IBM DB2 Query Management Facility Distributed Edition for Multiplatforms V8.1IBM United States Software Announcement 204-028
March 2, 2004
|At a glance|
DB2 QMF V8.1 IBM's biggest QMF release transforms business data into a visual information platform for the entire enterprise with visual data on demand. Highlights of this release include:
- Support for DB2 Universal Database® V8 functionality including DB2 Cube Views, long names, Unicode, and enhancements to SQL
- The ability to easily build OLAP analytics, SQL queries, pivot tables, and other business analysis and reports with simple drag-and-drop actions
- Visual information appliances such as executive dashboards that offer rich interactive functionality specific to virtually any information need
- A database explorer for easily browsing, identifying, and referencing database assets
- DB2 QMF for WebSphere, a tool that lets any Web browser become a low-maintenance thin client for visual on-demand access to enterprise DB2 business data
For ordering, contact:
Your IBM representative or IBM Americas Call Centers at
Back to top
DB2® Query Management Facility (QMF) Distributed Edition for Multiplatforms V8.1 exploits key new capabilities of DB2 V8. It creates an on demand business information platform to serve the needs of any role or responsibility across the enterprise. DB2 QMF has been dramatically enhanced with new data visualization, solution building, Web-enablement, and solution sharing capabilities. Now the DB2 QMF on demand platform provides users across the enterprise with:
- Drag-and-drop building of OLAP analytics, SQL queries, pivot tables, and other business analysis and reports
- Visual data "appliances," such as executive dashboards, that offer unique, visually rich, interactive functionality and interfaces specific to virtually any type of information task
- A database explorer for easily browsing and identifying database assets and other objects they may reference
- QMF for WebSphere®, allowing ordinary Web browsers to become "low maintenance" thin clients for visual on demand access to enterprise DB2 business data
DB2 QMF's long-standing success is built on a model that organizes business intelligence around the entire enterprise and extends it outward to support unique individual needs:
- Broad interfaces, including the Web and Windows
- Powerful, versatile data visualization
- Outstanding performance and reliability for accessing relational databases, and native support for advanced features of current DB2 releases
- Solution building, task automation, and data integration for end users, administrators, and developers
- Centralized solution sharing, across database and end-user platforms, to support best practices
- Strong control over a wide range of end-user activities, and excellent protection of valuable database server resources
Many more enhancements to implementation, management, connectivity, and ease of use have been implemented in DB2 QMF Distributed Edition. A complete listing is provided in the product online help facility, and on the Web at
DB2 QMF for WebSphere New component
DB2 QMF for WebSphere is the DB2 QMF family's browser-based portal to business information on demand. A new component as of this release, DB2 QMF for WebSphere is a completely reengineered version of Web-based data access previously released as QMF Query for Java.
DB2 QMF for WebSphere supports every WebSphere platform and makes Web
browsers "low maintenance" clients for DB2 UDB without plug-ins or
special downloads. Users can connect easily via an intranet or the
Internet to share many of the query, reporting, and OLAP functions found
in DB2 QMF Distributed Edition. Native support for DB2 UDB security and
centralized control over end-user permissions help protect database
resources as Web access is deployed across the organization.
Back to top
|Planned availability date|
March 26, 2004, electronic software
delivery, and media and documentation
Back to top
DB2 QMF Distributed Edition for Multiplatforms V8.1 offers significant new data visualization capabilities and many other enhancements, including:
- Support for DB2 Cube Views
- OLAP analytics made easy for novices with no knowledge of OLAP
- Drag and drop to create dynamic OLAP reports in minutes and slice, dice, and drill into analytical data
- Build multiple levels of summary and drill down to related data simply by dropping onto a layout
- Quickly create multiple viewpoints of data by positioning side dimensions, top dimensions, and measures
- Format long, complex reports for printing on common office printers
- Save reports for centralized sharing with other QMF for Windows and QMF for WebSphere users across the enterprise
- DB2 QMF Visionary Studio for building powerful visual information appliances such as executive dashboards
- Rapidly build and deploy without programming or compiling highly intuitive applications that let end users visually zoom into, analyze, and summarize data with unique, interactive behaviors
- Display data from multiple data sources simultaneously, in intuitive formats and images such as geospatial maps, charts, graphs, stop lights, meters, pick lists, familiar objects, custom graphics, and more
- Give end users access to all the data they need in the ways that make sense for the entire spectrum of job functions or skill levels
A new database explorer to:
- Visually navigate and inspect enterprise database assets, including database servers, databases, tables, views, queries, reports, and DB2 stored procedures
- Instantly analyze object dependencies such as, which tables are accessed by a given query
- Create customizable folders of "favorites" for easy navigation to frequently used resources
New query and report building capabilities, with emphasis throughout on visual drag-and-drop, including:
- A visual query builder that displays tables, columns, and SQL in an easy-to-manage layout
- New pivot tables with multiple levels of grouping on the horizontal and vertical axes
- A layout designer allowing easy manipulation of query results, such as the rapid creation of derived columns from returned columns
- Conditional formatting of query results, allowing specified values or thresholds to be automatically highlighted with colors or other attributes
- A new visual report facility, providing an intuitive drag-and-drop interface for building true WYSIWYG reports, featuring rich formatting and arbitrarily complex report structures
Close integration and cooperation of QMF for Windows and QMF Visionary:
- Simplified wizard-based interface for creating Visionary layouts from within QMF for Windows
- Integrated invocation of QMF Visionary Studio from QMF for Windows to add advanced features to layouts
- Playback of full Visionary worlds within a QMF for Windows document window
- Storage of Visionary layouts and worlds in the QMF catalog, with display in the Database Explorer
- Easy import of existing QMF queries into QMF Visionary Studio when building worlds
Enhancements for ODBC access to non-DB2 databases:
- New availability of the prompted query view and the new query diagram view for building queries
- Removal of requirement for a QMF catalog when accessing an ODBC data source, easing deployment of DB2 QMF for non-DB2 users
In this release, DB2 QMF Distributed Edition also provides multiple technical enhancements to support faster development and implementation of enterprise-wide solutions, including:
- SQL Expression Builder updates to support new SQL functions in DB2 UDB for Linux, UNIX®, and Windows V8 and DB2 UDB for z/OS®, V8
- A new internal expression language for supporting complex conditions, form calculations, and custom definitions, eliminating the previously required installation of Object REXX
- Data import and export as XML, including a simple XSL stylesheet for formatting of exported XML
- Automatic migration or creation of catalogs to support long names (and related operations, such as rebinding of host variables with increased lengths), allowing faster transition from prior versions of DB2 QMF and DB2 UDB
DB2 QMF for WebSphere New offering
Features of this new offering include:
- A completely redesigned and enhanced multiple document interface, with more functionality available throughout Support for DB2 Cube Views, allowing drag-and-drop development of OLAP analysis
- Drag-and-drop grouping and formatting of query results
- An SQL expression builder, similar to the expression builder of DB2 QMF for Windows
- User edit routines, written in Java, allowing task automation, and a Java class API and Web service API for application integration on Web Application Servers
- Administrative and governing functions integrated with the DB2 QMF for Windows administrator, providing unified management of both Windows and Web-based users
DB2 QMF for WebSphere makes it possible for an enterprise of any size to immediately deploy to the
Web both the existing DB2 QMF business assets developed over time and already essential to business
operations, as well as solution development capabilities to end users of any level of experience.
Back to top
DB2 QMF Distributed Edition has fully completed a multirelease transition, and has been transformed by a broad new set of capabilities that now position DB2 QMF as a key technology for enabling all-inclusive, on demand business intelligence across the enterprise. Highlights of this transition are as follows:
- From drag and drop queries to complex global business analysis, supporting all user skill levels, all DB2 databases, and federated databases
- From queries and reports to visual data on demand, including interactive analytics
- From finite distribution to universal distribution
- From "back room" business processes to the front lines of business wherever information is needed to do a job
DB2 QMF is already in the data centers of IBM's best customers worldwide, is constantly growing its revenue base, and is poised to be one of the key technologies that will contribute to the success of the IBM on demand computing initiative in the coming years. DB2 QMF's unique position in the worldwide corporate market make it an ideal platform for customers to discover that an on demand computing approach is both feasible and beneficial and can have immediate impact in any chosen area of their business.
An important premise of DB2 QMF Distributed Edition positioning within the business intelligence
space may be summarized as "breadth and depth." While other offerings may have depth in a particular
function, they usually show limitations in other areas, such as the ability to customize, integrate,
or scale. In contrast, DB2 QMF Distributed Edition offers data processing functions previously
found only in multiple separate competing products. It scales extremely well and can be customized
to the requirements of virtually any knowledge worker, whether a high-level executive, a skilled
analyst, or the average manager, sales person, or trainee. In addition, DB2 QMF Distributed Edition
has anticipated the industry migration to broadly dispersed clients that serves to make information
resources both universally available and universally affordable essential characteristics of
true on demand business intelligence.
Back to top
Refer to Software Announcement 202-045 , dated February 26, 2002.
Back to top
Product information is available through the Offering Information Web site at
Also, through the Passport Advantage® Web site at
Back to top
No hard copy publications are shipped with this product, but soft copy product information is included on the product CDs.
The IBM Publications Center
The Publications Center is a worldwide central repository for IBM product publications and marketing material with a catalog of 70,000 items. Extensive search facilities are provided. Payment options for orders are via credit card or customer number. A large number of publications are available online in various file formats, and they can all be downloaded free of charge.
The IBM Publications Notification System
The Publications Notification System (PNS) enables subscribers to set up profiles of interest by order number/product number. PNS subscribers automatically receive notifications by e-mail of all new publications defined in their profiles. These may then be ordered/downloaded via the Publications Center.
The following publications can be ordered in English:
Order Publication title number Installing and Managing DB2(R) QMF(TM) GC18-7448 for Windows(TM) and DB2 QMF for WebSphere(R) Getting Started with DB2 QMF for SC18-7449 Windows and DB2 QMF for WebSphere DB2 QMF Visionary Studio Getting GC18-9092 Started Guide DB2 QMF Visionary Studio SC18-9093 Developer's Guide
Back to top
DB2 QMF Distributed Edition for Multiplatforms V8.1
DB2 QMF for Windows requires a workstation that supports:
- A Windows 32-bit operating system
- Network connectivity
- Approximately 70 MB of HDD space
- A minimum of 128 MB of RAM
DB2 QMF for WebSphere hardware requirements include those required for the supported version of
WebSphere Application Server, plus:
- Approximately 230 MB of HDD space
DB2 QMF Visionary Studio requires a workstation that supports:
- A Windows 32-bit operating system
- Network connectivity
- Approximately 30 MB of HDD space (100 MB of HDD space are required for developing Visionary worlds that include image and audio content)
- A minimum of 64 MB of RAM
- A Pentium processor
DB2 Query Management Facility (QMF) for Windows V8.1 runs on 32-bit operating systems as follows:
- Microsoft Windows 98
- Microsoft Windows ME
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 SP6a
- Microsoft Windows 2000
- Microsoft Windows XP
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003
DB2 QMF for Windows V8.1 requires at least one of the following on each user machine for database client access:
- A TCP/IP product that provides a WinSock, V1.1 interface
- An SNA product that provides a CPI-C interface
- The DB2 UDB Runtime Client, V7.2, or later
- One or more ODBC 2.x or 3.x drivers
DB2 QMF for Windows for Multiplatforms V8.1 supports the following DB2 UDB servers:
Product Version DB2 for iSeries(TM) V5.2, V5.1 DB2 Universal Database(R) for V8.1, V7.2 Linux, UNIX(R), and Windows
The following DB2 QMF for Windows V8.1 functions have software dependencies:
IBM Object REXX Interpreter Edition V2.1 (5639-M69), or later, is required for the following QMF for
- Procedures with logic
- @ IF REXX function
- The DB2 QMF for Windows Spatial Viewer requires DB2 Spatial Extender with DB2 UDB Enterprise Edition (EE), or DB2 UDB Enterprise Extended Edition (EEE) V7.2 with Fixpak 5, or DB2 Spatial Extender V8.1 with DB2 UDB ESE V8.1
- Performing DB2 IM Scoring functions via the DB2 QMF for Windows Expression Builder requires DB2 UDB Enterprise Extended Edition V7.2 (5724-A60) or DB2 UDB Enterprise Server Edition V8.1 (5724-B93)
- Use of DB2 QMF for Windows V8.1 with natural language queries requires English Wizard 3.1 or EasyAsk 6.0 from IBM Business Partner Linguistic Technologies
Use of spreadsheet application add-ins with DB2 QMF for Windows requires one or both of:
- Microsoft Excel 7.0, or later
- Lotus1-2-3 Millennium Edition, or later
- DB2 QMF for Windows OLAP support requires DB2 Cube Views, V8.1, or later, on the DB2 server that is accessed
Use of charting in spreadsheet applications with DB2 QMF for Windows requires one or both of:
- Microsoft Excel 97, or later
- Lotus® 1-2-3® Millennium Edition, or later
The software requirements for QMF for WebSphere V8.1 are as follows:
- QMF for WebSphere V8.1 runs on WebSphere Application Server (WAS), V4.0, or later, on any platform supported by WAS
on each user machine:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer, V5.5, or later
- Netscape Navigator, V6.2, or later
QMF for WebSphere for Multiplatforms V8.1 requires client support from one of the following DB2 UDB products on the WAS server machine, depending on the platform:
Platform and DB2 UDB Client Version iSeries DB2 for iSeries V5.2, V5.1 Linux, UNIX, Windows DB2 UDB V8.1, V7.2
QMF for WebSphere for Multiplatforms V8.1 supports the following DB2 servers:
Product Version DB2 for iSeries V5.2, V5.1 DB2 UDB for Linux, UNIX, V8.1, V7.2 and Windows
The following DB2 QMF for WebSphere V8.1 functions have software dependencies:
- Performing DB2 IM Scoring functions via the DB2 QMF for WebSphere Expression Builder requires DB2 UDB Enterprise Extended Edition V7.2 (5724-A60) or DB2 UDB Enterprise Server Edition V8.1 (5724-B93)
- DB2 QMF for WebSphere OLAP support requires DB2 Cube Views, V8.1, or later, on the DB2 server that is accessed
DB2 QMF Visionary Studio V8.1 runs on 32-bit operating systems as follows:
- Microsoft Windows 98
- Microsoft Windows ME
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 SP4
- Microsoft Windows 2000, Professional or Server
- Microsoft Windows XP, Professional or Home Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003
QMF Visionary Studio V8.1 requires the following on each user machine for database client access:
- ODBC, V 3.510.4202.0 or later
- ODBC Data Source Administrator
- DB2 UDB for Windows Runtime Client, V8.1 or 7.2, for all DB2 database servers that are accessed by Visionary worlds
- ODBC drivers for all other (non-DB2) database servers that are accessed by Visionary worlds
QMF Visionary Studio for Multiplatforms V8.1 supports the following DB2 UDB servers:
Product Version DB2 for iSeries V5.2, V5.1 DB2 Universal Database for V8.1, V7.2 Linux, UNIX, and Windows
QMF Visionary Studio for Multiplatforms V8.1 supports the following non-DB2 servers:
Product Version Red Brick(TM) Decision Server V5.1.7, or later Informix(TM) Dynamic Server 2000 Informix Dynamic Server with V9.x, and later Universal Data Option Informix Extended Parallel V8.3, and later Server INFORMIX-OnLine Dynamic Server V7.3, and later Microsoft Access 2000, and later Microsoft SQL Server 7.0, and later Oracle 7, 8i, 9i, and later
Performance considerations: All factors relevant to performance are described in the Installing and Managing QMF for Windows and DB2 QMF for WebSphere publication, which ships on CD-ROM with the product.
Direct customer support: Direct customer support is provided by IBM Operational Support Services Support Line. This fee service enhances customers' productivity by providing voice and electronic access into the IBM support organization. IBM Operational Support Services Support Line will help answer questions pertaining to usage and suspected software defects for eligible products.
Installation and technical support is provided by Global Services. For more information call 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968).
Software Maintenance, previously referred to as Subscription and Technical Support, is now included in the Passport Advantage Agreement. Installation and technical support for the products announced in this letter is provided by the Software Maintenance offering of the IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement. This fee service enhances customer productivity by providing voice and electronic access into the IBM support organizations.
For additional information, contact your IBM representative or IBM Business Partner, or refer to the IBM software support Web site at
- QMF for Windows for Multiplatforms V8.1
- QMF for WebSphere for Multiplatforms V8.1
- QMF Visionary Studio V8.1
Security, auditability, and control
The announced product uses the security and auditability features of the supported database servers and their operating systems.
The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security features,
administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and communication
Back to top
This product is only available via Passport Advantage. It is not available as shrinkwrap.
Licensed Product Product function group category title DB2 QMF IBM Database Database Management Management Other Other
QMF for Windows for DB2 Workstation Databases is a product with a single charge unit, based on SMP processor install. (The base program package includes the first processor.) QMF for Windows is licensed to access, on a per DB2 server basis, machines running DB2 workstation databases only. Access to host databases, including via DB2 Federated (DataJoiner®) capability, is not authorized.
Passport Advantage program licenses
DB2 QMF Distributed Edition
Part Part description number DB2 QMF DB2 QMF Distributed Edition D5ASTLL Processors License & SW Maintenance 12 Months DB2 QMF Distributed Edition D5ASWLL Processors SW Maintenance Reinstatement 12 M DB2 QMF Distributed Edition E1ASVLL Processors SW Maintenance Annual Renewal
Passport Advantage supply
Part Part description number DB2 QMF Distributed Edition V8.1.0 Media Pack BB0IUML Multilingual (Portuguese, French, Danish, Italian Swiss, Hebrew, Arabic, French Canadian, German Swiss, Korean, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, French Belgian, German, Swedish, Japanese, Chinese -- Traditional, English U.S., French Swiss, Italian) Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows Me CD-ROM Digital Disk -- ISO 9660 Standard V8.1.0
Passport Advantage customer: Media pack entitlement details
Customers with active maintenance or subscription for the products listed below are entitled to receive the corresponding media pack.
DB2 QMF Distributed Edition V8.1.0
Entitled maintenance offerings Media packs Part description description number DB2 QMF WIN DB2 QMF Distributed BB0IUML 1ST Edition PROCESSOR Multilingual (Portuguese, French, Danish, Italian Swiss, Hebrew, Arabic, French Canadian, German Swiss, Korean, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, French Belgian, German, Swedish, Japanese, Chinese -- Traditional, English U.S., French Swiss, Italian) Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows Me CD-ROM Digital Disk -- ISO 9660 Standard
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
Agreement: IBM International Program License Agreement. Proofs of Entitlement are required for all authorized use.
Part number products only, offered outside of Passport Advantage, where applicable, are license only and do not include Software Maintenance.
License information form numbers
Program Form Program name number number DB2 QMF 5724-E86 GC18-7721 Distributed Edition
Limited warranty: Yes
Warranty: This program has warranty for a minimum of one year from acquisition from IBM or authorized Business Partner. The warranty provided to the customer, for at least one year from acquisition, is access to data bases (read Web sites) for program information, FAQs, including any known fixes to defects, which the customer can download or obtain otherwise and install at their leisure.
Program technical support: Technical Support of a program product will be available for a minimum of three years from the general availability date, as long as your Software Maintenance is in effect. This Technical Support allows you to obtain assistance (via telephone or electronic means) from IBM for product-specific, task-oriented questions regarding the installation and operation of the program product. Software Maintenance also provides you with access to updates, releases, and versions of the program. Customers will be notified, via announcement letter, of discontinuance of support with 12 months' notice. If you require additional technical support from IBM, including an extension of support beyond the discontinuance date, contact your IBM representative or Business Partner. This extension may be available for a fee.
Money-back guarantee: If for any reason you are dissatisfied with the program, return it within 30 days from the invoice date to the party (either IBM or its reseller) from whom you acquired it for a refund. This applies only to your first acquisition of the program.
Copy and use on home/portable computer: No
Volume Orders (IVO): No
Passport Advantage applies: Yes, and through the Passport Advantage Web site at
Usage restriction: Yes
This program license authorizes you to access DB2 UDB databases on iSeries and DB2 UDB databases on Linux, UNIX, or Windows only. Access to host databases, including via IBM Information Integrator, is not authorized.
Software maintenance applies: Yes
Software Maintenance, previously referred to as Subscription and Technical Support, is now included in the Passport Advantage agreement. Installation and technical support for the products announced in this letter are provided by the Software Maintenance offering of the IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement. This fee service enhances customer productivity by providing voice and electronic access into the IBM support organizations.
IBM includes one year of Software Maintenance with the initial license acquisition of each program acquired. The initial period of Software Maintenance can be extended by the purchase of a renewal option that is available.
While your Software Maintenance is in effect: IBM provides you assistance for your routine, short duration installation and usage (how-to) questions, and code-related questions. IBM provides assistance via telephone and, if available, electronic access, only to your information systems (IS) technical support personnel during the normal business hours (published prime shift hours) of your IBM support center. (This assistance is not available to your end users.) IBM provides Severity 1 assistance 24 hours a day, every day of the year. For additional details, consult your IBM Software Support Guide at
Software Maintenance does not include assistance for the design and development of applications, your use of programs in other than their specified operating environment, or failures caused by products for which IBM is not responsible under this agreement.
For more information, about the Passport Advantage Agreement, refer to the IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement Software Announcement 201-202 , dated July 10, 2001, or visit the Passport Advantage Web site at
IBM operational support services Support line: No
iSeries software subscription applies:
Back to top
The prices provided in this announcement are suggested retail prices for the U.S. only and are provided for your information only. Dealer prices may vary, and prices may also vary by country. Prices are subject to change without notice. For additional information and current prices, contact your local IBM representative.
For Passport Advantage information and charges, contact your IBM representative or authorized IBM Business Partner. For additional information about the Passport Advantage offering, visit the following Web site:
To order, contact the Americas Call Centers, your local IBM representative, or your IBM Business Partner.
To identify your local IBM Business Partner or IBM representative, call
Back to top
|IBM Electronic Services|
IBM Global Services has transformed its delivery of hardware and software support services to put you on the road to higher systems availability. IBM Electronic Services is a Web-enabled solution that provides you with an exclusive, no-additional-charge enhancement to the service and support on the IBM eServer®. You should benefit from greater system availability due to faster problem resolution and preemptive monitoring. IBM Electronic Services is comprised of two separate but complementary elements: IBM Electronic Services news page and IBM Electronic Service Agent.
IBM Electronic Services news page provides you with a single Internet entry point that replaces the multiple entry points traditionally used by customers to access IBM Internet services and support. By using the news page, it enables you to gain easier access to IBM resources for assistance in resolving technical problems.
The IBM Electronic Service Agent is no-additional charge software that resides on your IBM eServer system. It is designed to proactively monitor events and transmit system inventory information to IBM on a periodic customer-defined timetable. The IBM Electronic Service Agent tracks system inventory, hardware error logs and performance information. If the server is under a current IBM maintenance service agreement or within the IBM Warranty period, the Service Agent automatically reports hardware problems to IBM. Early knowledge about potential problems enables IBM to provide proactive service that maintains higher system availability and performance. In addition, information collected through the Service Agent will be made available to IBM service support representatives when they are helping answer your questions or diagnosing problems.
To learn how IBM Electronic Services can work for you, visit
Back to top
To order, contact the Americas Call Centers or your local IBM representative.
To identify your local IBM representative, call 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968).
Phone: 800-IBM-CALL (426-2255) Fax: 800-2IBM-FAX (242-6329) Internet: firstname.lastname@example.org Mail: IBM Americas Call Centers Dept: IBM CALL, 6th Floor 105 Moatfield Drive North York, Ontario Canada M3B 3R1 Reference: VE001
The Americas Call Centers, our national direct marketing organization, can add your name to the mailing list for catalogs of IBM products.
Note: Shipments will begin after the planned availability date.
Back to top