IBM DB2 Document Manager V8.2 extends document management services to DB2 Content Manager and Lotus Domino.DocIBM United States Software Announcement 203-355
December 17, 2003
|At a glance|
DB2 Document Manager offers a Web-based client and extended document services for DB2 Content Manager and Lotus Domino.Doc. DB2 Document Manager adds key capabilities to DB2 Content Manager and Lotus Domino.Doc that are important when managing documents, including:
- Compound document support
- Rules-based document life-cycle management
- Desktop application integration
- Support for engineering file formats
- Renditioning services
- Remote printing and plotting
- Process management
- Bulk document loading
- Automated notification
For ordering, contact:
Your IBM representative or IBM Americas Call Centers at
Back to top
Documents are at the heart of many complex and critical business operations, including product development, financial reporting, marketing, customer and channel support, facilities management, regulatory compliance, and ISO 9000/14000 certifications. Document management services are key to the success of these business operations and include version and rendition management, auditing, compound document support, and life-cycle management based on your organization's rules for document management.
DB2® Document Manager manages the various states and transitions that occur throughout the life of a document, from creation to final disposition. In doing so DB2 Document Manager fosters collaborative document creation and management across groups of globally dispersed creators, contributors, reviewers, and approvers, ensuring that accurate and up-to-date documents are available on demand, where and when they are needed.
Many documents are actually composed of multiple interrelated components. For example, a standard operating procedure manual might consist of a word processing file that details procedures, an embedded spreadsheet that defines the scheduling, and a CAD document that displays the needed equipment detail (this CAD document may itself be composed of multiple components, including the drawing layers and reference files). In order to effectively manage these compound documents, DB2 Document Manager manages the relationships between all of these components, including their individual versions. When used with DB2 Content Manager, DB2 Document Manager ensures structural and referential integrity through the underlying capabilities of DB2 Content Manager data modeling.
The process of document creation itself can vary based on the type of document, which would determine who is involved in the review and approval process. Rules established by various regulatory agencies or other internal or external authorities may also affect this process. These rules-based document creation processes are covered by a concept known as document life-cycle management. DB2 Document Manager supports document life-cycle management by allowing the administrator to configure document life-cycle rules based on a simple, menu-based interface. No programming is required to customize a document approval and release process.
DB2 Document Manager also provides revision management that ensures that only the approved revision
is available to general users. And when implemented along with IBM DB2 Records Manager, when users
add documents to the document library and assign them to a document type, the appropriate retention
rules and actions are applied. Document retention becomes completely transparent to the user. With
Records Manager, users have the added security of knowing that appropriate retention rules are
Back to top
DB2 Document Manager requires the use of one of the following content repositories:
- DB2 Content Manager V8.2
- Lotus Domino.Doc V3.1
- FileNet Panagon Content Services V5.1.1 or V5.2
Back to top
|Planned availability dates|
- December 19, 2003: Electronic software delivery
- January 23, 2004: Media pack on CD-ROM
Back to top
DB2 Document Manager provides a scalable and extensible platform for document management that easily integrates across existing business applications and processes. Tightly integrated with IBM information management and collaborative solutions, including DB2 Content Manager, DB2 Records Manager, Lotus® Sametime®, and Lotus Domino.Doc®.
DB2 Document Manager delivers powerful, easy-to-use tools that manage each document's life cycle, security, and relationships, helping organizations to manage even their most complex document requirements and efficiently develop and distribute critical business documents across their enterprise.
DB2 Document Manager delivers proven techniques and tools to provide enterprise-scale document management services coupled with a robust, scalable, enterprise-capable repository DB2 Content Manager. DB2 Document Manager manages simple to compound documents (documents comprised of multiple components such as a Microsoft Word document with an embedded Microsoft Excel spreadsheet and an embedded GIFF image). Each component's life cycle and security is managed by DB2 Document Manager individually while the appropriate interrelationships are maintained. These interrelationships of managed components may affect the retention of individual components.
Through its integration with DB2 Records Manager, DB2 Document Manager ensures that the appropriate business rules are applied when related documents of record are processed. Each component is efficiently stored and managed in the DB2 Content Manager repository while exploiting the data modeling capabilities of the repository to create the interrelationships and maintain referential integrity of these related components.
The DB2 Document Manager service's extend the capabilities of the DB2 Content Manager and Lotus Domino.Doc repository services by delivering:
Compound document management manage relationships between content items throughout their life
- Relate individual components with each other to create a single, virtual entity
- Maintain referential integrity of component relationships
- Support XML instances with components
- Provide version control for the components as well as the single entity
- Deliver an easy-to-use Web-based client to create, search, and browse documents (simple or compound) and navigate through the interrelationships
Application integration surfacing the strength of the repository through everyday business
- Exchange property values between Microsoft Office documents and the library
- Automatically detect related components and add them to the library
- Provide administrator flexibility in assigning DB2 Document Manager commands to applications
- Microsoft Office 2000 and XP
- Lotus Notes®
- Microsoft Outlook
- AutoCAD 2000, and later
Life-cycle management manage the state and security of content throughout its life
- Employ configurable, rules-based document life-cycle management
- Use simple, menu-driven administrative interface
- Control documents by revisions
- Automate change management
- Use drag and drop state control
Renditioning create and maintain uneditable renditions of documents
- Generation of PDF, TIFF, thumbnail, and OCR text renditions
- Event-based, process-driven, or dynamic generation
- Renditions made available to the general population while original format is secured
Remote printing/plotting dynamically and remotely release documents for printing or plotting
- Select one or more documents for printing or plotting to any available output device on the WAN
- Spool documents for unattended output
- Use the original application to generate print-ready file for output
- Automate watermark placement on output
Bulk loading facility simplify and secure the loading of documents
- Provide unattended batch loading of documents into the library
- Include support for CAD documents and reference files
- Automatically detect document relationships
Notification manage automated notification via e-mail or instant messaging
Automatically send e-mails or instant messages to a distribution list triggered by user-defined
- Distribution lists may include individual users or groups.
- Work seamlessly with e-mail and instant messaging clients.
Messages may contain:
- Property information
- Document copies or links
- Automatically send e-mails or instant messages to a distribution list triggered by user-defined events.
Process management automate document control procedures
- Apply business rules to automate processes without programming.
- Enforce approval holds before a process occurs.
- Coordinate retention management and interact with DB2 Records Manager to apply corporate record retention rules.
- Pass documents to external applications for special processing.
Web-based end-user interface globally extend and simplify user interaction with the document
- Explorer-like interface.
- Extensive foldering capabilities to organize documents.
- Complex searches may be defined and associated with a unique folder.
- Drag documents from Microsoft Windows Explorer to the DB2 Document Manager desktop to add to the library.
- Messaging aware.
- Completely and easily configurable.
The combination of DB2 Document Manager and DB2 Content Manager or Lotus Domino.Doc addresses the needs and desires of large and small enterprises, including:
Control and management of business documents
- Standard operating procedure manuals
- Quality and safety control documents
- Human Resources policies and procedures
- Product documentation
Management of brand identity
- Ensure that the most current, approved brand mark is in use across all documents embedding the mark.
- Maintain a single copy (original editable format plus various uneditable renditions) and let general users embed a rendition.
- Only the current, approved renditions are available to general users.
Management of project documents
- Create a project folder hierarchy containing all project-related documents.
- Secure content through process management and life-cycle management services.
- At completion of project, automatically submit a collection of, or possibly all, project documents for unattended printing to a remote output device.
Enablement of compliance for regulated entities or certifications
Secure, manage, retain, and track documents to meet the requirements of these types and others:
- ISO 9000 / 14000
- DoD 5015.2
- SEC 17A-4
- 21 CFR 11
- Secure, manage, retain, and track documents to meet the requirements of these types and others:
Enablement for collaborative creation and editing of documents
- Enable document authoring and editing to be shared across departmental and geographical borders.
- Enable Web-based access to document library and services.
- Enable e-mail and instant messaging.
- Manage documents that accurately describe and detail the facility.
- Enable compliance with regulatory guidelines.
- Initiate document change processes without affecting currently approved and released documents.
DB2 Document Manager currently supports the following content repositories:
- DB2 Content Manager V8.2
- Lotus Domino.Doc V3.1
- FileNet Panagon Content Services V5.1.1 and V5.2
DB2 Document Manager broadens the capabilities of the award-winning IBM Enterprise Content
Management portfolio, delivering enterprise-scale document management services and tools combined
with the most scalable and complete content repositories in the industry DB2 Content
Manager and Lotus Domino.Doc.
Back to top
Services offerings available
Installation and design service offerings, and product education are available from IBM Global Services, the IBM Software Services DB2 team, and IBM Business Partners. These resources are identified on the DB2 Content Manager Web site.
The IBM Global Services Content Management practice can provide services to help you migrate to the new IBM offering. In addition, IBM Global Services has many success stories in Siebel integration, SAP integrated solutions, customer care solutions, and Web content management, along with the experience to implement highly successful projects. There are also many complementary corresponding partner solutions available, built upon the DB2 Content Manager infrastructure.
Back to top
Product information is available through the Offering Information Web site at:
Product information is also available through the Passport Advantage® Web site at:
Back to top
DB2® Document Manager V8.2 publications are available and included with
Back to top
The exact configuration you need to support your environment with satisfactory response time will vary depending on the size of the objects you are working with and other factors. Individual display response times vary depending on workstation speed, memory, size of objects, and network and server workload. The following minimum recommended configurations need to be evaluated and adjusted according to your unique requirements. Disk space recommendations are for the product installation and working space only. The actual hard disk space required varies, depending upon your installation.
A Microsoft Windows Server platform with the following:
Component Minimum Recommended DB2 Document Manager Server Processor 450 MHz 1 GHz RAM 256 MB 512 MB Disk space 100 MB 100 MB DB2 Document Manager Client Processor 233 MHz 350 MHz RAM 96 MB 192 MB Disk space 30 MB 30 MB
Component Version Server OS Windows 2000 Server SP2, or later Client OS Windows 2000 Professional SP2, or later Windows NT(TM) 4 SP6a Windows XP IIS and Browser Microsoft(TM) IIS 4.0, or later (for Web publishing) Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0, or later Repository DB2 Content Manager V8.2 Lotus(R) Domino.Doc(R) V3.1 FileNet Panagon V5.1.1 or V5.2 Content Services
Packaging: DB2 Document Manager V8.2
DB2 Document Manager (1 CD)
Note: The system administrator's guide is included on the media CD.
This program, when downloaded from a Web site, contains the applicable IBM license agreement, and License Information (LI), if appropriate, and will be presented for acceptance at the time of installation of the program. The license and LI will be stored in a directory such as LICENSE.TXT for future reference.
Security, auditability, and control
DB2 Document Manager V8.2 uses the security and auditability features of the host hardware or software.
The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security features,
administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and communication
Back to top
Product Group: DB2 Content Management
Product Identifier Description (PID) DB2 Document Manager V8.2 (5724-H90)
Product Category: Content Management
DB2 Document Manager V8.2 has one charge unit: Per processor.
All orders for this product are placed through Passport Advantage.
- You should order the appropriate number of license and maintenance authorizations that meet your requirements.
- To receive shipment of the program media, you must order media packs in addition to your license authorizations.
- When your annual maintenance expires, you should order maintenance renewal to remain on active maintenance (subscription).
Explanation of terms
Charges per processor
Charges for this program are based on the number of processors that are attached or available, across one or more physical servers, for use by the program server components. Your license to the program entitles you to install any of the available program server components, so long as you have acquired authorizations for all of the processors that are attached or available to the program server components. The total number of processors attached or available may not exceed the number authorized as acquired under Passport Advantage. If the total number of attached or available processors exceeds the number of processors authorized through your acquisition under Passport Advantage, you must notify IBM or its reseller and acquire additional processor authorizations.
The program server components are as follows:
- DB2 Document Manager Server
- DB2 Document Manager Process Manager
- DB2 Document Manager Print and Plot Manager
- DB2 Document Manager Rendition Manager
Part Program name/description number DB2 Document Manager Processor D53JTLL LIC+SW MAINT 12 MO DB2 Document Manager Processor E017PLL ANNUAL SW MAINT RNWL DB2 Document Manager Processor D53JULL SW MAINT REINSTATE 12 MO DB2 Document Mgr Processor Day D53JVLL OOCoD Temp Use Chrg DB2 Document Manager Windows V8.2 BF01RIE Media Pack International English
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
Agreement: IBM International Program License Agreement. Proofs of Entitlement are required for all authorized use. Part number products only, offered outside of Passport Advantage, where applicable, are license only and do not include Software Maintenance.
LI form number: LI-00
Limited warranty: Yes
Warranty: This program has warranty for a minimum of one year from acquisition from IBM or authorized IBM Business Partner. The warranty provided to the customer, for at least one year from acquisition, is access to databases (read Web sites) for program information, FAQs, including any known fixes to defects, which the customer can download or obtain otherwise and install at leisure.
Money-back guarantee: If for any reason you are dissatisfied with the program, return it within 30 days from the invoice date to the party (either IBM or its reseller) from whom you acquired it for a refund. This applies only to your first acquisition of the program.
Copy and use on home/portable computer: No
Volume orders (IVO): No
Passport Advantage applies: Yes, and through the Passport Advantage Web site at:
Software Maintenance applies: Yes
Software Maintenance, previously referred to as Subscription and Technical Support, is now included in the Passport Advantage Agreement. Installation and technical support for the products announced in this letter is provided by the Software Maintenance offering of the IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement. This fee service enhances customer productivity by providing voice and/or electronic access into the IBM support organizations.
IBM includes one year of Software Maintenance with the initial license acquisition of each program acquired. The initial period of Software Maintenance can be extended by the purchase of a renewal option.
While your Software Maintenance is in effect, IBM provides you assistance for your routine, short-duration installation and usage (how-to) questions, and code-related questions. IBM provides assistance via telephone and, if available, electronic access, only to your information systems (IS) technical support personnel during the normal business hours (published prime shift hours) of your IBM support center. (This assistance is not available to your end users.) IBM provides Severity 1 assistance 24 hours a day, every day of the year. For additional details, consult your IBM Software Support Guide at:
Software Maintenance does not include assistance for the design and development of applications, your use of programs in other than their specified operating environment, or failures caused by products for which IBM is not responsible under this agreement.
For more information about the Passport Advantage Agreement, refer to the IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement, Software Announcement 201-202 , dated July 10, 2001, or visit the Passport Advantage Web site at:
IBM operational support services SoftwareXcel: No
AIX®/UNIX® upgrade protection applies: No
Entitled upgrade for current AIX/UNIX upgrade protection licensees: No
iSeries Software Subscription applies: No
Variable charges apply: No
Educational allowance available:
Back to top
Contact your IBM representative for charges information for this
Back to top
To order, contact the Americas Call Centers or your local IBM representative.
To identify your local IBM representative, call 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968).
Phone: 800-IBM-CALL (426-2255) Fax: 800-2IBM-FAX (242-6329) Internet: firstname.lastname@example.org Mail: The Americas Call Centers Dept. SE001 P.O. Box 2690 Atlanta, GA 30301-2690 Reference: SE001
The Americas Call Centers, our national direct marketing organization, can add your name to the mailing list for catalogs of IBM products.
Note: Shipments will begin after the planned availability date.
Back to top