IBM General Parallel File System for AIX, V2.2 delivers usability enhancementsIBM United States Software Announcement 203-332
December 9, 2003
|At a glance|
General Parallel File System (GPFS) for AIX is a powerful file system which provides file system services to parallel and serial applications. Improvements offered in Release 2 include:
- AIX V5.2 support
- Support for an interoperable environment with GPFS for Linux
- Back up and file access using Tivoli offerings
- Creation of a single-node nodeset
For ordering, contact:
Your IBM representative, an IBM Business Partner, or IBM Americas Call Centers at
Back to top
IBM General Parallel File System (GPFS) allows users shared access to files that may span multiple disk drives on multiple nodes. It offers many of the standard UNIX® file system interfaces allowing most applications to execute without modification or recompiling.
Release 2 of GPFS for AIX® delivers several usability enhancements:
- Extended access control list entries for a file or directory.
- Support of GPFS file access by a mix of Linux or AIX clients through Tivoli® SANergy.
- Support for the creation of a single-node nodeset, allowing stand-alone AIX servers to take advantage of the hierarchical storage manager (HSM) support and large block file performance offered by GPFS.
- Ability to create a logical copy, or snapshot, of a GPFS file system.
- A new parallel backup application using Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM).
- Support for shared GPFS access by IBM pSeries® nodes running GPFS for AIX and IBM xSeries® nodes running GPFS for Linux.
- New buffer pool management code designed to enhance overall performance.
- Support using AIX 5L EtherChannel.
Back to top
- AIX 5L for POWER V18.104.22.168
- pSeries servers
|Planned availability date|
December 19, 2003
Back to top
GPFS allows parallel applications simultaneous access to the same files, or different files, from any node in the GPFS nodeset while managing a high level of control over all file system operations. V2.2 is available for GPFS for AIX 5L. This new release runs with AIX V5.2 only.
The following capabilities are provided:
- The traditional file access modes of read, write, and execute have been extended to include a fourth access mode control. This can be used to specify who can manage the ACL for a file, other than the file owner and root user.
- If you do not have a high-speed switch in your cluster, GPFS V2.2 supports a Reliable Scalable Cluster Technologies (RSCT) peer domain (rpd) cluster running the IBM Virtual Shared Disk available with AIX V5.2 over LANs or aggregated LANs such as EtherChannel of 1 Gb/s or more.
- Support is provided for file access through Tivoli SANergy. This can allow heterogeneous access to GPFS file system data at high data rates using an extender technology which obtains metadata from GPFS but can directly access the disks that make up the file system. In GPFS, any node in the nodeset can serve as a MetaData Controller for a GPFS file system.
- GPFS provides the ability to create a logical copy, or "snapshot," of an entire GPFS file system at a single point in time. This snapshot capability is designed to allow a backup or mirror application to run concurrently with user updates and still obtain a consistent copy of the file system as of the time it was created.
- A parallel backup application using TSM Backup Client Interface is available for use with GPFS file systems. A new GPFS command enables root users to back up the files of a GPFS file system from TSM clients to storage via a TSM server. Once a file system has been backed up, the user can restore files using the interfaces provided by TSM.
- GPFS now supports an interoperable environment with GPFS for Linux on xSeries. You can mix AIX and Linux nodes running the respective GPFS offerings within the same cluster and provide access to shared file systems.
- Support for a larger GPFS pagepool allows for caching of larger data sets. Additional enhancements improve caching for very large data sets by utilizing re-access histories. Cache utilization is improved by lessening fragmentation.
Accessibility for people with disabilities
Operation by keyboard alone is a feature supported for people with disabilities.
Back to top
GPFS is particularly appropriate in an environment where the aggregate peak need for data exceeds
the capability of a distributed file system server. Key strengths of GPFS are its superior
scalability and performance, its ability to support extremely large files, and its failure recovery.
Back to top
|Statement of direction|
Support with the pSeries High Performance Switch (HPS) is available today with GPFS for AIX V2.1. IBM plans to provide support with the HPS and GPFS for AIX V2.2 in third quarter 2004.
All statements regarding IBM's plans, directions, and intent are subject to change or withdrawal
Back to top
Refer to Software Announcement 203-330 , dated December 9, 2003.
Refer to Software Announcement 203-331 , dated December 9, 2003.
Back to top
Product information is available through the Offering Information Web site:
Back to top
No publications are shipped with this program; however, the following publications are available from the Web:
IBM General Parallel File System for AIX 5L in a Parallel System
Support Programs (PSSP) Cluster:
- Concepts, Planning, and Installation Guide (GA22-7899)
- Administration and Programming Reference (SA22-7900)
- Problem Determination Guide (GA22-7901)
IBM General Parallel File System for AIX 5L in an HACMP Cluster:
- Concepts, Planning, and Installation Guide (GA22-7971)
- Administration and Programming Reference (SA22-7970)
- Problem Determination Guide (GA22-7972)
IBM General Parallel File System for AIX 5L in an RSCT peer domain:
- Concepts, Planning, and Installation Guide (GA22-7974)
- Administration and Programming Reference (SA22-7973)
- Problem Determination Guide (GA22-7975)
IBM General Parallel File System for Clusters:
- Concepts, Planning, and Installation Guide (GA22-7968)
- Administration and Programming Reference (SA22-7967)
- Problem Determination Guide (GA22-7969)
- IBM General Parallel File System: Data Management API Guide (GA22-7966)
These displayable manuals are viewable in PDF formats from:
They are also available at the IBM eServer® Cluster Information Center:
The IBM Publications Center:
The Publications Center is a worldwide central repository for IBM product publications and marketing material with a catalog of 70,000 items. Extensive search facilities are provided. Payment options for orders are via credit card or customer number. A large number of publications are available online in various file formats, and they can all be downloaded free of charge.
The IBM Publications Notification System
The Publications Notification System (PNS) enables subscribers to set up
profiles of interest by order number/product number. PNS subscribers
automatically receive notifications by e-mail of all new publications
defined in their profiles. These may then be ordered/downloaded via the
Back to top
IBM pSeries® servers, RS/6000® SP, or IBM eServer Cluster 1600 (with supported network interconnect)
Note: Visit the following GPFS FAQ Web site for a full list of formally qualified disk subsystems, switches (networks), and servers:
- AIX 5L for POWER, V5.2 (5765-E62) maintenance level 5200-01, or later
- APAR #IY50570 and IY50933 are required for GPFS V2.2
- In an High Availability Cluster Multi-Processing (HACMP) environment, HACMP V4.5 (5765-E54) or HACMP V5.1 (5765-F62) are supported.
- In a PSSP environment, PSSP V3.5 (5765-D51) is required with the IBM Virtual Shared Disk and Recoverable Virtual Shared Disk components of PSSP. APAR# IY49007 is required.
- The Parallel Backup application requires Tivoli® Storage Manager (TSM) V4.2, or later, release.
- For file access support, Tivoli SANergy V2.2.4 plus Patch level 22.214.171.124, is required.
For specific information regarding software requirements for your cluster type, refer to the appropriate GPFS Concepts, Planning, and Installation Guide located at this Web site:
Compatibility: GPFS supports interoperability between 32- and 64-bit GPFS kernel extensions within a nodeset.
Limitations: V2.2 does not support running in an AIX® V5.1 environment.
- All nodes within a GPFS nodeset must be upgraded to GPFS V2.2 at the same time.
- In order to use the 64-bit versions of the GPFS programming interfaces, you must recompile your code.
Performance considerations: The supported file system size is up to 100 TB, the supported scaling limit is 128 nodes.
This is the last release that will support the cluster type lc which is not created over an RSCT peer domain. If you have an lc cluster from a previous release of GPFS, it is suggested that you migrate to the new lc cluster in GPFS V2.2. Continued support of the previous lc cluster type will be phased out as GPFS cluster types are streamlined.
Packaging: GPFS for AIX 5L, V2.2 is distributed on a single CD-ROM (LCD4-6647). The License Information (LI) is provided with the product in softcopy. Publications are not shipped on the product media but are available online.
Security, auditability, and control
GPFS uses the security and auditability features of the AIX 5L, V5.2 operating system.
The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security features,
administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and communication
Back to top
GPFS V2.2 has one charge unit based on the active number of processors in the server or cluster running GPFS for the supported operating environment. A new order includes one-year IBM Software Maintenance. Upgrades may be acquired via the IBM Software Maintenance agreement up to the current level of use authorized for the qualifying program.
Program name: GPFS for AIX 5L, V2.2
New users of GPFS for AIX, V2.2 should specify type 5765, model F64, and the one-time charge (OTC) feature number with a quantity equal to the total number of active processors in the server or cluster running the supported operating system in which GPFS will be installed.
OTC Program feature Description number number Per active processor 5765-F64 0005 Block of 250 active processors(1) 5765-F64 0006
- The feature for a block of 250 active processors is provided for convenience with large orders. A quantity of one for this feature will order a license for 250 active processors.
Media supply Program name Medium feature number GPFS for AIX, V2.2 CD-ROM 5819
Ordering information for IBM Software Maintenance
This software license includes IBM Software Maintenance, previously referred to as Software Subscription and Technical Support. All distributed software licenses include Software Maintenance for a period of 12 months from the date of acquisition. Extending coverage for a total of three years from date of acquisition may be elected.
For a new user to register for future upgrades of the program described in this announcement, specify 5771-GPF for one-year registration, or 5773-GPF for three-year registration and the billing feature with a quantity equal to the number of licenses in the base 5765-F64 license contract.
Customers who have current maintenance coverage are entitled to receive GPFS for AIX, V2.2 at no additional charge.
For existing customers of GPFS for AIX, V1 (5765-B95) or V2 (5765-F64) who wish to renew their Software Maintenance contract, specify the renewal feature for one-year (5771-GPF) or three-years (5773-GPF) for a quantity equal to the total number of active processors in your current cluster or server. If maintenance has expired (or you are new to Software Maintenance), specify the after-license feature number.
Note: The appropriate billing features must have been previously purchased and must currently be on a customer's record as proof of eligibility to receive this upgrade, and future upgrades, at no additional charge.
- The appropriate one-year registration feature (no additional charge feature) will transfer automatically to the customer order record when one-year 5771-GPF is selected.
- Customers should select the renewal billing feature for one- or three-year contract renewal.
- Customers should select the maintenance-after-license billing feature to re-enter one of the programs after a contract has lapsed.
OTC one-year Software Maintenance (5771-GPF)
Maint. after- Registration Renewal license (no charge) billing billing feature feature feature Program name number number number GPFS for AIX, V2.2 (Current licensee supply feature number 5829) Per active 0467 0469 0471 processor Block of 250 0468 0470 0472
OTC three-year Software Maintenance (5773-GPF)
Maint. after- Registration Renewal license (no charge) billing billing feature feature feature Program name number(2) number number GPFS for AIX, V2.2 (Current licensee supply feature number 5829) Per active 0419 0421 0423 processor Block of 250 0420 0422 0424
- The registration features for 5773-GPF are priced for the second and third years only of the three-year contract.
Customization option (5765-F64):
Select the following feature number to customize your order with this delivery option if desired. This feature can be specified on the initial or MES orders.
Local IBM Office Expedite (for IBM use only), feature number 3445
Withdrawal of customization features: The following customization features are being withdrawn for 5765-F64 as of December 9, 2003:
Feature Program name number GPFS for AIX 5L 3444 3470
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
Agreement: IBM International Program License Agreement. Proofs of Entitlement (PoE) are required for all authorized use.
This software license includes Software Maintenance, previously referred to as Software Subscription and Technical Support.
The following agreements apply for maintenance and do not require customer signatures:
- IBM Agreement for Acquisition of Support (Z125-6011)
- Addendum for Support (Software Maintenance) for Select iSeries and pSeries Programs (Z125-6495)
Limited warranty applies: Yes
Warranty: This program has warranty for a minimum of one year from acquisition from IBM or an authorized IBM Business Partner. The warranty provided to the customer, for at least one year from acquisition, is access to databases (read Web sites) for program information, FAQs, including any known fixes to defects, which the customer can download or obtain otherwise and install at their leisure.
Money back guarantee: If for any reason you are dissatisfied with the program, return it within 30 days from the invoice date, to the party (either IBM or its reseller) from whom you acquired it, for a refund. This applies only to your first acquisition of the program.
Program technical support: Technical support of a program product will be available for a minimum of three years from the general availability date, as long as your Software Maintenance is in effect. This technical support allows you to obtain assistance (via telephone or electronic means) from IBM for product-specific, task-oriented questions regarding the installation and operation of the program product. Software Maintenance also provides you with access to updates, releases, and versions of the program.
Copy and use on home/portable computer: No
Volume Orders (IVO): Yes, contact your IBM representative.
Passport Advantage® applies: No
Software Maintenance applies: Yes
IBM Software Maintenance is a one-year or three-year contract offering that enables customers to maintain software product version and release currency, with voice support during normal business hours included at no additional charge for the first year, for selected AIX and UNIX®-based software products at a predetermined cost. One year of Software Maintenance is included in the price of the original license. For products participating in IBM Software Maintenance, customers can receive all software product version and release upgrades and voice support, announced during the contract period. If customers allow either the one-year or three-year software maintenance offering to expire without renewal, there will be a "Maintenance-after-license" option to enable reinstatement in the Software Maintenance offering, on a product by product basis.
The following is general information regarding the Software Maintenance agreement:
- Each eligible licensed software program will include one year of Software Maintenance (Software Subscription and Technical Support) in the price of the license.
- A one- and three-year prepay option (represented by two separate type/models) associated with each eligible licensed program are available.
- The Software Maintenance type/models will have the same pricing structure as the license type/models they are associated with.
Each one- and three-year Software Maintenance program number will have three sets of feature numbers
for each priced entity:
- A no-charge registration feature for the one-year contracts and a two-year priced feature (since the first year is included in the price of that license) for the three-year contracts.
- A renewal feature of one or three years.
- A Software Maintenance "after license" charge for customers who want to renew but have lapsed coverage.
- The Software Maintenance order generated for this product will be a new order and have a new starting/ending period, separate from the one for the license already in effect.
Definition of software upgrade: An upgrade is either a new version (3.x.x to 4.x.x) or a new release (x.3.x to x.4.x) of an IBM program announced as eligible for which a customer enrolled under the IBM Software Maintenance. Software Maintenance entitles customers to future upgrades from only the latest announced version or release of an available eligible product.
Upgrades do not include programs sold separately from the enrolled program, but enhance the performance of that program, or are considered add-ons or utilities. Programs that perform the same functions as the enrolled program but are installed on a non-AIX platform are not considered upgrades.
Note: Software preventative-maintenance releases x.x.1 to x.x.2 (modification level changes, updates, or refreshes) are released under the one-year or three-year maintenance program numbers but only when a supply feature has been announced. Supply features are only announced under the one-year and three-year options when there is an announced version/release change against the original program product. Service fixes (no-charge preventative maintenance) should be obtained by Software Maintenance customers in the same manner as non-Software Maintenance customers.
Example: Product A is offered under IBM Software Maintenance and three months later program fixes are incorporated into the program package. This is considered an update that would not be obtained under the one-year or three-year maintenance program numbers under the IBM Software Maintenance offering. Using the same example above, three months after the program fixes were incorporated into the program package, IBM announces a new version of product A. At that time, a supply feature is announced for product A under the one-year and three-year maintenance program numbers. This allows customers who are entitled by purchase or when the first year of maintenance is included with the license, of either the one-year or three-year maintenance offering for product A to order the upgrade under the one-year or three-year offering.
IBM may announce a product that can be substituted for an enrolled product. This product is neither a new version, a new release, nor a preventative maintenance release of that enrolled product. In most cases, this product has a different architecture, more function, and a higher license charge than the enrolled product. IBM may provide those customers enrolled in the IBM Software Maintenance offering access to this product at a discounted rate. The terms of this transaction will be included in the new product announcement.
Note: IBM will not offer stand-alone upgrades as a standard product offering. Stand-alone upgrades to this product/release, and its future versions and releases, will be considered only on a special-request basis by IBM.
Contract duration: The IBM Software Maintenance contracts are on a product-by-product basis and are offered for one or three years. One year of Software Maintenance is included with the purchase of a new license for the product. The three-year prepay option covers two additional years of coverage since the first year is included in the product license. The three-year prepay option can be purchased at the same time a license for an eligible product is purchased. Refunds do not apply if cancellation occurs during the one or three year contract period. Customers are not required to renew under either the one-year or three-year offering when the contract expires but will need to use the Maintenance-after-license option should they let the contract expire and want to acquire a new version or release of an eligible product. If the one-year or three-year contracts are not renewed, the one or three year contracts will be removed from IBM administrative systems. Contract transfers within an enterprise are allowed.
Payment options: Customers enroll in the plan at a reduced "Initial" price at the same time a new license for an eligible program product is purchased. Customers can also enroll in the plan after purchase of a new license for an eligible program product but must purchase the "Maintenance-after-license" option.
Software Maintenance prices: The IBM Software Maintenance program prices are based on the published price of the software program at the time of the contract preparation.
Minimum contract value: None
Notification of upgrade availability and ordering: The Software Maintenance component of the Web server where customers may register for e-mail notifications when Software Maintenance products are upgraded can be found at:
IBM Operational Support Services Support Line: No
Other support: IBM pSeries Software Maintenance Agreement
AIX/UNIX upgrade protection applies: No
Entitled upgrade for current AIX/UNIX upgrade protection licensees: No
iSeries Software Subscription applies: No
Variable charges apply: No
Educational allowance available:
Yes, 15% education allowance applies to qualified education
Back to top
|IBM Electronic Services|
IBM has transformed its delivery of hardware and software support services to put you on the road to higher systems availability. Electronic Services is a Web-enabled solution that provides an exclusive, no-additional-charge enhancement to the service and support on the IBM eServer. You should benefit from greater system availability due to faster problem resolution and preemptive monitoring. Electronic Services comprises of two separate but complementary elements; Electronic Services news page and Electronic Service Agent.
The Electronic Services news page is a single Internet entry point that replaces the multiple entry points traditionally used to access IBM Internet services and support. The news page enables you to gain easier access to IBM resources for assistance in resolving technical problems.
The Electronic Service Agent is no-additional-charge software that resides on your IBM eServer system. It monitors events and transmits system inventory information to IBM on a periodic customer-defined timetable. The Electronic Service Agent tracks system inventory, hardware error logs, and performance information. If the server is under a current IBM maintenance service agreement or within the IBM warranty period, the Service Agent automatically reports hardware problems to IBM. Early knowledge about potential problems enables IBM to provide proactive service that maintains higher system availability and performance. In addition, information collected through the Service Agent is made available to IBM service support representatives when they are helping answer your questions or diagnosing problems.
To learn how Electronic Services can work for you, visit:
The prices provided in this announcement are suggested retail prices for the U.S. only and are provided for your information only. Dealer prices may vary, and prices may also vary by country. Prices are subject to change without notice. For additional information and current prices, contact your local IBM representative.
OTC Program feature Description number number OTC GPFS for AIX 5L, V2.2 Per active 5765-F64 0005 $ 857 processor Block of 250 5765-F64 0006 214,250 active processors
OTC one-year Software Maintenance (5771-GPF)
Maint. Registra- after- tion Renewal license N/C billing billing feature feature feature Description number number OTC number OTC Per active 0467 0469 $ 215 0471 $ 323 processor Block of 250 0468 0470 53,750 0472 80,750
OTC three-year Software Maintenance (5773-GPF)
Maint. after- Registra- Renewal license tion billing billing feature feature feature Description number OTC number OTC number OTC Per active 0419 $ 366 0421 $ 581 0423 $ 688 processor Block of 250 0420 91,500 0422 145,250 0424 172,000
IBM Global Financing: IBM Global Financing offers competitive financing to credit-qualified customers to assist them in acquiring IT solutions. Offerings include financing for IT acquisition, including hardware, software, and services, both from IBM and other manufacturers or vendors. Offerings (for all customer segments: small, medium, and large enterprise), rates, terms, and availability can vary by country. Contact your local IBM Global Financing organization or visit:
Back to top
To order, contact the Americas Call Centers, your local IBM representative, or your IBM Business Partner.
To identify your local IBM representative or IBM Business Partner, call 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968).
Phone: 800-IBM-CALL (426-2255) Fax: 800-2IBM-FAX (242-6329) Internet: firstname.lastname@example.org Mail: The Americas Call Centers Dept. RE001 P.O. Box 2690 Atlanta, GA 30301-2690 Reference: RE001
The Americas Call Centers, our national direct marketing organization, can add your name to the mailing list for catalogs of IBM products.
Note: Shipments will begin after the planned availability date.
Back to top