IBM enables the SAN04B-R and SAN18B-R routers with advanced features and extends z/OS systems supportIBM United States Hardware Announcement 108-774
October 14, 2008
|Table of contents||Document options|
|At a glance|
IBM® is expanding the mid-range and enterprise functions of the IBM System Storagetm SAN04B-R router with z/OS® systems support by adding the following optional features:
- High-Performance Extension Activation enables additional routing capabilities of the SAN04B-R
- IBM Fiber Connection (FICON®) Protocol with Control Unit Port (CUP) is designed to provide in-band management capability
- FICON Accelerator is designed to support secure data movement across enterprise data centers
For ordering, contact your IBM representative, an IBM Business Partner, or IBM Americas Call Centers at 800-IBM-CALL (Reference: YE001).
Back to top
The SAN04B-R router is equipped with 16 Fibre Channel and 2 ethernet ports. The base model provides 2 active Fibre Channel ports and 2 ethernet ports operating at 50 Mbps. The Fabric Operating System (FOS) determines the number of ports that are enabled and the speed at which they operate. An upgrade license is available for the SAN04B-R router that activates all 16 Fibre Channel ports, enables Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) speeds on the ethernet ports, and permits the full complement of features, including those available with the High-Performance Extension license. Application of the High-Performance Extension Activation (#7537) to the 2005-R04 base model will provide the same functionality as the 2005-R18 base model.
The IBM System Storage SAN04B-R router, which supports Fibre Channel connectivity for servers and storage, has added FICON CUP Activation that is designed to allow in-band management for OS/390® or z/OS from IBM System z10, z9tm EC, z9 BC, zSeries® 990, 900, 890, and 880 servers.
FICON Accelerator employs emulation techniques to reduce or eliminate performance degradation for certain defined applications. The main emulation techniques are IBM z/OS Global Mirror and tape pipelining.
The benefits of FICON Accelerator are:
- Improves FICON read and write performance over distance
- Enhances data protection while meeting recovery objectives
- Allows faster backup and disaster recovery operations
- Conserves WAN bandwidth and reduces costs
- Enables new solutions while protecting investments
- Provides flexibility to place FICON disk and tape where needed, regardless of location
Back to top
The System Storage SAN Switch family supports Fibre Channel connectivity for servers and storage.
The SAN04B-R requires FOS v6.1.1, or later.
For a list of supported servers and storage systems, refer to the Supported servers and storage systems section.
For specific support dates, configuration options, server models, operating systems levels, and attachment capabilities, visit
Back to top
|Planned availability date|
October 24, 2008
Back to top
High-Performance Extension Activation (#7537) -- High-performance Extension activates 14 additional Fibre Channel ports, increases the throughput of the two IP ports up to 1 Gbps, and enables the SAN04B-R with the following capabilities:
- Compression over IP adds hardware-based compression to increase bandwidth capability of IP link.
- Tape Write Pipelining over FCIP link feature pre-acknowledges portions of SCSI
- Tape Write commands to enhance performance for writing to tape storage over long IP links
- Fast Write over a Fibre Channel link feature pre-acknowledges SCSI Write commands. Typically used over extended Fibre Channel links and requires the Extended Fabric License also.
- Fibre Channel Routing between fabrics
- FCIP trunking provides exchange-based load balancing across all FCIP links
- Multi-tunnel supports up to 8 virtual tunnels per Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) port for a total of 16 per SAN04B-R
- Fast Write over FCIP link pre-acknowledges SCSI Write commands to enhance performance for writing to disk storage over long IP links
Application of the High-Performance Extension Activation (#7537) to the 2005-R04 base model will provide the same functionality as the 2005-R18 base model.
Minimum firmware version required is FOS v6.1.1.
FICON w/CUP Activation (#7530)
FICON with CUP Activation is designed to provide in-band management of the supported SAN b-type switch, router and director products by System Automation for z/OS from IBM System z10, z9 EC, z9 BC, zSeries 990, 900, 890, and 880 servers. To enable in-band management on multiple switches, routers and directors, each chassis must be configured with the appropriate FICON CUP feature. This support is designed to provide a single point of control for managing connectivity in active FICON I/O configurations. System Automation for OS/390 or z/OS can now concurrently manage IBM 9032 ESCON® Directors as well as supported SAN b-type switch and director products with FICON.
FICON Accelerator Activation (#7538)
The FICON Accelerator Activation is a licensed feature which supports FICON Emulation for IBM z/OS Global Mirror (formerly XRC) and FICON read and write tape pipelining over FCIP on the SAN04B-R and SAN18B-R routers, the SAN256B director with #3450 routing blade, and the SAN768B fabric backbone with #3850 routing blades.
Any supported FCIP tunnel configuration may enable the FICON Accelerator feature. The FICON Accelerator feature will be supported in Virtual E-port (VE) to VE tunnels only. Fibre Channel Routing (FCR) is not supported.
Support for multiple equal cost paths with the FICON Accelerator feature is limited to tunnels existing on the same GbE port. If the FICON Accelerator feature is enabled, the tunnels that comprise the set of multiple equal cost paths MUST originate from the same GbE port on the local switch, and terminate at the same GbE port on the remote switch. The FICON Accelerator feature must be enabled for every FCIP tunnel in the multiple equal cost path set. If the FICON Accelerator feature is not required, then the FICON Accelerator feature must be disabled for every FCIP tunnel in the multiple equal cost path set.
The FICON Accelerator feature must be disabled on any tunnel comprising a multiple equal cost path set, if those paths include tunnels that originate on different GbE ports on the local SAN and/or terminate on different GE ports on the remote SAN.
The configuration of the FICON Accelerator feature is accomplished via the existing "portcfg" command. It is subject to the same limitations and restrictions of any FCIP tunnel feature or configuration parameter with regards to tunnel disruption, port or switch disable/enable, or reboot requirements. :sp Minimum firmware version required is FOS v6.1.1
Accessibility by people with disabilities
A U.S. Section 508 Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) containing details on accessibility compliance can be requested at
For hardware offerings
The features support use by people with disabilities: Ports and connectors support connection of industry-standard devices.
Back to top
New features for: IBM System Storage SAN04B-R
Machine Feature Description type Model number FICON w/CUP Activation 2005 R04 7530 High-Performance Ext. Act. 2005 R04 7537 FICON Accelerator 2005 R04 7538 IBM System Storage SAN18B-R FICON Accelerator 2005 R18 7538
Back to top
The following publication is shipped with the product.
Additional copies of individual publications are available on the Internet at
Order Availability Title number date IBM System Storage SAN04B-R Installation, GA32-0583 10/24/08 Service, and User's Guide
Business Partner information
If you are a Direct Reseller - System Reseller acquiring products from IBM, you may link directly to Business Partner information for this announcement. A PartnerWorld ID and password are required (use IBM ID).
Back to top
Global Technology Services
IBM services include business consulting, outsourcing, hosting services, applications, and other technology management.
These services help you learn about, plan, install, manage, or optimize your IT infrastructure to be an On Demand Business. They can help you integrate your high-speed networks, storage systems, application servers, wireless protocols, and an array of platforms, middleware, and communications software for IBM and many non-IBM offerings. IBM is your one-stop shop for IT support needs.
For details on available services, contact your IBM representative or visit
For details on available IBM Business Continuity and Recovery Services, contact your IBM representative or visit
For details on education offerings related to specific products, visit
Select your country, and then select the product as the category.
Back to top
Specified operating environment
The SAN04B-R router (2005-R04) can be configured for either rack-mount or tabletop use. For tabletop use, you must order the required country-specific power cords.
Enclosure: 1 U , 19-in, EIA compliant, with non-port-to-port airflow.
2005-R04 (1 U) Height 42.44 cm (1.67 in) Depth 429 mm (25.0 in) Width 635 mm (16.89 in) System weight 12.43 kg (27.4 lb) without media
To support installability and serviceability in non-IBM industry-standard racks, review the installation planning information for any product-specific installation requirements.
- Operating: 0 to 40 degrees C (32 to 104 degrees F)
- Non-operating: -25 to 70 degrees C (-13 to 158 degrees F)
- Humidity operating: 20% to 85%, non-condensing at 40 C (104 F)
- Humidity non-operating: 10% to 85%, non-condensing at 70 C (158 F)
- Operating altitude: Up to 3,000 m (10,800 ft)
- Storage altitude: Up to 12 km (40,000 ft)
- Operating shock: 20 G, 6 ms half-sine
- Non-operating shock: 15 G, 12 to 18 ms trapezoid
- Vibration operating: 0.5 g sine, 5 to 500 Hz
- Non-operating vibration: 2.0 g sine, 5 to 500 Hz
- Airflow high-speed: 31 CFM
- Noise: 6.4 bels idle, 6.4 bels operating
- Input voltage: 85 to 264 V ac, universal
- Frequency: 47 to 63 Hz
- Power consumption: 240 W max, 215 W typical
- CFR 47 Subpart B of Part 15 of the FCC Rules, Class A level
- CISPR22 Class A
- EN55022 Class A
- VCCI Class A ITE
- AS/NZS 3548 Class A
- CNS 13438 Class A
- EMC Directive (89/336/EEC) for CE Marking in European Union
Product safety/Country testing/Certification
- Underwriters Laboratories, UL60950
- Canadian Standards Association, CSA60950
- TUV Rheinland of North America, EN60950
- Nemko, EN60950
- Low Voltage Directive (73/23/EEC) for CE Marking in European Union
Supported servers and storage systems
The IBM System Storage SAN04B-R router is designed to support Fibre Channel connectivity for the following:
- IBM System z10, z9 EC, z9 BC, zSeries 990, 900, 890, and 880
- IBM Power Systems
- IBM System p® and selected RS/6000® servers
- IBM System i® and selected AS/400® servers
- IBM System xtm and selected Netfinity® servers
- Other Intel-based servers with Linux®, Microsoft® Windows® 2000, and Windows 2003
- Selected Sun and HP servers
IBM TotalStorage® SAN Volume Controller (SVC)
- IBM System Storage DS8000tm
- IBM System Storage DS6000tm
- IBM System Storage DS4000tm
- IBM TotalStorage Enterprise Storage Server®
- IBM TotalStorage FAStT Family of Storage Servers
- IBM TotalStorage Enterprise NAS Gateway 500
- IBM System Storage n Series NAS Filers and Gateways
- IBM TotalStorage 3580, 3588, 3590, and 3592 Tape Drives
- IBM TotalStorage 3494, 3582, 3583, and 3584 Tape Libraries
- IBM TotalStorage 3581 Tape Autoloader
- IBM TotalStorage 3584 High Availability Frame Model HA1
- Other selected storage systems
For specific support dates, configuration options, server models, operating systems levels, attachment capabilities, and throughput connectivity speeds, visit
Specific details on supported operating system releases are available at
Due to the acoustic noise levels of the IBM System Storage SAN04B-R router (2005-R04), this product, when combined with similar equipment in a data processing environment, should not be installed in rooms that are usually inhabited.
Planning information, including customer responsibilities, physical planning, and installability is available in the specific product planning manuals on the following Web site
You are responsible for downloading or obtaining from IBM, and installing designated Machine Code (microcode, basic input/output system code (called "BIOS"), utility programs, device drivers, and diagnostics delivered with an IBM machine) and other software updates in a timely manner from an IBM Internet Web site or from other electronic media, and following the instructions that IBM provides. You may request IBM to install Machine Code changes; however, you may be charged for that service.
Fiber optic cable: A fiber optic cable is required for attaching the SAN04B-R router to the host system adapters, or other storage area FC components. The cable can be customer supplied or ordered with the router in the lengths available. The attaching fiber cable must be 50.0/125 micrometers for distances up to 300 meters at 2 Gbps speed or 150 meters at 4 Gbps. The attaching fiber cable must be 62.5/125 micrometers for distances up to 175 meters at 2 Gbps speed or 70 meters at 4 Gbps. The connection is an LC connector type. Longwave SFPs require 9 Micron singlemode fiber optic cables.
Ethernet Connections: Either optical or copper cables can be used, depending on the choice of transceivers used in the Ethernet ports. If copper Ethernet cables are used, customers are responsible to obtain them.
In many situations, the required lengths and installation of fiber optic cables will be unique to each customer's configuration and facility specifications. IBM Network Integration and Deployment Services, offered by IBM Global Services, can provide assistance for these unique cabling and installation requirements.
Hardware installation time for the SAN04B-R router is estimated at less than one hour.
Security, auditability, and control
The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security features, administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and communications facilities.
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
MES discount applicable
Equal to the volume commitment discount
Field installable feature
One year. This feature or features assume the same warranty or maintenance terms as the machine in which it is installed for the full warranty or maintenance period announced for such machine.
No license terms apply
Back to top
New features for IBM System Storage SAN04B-R
|Description||Machine type||Model||Feature code||List Price|
|FICON with CUP Activation||2005||R04||7530||$ 2,710|
|High-Performance Ext Act||2005||R04||7537||37,660|
Field Plant Feature install install MES Cables number only only removal required 7530 N N N N 7537 N N N N 7538 N N N N ** If field installed on a purchased machine, parts removed or replaced become the property of IBM and must be returned. Minimum monthly maintenance charge N/C
For additional information on maintenance and pricing, contact your IBM representative or your IBM Business Partner, or call 1-800-IBM-CALL (1-800-426-2255).
System Storage, z9, System x, DS8000, DS6000 and DS4000 are trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
IBM, z/OS, FICON, OS/390, zSeries, ESCON, System p, RS/6000, System i, AS/400, Netfinity, TotalStorage and Enterprise Storage Server are registered trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the United States, other countries, or both.
Microsoft and Windows are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Other company, product, and service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.
For the most current information regarding IBM products, consult your IBM representative or reseller, or visit the IBM worldwide contacts page
Back to top