Enhancements for McDATA Intrepid 6140 Director resold by IBMIBM United States Hardware Announcement 106-295
April 27, 2006
|Table of contents||Document options|
(Corrected on May 8, 2006)
|At a glance|
Protect your investments with these enhancements to McDATA Intrepid 6140 Director, resold by IBM:
- 4 Gbps QPM Port Modules is a cost-effective bandwidth per port solution that can be used between McDATA Intrepid 6140 Directors, IBM TotalStorage® SAN140M Directors, IBM TotalStorage SAN32M-2 and SAN16M-2 switches, or any other supported 4 Gbps standards-compliant device.
- Storage Network Services (SNS) firmware packages that are value-based bundles for simple ordering and implementation of McDATA's advanced firmware functions.
For ordering, contact:
Your IBM representative, an IBM Business Partner, or IBM Americas Call Centers at
Back to top
A variety of feature enhancements for the McDATA Intrepid 6140 Director, resold by IBM, helps further protect your investment and provide greater flexibility in designing and upgrading your SAN environments from the core to the tier of your Global Enterprise Data Infrastructure.
These enhancements include:
- 4 Gbps QPM Port Module feature that adds shortwave and longwave connectivity. You can now use the McDATA Intrepid 6140 Director with supported 4 Gbps capable SAN switches, devices, and hosts.
- Storage Network Services (SNS) firmware packages (SNS Open Systems Package, SNS Mainframe Cascading Package, SNS Mainframe Package) provide consolidated, value-based bundles for more simple ordering and implementation of McDATA advanced firmware functions.
With today's announcement, the McDATA Intrepid 6140 Director is now interoperable and supported with
the newly announced FICON Express4 features of the IBM System z9 Enterprise Class (z9 EC) and System
z9 Business Class (z9 BC) servers. The FICON Express4 features are designed to deliver an
auto-negotiated link data rate of 1, 2, or 4 Gbps. For more information, refer to Hardware
, and Hardware Announcement
, dated April 27, 2006.
Back to top
- E/OS V9.0, or later, running on the McDATA hardware.
- Enterprise Fabric Connectivity Manager (EFCM) V8.9, or later, running on the management server.
|Planned availability date|
June 2, 2006
Back to top
QPM Port Modules
Helping to further protect investment and increase functionality, IBM offers 4 Gbps Fibre Channel and FICON connectivity for the McDATA Intrepid 6140 Director. With the nondisruptive ability to upgrade to 4 Gbps connectivity with the QPM Port Module, it is one of the most cost-effective bandwidth per port solution available to existing McDATA Intrepid 6140 Directors. You can use QPM connections between McDATA Intrepid 6140 Directors, IBM TotalStorage SAN140M Directors, IBM TotalStorage SAN32M-2 and SAN16M-2 switches, or any other supported 4 Gbps standards compliant device.
The QPM port module is designed to offer the following benefits:
Standards compliance and configuration flexibility:
The QPM port module is fully compliant with the INCITS standard for 4 Gbps, 2 Gbps, and 1 Gbps
Fibre Channel operation. The QPM port module is offered with four shortwave transceivers (#6236),
four longwave 4 km transceivers (#6237), or four longwave 10 km transceivers (#6238). All four
ports are designed to auto-negotiate at 4 Gbps, however, the maximum total sustained throughput of
the QPM port module is up to 8.5 Gbps. QPM ports configured for devices can operate in burst mode,
where the total QPM bandwidth is dynamically allocated across all four ports. QPM ports configured
as Inter-Switch Links (ISLs) must be configured in sustained mode, which requires the neighboring
port to be inactive, allowing full bandwidth for the ISL connection. Each port is configured with
an industry-standard hot pluggable SFP fiber optics transceiver fully compatible with installed 50
micron or 9 micron fiber optics cable infrastructure using LC connectors.
The ANSI Fibre Channel Physical Interface (FC-PI-2) standard defines 10 kilometer (km) transceivers and 4 km transceivers when using 9 micron single mode fiber optic cabling. IBM supports these FC-PI-2 variants. IBM supports interoperability of 10 km transceivers with 4 km transceivers provided the unrepeated distance between a 10 km transceiver and a 4 km transceiver does not exceed 4 km (2.5 miles).
- Existing Intrepid 6140 Director upgrades: QPM can be installed in any McDATA Intrepid 6140 Director. QPM is hot-pluggable, automatically recognized by the system as a 4 Gbps capable device upon insertion, and is designed to avoid disruption to system I/O when installed. QPM can be installed in any (or all) available McDATA Intrepid 6140 Director slots.
- Cost-effective modularity: With 4-port modularity, it is affordable to buy what you need and avoid excess expenditures on unwanted ports. System expansion is similarly cost-efficient, with fewer ports acquired per module. Network design is enhanced as well since mission-critical ports can be spread easily among a greater number of port modules than available on other directors.
- Extended distance connectivity: For distance solutions, QPM can be configured for long link lengths over dark fiber or DWDM. QPM supports 125 buffer credits per port, allowing Fibre Channel and FICON paths up to 125 km at 2 Gbps and 60 km at 4 Gbps. QPM is designed to let you scale your networks and remote connectivity without scaling your infrastructure.
IBM E/OS features, resold by IBM, for the McDATA Intrepid 6140 Director have been consolidated into Storage Network Services (SNS) packages, providing value-based bundles for more simple ordering and implementation of McDATA's advanced firmware functions:
- The SNS Open Systems Package is designed to help you secure and optimize your storage networks. It can help you prevent unwanted accidental and intentional changes to your storage network configuration, as well as help stave off Worldwide Name spoofing and other threats to storage network security by authorizing and authenticating users, ports, devices, and fabrics. It can help you to optimize storage network performance with intelligent traffic routing and load-balancing capabilities across multiple inter-switch links. Features in this package include: SANtegrity Binding and SANtegrity Authentication for security, and Open Trunking for performance optimization.
- The SNS Mainframe Cascading Package allows mainframe customers to expand their Fibre Channel network beyond a single director or switch, helping provide the flexibility and scalability that is often required in today's enterprise-class data center. No cascaded environment should be without this valuable set of capabilities, which include the ability to manage FICON switching equipment from System z hosts, as well as segregate and isolate those control hosts. It can help you maximize your hardware investment while still partitioning control of devices to those hosts that require it. You can also leverage your mainframe investment through logical partitions on the host, while still providing a separate and unique identity to those host partitions within the Fibre Channel network. Cascaded environments also require security for System z multi-switch configurations. Features in this package include FICON Management Server, FICON CUP Zoning, N_Port ID Virtualization (NPIV), SANtegrity Binding, SANtegrity Authentication and Open Trunking.
- The SNS Mainframe Package is designed to let you manage your FICON switching equipment from System z hosts. Management, combined with the capability to segregate and isolate control hosts, helps you maximize your hardware investment while still partitioning control of devices to those hosts that require it. You can also leverage your mainframe investment through logical partitions on the host, while still providing a separate and unique identity to those host partitions within the Fibre Channel network. Features in this package include FICON Management Server, FICON CUP Zoning, and N_Port ID Virtualization (NPIV).
McDATA Enterprise Fabric Connectivity Manager (EFCM) software (5697-J37) Performance and Event Management, and Group Configuration Manager features should be ordered with these packages for maximum customer value in optimizing their SAN.
McDATA Enterprise Fabric Connectivity Manager (EFCM) software (5697-J37) Security Center, and Group Configuration Manager features should be ordered with these packages for maximum customer value helping secure their SAN.
McDATA Enterprise Fabric Connectivity Manager (EFCM) software (5697-J37) Performance and Event Management, Security Center, and Group Configuration Manager features should be ordered with this package for maximum customer value in helping optimize and secure their enterprise SAN.
Section 508 of the U.S. Rehabilitation Act
IBM makes no representation about the Section 508 status of the third party electronic and information technology product in this offering. Contact the vendor for specific, current information on the Section 508 status of this product.
Business Partner information
If you are a Direct Reseller - System Reseller acquiring products from IBM, you may link directly to Business Partner information for this announcement. A PartnerWorld ID and password are required (use IBM ID).
Back to top
Technical documentation for McDATA products is provided by McDATA Corporation.
A list of available documentation and instructions for ordering a set of manuals on CD-ROM can be found on the following Web sites
Back to top
IBM Integrated Technology Services
IBM services include business consulting, outsourcing, hosting services, applications, and other technology management.
These services help you learn about, plan, install, manage, or optimize your IT infrastructure to be an On Demand Business. They can help you integrate your high-speed networks, storage systems, application servers, wireless protocols, and an array of platforms, middleware, and communications software for IBM and many non-IBM offerings. IBM is your one-stop shop for IT support needs.
For details on available services, contact your IBM representative or visit
For details on available IBM Business Continuity and Recovery Services, contact your IBM representative or visit
For details on education offerings related to specific products, visit
Select your country, and then select the product as the category.
Back to top
Specified operating environment
For information on technical specifications of McDATA products, including operating environment and physical specifications, refer to the following Web site
For a complete list of hardware requirements, cross-product requirements, prerequisites, and product dependencies, refer to the following Web sites
For a complete list of software requirements, cross-product requirements, prerequisites, and product dependencies, refer to the following Web sites
For a list of currently supported devices, refer to the following Web sites
Planning information, including customer responsibilities, physical planning, and installability, is available in the specific product planning manuals on the following Web site
Cable orders: No cables required.
Security, auditability, and control
The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security features,
administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and communications
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
MES discount applicable: Equal to the Volume Commitment Discount
Field installable feature: Yes
Warranty period: All warranties for this product are provided by McDATA Corporation.
The current warranty for McDATA products, purchased through IBM or IBM Authorized Business Partners for machine types 2031 and 2032, is 24-hours-per-day, 7-days-per-week, same-day service support for 13 months from the date of shipment from McDATA.
For more information and options, refer to the following Web site
Customer setup: Yes for all features in this announcement, except the QPM port modules (#6236, #6237, and #6238).
Licensed Internal Code:
Back to top
The prices provided in this announcement are suggested retail prices for the U.S. only and are provided for your information only. Dealer prices may vary, and prices may also vary by country. Prices are subject to change without notice. For additional information and current prices, contact your local IBM representative.
Feature Purchase Plant/ Description number price field 2031-232 McDATA ES-3232 Fabric Switch - FICON(TM) CUP Zoning 3023 $ 0 Field 2032-064 McDATA Intrepid 6064 Director - FICON CUP Zoning 6023 0 Field 2032-140 McDATA Intrepid 6140 Director - SNS Open Systems Package 1106 67,080 Field - SNS Mainframe Cascading 1126 87,350 Field Package - SNS Mainframe Package 1130 20,270 Field - LW 4 Gbps 4 km SFP 3421 1,960 Field Transceiver - LW 4 Gbps 10 km SFP 3422 3,230 Field Transceiver - FICON CUP Zoning 6123 0 Field - QPM -- 4 Gb SW Port 6236 7,000 Field Module (includes 4 optics) - QPM -- 4 Gb LW 4 km 6237 9,120 Field Port Module (includes 4 optics) - QPM -- 4 Gb LW 10 km 6238 12,690 Field Port Module (includes 4 optics)
Back to top
To order, contact the Americas Call Centers, your local IBM representative, or your IBM Business Partner.
To identify your local IBM representative or IBM Business Partner, call 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968).
Phone: 800-IBM-CALL (426-2255) Fax: 800-2IBM-FAX (242-6329) Internet: firstname.lastname@example.org Mail: IBM Americas Call Centers Dept. Teleweb Customer Support, 9th floor 105 Moatfield Drive North York, Ontario Canada M3B 3R1 Reference: YE001
The Americas Call Centers, our national direct marketing organization, can add your name to the mailing list for catalogs of IBM products.
Note: Shipments will begin after the planned availability date.
Back to top