IBM Lotus Connections delivers social software for businessesIBM United States Software Announcement 207-112
May 15, 2007
(Corrected on May 30, 2007)
|At a glance|
IBM Lotus Connections empowers users to share and refine innovative ideas and helps you execute tasks more quickly by using dynamic networks of coworkers, partners, and customers. Lotus Connections delivers the following essential components of social software that meet the security, scalability, and integration requirements of a growing business:
- Profiles enable you to quickly find the people you need by searching across your organization using keywords that help identify expertise or current projects.
- Communities allow you to create, find, join, and work with communities of people who share a common responsibility or area of expertise.
- Blogs help you to present your ideas and receive feedback while learning from the experience of others.
- Dogear allows you to save your bookmarks, either as private or shared, so you and others can quickly find information.
- Activities component empowers you to organize your work, plan next steps, and easily tap your expanding professional network to help execute your everyday deliverables faster.
For ordering, contact:
Your IBM representative, an IBM Business Partner, or IBM Americas Call Centers at
Back to top
IBM Lotus® Connections is social software designed specifically for the demanding requirements of business. It lets you utilize the collective knowledge of your organization, your partners, and your customers by dynamically building new connections between people, the information they know, and the tasks they are executing. Lotus Connections delivers this capability through the following five integrated components:
- Profiles is the directory and expertise location component that helps you find people across your organization so you can complete tasks faster.
- Communities allows people with common responsibilities or areas of expertise to collaborate by exchanging information.
- Blogs provide a way for subject matter experts to present their ideas, receive feedback, and learn from the experience of others.
- Dogear is the social bookmarking component that allows you to quickly find information that has been tagged and pre-qualified by people in your network.
- Activities delivers a single place to view, manage, and collaborate on all the information (for example, e-mail, instant messages, files) related to executing a specific task with your team.
Lotus Connections can be accessed through browser interfaces and runs on IBM WebSphere® Application Server, so it delivers the scalability and security you need for your business.
By empowering your people to easily connect to employees, partners, and customers, Lotus Connections helps you realize the following professional and business benefits:
- Tasks are executed faster because you have quick access to information from an expanded professional network.
- Decisions are made with confidence knowing they were vetted by experts across the organization and reflect past experience.
- Innovative products and services can be created from communities of employees, partners, and customers driving growth for your business.
Back to top
|Planned availability dates|
- June 29, 2007: Electronic software delivery, English only with national language versions to follow on August 30, 2007
- July 30, 2007: Media and documentation, English only with national language versions to follow
IBM Lotus Connections lets you utilize the collective knowledge of your organization by dynamically building new connections between people, the information they know, and the activities they are executing. IBM Lotus Connections includes five integrated components that can be used independently or used together to deliver more value.
- Search for people across your organization by name, phone number, location, and job title, and view business card information.
- Find people based on the expertise by searching keywords or information in their profiles that reflect their knowledge and responsibility.
- Identify the presence awareness of individuals and/or send an instant message by clicking on their contact information using separately purchased IBM Lotus Sametime®.
- From a person's profile, you can link to the bookmarks they have shared, the communities they have joined, and the blog postings they have made, the activities you have in common, and more.
- If used internally, you can view and navigate the reporting structure of your organization.
- Profile information can be populated from back-end systems using Tivoli® Directory Integrator.
- Create, find, and join communities of people who share a common responsibility or expertise.
- View community members and share relevant bookmarks with the community.
- Ability to utilize Feed Readers to be notified of new information within communities.
- Use tags to assign descriptive keywords to your community so it is easy to find.
- Support for the creation of both public and private communities.
- Browse for communities by categories such as Recent, Popular, and Alphabetical.
- Create a Web blog where you or a group can post information for other people to read.
- Themes provide the ability to easily change the look and feel of the blog.
- Allow moderated or open comments on your blog entries.
- Provides a centralized model that integrates bookmarks from other tools into a single location for better organization and maintainability.
- Save a bookmark, either as a private or shared, from your browser to a server so it can be later accessed by you or others.
- Filter and view your list of bookmarks by tags and keywords so you can find them faster and easier.
- View all bookmarks that have been shared by others and filter them by tags, most recent, and popularity.
- Subscribe to an expert's bookmarks so you can learn from them or subscribe to a tag so you can keep up to date on a topic and expand the network of people to include in your daily work.
- View and prioritize all your individual and team activities.
- Filter your activities by keyword, priority, status, and tags.
- Start a new activity and set goals, due date, members, tags, and more.
- Add relevant activity entries, including messages, e-mails, tasks, files, instant messages, Web links, to name a few.
- Organize activities according to how you work, adding activity entries as they happen, or providing comments to existing entries.
- Invite others to participate in an activity using various access options such as author, reader, or public access.
- Ability to notify members when an item has been added or modified within an activity.
- For repetitive tasks, templates can be created to help in maintaining the common structure and allowing users to focus on the task at hand and be more productive.
In addition to the five components above, Lotus Connections has the following features that makes it easy to use and increases the overall value:
- Users can tag information (for example, blog entries, profiles, communities, bookmarks). A tag is a word you choose to describe and categorize an item so it can be easily retrieved later.
- Tag clouds can be used to filter information shown on a Lotus Connections page so you can focus on your activity. Tag clouds are created and are unique as the more a tag is used the bigger the word appears. This enables a visual map of what is interesting to specific users and/or current hot topics.
- Updates to communities, activities, blogs, bookmarks, and profiles can be provided through Atom enabled Feed Readers so users can be notified of new information via their Feed Reader.
- Lotus Connections runs on WebSphere Application Server V6.1, which provides scalability and security needed to run critical business applications.
- Lotus Connections includes a restricted license of IBM Tivoli Directory Integrator, which can be used to populate users profile information using data from human resource or customer relationship management applications.
- The social software services, provided by Lotus Connections, are also available via Atom feeds so they can be accessed from other applications or mashups of applications.
IPLA and subscription and support considerations
IPLA licenses can be transferred from one machine to another within, but not limited to an enterprise. You may aggregate the capacity for all the processors the product is operated on to achieve a more economic price. This will result in a single Proof of Entitlement (PoE). It is your responsibility to manage the distribution of Value Units within the limits of the entitlement of the product license.
Subscription and Support must cover the same capacity as the product license entitlement.
Subscription and Support will be available in the country in which the agreement is made.
Back to top
IBM Lotus Connections, a social software offering, complements the other collaboration and composite
application offerings from IBM. For example, Lotus Quickr and Lotus Connections can be used
together to address a company's collaboration requirements that span from formal, role-based team
workspaces to informal community-driven social networks. The following shows Lotus Connections
relationship to other products in the Lotus portfolio.
Back to top
|Statement of direction|
It is the current intent of IBM to make IBM Lotus Connections capability available for the following operating systems by the end of 2007: AIX® and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server.
It is the current intent of IBM to make IBM Lotus Connections support the following LDAP services by the end of 2007: IBM Lotus Domino® 7.0 and Sun ONE Directory 5.
It is the current intent of IBM to provide integration with IBM Lotus Notes®, IBM Lotus Sametime, IBM WebSphere Portal, and Microsoft Office by the end of 2007.
It is the current intent of IBM to make IBM Lotus Connections capability available for IBM System i hardware by the end of 2007.
Availability of national languages
Product description Language GA date Lotus Multilingual (French, September 28, 2007 Connections Korean, Chinese -- V1.0.0 Simplified, Spanish, Portuguese-Brazilian, German, Japanese, Chinese -- Traditional, English, Italian) Lotus English July 30, 2007 Connections V1.0.0
Back to top
IBM training provides education to support many IBM offerings. Descriptions of courses for IT professionals and managers are on the IBM training Web site
Call IBM training at 800-IBM-TEACH (426-8322) for catalogs, schedules, and enrollments.
IBM Software Services for Lotus® Education provides education to support many Lotus offerings. For a complete list of offerings visit the Web site at
Back to top
Product information is available via the Offering Information Web site
Also, visit the Passport Advantage® Web site
Back to top
No publications are shipped with this product.
The IBM Publications Center
The Publications Center is a worldwide central repository for IBM product
publications and marketing material with a catalog of 70,000 items.
Extensive search facilities are provided. Payment options for orders are
via credit card (in the U.S.) or customer number for 20 countries. A
large number of publications are available online in various file
formats, and they can all be downloaded by all countries.
Back to top
Specified operating environment
IBM Lotus Connections requires the following minimum hardware
- IBM-compatible x86-32 processor
- 4 GB RAM
- 4 GB hard drive space
Server side operating system
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Enterprise Server (ES) V4.0 on x86-32 (Nahant Update 4)
- Microsoft Windows 2003 Server Standard
- Microsoft Windows 2003 Server Enterprise
Client side operating system
- Microsoft Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED) 10 XGL
Web browser support
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x, 7.x on Microsoft Windows XP Pro
- Mozilla Firefox 2.0 (Microsoft Windows and Linux)
- IBM WebSphere® Application Server V126.96.36.199*
- IBM HTTP Server from WebSphere Application Server V188.8.131.52* (IHS)
- IBM Tivoli® Directory Server (ITDS) V184.108.40.206
- Microsoft Active Directory 2003 Service Pack 2
- IBM DB2® V9.1 Fix Pack 2*
- Oracle 10g 10.2.0.3
- Must support Atom protocol
For profiles only
- IBM Tivoli Directory Integrator V6.1*
For activities only
- File system
- Lotus Domino® Server 7.0
- Denotes bundled with IBM Lotus Connections, with a restricted license for use with IBM Lotus Connections only.
Software Maintenance is included with licenses purchased through Passport Advantage and Passport Advantage Express. Installation and technical support is provided by the Software Maintenance offering of the IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement. This fee service enhances your productivity, with voice and electronic access into IBM support organizations.
Packaging: This product is available through IBM Passport Advantage in a Passport Advantage media pack or via electronic download. Publications are not shipped with the product.
Security, auditability, and control
The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security features,
administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and communication
Back to top
IBM Software Services has the breadth, depth, and reach to manage your services needs. You can leverage the deep technical skills of our lab-based, software services team and the business consulting, project management, and infrastructure expertise of our IBM Global Services team. Also, we extend our IBM Software Services reach through IBM Business Partners to provide an unmatched portfolio of capabilities. Together, we provide the global reach, intellectual capital, industry insight, and technology leadership to support any critical business need.
To learn more about IBM Software Services or to contact a Software Services sales specialist, visit
To locate an IBM Business Partner, visit
IBM has extensive experience in helping organizations derive quantifiable business value from their Lotus software investment. IBM can evaluate both your business and technical environments to provide recommendations that help speed deployment, mitigate risks, and accelerate returns by:
- Consulting on social software usage patterns
- Providing social software deployment guidance that increase the adoption by end-users/communities.
- Creating and customizing products based on specific customer needs.
- Integrating products into a customer's existing environment.
- Moving customers from tangible proof points to full-scale deployments.
For more information, visit the following IBM Services Web sites:
IBM Software Services for Lotus:
IBM Human Capital Management Services:
Back to top
This product is only available via Passport Advantage. It is not available as shrinkwrap.
Product Licensed function title Product group category IBM Lotus Connections IBM Lotus IBM Lotus Connections Connections IBM Lotus Connections IBM Lotus IBM Lotus activities Connections Connections IBM Lotus Connections IBM Lotus IBM Lotus profiles Connections Connections
PID Charge unit Program name number description IBM Lotus Connections 5724-S68 Value Unit IBM Lotus Connections 5724-S68 Authorized Users IBM Lotus Connections activities 5724-S68 Authorized Users IBM Lotus Connections profiles 5724-S68 Authorized Users
Charge metrics definitions
A Value Unit is a pricing charge metric for program license entitlements which is based upon the quantity of a specific designated measurement used for a given program. Each program has a designated measurement. The most commonly used designated measurement is a processor core. However, for select programs, there are other designated measurements such as users, client devices, and messages. The number of Value Unit entitlements required for a program depends on how the program is deployed in your environment and must be obtained from a Value Unit table. You must obtain a Proof of Entitlement (PoE) for the calculated number of Value Unit entitlements for your implementation. The Value Unit entitlements are specific to a program and may not be exchanged, interchanged, or aggregated with Value Unit entitlements of another program.
Processor (Value Unit)
A processor core is a functional unit within a computing device that interprets and executes instructions. A processor core consists of at least an instruction control unit and one or more arithmetic or logic unit. With multicore technology, each core is considered a processor. Not all processor cores require the same number of Value Unit entitlements. To calculate the number of Value Unit entitlements required, refer to the value unit table on the following Web site
With full capacity licensing, a PoE must be acquired for the appropriate number of value units based on all activated processor cores available for use on the server.
An authorized user is one and only one individual (named or unnamed) within or outside Your enterprise. A PoE must be obtained for each individual user accessing the program in any manner. A program licensed under an authorized user PoE may be installed on a single computer or server, and accessed by multiple users, provided that a PoE has been obtained for each individual user accessing the program either directly or indirectly (via a multiplexing program, device, or application server) through any means on behalf of the user.
Passport Advantage program licenses
IBM Lotus Connections
Part Part description number IBM Lotus Connections profiles Lotus Connections Authorized Users D6159LL License and SW Maintenance 12 Months Lotus Connections Authorized Users D615BLL License and SW Maintenance 12 Months Lotus Connections Authorized Users E03VFLL SW Maintenance Annual Renewal Lotus Connections Authorized Users SW D615ALL Maintenance Reinstatement 12 Months IBM Lotus Connections activities Lotus Connections activities Authorized D6155LL Users License and SW Maintenance 1 Lotus Connections activities Authorized D6157LL Users License and SW Maintenance 1 Lotus Connections activities Authorized E03VELL Users SW Maintenance Annual Rene Lotus Connections activities Authorized D6156LL IBM Lotus Connections Lotus Connections Authorized Users D6158LL License and SW Maintenance 12 Months Lotus Connections Authorized Users E03VJLL SW Maintenance Annual Renewal Lotus Connections Authorized Users SW D615ILL Maintenance Reinstatement 12 Months Lotus Connections Value Unit License D615JLL and SW Maintenance 12 Months Lotus Connections Value Unit SW E03VKLL Maintenance Annual Renewal Lotus Connections Value Unit SW D615KLL Maintenance Reinstatement 12 Months
Passport Advantage supply
Part Program name/description number Lotus Connections V1.0.0 Lotus Connections Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES, AY000EN Windows Server 2003 V1.0.0 N Lotus Connections Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES, AY001ML Windows Server 2003 V1.0.0 N
Passport Advantage customer: Media pack entitlement details
Customers with active maintenance or subscription for the products listed are entitled to receive the corresponding media pack.
Lotus Connections V1.0.0
Entitled maintenance Part offerings description Media packs description number IBM Lotus Connections Lotus Connections Red Hat AY001ML activities per Authorized Enterprise Linux User ES,Windows Server 2003 V1.0.0 N IBM Lotus Connections Lotus Connections Red Hat AY000EN activities per Authorized Enterprise Linux User ES,Windows Server 2003 V1.0.0 N IBM Lotus Connections per Lotus Connections Red Hat AY000EN Authorized User Enterprise Linux ES,Windows Server 2003 V1.0.0 N IBM Lotus Connections per Lotus Connections Red Hat AY001ML Authorized User Enterprise Linux ES,Windows Server 2003 V1.0.0 N IBM Lotus Connections per Lotus Connections Red Hat AY001ML Value Unit Enterprise Linux ES,Windows Server 2003 V1.0.0 N IBM Lotus Connections per Lotus Connections Red Hat AY000EN Value Unit Enterprise Linux ES,Windows Server 2003 V1.0.0 N IBM Lotus Connections Lotus Connections Red Hat AY000EN profiles per Authorized Enterprise Linux User ES,Windows Server 2003 V1.0.0 N IBM Lotus Connections Lotus Connections Red Hat AY001ML profiles per Authorized Enterprise Linux User ES,Windows Server 2003 V1.0.0 N
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
The information provided in this announcement letter is for reference and convenience purposes only. The terms and conditions that govern any transaction with IBM are contained in the applicable contract documents such as the IBM International Program License Agreement, IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement and the IBM Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance.
Licensing: IBM International Program License Agreement including the License Information document and PoE govern your use of the program. PoEs are required for all authorized use.
Part number products only, offered outside of Passport Advantage, where applicable, are license only and do not include Software Maintenance.
This software license includes Software Maintenance, previously referred to as Software Subscription and Technical Support.
License Information form number
Program Program name number Form number IBM Lotus Connections 5724-S68 L-DCOR-6ZUW48
The program's Licence Information will be available for review on the IBM Software License Agreement Web site
Limited warranty applies: Yes
Warranty: IBM warrants that when the program is used in the specified operating environment it will conform to its specifications. The warranty applies only to the unmodified portion of the program. IBM does not warrant uninterrupted or error-free operation of the program or that IBM will correct all program defects. You are responsible for the results obtained from the use of the program.
IBM provides you with access to IBM databases containing information on known program defects, defect corrections, restrictions, and bypasses at no additional charge. Consult the IBM Software Support Guide for further information at
IBM will maintain this information for at least one year after the original licensee acquires the program (warranty period).
Program technical support: Technical support of a program product will be available for a minimum of three years from the general availability date, as long as your Software Maintenance is in effect. This technical support allows you to obtain assistance (via telephone or electronic means) from IBM for product-specific, task-oriented questions regarding the installation and operation of the program product. Software Maintenance also provides you with access to updates, releases, and versions of the program. You will be notified, via announcement letter, of discontinuance of support with 12 months' notice. If you require additional technical support from IBM, including an extension of support beyond the discontinuance date, contact your IBM representative or IBM Business Partner. This extension may be available for a fee.
Money-back guarantee: If for any reason you are dissatisfied with the program and you are the original licensee, return it within 30 days from the invoice date, to the party (either IBM or its reseller) from whom you acquired it, for a refund.
- For programs acquired under the IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement, this term applies only to your first acquisition of the program.
Copy and use on home/portable computer: No
International Passport Agreement
Passport Advantage applies: Yes, and through the Passport Advantage Web site at
This product is only available via Passport Advantage. It is not available as shrinkwrap.
Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance
The following agreement applies for maintenance and does not require customer signatures:
- IBM Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance (Z125-6011)
Software Maintenance applies: Yes. Software Maintenance is included with licenses purchased through Passport Advantage and Passport Advantage Express. Product upgrades and Technical Support are provided by the Software Maintenance offering as described in the Agreements. Product upgrades provide the latest versions and releases to entitled software and Technical Support provides voice and electronic access to IBM support organizations, worldwide.
IBM includes one year of Software Maintenance with each program license acquired. The initial period of Software Maintenance can be extended by the purchase of a renewal option, if available.
While your Software Maintenance is in effect, IBM provides you assistance for your routine, short duration installation and usage (how-to) questions, and code-related questions. IBM provides assistance via telephone and, if available, electronic access, to your information systems (IS) technical support personnel during the normal business hours (published prime shift hours) of your IBM support center. (This assistance is not available to your end users.) IBM provides Severity 1 assistance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. For additional details, consult your IBM Software Support Guide at
Software Maintenance does not include assistance for the design and development of applications, your use of programs in other than their specified operating environment, or failures caused by products for which IBM is not responsible under the applicable agreements.
For additional information about the International Passport Advantage Agreement and the IBM International Passport Advantage Express Agreement, visit the Passport Advantage Web site at
Volume orders (IVO): No
iSeries Software Maintenance applies: No
Educational allowance available:
Back to top
|IBM Electronic Services|
IBM Global Services has transformed its delivery of hardware and software support services to put you on the road to higher systems availability. IBM Electronic Services is a Web-enabled solution that provides you with an exclusive, no-additional-charge enhancement to the service and support available on the IBM eServer® platform. These services provide the opportunity for greater system availability due to faster problem resolution and preemptive monitoring. IBM Electronic Services is comprised of two separate but complementary elements: IBM Electronic Services news page and IBM Electronic Service Agent.
IBM Electronic Services news page provides you with a single Internet entry point that replaces the multiple entry points traditionally used by customers to access IBM Internet services and support. The news page enables you to gain easier access to IBM resources for assistance in resolving technical problems.
The IBM Electronic Service Agent is no-additional-charge software that resides on your IBM eServer system. It is designed to proactively monitor events and transmit system inventory information to IBM on a periodic, customer-defined timetable. The IBM Electronic Service Agent tracks system inventory, hardware error logs, and performance information. If the server is under a current IBM maintenance service agreement or within the IBM warranty period, the Service Agent automatically reports hardware problems to IBM. Early knowledge about potential problems enables IBM to provide proactive service that may result in higher system availability and performance. In addition, information collected through the Service Agent will be made available to IBM service support representatives when they are helping answer your questions or diagnosing problems.
To learn how IBM Electronic Services can work for you, visit
Back to top
For Passport Advantage information and charges, contact your IBM representative or authorized IBM Business Partner. Additional information is also available at
Business Partner information
If you are an IBM Business Partner Distributor for Workstation Software acquiring products from IBM, you may link to Passport Advantage Online for resellers where you can obtain Business Partner pricing information. An IBM ID and password are required.
IBM Global Financing
IBM Global Financing offers competitive financing to credit-qualified customers to assist them in acquiring IT solutions. Offerings include financing for IT acquisition, including hardware, software, and services, both from IBM and other manufacturers or vendors. Offerings (for all customer segments: small, medium, and large enterprise), rates, terms, and availability can vary by country. Contact your local IBM Global Financing organization or visit
IBM Global Financing offerings are provided through IBM Credit LLC in the
United States, and other IBM subsidiaries and divisions worldwide to
qualified commercial and government customers. Rates are based on a
customer's credit rating, financing terms, offering type, equipment type,
and options, and may vary by country. Other restrictions may apply.
Rates and offerings are subject to change, extension, or withdrawal
Back to top
To order, contact the Americas Call Centers, your local IBM representative, or your IBM Business Partner.
To identify your local IBM representative or IBM Business Partner, call 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968).
Phone: 800-IBM-CALL (426-2255) Fax: 800-2IBM-FAX (242-6329) Internet: email@example.com Mail: IBM Americas Call Centers Dept. Teleweb Customer Support, 9th floor 105 Moatfield Drive North York, Ontario Canada M3B 3R1 Reference: YE001
The Americas Call Centers, our national direct marketing organization, can add your name to the mailing list for catalogs of IBM products.
Note: Shipments will begin after the planned availability date.
Back to top