IBM Parallel Environment for AIX 5L, V4.3 offers enhanced development execution environment for clustersIBM United States Software Announcement 206-250
October 10, 2006
|At a glance|
Parallel Environment can offer high performance and fast job turnaround time for numerically intensive and demanding scientific, technical, and strategic business applications. Parallel Environment for AIX 5L runs on IBM System p servers supported by the pSeries® High Performance Switch and can coexist in clusters managed by IBM Cluster Systems Management (CSM).
For ordering, contact:
Your IBM representative, an IBM Business Partner, or IBM Americas Call Centers at
Back to top
Parallel Environment for AIX 5L is a high-function development and execution environment for parallel applications running on one or more System p servers.
Parallel Environment for AIX 5L can offer High Performance Computing (HPC) customers whose parallel applications use the industry-standard Message Passing Interface (MPI) a tool for creating and using parallel applications with a familiar look and feel. IBM's MPI implementation exploits an enhanced low-level application programming interface (LAPI) designed to increase parallel application performance on clusters made up of IBM POWER servers running the AIX 5L operating system.
Parallel Environment for AIX 5L, V4.3 enhancements over Version 4.2 include:
- The performance of selected MPI collective communication subroutines has been improved.
- MPI one-sided communication performance has been substantially improved.
- Parallel Environment benchmarker support is added for IBM System p5 575.
- A new command verifies that memory affinity assignments have been performed.
- A new environment variable is available to control unintended running of parallel applications compiled for small pages on systems configured for large pages.
- The Parallel Operating Environment will copy user hard limit and soft limit values for non-LoadLeveler interactive jobs.
Back to top
- System p servers
- AIX 5L for POWER V5.3
Back to top
|Planned availability date|
October 27, 2006
Back to top
Parallel Environment for AIX 5L contains functional enhancements for HPC customers whose parallel applications use the industry-standard MPI. MPI is a message-passing library specification that was developed by a group of industry, academic, and government experts. It serves as a common standard for developing parallel message-passing applications that run a variety of computer systems.
Parallel Environment V4.3 provides:
- Support for up to 8,192 tasks with improved memory utilization for large jobs.
- Simultaneous multithreading (SMT). SMT mode is supported on the AIX 5L V5.3 operating system. Performance of SMT depends on the characteristics of the user application.
IBM pSeries High Performance Switch (HPS):
- Parallel Environment operates with the HPS using LAPI to enhance MPI performance over the switch in user space.
- HPS provides support for RDMA for bulk data copy/transfer of large contiguous messages on the HPS only.
- HPS supports striping of messages over multiple adapters attached to the HPS. This support is enabled by run-time environment variables and is transparent to the user application.
- A parallel job that uses both MPI and LAPI may specify shared access to the user space communication subsystem. This allows more efficient use of the processor and adapter resources on the HPS.
MPI and LAPI
- Support for up to 128 tasks per node using shared memory support for IBM Tivoli® Workload Scheduler LoadLeveler® job launch enhancements with increased flexibility and processing options
- Resource sharing, improved memory scalability for large parallel jobs, and access to improved performance support for the pSeries HPS
- Performance enhancements of selected collective communication operations when multiple tasks are running on the same SMP node
- AIX 5L V5.3 cross-memory attachment enhancements exploited by MPI shared memory collectives and MPI/LAPI point-to-point messages in shared memory
- The ability to compile and run applications using the LAPI communications library, now shipped with Parallel Environment for AIX 5L
- MPI/LAPI performance statistics
- Sophisticated user control of MPI early arrival buffer usage for jobs with very large task counts
Parallel Environment Benchmarker
- Performance analysis tools aid in application tuning for parallel or serial applications.
- Application instrumentation at the code block level is supported.
- The OpenMP tool allows you to collect information about the performance of OpenMP locking functions, OpenMP directives, and compiler-generated OpenMP functions.
- The communication profiling tool collects communication data byte counts for MPI and LAPI applications.
- The MPI trace and profiling tools have been enhanced for use with OpenMP applications.
Security and usability
- Statistics collection and printing enhancements
- Co-scheduler for parallel task scheduling
Parallel Environment for AIX 5L, V4.2.2 is available for AIX® 5L V5.2 operating system customers:
- Using Tivoli Workload Scheduler LoadLeveler, Parallel Environment supports scheduling affinity on the AIX 5L operating system, allowing jobs to utilize the memory affinity feature available in IBM servers with POWER4 or POWER5 CPU architecture.
- Parallel Environment supports RDMA remote context blocks (rCxt blocks) by managing rCxt blocks as an adapter resource. Support for rCxt blocks is an extension of the existing RDMA infrastructure that allows an application to explicitly manage bulk data transfer operations.
- MPI and LAPI have improved small message latency. MPI applications benefit transparently, while LAPI applications must be modified to benefit.
- Parallel Environment V4.2 operates with SP Switch2 on selected node types of the RS/6000® SP or Cluster 1600, with support provided by Parallel System Support Programs (PSSP). This support is not available with Parallel Environment V4.3 or AIX 5L V5.3.
Accessibility by people with disabilities
A U.S. Section 508 Voluntary Product Accessibility Template containing details on the products accessibility compliance can be requested at
Back to top
Parallel Environment can be beneficial for high-performance cluster customers who demand effective tools for developing, debugging, analyzing, tuning, and running parallel C/C++ and Fortran applications that use the industry-standard MPI. It is designed to ease application porting and development and to increase application performance on System p clusters.
Parallel Environment is IBM's strategic high-function development and execution environment for parallel applications. It is designed to exploit SMP nodes when available and to run single or multi-threaded applications and the MPI message-passing API.
Parallel Environment for AIX 5L can be beneficial for high-performance cluster users who:
- Require high performance and fast job turnaround time for numerically intensive and demanding scientific, technical, and strategic business applications running the AIX 5L operating system
- Want to exploit parallel computing as a means of obtaining greater performance in a production environment
- Seek ways to improve resource utilization and reduce the time to a solution or solve larger problems by exploiting parallel processing in a cluster environment
Back to top
- Software Announcement 206-247 , dated October 10, 2006
- Software Announcement 206-248 , dated October 10, 2006
Business Partner information
If you are a Direct Reseller - System Reseller acquiring products from IBM, you may link directly to Business Partner information for this announcement. A PartnerWorld ID and password are required (use IBM ID).
Back to top
Product information is available via the Offering Information Web site
Back to top
No publications are shipped with this program.
The following publications are available from the Web:
- IBM Parallel Environment for AIX 5L: Introduction (SA23-7947)
- IBM Parallel Environment for AIX 5L: Installation (GA22-7943)
- IBM Parallel Environment for AIX 5L: Operation and Use, Volume 1 (SA22-7948)
- IBM Parallel Environment for AIX 5L: Operation and Use, Volume 2 (SA22-7949)
- IBM Parallel Environment for AIX 5L: MPI Programming Guide (SA22-7945)
- IBM Parallel Environment for AIX 5L: MPI Subroutine Reference (SA22-7946)
- IBM Parallel Environment for AIX 5L: Messages (GA22-7944)
To access all Parallel Environment documentation in PDF and HTML formats, including the most recent, visit the IBM eServer® Cluster Information Center Web site
The IBM Publications Center
The Publications Center is a worldwide central repository for IBM product
publications and marketing material with a catalog of 70,000 items.
Extensive search facilities are provided. Payment options for orders are
via credit card (in the U.S.) or customer number for 50 countries. A
large number of publications are available online in various file
formats, and they can all be downloaded by all countries free of charge.
Back to top
Parallel Environment is supported on the following IBM systems:
- System p5 POWER5 and POWER5+ processors
- eServer pSeries® POWER4 processors
- BladeCenter® JS20 and JS21
- Cluster 1600 when consisting of the supported servers
Parallel Environment is supported in a clustered environment interconnected with the HPS. Parallel Environment in IP mode uses the standard UDP/IP protocol, which is available on many interconnects. Parallel Environment in IP mode is tested extensively on 1 Gb Ethernet.
Parallel Environment V4.3: IBM AIX 5L for POWER V5.3 (5765-G03) with Technology Level 5300-05
If batch or interactive user space jobs are to be submitted under Parallel Environment, then Tivoli® Workload Scheduler LoadLeveler® V3.4 (5765-E69) is required. Minimal support for a customer-supplied scheduler is provided via sample code.
If Fortran programs are to be developed, XL Fortran for AIX®, V9.1 or XL Fortran for AIX, V10.1 is required. To run Fortran programs, only the XL Fortran run-time libraries corresponding to these levels are required.
If C or C++ programs are to be developed, one of the following is required: IBM XL C/C++ Enterprise Edition V7.0 for AIX or IBM XL C/C++ Enterprise Edition V8.0 for AIX. These compilers support the latest POWER5 architecture.
For Parallel Environment Benchmarker V4.3:
- Java RunTime 1.4.1, or later
- DPCL 3.4.2, available at
Parallel Environment V4.2: AIX 5L V5.3 (5765-G03) or AIX 5L V5.2 (5765-E62)
If batch or interactive user space jobs are to be submitted under Parallel Environment, Tivoli Workload Scheduler LoadLeveler V3.3.2 (5765-E69) is required. Minimal support for a customer-supplied scheduler is provided via sample code.
When running on an SP system with AIX 5L V5.2, IBM PSSP V3.5 (5765-D51) is required.
If Fortran programs are to be developed, XL Fortran for AIX, V9.1 (5724-I08) is required. To run Fortran programs, only the XL Fortran run-time libraries corresponding to this level is required.
If C or C++ programs are to be developed, IBM XL C/C++ Enterprise Edition V7.0 for AIX (5724-I11), or later, is required. This supports the latest POWER5 architecture.
For Parallel Environment Benchmarker V4.2.1:
- Java RunTime 1.4.1, or later
- DPCL 3.4.1, or later, available at
Compatibility: IBM Parallel Environment for AIX 5L, V4.3 is a functional enhancement and complete replacement of IBM Parallel Environment for AIX 5L, V4.2. Version 4.2 remains available to order for customers continuing to run AIX 5L for POWER V5.2.
MPI programs compiled with prior versions of Parallel Environment using shared library support are compatible. That is, executables built using Parallel Environment V3.1, V3.2, V4.1, or V4.2 is designed to run with Parallel Environment V4.3.
IBM Parallel ESSL for AIX 5L, V3.3 (5765-F84) works with Parallel Environment for AIX 5L, V4.3.
Parallel Environment for AIX 5L runs on System p servers and the pSeries HPS and can coexist in clusters managed by CSM.
Limitations: Parallel Environment for AIX 5L, V4.3 is supported with AIX 5L for POWER V5.3 only. Version 4.3 does not support PSSP.
Performance considerations: Parallel Environment and the MPI library are intended for use in HPC applications that can exploit multiple processors to achieve parallelism, using message passing to pass data among the processors where necessary. In such environments, performance of the interconnecting network is important.
This version of Parallel Environment exploits the features of the pSeries HPS to achieve high-bandwidth and low-latency for messages between clustered System p servers. The basic technique employed, called user space reserves a portion of the HPS adapter for use by a user process, which can then read or write message data directly onto the interconnect without having to copy the data to or from the AIX kernel.
The user space support is provided by LAPI, which is enhanced for the features of the HPS and supports both packet mode and bulk transfer mode data transfers with reliable delivery. Improved bandwidth is achieved when the remote DMA mode is used in conjunction with large contiguous messages. The use of RDMA does not require changes to an MPI application.
For additional performance, shared memory is used by default for point-to-point passing of data among processors within an SMP without changes to the application. In 64-bit mode, there are shared memory-based enhancements to certain collective communication routines.
For convenience in developing applications or on systems without pSeries HPS, the user may select UDP/IP as the packet transport rather than user space. This is done via a run-time specification and is transparent to the application. Performance does not match user space, but the application under development ties up fewer dedicated resources.
Jobs with large task counts are often constrained by the amount of memory available to a process. This version of Parallel Environment uses less memory for jobs with larger task counts than prior versions and may improve performance by allowing a larger problem data space to be maintained in real memory.
- For all nodes within a parallel job, the same release level of Parallel Environment is required.
- For the pSeries HPS, you need to install and configure the switch, and ensure that it is accessible via IP from all nodes on which Parallel Environment is to be installed. If Tivoli Workload Scheduler LoadLeveler is being used, LoadLeveler must be configured with the appropriate network definitions, pools, and classes.
Packaging: This program is distributed as a single package available via CD-ROM media (LCD8-0564-00). A product README file and License Information file is shipped with the product.
The License Information file (L-RHAN-6RRR4W or LC23-4997-00) is available for review on the IBM Software License Agreement Web site
Starting with Version 4.3, the LAPI communications library is shipped with Parallel Environment for AIX 5L.
Security, auditability, and control
Parallel Environment for AIX 5L uses the security and auditability features of the AIX 5L operating system. The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security features, administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and communication facilities.
IBM Services has the breadth, depth, and reach to manage your services needs. You can leverage the deep technical skills of our lab-based, software services team and the business consulting, project management, and infrastructure expertise of our IBM Global Services team. Also, we extend our IBM Software Services reach through IBM Business Partners to provide an unmatched portfolio of capabilities. Together, we provide the global reach, intellectual capital, industry insight, and technology leadership to support any critical business need.
To learn more about IBM Software Services or to contact a software services sales specialist, visit
Back to top
Part number or Program name PID number Charge metric Parallel 5765-F83 Per subcapacity processor Environment for small, medium, or for AIX 5L large processors 1-year SWMA: 5660-PAE Per subcapacity processor Registration for small, medium, or and Renewal large servers 1-year SWMA: 5661-PAE Per subcapacity processor After-license for small, medium, or large servers 3-year SWMA: 5662-PAE Per subcapacity processor Registration for small, medium, or large servers 3-year SWMA: 5663-PAE Per subcapacity processor Renewal for small, medium, or large servers 3-year SWMA: 5664-PAE Per subcapacity processor After-license for small, medium, or large servers
A processor (commonly called a "CPU" or "core") is a functional unit within a computing device that interprets and executes instructions. A processor consists of at least an instruction control unit and one or more arithmetic or logic unit. With multicore technology, each core is considered a processor. For programs eligible for sub-capacity licensing, a proof of entitlement (POE) must be acquired for all activated processors available for use in each partition (utilizing eligible partitioning technologies) where the program runs. Refer to the program's License Information to determine applicable sub-capacity terms.
Note: Running in simultaneous multithreading mode versus single thread mode does not change the number of processors required.
A processor (commonly called a "CPU" or "core") is a functional unit within a computing device that interprets and executes instructions. A processor consists of at least an instruction control unit and one or more arithmetic and/or logic unit. With multi-core technology each core is considered a processor. With sub-capacity licensing, a POE must be acquired for all activated processors in partitions (utilizing eligible partitioning technologies) on the server available to the program or a component of the program.
System Program Order (SPO) (5692-A5L): A 5692-A5L SPO is mandatory for shipments of program distribution and publications. The individual licensed program orders (for example, 5765-F83) are for registration and billing purposes only. No shipment occurs under these orders.
Machine-readable materials are only available on CD-ROM. To receive shipment of machine-readable materials under SPO (5692-A5L), order the CD-ROM media.
Billing for the media is generated under the SPO. To prevent additional billing expenses, place only one SPO order per machine.
To receive shipment of machine-readable materials stacked on a CD-ROM, the order needs to include SPO 5692-A5L. The individual licensed program orders (for example, 5765-F83) must still be ordered but will be for registration and billing purposes only and will not result in shipment of materials.
Program Feature number Program/Function name number 5692-A5L Parallel Environment for AIX 5L, V4.2 0978 5692-A5L Parallel Environment for AIX 5L, V4.3 1418
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
Agreement: IBM International Program License Agreement and License Information document. POEs are required for all authorized use.
This software license includes Software Maintenance, previously referred to as Software Subscription and Technical Support.
The following agreement applies for maintenance and does not require customer signatures: IBM Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance (Z125-6011).
Limited warranty: Yes
Warranty: This program includes a warranty for one year from acquisition from IBM or an authorized IBM Business Partner. For one year from acquisition of the program, this warranty provides the customer with access to databases containing program information and FAQs, including any known fixes to defects, which the customer can download or otherwise obtain and install.
Program technical support: Technical support of a program product will be available for a minimum of three years from the general availability date, as long as your Software Maintenance is in effect. This technical support allows you to obtain assistance (via telephone or electronic means) from IBM for product-specific, task-oriented questions regarding the installation and operation of the program product. Software Maintenance also provides you with access to updates, releases, and versions of the program. Customers will be notified, via announcement letter, of discontinuance of support with 12 months' notice. If you require additional technical support from IBM, including an extension of support beyond the discontinuance date, contact your IBM representative or IBM Business Partner. This extension may be available for a fee.
Money-back guarantee: If for any reason you are dissatisfied with the program and you are the original licensee, return it within 30 days from the invoice date to the party (either IBM or its reseller) from whom you acquired it for a refund. For clarification, note that for programs acquired under any of IBM's On/Off Capacity on Demand (On/Off CoD) software offerings, this term does not apply since these offerings apply to programs already acquired and in use by the customer.
Copy and use on home/portable computer: No
Volume orders (IVO): Yes, contact your IBM representative.
Passport Advantage® applies: No
Software Maintenance applies: Yes
All distributed software licenses include Software Maintenance (Software Subscription and Technical Support) for a period of 12 months from the date of acquisition, providing a streamlined way to acquire IBM software and assure technical support coverage for all licenses. Extending coverage for a total of three years from date of acquisition may be elected.
While your Software Maintenance is in effect, IBM provides you assistance for your routine, short duration installation and usage (how-to) questions; and code-related questions. IBM provides assistance via telephone and, if available, electronic access, only to your information systems (IS) technical support personnel during the normal business hours (published prime shift hours) of your IBM support center. (This assistance is not available to your end users.) IBM provides Severity 1 assistance 24 hours a day, every day of the year. For additional details, consult your IBM Software Support Guide at
Software Maintenance does not include assistance for the design and development of applications, your use of programs in other than their specified operating environment, or failures caused by products for which IBM is not responsible under this agreement.
IBM Operational Support Services SoftwareXcel: No
Other support: System p SWMA
iSeries Software Maintenance applies: No
Variable charges apply: Yes
Educational allowance available
Yes, 15% education allowance applies to qualified education institution customers.
Sub-capacity pricing terms and conditions
To be eligible for sub-capacity pricing, the machine on which the eligible products are installed and running must be eligible for sub-capacity pricing terms and conditions. Software pricing at less than full machine capacity for eligible products apply when running
- AIX 5L V5.1, or later, on an IBM eServer pSeries 690 or equivalent partition capable operating system and machine
- OS/400® V5.1, or later, running on an IBM eServer iSeries server
- Linux running in an LPAR under AIX 5L V5.1, OS/400 V5.1, or in a partition on an equivalent partition capable operating system and server
Sub-capacity pricing for eligible products is based on the current program pricing methodology, but the number of processors will be determined based on the sum of processors for all partitions where the program is defined (used). To obtain pricing at less than full machine capacity for eligible products, you are required to:
- Install and use, when available, IBM's license use management program, which installs with eligible IBM programs.
- Install available updates to the operating system and eligible products such that license use can be accurately managed.
- If the use of Sub-Capacity Pricing terms results in a reduced requirement for entitlements, you can reallocate the entitlement difference by distributing entitlements across a larger or different set of systems, or reserve then for future growth. There will be no refunds for these "freed up" entitlements. Subscription, Software Maintenance and Support volumes and entitlements for existing contracts will continue at the same levels as the acquired licenses.
On/Off Capacity on Demand
To be eligible for On/Off Capacity on Demand pricing, customers must be enabled for temporary
capacity on the corresponding hardware, and the required contract Z125-6907, Amendment for
iSeries and pSeries Temporary Capacity On Demand Software must be signed prior to use.
Back to top
|IBM Electronic Services|
IBM Global Services has transformed its delivery of hardware and software support services to put you on the road to higher systems availability. IBM Electronic Services is a Web-enabled solution that provides you with an exclusive, no-additional-charge enhancement to the service and support available on the IBM eServer platform. These services provide the opportunity for greater system availability due to faster problem resolution and preemptive monitoring. IBM Electronic Services is comprised of two separate, but complementary, elements: IBM Electronic Services news page and IBM Electronic Service Agent.
IBM Electronic Services news page provides you with a single Internet entry point that replaces the multiple entry points traditionally used by customers to access IBM Internet services and support. The news page enables you to gain easier access to IBM resources for assistance in resolving technical problems.
The IBM Electronic Service Agent is no-additional-charge software that resides on your IBM eServer system. It is designed to proactively monitor events and transmit system inventory information to IBM on a periodic, customer-defined timetable. The IBM Electronic Service Agent tracks system inventory, hardware error logs, and performance information. If the server is under a current IBM maintenance service agreement or within the IBM warranty period, the Service Agent automatically reports hardware problems to IBM. Early knowledge about potential problems enables IBM to provide proactive service that may result in higher system availability and performance. In addition, information collected through the Service Agent will be made available to IBM service support representatives when they are helping answer your questions or diagnosing problems.
To learn how IBM Electronic Services can work for you, visit
Back to top
The prices provided in this announcement are suggested retail prices for the U.S. only and are provided for your information only. Dealer prices may vary, and prices may also vary by country. Prices are subject to change without notice. For additional information and current prices, contact your local IBM representative.
The applicable processor-based one-time charge will be based on the
group of the designated machine on which the program is licensed for use.
If the program is designated to a processor in a group for which no
charge is listed, the charge of the next higher group listed applies.
For movement to a machine in a higher group, an upgrade charge equal to
the difference in the then-current charges between the two groups will
apply. For movement to a machine in a lower group, there will be no
adjustment or refund of charges paid.
Back to top
To order, contact the Americas Call Centers, your local IBM representative, or your IBM Business Partner.
To identify your local IBM representative or IBM Business Partner, call 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968).
Phone: 800-IBM-CALL (426-2255) Fax: 800-2IBM-FAX (242-6329) Internet: email@example.com Mail: IBM Americas Call Centers Dept. Teleweb Customer Support, 9th floor 105 Moatfield Drive North York, Ontario Canada M3B 3R1 Reference: RE001
The Americas Call Centers, our national direct marketing organization, can add your name to the mailing list for catalogs of IBM products.
Note: Shipments will begin after the planned availability date.
Back to top