IBM Workplace Designer V2.6 delivers quick and easy development toolsIBM United States Software Announcement 206-008
January 17, 2006
|At a glance|
- Fast time to value helps lower development cost.
- Easy to use means less training for your developers.
- Forms-based development means you can automate existing business processes.
- One-click deployment allows ease-in-testing components.
- Presence awareness (chat, person menu) can be added with no programming.
- Integrated installation with the Workplace Managed Client means IT can centrally manage the deployment of Workplace Designer.
- Now comes with Workplace Services Express V2.5.1 for easier installation of the test environment.
Workplace Designer V2.6 provides an intuitive design paradigm, full programming support, powerful Script capabilities, and a visual tools palette.
For ordering, contact:
Your IBM representative or IBM Americas Call Centers at
Back to top
IBM Workplace Designer V2.6 is an intuitive, visual development tool that allows the rapid creation and deployment of components for IBM Workplace applications. It opens the innovative IBM Workplace applications to a new set of developers. Script developers, Lotus® Domino® application developers, and the world-wide software developer community can easily create and deploy components to fit specific industry and business needs within IBM Workplace applications.
Workplace Designer V2.6 a visual, script development environment builds application components for IBM Workplace Collaboration Services V2.6 and IBM Workplace Services Express V2.5.1. Supporting a service-oriented architecture (SOA), the composite applications that run within the Workplace environment can be easily enhanced by modular, reusable components created on and deployed from Workplace Designer V2.6.
The intuitive, visual user interface, powerful scripting capabilities, and simplified component deployment make Workplace Designer V2.6 the fastest and easiest way to create and deploy new components for Workplace applications.
Workplace Designer V2.6 features a visual design interface and scripting capabilities that are familiar to Lotus Domino application developers and are intuitive to Microsoft Visual Basic (VB) developers and other script developers. Developers who use Workplace Designer do not need Java development skills. Those who do have these skills can make use of Workplace APIs and other Java APIs exposed through Workplace Designer V2.6.
Workplace Designer V2.6
- Requires less training for your developers due to its easy-to-use, high-level, intuitive visual design environment.
- Allows you to automate existing business processes through forms-based development and supports importing existing Domino forms to start component creation.
- Readily supports the robust security and administration features of Workplace applications.
- Simplifies remote deployment and distribution of components to the Workplace platform.
- Allows addition of presence awareness (chat, person menu) with no programming for instant collaboration.
- Offers an integrated install with the Workplace Managed Client. That means IT can centrally manage the deployment of Workplace Designer.
Workplace Designer V2.6 is a standards-based development tool that runs on the workstation within
the IBM Workplace Managed Client framework on Microsoft Windows and Linux.
Back to top
|Planned availability dates|
- January 17, 2006, electronic software delivery
- February 14, 2006, media and documentation
Back to top
What's New in Workplace Designer V2.6
- Livenames support: Ability to add presence awareness to a person's name in a computed field or view column without programming. Integrates with the Workplace Collaboration Services and Workplace Services Express livenames support. Livenames streamlines productivity for users of the component.
- Redesigned deployment profile: Improved layout of the deployment profile dialog box by organizing sections into tabs. Added a "Test Profile" button to ensure that a connection to the database can be made. Catches errors before they occur.
Two new simple actions:
- Expands the "no programming" options for simple scripts. Request confirmation client script that displays a prompt and OK, Cancel button. Execute Script Enter a script that runs on the server.
- Allows you to combine a client-side script, requesting confirmation for an action, followed by a server script.
- New Sample component: A Call Center component sample is added, demonstrating the power and flexibility of the tool.
- Improved New Component dialog box. Makes it simple to start a new component based on an existing sample.
- Includes Workplace Services Express V2.5.1. For developers just getting started with the Workplace family of products, Workplace Designer includes a restricted license to Workplace Services Express for deploying and testing their components. Now get started even quicker than before.
- Provision Workplace Designer from a server: If you have already purchased Workplace Managed Client, you can use the same deployment mechanism in order to offer Workplace Designer to users. Administrative policies determine who can use Designer.
Workplace Designer V2.6 is a standards-based development tool that script developers, Domino application designers, VB developers, and others can use to easily create components for IBM Workplace applications. These components can then be quickly deployed from Workplace Designer V2.6.
Additional benefits include:
Delivers an easy-to-use, high-level, intuitive visual development environment that requires less
training for your developers.
Workplace Designer V2.6 offers a user interface that is familiar to Domino application designers but
is also intuitive to VB developers and other script developers. The interface allows developers to
quickly build document-oriented components that contain forms, views, controls, schemas, and
Workplace Designer V2.6 lets a form editor build forms with controls for user input and informational display. Schemas are separated from the presentation layer and are available in the schema editor. Schemas can be built as the developer creates the form, or created first then used to build the presentation layer of the component. The script editor can be used to associate script with events for each control, form, or the entire component.
- Automate existing business processes through forms-based development. Workplace applications facilitate security-rich, role-based, document-oriented, business process applications. Workplace Designer V2.6 makes it possible to quickly create and roll out components to build applications automating typical enterprise processes, such as expense reports, change requests, or project management.
Supports the robust security and administration features of Workplace applications to allow
role-based access to components.
Every Workplace application makes use of roles to manage component access and permissions, allowing
system administrators control over the functions available to end users. Every component created in
Workplace Designer supplies default roles.
After the component has been deployed to Workplace applications, these individual component roles can be mapped to the specific application runtime roles where the component has been added. This allows the same component to be used in multiple Workplace applications with unique component role mapping.
- Simplifies deployment and distribution of components to the IBM Workplace platform. Typical deployment of a component to a J2EE application server is a complex, multiple-step process. Workplace Designer V2.6 simplifies this process for the developer. Profiles in Workplace Designer enable the developer to specify deployment options, allowing the same component to be deployed quickly to different servers. Workplace Designer V2.6 also ships with a copy of Workplace Services Express V2.5.1 for testing and previewing of components. Components, WAR, and DDL files may also be exported from Workplace Designer for distribution to a production server.
- Supports importing of existing Domino forms to create components. Workplace Designer supports the import of Domino forms from existing applications. This gives Domino developers a starting point to develop applications for Workplace applications.
Workplace Designer includes the following features:
- Intuitive design paradigm: A form designer to create the presentation layer of the component. Forms allow entry, display, and processing of information through fields, views, buttons, and other user interface controls.
- Full programming support: Events to support programming capabilities. Events include button onClick, field onChange, form onSubmit, and other events to support the event-driven programming model.
- Productivity enhancers: Pre-built actions that can be added to a form for performing specific commands.
- Visual tools palette: Widget palette that allows the developer to drag and drop controls onto the form.
- Part of the IBM Software Development Platform: A complete solution for developing software and software-based systems. From requirements to design to test, use Workplace Designer with the entire Software Development Platform.
- Quick to get up and running: Easy deployment options for component testing and production scenarios.
Workplace Designer delivers the fastest mechanism to create and deploy components to the Workplace platform. Workplace Designer does not require J2EE development skills and can be readily used by script developers and line-of-business users.
Accessibility by people with disabilities
IBM is committed to providing accessible Workplace Designer software products for use by people with disabilities.
For more information on accessibility visit
Back to top
Refer to Software Announcement 205-194 , dated August 23, 2005.
Back to top
Product information is available via the Offering Information Web site
Also, visit the Passport Advantage® Web site
Back to top
The IBM Publications Center
The Publications Center is a worldwide central repository for IBM product publications and marketing material with a catalog of 70,000 items. Extensive search facilities are provided. Payment options for orders are via credit card (in the U.S.) or customer number for 20 countries. A large number of publications are available online in various file formats, and they can all be downloaded by all countries free of charge.
News of many publications may be subscribed to via Mysupport.
Back to top
This information may be updated periodically on the Web. For the latest information about Workplace Collaboration Services, refer to this product information center:
For the latest information on Workplace Services Express, visit
Server hardware requirements
Workplace Designer V2.6 provides IBM Workplace Services Express V2.5.1 for test purposes only . Alternatively, you can purchase a license for and install IBM Workplace Collaboration Services V2.6. A full license for IBM Workplace Collaboration Services and WebSphere® Portal, or for Workplace Services Express is required for deploying components to a production environment.
Server processor and memory requirements
Refer to the Web sites identified above for complete server hardware requirements. To test components created using Workplace Designer, the server must have a minimum of 2 GB RAM.
Server disk space requirements
Refer to the Web sites identified above for server disk space requirements. Workplace Designer requires 90 MB of disk space on the server.
Workplace Designer hardware requirements
Workplace Designer runs on the rich client platform. The minimum processor, memory, and disk space requirements for Workplace Designer on the rich client platform are as follows:
- Intel Pentium 3 processor, 800 MHz
- 512 MB RAM
- 500 MB disk space
This information may be updated periodically on the Web. For the latest information about IBM Workplace Collaboration Services, refer to this product information center
For the latest information on IBM Workplace Services Express, visit
Software and operating system requirements: Workplace Designer V2.6 provides Workplace Services Express V2.5.1 for test purposes only . Alternatively, you can purchase a license for and install IBM Workplace Collaboration Services V2.6. A full license for IBM Workplace Collaboration Services and IBM WebSphere Portal, or for IBM Workplace Services Express is required for deploying components to a production environment. Refer to the product information centers identified above for complete software and operating system requirements.
Software Maintenance, previously referred to as Software Subscription and Technical Support, is included in the Passport Advantage Agreement. Installation and technical support is provided by the Software Maintenance offering of the IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement. This fee service enhances customer productivity, with voice and electronic access into IBM support organizations.
Packaging: Workplace Designer V2.6 will be distributed via a media package and electronic software distribution (ESD). It is distributed in one package with the following:
- Workplace Designer V2.6 product CD
- Prerequisite software CDs
- Soft copy product documentation including README files are included on the product CDs
Security, auditability, and control
The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security features,
administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and communication
Back to top
This product is only available via Passport Advantage. It is not available as shrinkwrap.
Licensed function title Product group Product category IBM Workplace IBM Workplace Workplace Designer Designer Charge unit Program name PID number description IBM Workplace 5724-L64 Registered user Designer
Charge metrics definitions
A Registered User (User) is one and only one individual, machine, program or device with a specific identity (ID) within or outside Your enterprise which is recorded in a registry (for example, table, directory, and so on). A Proof of Entitlement (PoE) is evidence of Your authorization to use a program and is required for each User accessing the Program or any program component.
- Access to the program is restricted to users recorded in the registry.
- Users have unique specific identity and ID?s cannot be shared
- When multiple, unique registries exist, the registries will be additive for charging purposes even if a specific ID exists in both registries.
- An ID may establish one or more connections and count as a single User.
Passport Advantage program licenses
IBM Workplace Designer
Part Part description number IBM Workplace Designer Registered D5592LL User License & SW Maintenance 12 Months IBM Workplace Designer Registered E01VBLL User SW Maintenance Annual Renewal IBM Workplace Designer Registered D5593LL User SW Maintenance Reinstatement 12 Mon
Passport Advantage supply
Part Part description number IBM Workplace Designer V2.6.0 Media Pack Multilingual (English BU01IML International, French, Korean, Chinese -- Simplified, Spanish, Portuguese-Brazilian, German, Japanese, Chinese -- Traditional, Italian) Windows(TM) 2000, Windows Server 2003, Linux(TM) for x86Series Intel-based servers CD ROM Digital Disk -- ISO 9660 Standard V2.6.0 Media Pack Multilingual (English BU01MML International, French, Korean, Chinese -- Simplified, Spanish, Portuguese-Brazilian, German, Japanese, Chinese -- Traditional, Italian) i5/OS(TM) V5, OS/400(R) V5.x CD ROM Digital Disk -- ISO 9660 Standard V2.6.0
Passport Advantage customer: media pack entitlement details
Customers with active maintenance or subscription for the products listed are entitled to receive the corresponding media pack.
IBM Workplace Designer V2.6.0
Entitled maintenance Media packs Part offerings description description number IBM Workplace IBM Workplace Designer BU01MML Designer Registered Multilingual (English User International, French, Korean, Chinese Simplified, Spanish, Portuguese-Brazilian, German, Japanese, Chinese Traditional, Italian) i5/OS V5, OS/400 V5.x CD ROM Digital Disk ISO 9660 Standard IBM Workplace IBM Workplace Designer BU01IML Designer Registered Multilingual (English User International, French, Korean, Chinese Simplified, Spanish, Portuguese-Brazilian, German, Japanese, Chinese Traditional, Italian) Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, Linux for x86Series Intel-based servers CD ROM Digital Disk ISO 9660 Standard
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
This product is only available via Passport Advantage. It is not available as shrinkwrap.
Licensing: IBM International Program License Agreement. PoE are required for all authorized use.
Part number products only, offered outside of Passport Advantage, where applicable, are license only and do not include Software Maintenance.
This software license includes Software Maintenance, previously referred to as Software Subscription and Technical Support.
License information form number
Program name Program number Form number IBM Workplace 5724-L64 L-GHUS-6B9KPF Designer
On or near the planned availability date, the license information will be available for review on the IBM Software License Agreement Web site
Limited warranty applies: Yes
Warranty: This program includes a warranty for one year from acquisition from IBM or an authorized IBM Business Partner. For one year from acquisition of the program, this warranty provides the customer with access to databases containing program information and FAQs, including any known fixes to defects, which the customer can download or otherwise obtain and install.
Program technical support: Technical support of a program product will be available for a minimum of three years from the general availability date, as long as your Software Maintenance is in effect. This technical support allows you to obtain assistance (via telephone or electronic means) from IBM for product-specific, task-oriented questions regarding the installation and operation of the program product.
Software Maintenance also provides you with access to updates, releases, and versions of the program. Customers will be notified, via announcement letter, of discontinuance of support with 12 months' notice. If you require additional technical support from IBM, including an extension of support beyond the discontinuance date, contact your IBM representative or IBM Business Partner. This extension may be available for a fee.
Money-back guarantee: If for any reason you are dissatisfied with the program and you are the original licensee, return it within 30 days from the invoice date, to the party (either IBM or its reseller) from whom you acquired it, for a refund.
For programs acquired under the IBM International Passport Advantage offering, this term applies only to your first acquisition of the program.
Copy and use on home/portable computer: No
Volume orders (IVO): No
Passport Advantage applies: Yes and through the Passport Advantage Web site at
Software maintenance applies: Yes
Software Maintenance, previously referred to as Software Subscription and Technical Support, is included in the IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement. Installation and technical support is provided by the Software Maintenance offering of the IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement. This fee service provides voice and electronic access to IBM support organizations.
IBM includes one year of Software Maintenance with the initial license acquisition of each Program acquired. The initial period of Software Maintenance can be extended by the purchase of a renewal option, if available.
While your Software Maintenance is in effect, IBM provides you assistance for your routine, short duration installation and usage (how-to) questions; and code-related questions. IBM provides assistance via telephone and, if available, electronic access, only to your information systems (IS) technical support personnel during the normal business hours (published prime shift hours) of your IBM support center. (This assistance is not available to your end users.) IBM provides Severity 1 assistance 24 hours a day, every day of the year. For additional details, consult your IBM Software Support Guide at
Software Maintenance does not include assistance for the design and development of applications, your use of programs in other than their specified operating environment, or failures caused by products for which IBM is not responsible under this agreement.
For more information about the Passport Advantage Agreement, visit the Passport Advantage Web site at
iSeries Software Maintenance applies: No
Educational allowance available:
Back to top
|IBM Electronic Services|
IBM Global Services has transformed its delivery of hardware and software support services to put you on the road to higher systems availability. IBM Electronic Services is a Web-enabled solution that provides you with an exclusive, no-additional-charge enhancement to the service and support available on the IBM eServer® platform. These services provide the opportunity for greater system availability due to faster problem resolution and preemptive monitoring. IBM Electronic Services is comprised of two separate but complementary elements: IBM Electronic Services news page and IBM Electronic Service Agent.
IBM Electronic Services news page provides you with a single Internet entry point that replaces the multiple entry points traditionally used by customers to access IBM Internet services and support. The news page enables you to gain easier access to IBM resources for assistance in resolving technical problems.
The IBM Electronic Service Agent is no-additional charge software that resides on your IBM eServer system. It is designed to proactively monitor events and transmit system inventory information to IBM on a periodic, customer-defined timetable. The IBM Electronic Service Agent tracks system inventory, hardware error logs, and performance information. If the server is under a current IBM maintenance service agreement or within the IBM warranty period, the Service Agent automatically reports hardware problems to IBM.
Early knowledge about potential problems enables IBM to provide proactive service that may result in higher system availability and performance. In addition, information collected through the Service Agent will be made available to IBM service support representatives when they are helping answer your questions or diagnosing problems.
To learn how IBM Electronic Services can work for you, visit
Back to top
The prices provided in this announcement are suggested retail prices for the U.S. only and are provided for your information only. Dealer prices may vary, and prices may also vary by country. Prices are subject to change without notice. For additional information and current prices, contact your local IBM representative.
For Passport Advantage information and charges, contact your IBM representative or authorized IBM Business Partner. Additional information is also available at
Business Partner information
If you are an IBM Business Partner Distributor for Workstation Software acquiring products from IBM, you may link directly to Business Partner pricing information. An ID and password are required (use IBM ID).
IBM Global Financing
IBM Global Financing offers competitive financing to credit-qualified customers to assist them in acquiring IT solutions. Offerings include financing for IT acquisition, including hardware, software, and services, both from IBM and other manufacturers or vendors. Offerings (for all customer segments: small, medium, and large enterprise), rates, terms, and availability can vary by country. Contact your local IBM Global Financing organization or visit
IBM Global Financing offerings are provided through IBM Credit LLC in the
United States and other IBM subsidiaries and divisions worldwide to
qualified commercial and government customers. Rates are based on a
customer's credit rating, financing terms, offering type, equipment type,
and options, and may vary by country. Other restrictions may apply.
Rates and offerings are subject to change, extension, or withdrawal
Back to top
To order, contact the Americas Call Centers or your local IBM representative.
To identify your local IBM representative, call 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968).
Phone: 800-IBM-CALL (426-2255) Fax: 800-2IBM-FAX (242-6329) Internet: email@example.com Mail: IBM Americas Call Centers Dept. Teleweb Customer Support, 9th floor 105 Moatfield Drive North York, Ontario Canada M3B 3R1 Reference: YE001
The Americas Call Centers, our national direct marketing organization, can add your name to the mailing list for catalogs of IBM products.
Note: Shipments will begin after the planned availability date.
Back to top