IBM Enterprise COBOL for z/OS V3.4 continues the integration of COBOL and Web-oriented business processesIBM United States Software Announcement 205-153
June 21, 2005
|Table of contents||Document options|
Back to top
With IBM Enterprise COBOL for z/OS® V3.4, you can leverage more than 30 years of IBM experience in application development to facilitate your new e-business endeavors, helping you to integrate COBOL and Web-based business processes in Web services, XML, Java and COBOL applications. This interoperability enables you to capitalize on existing IT investment while smoothly incorporating new, Web-based applications as part of your organizations infrastructure.
Enterprise COBOL is a leading-edge IBM z/OS-based compiler that helps you create and maintain mission-critical, line-of-business COBOL applications targeted to execute on your z/OS systems and provides access to IBM DB2®, IBM CICS®, and IBM IMS systems, as well as other data and transaction systems.
New in V3.4:
- Increases several data-item size compiler limits to facilitate programming with large amounts of data
- Enhanced Unicode support that helps enable the internationalization of applications and the processing of international data
- Adds other functional enhancements
- Includes Debug Tool for z/OS V5 in Full Function offering
Back to top
- z/OS V1.4 (5694-A01), or later
Depending on the function used, certain levels of other programs may be required. Refer to the Software requirements section for details.
|Planned availability date|
July 1, 2005
For ordering, contact:
Your IBM representative, an IBM Business Partner, or IBM Americas Call Centers at
Back to top
V3.4 Compiler enhancements
Several limits on COBOL data-item size have been significantly raised. For example:
- The maximum data-item size has been raised from 16 MB to 128 MB.
- The maximum PICTURE symbol replication has been raised to 134, 217, 727.
- The maximum OCCURS integer has been raised to 134, 217, 727.
This support facilitates programming with large amounts of data. For example:
- DB2/COBOL applications that use DB2 BLOB and CLOB data types
- COBOL XML applications that parse or generate large XML documents
Support for national (Unicode UTF-16) data has been enhanced. Several additional kinds of data items can now be described implicitly or explicitly as USAGE NATIONAL:
- External decimal (national decimal) items
- External floating-point (national floating-point) items
- Numeric-edited items
- National-edited items
- Group (national group) items, supported by the GROUP-USAGE NATIONAL clause
Many COBOL language elements now support national data or support a new category of national data items:
- Numeric data with USAGE NATIONAL (national decimal and national floating point) can be used in arithmetic operations and in any language constructs that support numeric operands.
- Edited data with USAGE NATIONAL is supported in the same language constructs as any existing edited type, including editing and de-editing operations associated with moves.
- Group items that contain all national data can be defined with the GROUP-USAGE NATIONAL clause, which results in the group behaving as an elementary item in most language constructs. This support facilitates use of national groups in statements such as STRING, UNSTRING, and INSPECT.
- The XML GENERATE statement supports national groups as receiving data items, and national-edited, numeric-edited of USAGE NATIONAL, national decimal, national floating-point, and national group items as sending data items.
- The NUMVAL and NUMVAL-C intrinsic functions can take a national literal or national data item as an argument.
Using these new national data capabilities, it is now practical to develop COBOL programs that exclusively use Unicode for all application data.
Other enhancements include:
- The REDEFINES clause has been enhanced so that for data items that are not level 01, the subject of the entry can be larger than the data item being redefined.
- A new compiler option, MDECK, causes the output from library-processing statements to be written to a file.
- DB2 coprocessor support has been enhanced. COBOL zoned decimal (USAGE DISPLAY SIGN LEADING SEPARATE) data items and numeric Unicode (USAGE NATIONAL SIGN LEADING SEPARATE) data items can be used as DB2 host variables. The characters "@", "#", and "$" can be used in EXEC SQL INCLUDE file names. XREF is improved.
Full Function vs Alternate Function offerings
With V3.4, the mainframe interactive debug tool in Debug Tool for z/OS V5.1 is offered with the Enterprise COBOL compiler in the Full Function offering. This debug tool is a common facility that supports:
- Enterprise COBOL for z/OS
- Enterprise PL/I for z/OS
- COBOL for OS/390® & VM
- COBOL for MVS & VM
- VisualAge® PL/I for OS/390
- PL/I for MVS & VM
- z/OS C/C++ optional feature
- OS/390 C/C++ optional feature
Only one Full Function offering is required for debugging applications written using any of these programming products. An Alternate Function offering is available if you prefer to receive the Enterprise COBOL for z/OS compiler but not the debug tool.
Debug Tool for z/OS V5 is also offered as a separate product. For more information about the
function offered in the debug tool, refer to Software Announcement
, dated September 21, 2004.
Back to top
|Hardware and software support services|
IBM SmoothStart and Installation Services are not provided.
Business Partner information
If you are a Direct Reseller - System Reseller acquiring products from IBM, you may link directly to Business Partner information for this announcement. A PartnerWorld ID and password are required (use IBM ID).
Back to top
Specified operating environment
Unless otherwise announced by IBM, Enterprise COBOL for z/OS V3 runs under the control of, or in conjunction with, the currently supported releases of the following programs and their subsequent releases or their equivalents. For more information on programs listed below that require program temporary fixes (PTFs), refer to the Program Directory, the Customization Guide , and the preventive service planning (PSP) bucket.
Required licensed programs
- z/OS V1.4 (5694-A01), or later
Optional licensed programs
- CICS® Transaction Server for OS/390® V1 (5655-147).
- CICS Transaction Server for z/OS V2 (5697-E93).
CICS Transaction Server for z/OS V3 (5655-M15).
CICS Transaction Server V2 or V3 is required to use the integrated CICS translator support.
- COBOL Report Writer R4 (5798-DYR, 5798-DZX) is required for programs with Report Writer statements.
- DB2® UDB for z/OS and OS/390 V7 (5675-DB2).
DB2 UDB for z/OS V8 (5625-DB2).
DB2 UDB V8 with the latest service PTFs is required for use of new COBOL numeric Unicode data items as DB2 host variables.
- Debug Tool for z/OS and OS/390 V3.1 (5655-H32).
- Debug Tool Utilities and Advanced Functions for z/OS and OS/390 V3.1 (5655-J18).
- Debug Tool for z/OS V4.1 (5655-L24).
- Debug Tool Utilities and Advanced Functions for z/OS V4.1 (5655-L23).
- Debug Tool for z/OS V5.1 (5655-M18).
- Debug Tool Utilities and Advanced Functions for z/OS V5.1 (5655-M19).
- DFSORT element of z/OS (5694-A01) or OS/390 (5647-A01).
- High Level Assembler/MVS and VM and VSE (5696-234).
- IMS V7 (5655-B01).
- IMS V8 (5655-C56).
- IMS V9 (5655-J38).
- PL/I for MVS & VM V1.1 (5688-235).
- Enterprise PL/I for z/OS and OS/390 V3 (5655-H31).
- VS FORTRAN V2 (5668-806, 5688-087).
Compatibility: The following summarizes the compatibility characteristics of Enterprise COBOL for z/OS V3. Full details will be provided in the Migration Guide and the Licensed Programming Specifications.
Enterprise COBOL for z/OS V3 provides source code and object code compatibility with its predecessor product, IBM COBOL for OS/390 & VM V2, with the following exceptions:
- The CMPR2 compiler option has been removed. Source programs still using VS COBOL II R1 or R2 level syntax must be migrated to conform to ANS/ISO COBOL 85 standard rules before they can be compiled with IBM Enterprise COBOL V3.
- System Object Model (SOM®)-based object-oriented (OO) COBOL applications are no longer supported. Object-oriented COBOL syntax is "retargeted" for Java-based OO programming. Further, the primary purpose of the object-oriented syntax is not stand-alone OO COBOL programming. The syntax is intended to facilitate interoperation of COBOL and Java.
- Support for the VM/CMS environment is not provided in this product.
- New reserved words have been added.
- In addition to CMPR2, the ANALYZE, FLAGMIG, IDLGEN, and TYPECHK compiler options are removed.
- The pseudo-assembly listing produced by the LIST compiler option is slightly changed, which may impact development tools that process the listing. IBM recommends that such tools use the ADATA compiler option to obtain desired information about the compilation rather than the listing.
- The defaults for compiler options DBCS, FLAG, RENT, and XREF have been changed from NODBCS to DBCS, FLAG (I) TO FLAG (I, I), NORENT to RENT, and NOXREF to XREF (FULL).
The Enterprise COBOL for z/OS V3 package includes:
- Basic machine-readable material on the customer-selected distribution medium
- Program Directory (GI10-8423)
- Licensed Program Specifications (GC27-1411)
Security, auditability, and control
The announced program uses the security and auditability features of the host operating system
software. The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security
features, administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and
Back to top
Ordering z/OS through the Internet
ShopzSeries provides an easy way to plan and order your z/OS ServerPac or CBPDO. It will analyze your current installation, determine the correct product migration, and present your new configuration based on z/OS. Additional products can also be added to your order (including determination of whether all product requisites are satisfied). ShopzSeries is available in the U.S. and several countries in Europe. In countries where ShopzSeries is not available yet, contact your IBM representative (or IBM Business Partner) to handle your order via the traditional IBM ordering process. For more details and availability, visit the ShopzSeries Web site at
Current licensees of Enterprise COBOL for z/OS V3 will be sent a program reorder form that can be returned directly to IBM Software Delivery and Fulfillment.
Reorder forms are scheduled to be mailed by two weeks after planned availability. Reorder forms returned to IBM Software Delivery and Fulfillment will be processed within 10 workdays of receipt. When V3.4 is available, V3.3 will no longer be available.
- Orders for new licenses can be placed now.
- Customers whose orders ship before the planned availability will receive IBM Enterprise COBOL for z/OS V3.3.
- Customers whose orders ship after the planned availability date will receive IBM Enterprise COBOL for z/OS V3.4.
- New users of IBM Enterprise COBOL for z/OS V3 should specify Type: 5655 Model: G53
For ordering information on Enterprise COBOL for z/OS V3, refer to Software Announcement 201-343 , dated November 27, 2001.
Unlicensed documentation: A Program Directory (GI10-8423) and Licensed Program Specifications (GC27-1411) is supplied automatically with the basic machine-readable material. No other hardcopy publications are shipped with the product.
Displayable softcopy publications
All IBM Enterprise COBOL for z/OS V3 publications are available, free of charge, in displayable softcopy format (BookManager® and PDF) from the IBM COBOL Web site
Subsequent updates (technical newsletters or revisions between releases) to the publications shipped with the product will be distributed to the user of record for as long as a license for this software remains in effect. A separate publication order or subscription is not needed.
Most product media is shipped only via customized offerings (that is, CBPDO, ServerPac,
SystemPac®). Non-customized items (CDs, diskettes, source media, and media kits) will continue to
be shipped via the stand-alone product.
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
The terms for Enterprise COBOL for z/OS V3, as previously announced in Software Announcement 201-343 , dated November 27, 2001, licensed under the IBM Customer Agreement, are unaffected by this announcement.
IBM Operational Support Services SoftwareXcel:
Back to top
The pricing for Enterprise COBOL for z/OS V3, as previously announced in Software Announcement 201-343 , dated November 27, 2001, is unaffected by this announcement.
Entry support license OTC: An OTC authorizes use only on IBM Entry End User/390 machines.
IBM Global Financing
IBM Global Financing offers competitive financing to credit-qualified customers to assist them in acquiring IT solutions. Our offerings include financing for IT acquisition, including hardware, software, and services, both from IBM and other manufacturers or vendors. Offerings (for all customer segments: small, medium, and large enterprise), rates, terms, and availability can vary by country. Contact your local IBM Global Financing organization or visit the Web at
IBM Global Financing offerings are provided through IBM Credit LLC in the United States and other IBM subsidiaries and divisions worldwide to qualified commercial and government customers. Rates are based on a customer's credit rating, financing terms, offering type, equipment type, and options, and may vary by country. Other restrictions may apply. Rates and offerings are subject to change, extension, or withdrawal without notice. For more financing information, visit
Back to top
To order, contact the Americas Call Centers, your local IBM representative, or your IBM Business Partner.
To identify your local IBM representative or IBM Business Partner, call 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968).
Phone: 800-IBM-CALL (426-2255) Fax: 800-2IBM-FAX (242-6329) Internet: email@example.com Mail: IBM Americas Call Centers Dept: IBM CALL, 11th Floor 105 Moatfield Drive North York, Ontario Canada M3B 3R1 Reference: LE001
The Americas Call Centers, our national direct marketing organization, can add your name to the mailing list for catalogs of IBM products.
Note: Shipments will begin after the planned availability date.
Back to top