IBM Enterprise PL/I for z/OS V3.4: Enhanced PL/I supportIBM United States Software Announcement 204-281
November 30, 2004
|Table of contents||Document options|
Back to top
With IBM Enterprise PL/I for z/OS® V3.4, you can leverage more than 30 years of IBM experience in application development to facilitate your new e-business endeavors, helping you to integrate PL/I and Web-based business processes in Web services, XML, Java, and PL/I applications. This interoperability enables you to capitalize on existing IT investment while smoothly incorporating new, Web-based applications as part of your organizations infrastructure.
Enterprise PL/I is a leading-edge IBM z/OS-based compiler that helps you create and maintain mission-critical, line-of-business PL/I applications targeted to execute on your z/OS systems and provides access to IBM DB2®, IBM CICS®, and IBM IMS systems, as well as other data and transaction systems.
New in V3.4
- Eases migration with compatibility improvements with prior PL/I compilers
- Includes enhancements to help improve compiler and application performance
- Provides improved debugging support
- Adds other usability enhancements
Back to top
- z/OS V1.3 (5694-A01), or later.
- Depending on the function used, certain levels of other programs may be required. Refer to the Software requirements section for details.
Back to top
|Planned availability date|
December 10, 2004
For ordering, contact:
Your IBM representative, an IBM Business Partner, or IBM Americas Call Centers at
Back to top
V3.4 compiler enhancements
V3.4 contains enhancements to make it more compatible for migration with the OS PL/I V2 and PL/I for MVS and VM compilers.
- Will use the same PRV mechanism to address CONTROLLED variables as previous compilers used under the new PRV suboption of the NOWRITABLE option. This allows CONTROLLED variables to be shared between old and new code.
- Improved and eased default initialization of variables with INITAUTO, INITBASED, INITCTL, and INITSTATIC.
- Eased decimal precision specification in ADD, DIVIDE, and MULTIPLY.
- Support of previous STRING of GRAPHIC semantics with the new STRINGOFGRAPHIC.
- Support of previous semantics for the DEFAULT statement.
- Flag declares with storage overlay problems that "used to work" under the previous compiler.
- Lifted restrictions on RETURN inside BEGIN.
- Support of EXT STATIC initialized in assembler.
- Optionally flag semicolons in comments by using the new NOLAXSEMI suboption of the RULES option.
- Flag invalid carriage control characters when the MARGINS option indicates that carriage control characters are present.
- Flag more language misuse, especially with RETURN.
- Support of REPLACEBY2 to reduce stack usage.
V3.4 contains a number of enhancements designed to improve the compile time or run time of your application.
- The compiler will use the SRST instruction in INDEX(x,y) if x and y are CHAR. When y is CHAR(1), code is specially optimized.
- Improved code will be generated for TRANSLATE(x,y,z), particularly when x and z are constants.
The compiler will inline the following to help produce faster, shorter code sequences:
- Or and And of BIN FIXED
- SIGNED FIXED BIN(8) to ALIGNED BIT(8)
- Assignments to pictures with all Z's and a trailing or leading sign (such as PIC'(n)ZS', PIC'(n)Z+' and PIC'(n)Z-')
- FLOAT to FIXED DEC even if SIZE is enabled
- Assignments to pictures where total zero suppression applies (such as PIC'ZZZ,ZZZ')
- The compiler will flag statements where it generates a call to a library routine to map a structure at run time.
- The compiler now generates better code for packed decimal arithmetic. This should also result in faster, shorter code sequences.
- The compiler reduces the amount of stack storage used for concatenates.
- The compiler includes faster condition handling for I/O ON-units consisting of only a GOTO statement or only of very simple assignments.
- The performance of compiler listing generation is improved.
- The code generated to pass a structure using only a simple REFER as a parameter has been improved.
- The scheduler phase of code generation has been improved under OPT(2) or OPT(3) when the new SCHEDULER option is on.
- Optionally provides offsets in the AGGREGATE listing in hex.
- Supports DEC(31) only when needed.
- Allows comments in options where blanks would also be allowed. This can be especially useful when options files are used.
- Optionally flag declares of even precision FIXED DEC.
- Optionally flag DEC to DEC assignments that could raise SIZE.
- Flag DEC/PIC to PIC assignments that could raise SIZE.
- Supports LIKE without INIT.
- Ease INCLUDEs from partitioned data sets under UNIX® System Services (USS).
Support more built-ins in the MACRO facility. In particular, the MACRO facility will support the
following built-in functions:
- Adds a new DOC option to the OPTIONS option to allow you to specify whether you want all options and suboptions in the listing, or only those options and suboptions described in the programming guide.
- Optionally disallow use of PROCESS.
- Optionally keep PROCESS across preprocessors.
- Adds %XINCLUDE statement that has the same syntax and function as the %INCLUDE statement, but will include a file only if it has not already been included.
- Adds %INSCAN and %XINSCAN statements that will specify, via a macro expression, the name of a file to be included.
- The new HOOK/NOHOOK suboption of the TEST option will control whether the compiler generates debug hooks or just the information needed for overlay hooks. So, if NOHOOK is specified along with one of the suboptions that would previously have generated hooks, no hooks will be generated, but the additional PPA's needed for overlay hooks will be generated. The option TEST(BLOCK,NOHOOK,NOSYM) will then also be useful in allowing the Language Environment® dump to include more information (such as the module name in the traceback) without the addition of any extra instructions in the generated code.
- User specified options will always be included in the listing to help in problem analysis.
Full Function versus Alternate Function offerings
With V3.4, the mainframe interactive debug tool in Debug Tool for z/OS V5 is offered with the Enterprise PL/I compiler in the Full Function offering. This debug tool is a common facility that supports:
- Enterprise COBOL for z/OS
- Enterprise PL/I for z/OS
- COBOL for OS/390® and VM
- COBOL for MVS and VM
- VisualAge® PL/I for OS/390
- PL/I for MVS and VM
- z/OS C/C++ optional feature
- OS/390 C/C++ optional feature
Only one Full Function offering is required for debugging applications written using any of these programming products. An Alternate Function offering is available if you prefer to receive the Enterprise PL/I for z/OS compiler but not the debug tool.
Debug Tool for z/OS V5 is also offered as a separate product. For more information about the function offered in the debug tool, refer to Software Announcement 204-206 , dated September 21, 2004.
Back to top
Specified operating environment
Unless otherwise announced by IBM, Enterprise PL/I for z/OS V3.4 runs under the control of, or in conjunction with, the currently supported releases of the following programs and their subsequent releases or their equivalents. For more information on programs listed below that require program temporary fixes (PTFs), refer to the program directory and preventive service planning (PSP) bucket.
Required licensed programs
- z/OS V1.3 (5694-A01), or later
Optional licensed programs
- CICS® Transaction Server for OS/390® V1 (5655-147)
- CICS Transaction Server for z/OS V2 (5697-E93)
- COBOL for MVS & VM V1.2 (5688-197)
- COBOL for OS/390 & VM V2 (5648-A25)
- Enterprise COBOL for z/OS and OS/390 V3 (5655-G53)
- DB2® UDB for OS/390 V6 (5645-DB2)
- DB2 UDB for z/OS and OS/390 V7 (5675-DB2)
- DB2 UDB for z/OS V8 (5625-DB2)
- Debug Tool for z/OS V4.1 (5655-L24)
- Debug Tool Utilities and Advanced Functions for z/OS V4.1 (5655-L23)
- Debug Tool for z/OS V5.1 (5655-M18)
- Debug Tool Utilities and Advanced Functions for z/OS V5.1 (5655-M19)
- DFSORT R13 (5740-SM1)
- High Level Assembler/MVS and VM and VSE (5696-234)
- IMS V7 (5655-B01)
- IMS V8 (5655-C56)
- OS PL/I V2.3 (5668-909, 5668-910, 5668-911)
- PL/I for MVS & VM R1.1 (5688-235)
- VS Fortran V2 (5668-806, 5688-087)
The Enterprise PL/I for z/OS V3.4 package includes:
- Basic machine-readable material on the customer-selected distribution medium
- Program Directory (GI10-8426)
- Licensed Program Specifications (GC27-1455)
Security, auditability, and control
The announced program uses the security and auditability features of the host operating system
software. The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security
features, administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and
Back to top
Ordering z/OS through the Internet
ShopzSeries provides an easy way to plan and order your z/OS ServerPac or CBPDO. It will analyze your current installation, determine the correct product migration, and present your new configuration based on z/OS. Additional products can also be added to your order (including determination of whether all product requisites are satisfied). ShopzSeries is available in the U.S. and several countries in Europe. In countries where ShopzSeries is not available yet, contact your IBM representative (or IBM Business Partner) to handle your order via the traditional IBM ordering process. For more details and availability, visit the ShopzSeries Web site at
Current licensees of Enterprise PL/I for z/OS V3 will be sent a program reorder form that can be returned directly to IBM Software Delivery and Fulfillment.
Reorder forms are scheduled to be mailed by two weeks after planned availability. Reorder forms returned to IBM Software Delivery and Fulfillment will be processed within 10 workdays of receipt. When V3.4 is available, V3.3 will no longer be available.
- Orders for new licenses can be placed now.
- Customers whose orders ship before the planned availability will receive IBM Enterprise PL/I for z/OS V3.3.
- Customers whose orders ship after the planned availability date will receive IBM Enterprise PL/I for z/OS V3.4.
- New users of IBM Enterprise PL/I for z/OS V3 should specify Type: 5655 Model: H31.
For ordering information on IBM Enterprise PL/I for z/OS V3, refer to Software Announcement 201-344 , dated November 27, 2001.
Unlicensed documentation: A Program Directory (GI10-8426) and Licensed Program Specifications (GC27-1455) is supplied automatically with the basic machine-readable material. No other hardcopy publications are shipped with the product.
Displayable softcopy publications: All IBM Enterprise PL/I for z/OS V3 publications are available, free of charge, in displayable softcopy format (BookManager®, PDF) from the IBM PL/I Web site at
Subsequent updates (technical newsletters or revisions between releases) to the publications shipped with the product will be distributed to the user of record for as long as a license for this software remains in effect. A separate publication order or subscription is not needed.
Most product media is shipped only via customized offerings (that is, CBPDO, ServerPac,
SystemPac®). Non-customized items (CDs, diskettes, source media, and media kits) will continue to
be shipped via the stand-alone product.
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
The terms for Enterprise PL/I for z/OS V3, as previously announced in Software Announcement 201-344 , dated November 27, 2001, licensed under the IBM Customer Agreement, are unaffected by this announcement.
IBM Operational Support Services SoftwareXcel:
Back to top
The pricing for IBM Enterprise PL/I for z/OS V3, as previously announced in Software Announcement 201-344 , dated November 27, 2001, is unaffected by this announcement.
Entry support license OTC: OTC authorizes use only on IBM Entry End User/390 machines.
IBM Global Financing
IBM Global Financing offers competitive financing to credit-qualified customers to assist them in acquiring IT solutions. Our offerings include financing for IT acquisition, including hardware, software, and services, both from IBM and other manufacturers or vendors. Offerings (for all customer segments: small, medium, and large enterprise), rates, terms, and availability can vary by country. Contact your local IBM Global Financing organization or visit the Web at
IBM Global Financing offerings are provided through IBM Credit LLC in the United States and other IBM subsidiaries and divisions worldwide to qualified commercial and government customers. Rates are based on a customer's credit rating, financing terms, offering type, equipment type, and options, and may vary by country. Other restrictions may apply. Rates and offerings are subject to change, extension, or withdrawal without notice. For more financing information, visit
Back to top
To order, contact the Americas Call Centers, your local IBM representative, or your IBM Business Partner.
To identify your local IBM representative or IBM Business Partner, call 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968).
Phone: 800-IBM-CALL (426-2255) Fax: 800-2IBM-FAX (242-6329) Internet: email@example.com Mail: IBM Americas Call Centers Dept: IBM CALL, 11th Floor 105 Moatfield Drive North York, Ontario Canada M3B 3R1 Reference: LE001
The Americas Call Centers, our national direct marketing organization, can add your name to the mailing list for catalogs of IBM products.
Note: Shipments will begin after the planned availability date.
Back to top