IBM WebSphere Everyplace Access V5.0 offers your mobile employees access to enterprise data and applicationsIBM United States Software Announcement 204-149
June 29, 2004
(Corrected on September 7, 2004)
|At a glance|
New in WebSphere Everyplace Access (WEA) V5.0:
- Enhancements to application development tools, including a multidevice authoring tool to help automatically generate device-specific applications from a generic example
- Expanded client and device support
- Enhancements to client and server user interfaces, including tighter integration of Everyplace Client components, and single sign-on capability
- Enhancements to Personal Information Manager (PIM) and e-mail synchronization
- Increased administrative flexibility for Everyplace Synchronization Server and device management
- Improved installation and configuration
- New notification channels and capabilities
Back to top
WebSphere® Everyplace Access (WEA) V5.0 offers an integrated client-server environment to extend business applications to mobile users. WEA V5.0 provides a common backend integration framework, common administration and management capability, and complementary functions for building, deploying, and managing mobile solutions. Enterprises can use WEA to help transform themselves into on demand businesses by extending access to critical information and applications.
Enterprises can use WEA in mobile sales force and field force automation solutions, to help improve productivity, increase revenue, and reduce cost of operations. WEA can support multiple applications from a single, integrated infrastructure. With WEA V5.0, independent software vendors (ISVs) and system integrators can build mobile solutions quickly and take advantage of existing skills, standards, and technologies.
WEA supports devices that use a wide range of operating systems for handheld devices, including Palm OS, eLinux, Symbian, Research In Motion (RIM), Pocket PC 2002, and Windows Mobile 2003.
WEA V5.0 builds on the capabilities provided by WEA V4.3.0, including:
- PIM and e-mail synchronization
- Mobile instant messaging
- Off-line browsing
- Intelligent notification services
- Device management
- Location aware services
- Device administration interface
WEA V5.0 supports both connected and disconnected operations for real time and intermittent access to enterprise backend applications.
WEA V5.0 contains other IBM products and technologies for use in the WEA environment, including DB2® Everyplace, the Everyplace Client, and the Everyplace Toolkit for WebSphere Studio. The Everyplace Toolkit includes tools and examples to help build applications that run in a WEA environment and target multiple types of mobile devices.
IBM intends to add capabilities to WEA, including IBM Workplace Client Technology, Micro Edition components, expanded and enhanced device support, and an intelligent mobile off-line forms capability. For details, refer to the Statement of direction .
WEA Starter Edition V5.0
WEA Starter Edition is for customers who want the benefits and full functionality of WEA, but who need to start on a smaller scale than is enabled by the processor licensing. WEA Starter Edition V4.3 is being updated to WEA Starter Edition V5.0. WEA Starter Edition V5.0 maintains its unique pricing, licensing terms, and usage limitation of 50 users. WEA Starter Edition allows a customer to acquire the complete WEA V5.0 product for a smaller investment to meet current needs, then expand at their own pace.
For more information or assistance, contact an IBM Pervasive Computing representative, or visit
Back to top
|Planned availability dates|
- September 14, 2004: Electronic software delivery
- September 30, 2004: Media and documentation
Back to top
WebSphere Everyplace Access (WEA) is built on the WebSphere e-business framework, the underlying technology for WebSphere Portal and other IBM software products. This structure helps provide a consistent and rapid programming model to create and extend e-business applications. All components of WEA V5.0 are pre-integrated and pre-tested to work together at optimum levels and deliver an end-to-end solution framework. This integrated offering includes:
- DB2 Everyplace technology to enable mobile access to JDBC-compliant databases
- Everyplace Client to support a variety of clients and devices that may be used by WEA customers
- Everyplace Toolkit to help application developers write portlet applications for wireless and mobile clients
- WebSphere Studio Site Developer for use with the Everyplace Toolkit (usage restrictions apply)
WEA V5.0 functions and key enhancements
Everyplace Toolkit for WebSphere Studio helps support a rapid application development environment and the integration with backend applications. New toolkit features for WEA V5.0 include:
- Multi-device authoring tools can help write a single generic application and automatically generate device-specific applications for supported client devices.
- Reusable Forms Wizard uses form templates and can help create new form templates for reuse.
- Mobile and off-line field validation to forms enhances the syntactic validation of data entered on the client-side.
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)/Customer Relationship Management (CRM) Portlet Wizard assists in creation and optimization of an ERP or CRM portlet.
- DB2 Portlet Wizard helps create a DB2 database connection portlet.
- Integrated development environment can be used to test the applications on browsers that emulate the devices.
- Additional examples demonstrate server side APIs within the context of running applications.
- Intelligent Notification Services (INS) and Location Aware Services (LAS) examples help demonstrate how these services may be incorporated into an application and are created as projects that may be enhanced to fit the specific requirements for developer's use of these technologies.
Intelligent Notification Services (INS) deliver business critical alerts across multiple channels. INS enhancements include:
- Notification Manager and Subscription Manager components of INS are now WebSphere J2EE applications.
- New notification channel adapters that expand the number and type of possible notification channels, including Voice, Pager, Blackberry, and AOL channels as well as the current e-mail, Sametime®, Short Messaging Service (SMS), Wireless Application Protocol (WAP), and Message Center channel adapters.
- New Notification Manager functions that support delayed notification, notification history, and a new option for sending notifications allow all the notification information to be self-contained in the request.
- User preference information is now stored in database tables instead of LDAP.
- Enhanced administrator and user portlets.
Location Aware Services (LAS) allow enterprises to leverage location sensitive content in enterprise solutions. LAS offers application developers the functionality to take advantage of location-based services from multiple vendors through an easy-to-use, yet powerful, application program interface. LAS enhancements include:
- New adapters to location information providers MapInfo miAware 2.0 and Webraska Smartzone Geospatial Platform (SGP) 3.0
- Mapping and directions portlet enhancements to allow users to find an address by clicking on a point in a displayed map
- Ability for users to enter their Global Positioning System (GPS) coordinates manually or through HTTP request and modify the search radius when searching points of interest
- Increased security through SSL support of the connection with third party providers
- Additional examples in the Everyplace Toolkit that are focused on developing applications that leverage location sensitive information
Device Management Services (DMS) allow efficient software distribution and maintenance. DMS provides the capability to identify, configure, inventory, and distribute software to mobile devices. When a device connects to the Device Manager server, device enrollment is verified and the processing of all scheduled jobs for the device is initiated. New in this release:
- Dynamic Job Targeting adds job evaluation criteria every time a device connects.
- Locale specific look-ups of software packages add substitutable keywords as part of software package URLs for more intuitive and flexible administration.
- Prerequisite check for free space and software packages helps avoid partial downloads for OSGi clients.
- Improved software removal monitoring capability allows monitoring of software packages that have been removed.
- General purpose software removal capability (for selected devices).
- Improved support for Pocket PC 2002 and Windows Mobile 2003, including additional software distribution primitive operations such as reboot, multiple application launch, and enhanced inventory functions, and application launch is added for Palm.
Simplified installation and enhanced administration include an improved two-step install and configure process that is utilized by WebSphere Portal. It can:
- Simplify installation scenarios for select functions to be used in proof of concepts and focused deployments
- Support full customization of installation in complex and distributed environments
- Simplify the method for administrators and users to create synchronization profiles
- Aid in problem determination via enhanced logging and tracing
- Reconfigure many administrative settings after initial install to help support individual needs and ever changing production environment requirements
Relational database synchronization in the WEA environment is enabled by including DB2 Everyplace V8.1.4 in the integrated WEA V5.0 offering. Quick deployment of applications helps leverage relational database content. Enterprise data can be synchronized between the backend relational databases and mobile devices.
Enhanced personal productivity
Out-of-the-box wireless e-mail and PIM for Lotus Notes® and Microsoft Exchange, including
- Synchronization of e-mail and PIM information to PDAs and SyncML supported devices
- Online viewing of e-mail and PIM information via a Web portlet
- Microsoft Exchange servers 5.5 and 2000
- Lotus® Domino Server 5.0.12, or later, 6.0 and 6.5 (replication of Read/unread marks is supported for Domino 6.0.4 and 6.5.1 only)
Support for most major mailbox, calendar, and to-do features, including:
- Two-way synchronization of e-mail attachments
- E-mail, PIM, and attachment filtering based on several factors such as read/unread status, time, or sender
- Automated, background e-mail and PIM synchronization (on selected clients)
- "Over the air" synchronization directly between the server and the mobile device
- Desktop pass-through (for select devices) using a desktop computer for HTTP pass-through access to back end WEA services
Online portal browsing for connected and disconnected access to web applications and off-line portal
browsing on selected devices
- Off-line forms functionality enhanced with forms validation function (only for devices that can support these capabilities)
- User experience more consistent with connected portal browsing
- Landscape aggregator improvements
Supported client devices
The following devices have been tested with WEA 5.0 and are supported.
Palm OS based devices
PalmOne Tungsten C
Note: The Web Cache Client feature in Everyplace Client V5.0 for Palm OS is not supported on Tungsten C devices and is provided "as-is" without warranty.
- PalmOne Tungsten W
- PalmOne Treo 600
- Limited support for PalmOne Treo 300 and Kyocera 7135 (via download only)
- PalmOne Tungsten C
Symbian OS based devices
- Sony Ericsson P900
- Nokia 9500 Communicator (delivered as an interim release; refer to the Statement of direction )
eLinux OS based device
- Sharp Zaurus SL-6000 (Japanese only)
Pocket PC 2002 and Windows Mobile 2003 based devices
- Hitachi G1000
- HP iPAQ 3760
- HP iPAQ 1935
- HP iPAQ 4150
- HP iPAQ 5550
- Symbol 8800
- MMO2 XDA II
- Toshiba e405
- Dell Axim X3
- Siemens LOOX 610
WEA Resource Checker
Additional Pocket PC 2002, Pocket PC 2002 Phone Edition, Windows Mobile 2003 and Windows Mobile 2003 Phone Edition devices not listed may also be used with WEA. To determine whether a particular device may be used with WEA, you must use WEA Resource Checker. The WEA Resource Checker is a software tool that determines if a particular device, your operating environment, and planned usage of WEA exceeds the capabilities of the device. This tool is available at
If the tool reports that the capabilities of a particular device have not been exceeded, IBM recommends that you do additional testing with the device to verify correct operation using WEA and any other device-specific services, applications, and representative data you plan to use. Should the device or your operating environment change, IBM requires that you use the tool again to determine that you have not exceeded the device capabilities.
If you encounter a problem using a device that has sufficient capability based on the output of the tool, then IBM will:
- Take a problem report
- Verify the device capabilities have not been exceeded using the tool
- Attempt to re-create the problem on a similar supported device
If the problem can be re-created on a supported device, then IBM, at its discretion, will supply a fix. If the problem cannot be re-created when using a supported device, then IBM, at its discretion, will determine if a fix can be provided.
Device considerations and limitations
- The design of some devices may limit the WEA capabilities that can be used by the device. Not all devices can support all of the functions offered by WEA.
- IBM cannot guarantee that all devices will work correctly due to differences in manufacturing, configuration, and pre-loaded device software.
- Some Everyplace Clients for the supported devices are available as downloads rather than being included on the WEA media.
- Availability of devices and the level of device support may change over time based on device manufacturers actions. Some devices may go out of support; new devices may be added.
- If you encounter a problem on a device that is no longer supported by the manufacturer or service provider, IBM, at its discretion, will determine if a fix can be provided.
For additional information or help determining device support please contact your IBM representative.
For assistance and more information on any aspect of WEA, contact your IBM Pervasive Computing sales specialist or authorized Business Partner and visit the following IBM Web sites
IBM Pervasive Computing (PvC) Lab-based Services:
To help improve your overall experience with WEA V5.0, IBM
recommends that you engage our highly skilled resources from IBM PvC
Lab-based Services to help you plan and implement the access required by
your mobile employees to enterprise data and applications. IBM PvC
installation consultants can help ensure a smoother software installation
and integration with your network infrastructure, and can help quickly
configure your systems and client devices to provide highly secure
wireless access to e-mail and PIM from Lotus Notes and Microsoft Exchange
servers. IBM PvC application consultants can help facilitate rapid
development and deployment of solutions that take advantage of the rich
functional support for mobile employees provided by WEA V5.0. This
includes the following services: on and off-line forms manipulation,
multichannel notification, and device management.
Back to top
WebSphere Everyplace Access (WEA) V5.0 replaces previous releases of WEA.
It also replaces the software in previous releases of WEA Starter
Back to top
|Statement of direction|
It is IBM's intent to add additional capabilities to WEA that will enhance the development and deployment of applications to mobile devices. These new capabilities include the addition of IBM Workplace Client Technology, Micro Edition and an intelligent mobile off-line forms capability.
IBM also intends to make additional enhancements to currently supported devices and add new devices for use with WEA.
These enhancements and additions will be made available throughout the second half of 2004.
All statements regarding IBM's future direction or intent are subject to change or withdrawal, and
represent only goals and objectives.
Back to top
Refer to Software Announcement 203-115 , dated April 29, 2003.
Refer to Software Announcement 203-114 , dated April 29, 2003.
Refer to Software Announcement 203-354 , dated December 16, 2003.
Refer to Software Announcement 203-353 , dated December 16, 2003.
Refer to Software Announcement 204-150 , dated June 29, 2004.
Back to top
Visit the IBM Pervasive Computing Web site for more information about education and training
IBM Global Services, IT Education Services, provides education to support many IBM offerings. Descriptions of courses for IT professionals and managers are on the IBM IT Education Services Web site
Refer to the IBM IT Education Services Web site for information on course locations and availability dates.
Call IBM IT Education Services at 800-IBM-TEACH (426-8322) for catalogs,
schedules, and enrollments.
Back to top
Product information is available via the Offering Information Web site
Also, visit the Passport Advantage® Web site
Back to top
No printed publications are shipped with this product. Documentation is included in the program software.
The IBM Publications Center
The Publications Center is a worldwide central repository for IBM product publications and marketing material with a catalog of 70,000 items. Extensive search facilities are provided. Payment options for orders are via credit card (in the U.S.) or customer number for 50 countries. A large number of publications are available online in various file formats, and they can all be downloaded by all countries free of charge.
The IBM Publications Notification System (PNS)
PNS enables subscribers to set up profiles of interest by order number/product number. PNS subscribers automatically receive e-mail notifications of all new publications defined in their profiles. These may then be ordered/downloaded from the Publications Center.
The PNS site is available in English and Canadian French.
Back to top
WEA V5.0 server requirements:
One of the following:
- Intel Pentium III with Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2000 Advanced Server with Service Pack 4 (1 GHz for distributed environments; 2 GHz for non-distributed environments)
- IBM pSeries® with AIX® 5.2, or later
- Memory: Minimum 2 GB
- Disk Space: Minimum of 2 GB for distributed environments; 10 GB for a full server installation, plus additional run-time disk space which is dependent on usage patterns
The exact system and disk space requirements will vary depending on the WEA V5.0 components that are selected for installation. The number of applications, users, and resources supported in each customer environment can also impact the system requirements.
WEA V 5.0 server requirements:
One of the following operating systems:
- Windows 2000 Server
- Windows 2000 Advanced Server with Service Pack 4
- AIX 5.2, or later
The following LDAP servers have been tested and are fully supported:
- IBM Directory Server V4.1 and V5.1
- Microsoft Active Directory 2000
- Domino V5 and V6
Everyplace Toolkit V5.0.1 for WebSphere® Studio requires:
- Windows 2000 Professional, Service pack 2 or later
- WebSphere Studio Site Developer V5.1.1 or WebSphere Studio Application Developer V5.1.1
Limitations: Refer to the Usage restrictions section in the Terms and conditions section. IBM licensing agreements and license information documents are available on the IBM Software Licensing Agreement (SLA) site
For more information about WEA V5.0 and WEA Starter Edition, visit the Pervasive Computing Web site at
Click on "Tools and Resources" and "Support and Downloads" for helpful information and contacts.
For customers requesting assistance with the planning, implementation, configuration, or integration of WEA, trained personnel are available from IBM and from designated business partners. Contact information is available on the Pervasive Computing Web site.
Customer responsibilities: Customers are responsible for acquiring any system requirements or additional software products that may be needed for their specific environments. They are also responsible for implementing any security measures that are appropriate for their organization.
Installability: Software Maintenance, previously referred to as Software Subscription and Technical Support, is included in the Passport Advantage Agreement. Installation and technical support is provided by the Software Maintenance offering of the IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement. This fee service enhances customer productivity, with voice and electronic access into IBM support organizations.
Packaging: This product is available on CDs via the Passport Advantage media pack. It is also available for electronic download from the Passport Advantage site.
Security, auditability, and control
The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security features,
administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and communication
Back to top
Licensed function Product Product title group category WebSphere IBM Pervasive WebSphere Everyplace Access Computing Everyplace Division Access WebSphere IBM Pervasive WebSphere Everyplace Access Computing Everyplace Starter Edition Division Access
WEA V5.0 and WEA Starter Edition are available only through Passport Advantage. The product identification number (5724-E69) is used for identification. Ordering is via Passport Advantage part numbers.
WEA V5.0 has one charge per processor install.
Customers should order the license-plus-maintenance part number in a quantity equal to the number of processors on which they plan to install this product. A processor is defined as any system or node executing all or part of WEA. For example, two 4-way symmetric multiprocessor (SMP) systems, whether standalone or nodes in a larger system, are counted as eight processors. The customer should order the licensing-plus-maintenance Passport Advantage part number in a quantity of eight. If two single processor systems will be used, the customer should order the license-plus-maintenance part number in a quantity of two.
WEA Starter Edition V5.0 has one charge per 50 users.
The charge structure and licensing of WEA Starter Edition is based on users. The minimum is one license for up to 50 users. For 51 to 100 users, the customer should order a quantity of two; for 101 to 150 order three, and so forth. There are additional terms and limitations that apply to WEA Starter Edition.
Tradeup and discount options are available as follows:
- WEA Starter Edition trade to WEA: 25% discount when converting a WEA Starter Edition 50-user license to one full entitlement version of WEA processor-based license
- WEA for Lotus® Domino trade to WEA: 25% discount when trading 300 WEA for Lotus Domino users licenses for one WEA processor license.
- DB2® Everyplace trade to WEA: 25% discount when trading a DB2 Everyplace processor license on a one-to-one basis for a WEA processor license
- WebSphere Portal Enable, Extend, or Enterprise customers receive a 25% discount when purchasing WEA on a one-for-one processor basis. The customer does not have to give up their Portal license(s).
The discounts are applied to the price a customer would normally pay for WEA, according to the terms of their Passport Advantage Agreement.
Passport Advantage program licenses
WebSphere Everyplace Access Starter Edition
Part Description number WEA Starter Edition 50 Users D52C0LL License & SW Maintenance 12 Months WEA Starter Edition 50 Users SW E00QWLL Maintenance Annual Renewal WEA Starter Edition 50 Users SW D52C1LL Maintenance Reinstatement 12 Months
WebSphere Everyplace Access WEA Per Processor License & SW D5196LL Maintenance 12 Months WEA Per Processor SW Maintenance E00BQLL Annual Renewal WEA Per Processor SW Maintenance D5198LL Reinstatement 12 Months To WEA 5.0 from WEA Starter D52BMLL Edition TRDUP Lic+SW Maint 12 Mos To WEA 5.0 from DB2e TRDUP D51WQLL Lic+SW Maint 12 Mos To WEA 5.0 from WebSphere Portal D51WSLL TRDUP Lic+SW Maint 12 Mos To WEA 5.0 from WEA for Lotus D53JQLL Domino TRDUP Lic+SW Maint 12 Mos
Passport Advantage customer: Media pack entitlement details
Customers with active maintenance or subscription for the products listed are entitled to receive the corresponding media pack.
Entitled maintenance Media packs Part offerings description description number WEA Starter Edition V5.0.0 WebSphere WEA Starter Edition BK06RML Everyplace Multilingual (French, Access Starter Korean, Chinese - Edition 50 Users Simplified, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, German, Japanese, Chinese - Traditional, English U.S., Italian) Windows 2000, AIX V5.x CD-ROM Digital Disk - ISO 9660 Standard WEA V5.0.0 WEBSPHERE WEA BK03VML EVERYPLACE Multilingual (French, ACCESS PROC Korean, Chinese - Simplified, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, German, Japanese, Chinese - Traditional, English U.S., Italian) Windows 2000, AIX V5.x CD-ROM Digital Disk - ISO 9660 Standard
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
This product is only available via Passport Advantage. It is not available as shrinkwrap.
Agreement: IBM International Program License Agreement. Proofs of Entitlement (PoE) are required for all authorized use.
Part number products only, offered outside of Passport Advantage, where applicable, are license only and do not include Software Maintenance.
License information (LI) form number: L-KFRS-5YQRNZ
Limited warranty applies: Yes
Money-back guarantee: If for any reason you are dissatisfied with the program, return it within 30 days from the invoice date, to the party (either IBM or its reseller) from whom you acquired it, for a refund. This applies only to your first acquisition of the program.
Copy and use on home/portable computer: No
Volume orders (IVO): No
Passport Advantage applies: Yes and through the Passport Advantage Web site at
Usage restriction: Yes
WEA and WEA Starter Edition include other software products. WEA V5.0 and WEA Starter Edition V5.0 and some of these other products include unique terms and conditions, in addition to the terms and conditions of the IBM International Program License Agreement (IPLA). Program unique terms are included in the LI that is provided with WEA and WEA Starter Edition.
WEA Starter Edition terms include usage restrictions.
On or near the planned availability date of WEA and WEA Starter Edition, the LI will be available for review on the IBM SLA site at
IBM Passport Advantage terms and conditions also apply.
IBM Operational Support Services Support line: No
Other support: Passport Advantage
iSeries Software Subscription applies:
Back to top
|IBM Electronic Services|
IBM Global Services has transformed its delivery of hardware and software support services to put you on the road to higher systems availability. IBM Electronic Services is a Web-enabled solution that provides you with an exclusive, no-additional-charge enhancement to the service and support on the IBM eServer®. You should benefit from greater system availability due to faster problem resolution and preemptive monitoring. IBM Electronic Services is comprised of two separate but complementary elements: IBM Electronic Services news page and IBM Electronic Service Agent.
IBM Electronic Services news page provides you with a single Internet entry point that replaces the multiple entry points traditionally used by customers to access IBM Internet services and support. By using the news page, it enables you to gain easier access to IBM resources for assistance in resolving technical problems.
The IBM Electronic Service Agent is no-additional charge software that resides on your IBM eServer system. It is designed to proactively monitor events and transmit system inventory information to IBM on a periodic customer-defined timetable. The IBM Electronic Service Agent tracks system inventory, hardware error logs, and performance information. If the server is under a current IBM maintenance service agreement or within the IBM warranty period, the Service Agent automatically reports hardware problems to IBM. Early knowledge about potential problems enables IBM to provide proactive service that maintains higher system availability and performance. In addition, information collected through the Service Agent will be made available to IBM service support representatives when they are helping answer your questions or diagnosing problems.
To learn how IBM Electronic Services can work for you, visit
For Passport Advantage and charges, contact your IBM Pervasive Computing Division representative or contact your authorized IBM Lotus Business Partner. Information is also available on your Passport Advantage Web page
To order, contact the Americas Call Centers, your local IBM representative, or your IBM Business Partner.
To identify your local IBM Business Partner or IBM representative, call 1 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968).
Back to top