IBM System Storage TS1120 Tape Controller supports TS3400 Tape Library attachment for IBM System z, and 3494 Tape Library supports Open Systems Library Managed EncryptionIBM United States Hardware Announcement 107-393
July 10, 2007
|At a glance|
The TS1120 Tape Controller attaches TS3400 Tape Libraries to System z platforms. Open systems Library Managed Encryption functionality is supported by 3494 Tape Libraries. New functions and capabilities of Release 3.3 machine code include:
- FICON and ESCON channel attachment for TS1120 Tape Drives in TS3400 Tape Libraries
- An enhanced router for the TS1120 Tape Controller to be used with the TS3400 Tape Library
- Open system Library Managed Encryption functionality with 3494 Tape Libraries
- An enhanced processor for the 3494 Model Lxx Library Managers and the 3953 Model L05 Library Manager
- CCC, BSMI, and IRAM agency certified power cords for 3952 Model F05 and 3953 Model F05 Tape Frames
For ordering, contact:
Your IBM representative, an IBM Business Partner, or IBM Americas Call Centers at
Back to top
IBM System Storage TS1120 Tape Drives installed in the IBM System Storage TS3400 Tape Library can now be attached to System z platforms using the IBM System Storage TS1120 Tape Controller. An enhanced router is required for the TS1120 Tape Controller when it is connected to a TS3400 Tape Library. The TS1120 Tape Controller machine code has also been enhanced to support the advanced FICON diagnostics capabilities of Purge Path Extended.
The IBM TotalStorage® 3494 Enterprise Automated Tape Library machine code has also been enhanced to support Library Managed Encryption for open systems. An enhanced processor is now available for the 3949 Library Manager and the IBM 3953 Library Manager.
Power cords with agency certifications from CCC, BSMI, and IRAM are now available for the IBM 3952
Tape Frame Model F05 and the IBM 3953 Tape Frame Model F05.
Back to top
The TS1120 Tape Controller can attach to ESCON® and FICON channels on selected System z servers
with the appropriate levels of System z software. A Fibre Channel switch, which is available as a
feature number or may be supplied by the customer, is required to attach more than four 3592 Tape
Drives to the TS1120 Tape Controller.
Back to top
|Planned availability date|
August 31, 2007
Back to top
TS1120 Tape Drives installed in a TS3400 Tape Library can be attached to System z FICON or ESCON channels by using the TS1120 Tape Controller. The TS3400 Tape Library provides a small library alternative for the System z platform. The TS3400 supports one or two TS1120 Tape Drives, and up to 18 3592 tape cartridges. An enhanced router is required for the TS1120 Tape Controller when it is connected with a TS3400 Tape Library. The enhanced router will support IP connections for the TS3400 management console and for the TS3000 System Console (TSSC) attached to the TS1120 Tape Controller.
Purge Path Extended, a capability for System z, enhances the reporting and understanding of failing channel, fabric, or adapter interfaces when link errors occur. Purge Path Extended support on the TS1120 Tape Controller provides enhanced diagnostic reporting for errors on the Tape Controller's FICON links.
The IBM TotalStorage 3494 Enterprise Automated Tape Library has been enhanced to support Library Managed Encryption for open systems. Library Managed Encryption allows the user to set up and manage encryption policies by volume and drive through the library interface.
Power cords with agency certifications from CCC, BSMI, and IRAM are now available for the IBM 3952
Tape Frame Model F05 and the IBM 3953 Tape Frame Model F05. The customer supplies the
terminating plugs for these cords.
Back to top
The TS1120 Tape Controller (3592 Model C06) with the IBM TotalStorage Enterprise Tape Drive 3592 Model J1A or TS1120 Tape Drive (3592 Model E05) provides new levels of performance, cartridge capacity, and attachment capability for IBM System z customers. The TS1120 Tape Drive has significant potential capacity and performance benefits over the 3592 Model J1A Tape Drive, as well as other half-inch tape drives such as the IBM 3480, 3490, 3490E, or 3590.
The TS1120 Tape Drive with the TS1120 Tape Controller is designed for high-performance computing environments where high reliability, capacity, and performance are important. They should be considered by:
Current 3590 and 3592 Model J1A customers in TS3500, 3494, StorageTek ACS, or stand-alone
- Space allocated to tape cartridges needs to be reduced within automation solutions or offline storage.
- Backup windows are growing and there is a need for higher performance tape drives to backup larger amounts of data in less time.
Customers in other large-scale tape environments, including:
- High-speed data save operations where backup windows are critical, and large amounts of data are archived to tape.
- Large-scale automated tape installations where performance, capacity, and reliability are requirements.
- Large-scale mass data archive applications where massive amounts of data need to be quickly saved to tape for storage and later recall. (Examples include the seismic industry, data warehousing, and record management applications.)
Back to top
For more information:
- The IBM System Storage TS1120 Tape Drive Model E05, Hardware Announcement 105-413 , dated October 11, 2005.
- The IBM System Storage TS1120 Tape Controller 3592 Model C06 enhances performance and connectivity, Hardware Announcement 106-339 , dated May 9, 2006.
- The IBM System Storage TS1120 Tape Drive Models E05, 3592 J70 and C06, 3584 Encryption Features, Hardware Announcement 106-655 , dated August 29, 2006.
- The IBM System Storage TS3400 Tape Library offers high performance technology, Hardware Announcement 107-116 , dated February 13, 2007.
For IBM statement on compliance with European Union Directive on Restriction of the use of certain Hazardous Substances in Electrical and Electronic Equipment (2002/95/EC) (RoHS), visit
Business Partner information
If you are a Direct Reseller - System Reseller acquiring products from IBM, you may link directly to Business Partner information for this announcement. A PartnerWorld ID and password are required (use IBM ID).
Back to top
The following publications supporting the TS1120 Tape Controller are available by order number from
Order Title number IBM System Storage(TM) TS1120 Tape Drive GA32-0555 and Controller Introduction and Planning Guide IBM System Storage TS1120 Tape Drive GA32-0556 and Controller Operator Guide
The IBM System Storage TS1120 Tape Drive and Controller Operator Guide (GA32-0555) is shipped with the product. Additional copies will be available with the planned availability.
The IBM Publications Center Portal
The Publications Center is a worldwide central repository for IBM product
publications and marketing material with a catalog of 70,000 items.
Extensive search facilities are provided, as well as payment options via
credit card. Furthermore, a large number of publications are available
online in various file formats, which can currently be downloaded free of
Back to top
Global Technology Services
IBM services include business consulting, outsourcing, hosting services, applications, and other technology management.
These services help you learn about, plan, install, manage, or optimize your IT infrastructure to be an On Demand Business. They can help you integrate your high-speed networks, storage systems, application servers, wireless protocols, and an array of platforms, middleware, and communications software for IBM and many non-IBM offerings. IBM is your one-stop shop for IT support needs.
For details on available services, contact your IBM representative or visit
For details on available IBM Business Continuity and Recovery Services, contact your IBM representative or visit
For details on education offerings related to specific products, visit
Select your country, and then select the product as the category.
xSeries® and BladeCenter® support services
Recommended core technical support: When you buy IBM xSeries technology, include the support services you need to help keep both your hardware and software working for you, day after day, at peak performance. It's your first step toward helping to protect your investment and sustain high levels of system availability. We offer service-level and response-time options to fit your business needs. And we'll help you get started with a core support package that includes:
Continuous system monitoring
Exclusive electronic monitoring that helps speed up problem-solving with automated, early detection of potential problems and system errors.
World-class remote and on-site hardware problem determination and repair services.
Software technical support
Unlimited help line calls for fast, accurate answers to your questions during installation and throughout ongoing operations.
For more information, refer to
Back to top
Specified operating environment
The minimum machine code level required on the TS1120 Tape Controller (3592 Model C06) to support Purge Path Extended, and to support attaching a TS3400 Tape Library, is 1.21.3.xx, or later. Feature number 0520, Controller Microcode Update, may be used to order the most current level of machine code.
Controlling drives in a TS3400 Tape Library: To support attaching a TS3400 Tape Library and its drives to a TS1120 Tape Controller, the TS3400 Tape Library (3577 Model L5U) requires the minimum machine code level 0009.0007, or later. The customer is responsible for downloading and installing machine code updates to the TS3400 Library. Refer to the 3577 Sales Manual for more details. The machine code level described above is required for the TS1120 Tape Controller.
To control TS1120 Tape Drives in a TS3400 Tape Library, the TS1120 Tape Controller must be installed in a customer-supplied rack. The TS3400 supports one or two TS1120 Tape Drives and up to 18 3592 tape cartridges. A TS1120 Tape Controller may attach up to seven TS3400 Tape Libraries. Only tape drives installed in TS3400 Tape Libraries may be connected to a TS1120 Tape Controller that has installed feature number 9014, Attach TS3400 to CU.
TS1120 Tape Controller (3592 Model C06):
- Feature number 9014, Attach TS3400 to CU, is required.
- Feature number 4641, Install Controller in Rack, is required.
- Feature number 5247, Enhanced Router, is required to provide management interface connections to the TS3400 Library and to the TS3000 System Console (TSSC).
- Feature number 3478, Dual Ported Fibre Adapter, is required on the TS1120 Tape Controller for attachment of 3592 Tape Drives.
TS3400 Tape Library (3577 Model L5U):
- Feature number 9014, Attach TS3400 to CU, is required and will provide an Ethernet cable to connect the library to the Enhanced Router in the TS1120 Tape Controller configuration.
- Feature number 7004, TS3400 Rack Mount Kit, is required.
The TS1120 Tape Controller can attach TS1120 tape drives in TS3400 libraries directly, via a rack-mounted Fibre Channel Switch, or via a customer-supplied external Fibre Channel Switch.
Direct connect drives: Up to four 3592 Tape Drives may be connected directly to the TS1120
Controller without using a Fibre Channel Switch.
- Specify feature number 9493 Direct Connect Drives/Plant or feature number 3493 Direct Connect Drives/Field on the TS1120 Tape Controller.
- One feature number 3062 for each 3592 Tape Drive attaching to the TS1120 Tape Controller provides cables from the drive to the controller when they are installed in the same frame.
Rack-mounted Fibre Channel switch: Up to fourteen TS1120 Tape Drives may be connected to the TS1120
Controller using a rack-mounted Fibre Channel Switch.
- Install feature number 3494, Fibre Channel Switch Rack Mount Kit, on the TS1120 Tape Controller.
One of feature number 3488 or 4897 is required on the TS1120 Tape Controller:
- Feature number 3488, 4 Gb Fibre Channel Switch, provides a 4 Gb Fibre Channel Switch with 20 LC Shortwave ports for attachment to 3592 Tape Drives.
- Feature number 4897, Reinstall 4 Gb FC Switch, allows the customer to provide a 4 Gb Fibre Channel Switch, feature number 3488, that was removed from a 3592 Tape Controller or 3953 Model F05 and reinstall it for attachment to this TS1120 Tape Controller.
- Install feature number 3495, Redundant FC Rack Attach, and a second Fibre Channel Switch feature (#3488 or #4897) to provide redundant switch connections between the tape drives and the controller.
- A second 4 Gb switch feature may be ordered on the 3592 Model C06 to provide redundant FC paths between the tape drives and the controller. Feature number 3495, Redundant FC Rack Attach, is required to install the second switch.
- Feature number 3062, Drive to Switch Cables/Rack, should be ordered for each TS1120 Tape Drive to provide the cables from the tape drives to the Fibre Channel Switch when the TS3400 and tape drives are installed in the same rack with the TS1120 Tape Controller. If two switches are installed in the rack, two of feature number 3062 should be ordered for each tape drive in the rack. When a TS3400 and its tape drives are installed in a different rack than the TS1120 Tape Controller, the customer is responsible for providing the drive to switch FC cables.
External fabric connected drives: Up to fourteen TS1120 Tape Drives may be connected to the TS1120
Controller through an external Fibre Channel Fabric. The customer is responsible for providing the
cables from the 3592 Tape Controller to a customer-supplied Fibre Channel switch.
- Feature number 9492, External Fabric Support/Plant, or feature number 3492, External Fabric Support/Field, is required on the TS1120 Tape Controller when attaching 3592 Tape Drives with a customer-supplied external fabric.
Library Managed Encryption: The minimum machine code level required on the 3494 Library Manager (3494 Model Lxx) to support Open Systems Library Managed Encryption (OSLME) is 535.xx, or later. Feature number 0520, LM Firmware Update, may be used to order the most current level of LM and the associated 3592 Tape Drive machine code. Installation of the LM machine code can also update the drive's machine code on any open system attached 3592 Model J1A Tape Drive or TS1120 Tape Drive.
The minimum machine code level required on TS1120 Tape Drives to support OSLME is D3I1_xxx, or later. All 3592 Model J1A Tape Drives, sharing a common tape cartridge scratch pool with the TS1120 encryption-enabled Tape Drives, must be at minimum machine code level D3I0_xxx, or later. A significant outage window may be required to complete the machine code update if a large number of tape drives require updates.
Feature number 9900, Encryption Configuration, should be installed on the 3494 Library Manager when OSLME will be enabled. The customer is responsible for completing the procedures required to configure and enable OSLME. One of feature number 5046, 5047, 9046, or 9047 is required to provide a compatible LM PC. TS1120 Tape Drives with feature number 5592 or 9592, Encryption Capable, must be installed in 3494 Tape Library and connected to the open system servers that will utilize OSLME. Refer to the 3494 Model Lxx Sales Manual and the 3592 Model E05 Sales Manual for additional information on encryption requirements.
Library Manager performance enhancement: An enhanced processor card may be added to existing Library Manager PCs in 3953 Tape Frames and 3494 Tape Libraries.
For 3953 Library Managers:
- Feature number 9048 is required on all 3953 Library Manager Model L05 units shipped on August 31, 2007, or later.
- Feature number 5048 may be added to an existing 3953 Library Manager Model L05 to provide the field installation of the enhanced processor card.
- If two 3953 Library Manager Model L05 units are installed in the same 3953 Tape Frame Model F05, and one Model L05 has feature number 5048 or 9048 installed, the second Library Manager must have feature number 5048 or 9048.
For 3494 Library Managers:
- Feature number 5048 may be added to an existing 3494 Model Lxx or Model HA1 Library Manager to provide the field installation of the enhanced processor card.
- One of feature number 5046, 5047, 9046, or 9047 is required when feature 5048 is added.
- If a 3494 Model HA1 is installed in the 3494 Tape Library, and feature number 5048 is installed on one of the Library Managers, the other Library Manager also requires feature number 5048.
Software support for the 3592 Model E05 Tape Drives, attached through the TS1120 Tape Controller Model C06, is available on System z servers through ESCON® or FICON channels. Refer to the 3592 PSP bucket for the latest information on Software Maintenance for the 3592 drives and for tape encryption. Attachment of the 3592 drives in the TS3400 Tape Library does not require any additional Software Maintenance. Refer to the Software Maintenance that is required for the 3592 drives.
z/OS®: Software support for the base 3592 Model E05 is available on z/OS V1R6, or later, with the appropriate PTFs. For the base 3592 Model E05 support, refer to enabling APAR OA13110. For the encryption enabled 3592 Model E05, refer to enabling APARs OA15685 and OA17562. Support for the 3592 Model E05 was also provided at earlier release levels; however, those release levels are no longer in service. Refer to z/OS DFSMS Software Support for IBM TotalStorage® Enterprise Tape System 3592 (SC26-7514-03), for additional information on the software support for the 3592 family of drives.
z/VSE®: Software support for the TS1120 Tape Drive (3592 Model E05) is available on z/VSE V3.1.2, or later, with appropriate PTFs. z/VSE V3.1.2, or later will support the TS3400 Tape Library as an autoloader operating in auto mode using the IBM System Storage TS1120 Tape Controller.
z/VM®: Support for the TS1120 Tape Drive (3592 Model E05) is provided on z/VM V5.1.0, or later with CP APAR VM63812 and its prerequisite service. In addition, tape library support for these drives is provided by DFSMS/VM® FL221 with RMS APAR VM63811 and its prerequisite service. Attachment of 3592 drives to the TS1120 Tape Controller Model C06 does not require any additional Software Maintenance. z/VM V5.2.0, or later will support the TS3400 Tape Library as an autoloader operating in auto mode using the IBM System Storage TS1120 Tape Controller.
z/TPF: Software support for the 3592 Model E05 is available on z/TPF V1.1, or later, with the appropriate support PTFs. Support for the TS3400 Tape Library as an autoloader operating in auto mode using the IBM System Storage TS1120 Tape Controller is also available on z/TPF V1.1, or later, with the appropriate support PTFs.
Linux on System z: Software support is available with the following Linux distributions and above:
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 (SLES 9)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4
Tivoli® Storage Manager and other compatible software offerings provide storage and tape management software for the 3592. Supporting software and applications must be obtained separately from IBM, IBM Business Partners, or independent software vendors (ISVs). For a list of compatible software and additional information, refer to the 3592 ISV Matrix at the following Web site
Limitations: Only tape drives installed in TS3400 Tape Libraries may be connected to a TS1120 Tape Controller with installed feature number 9014, Attach TS3400 to CU.
Customer responsibilities: Physical planning is a customer responsibility. Detailed physical planning information for the TS1120 Tape Controller is in the IBM System Storage TS1120 Tape Drive and Controller Introduction and Planning Guide (GA32-0555).
You are responsible for downloading or obtaining from IBM, and installing designated machine code (microcode, basic input/output system code (called BIOS), utility programs, device drivers, and diagnostics delivered with an IBM machine) and other software updates in a timely manner from an IBM Internet Web site or from other electronic media, and following the instructions that IBM provides. You may request IBM to install machine code changes; however, you may be charged for that service.
Cable orders: ESCON and FICON cables for host attachment to those interfaces are available with features on the TS1120 Tape Controller.
A fiber optic cable is required for attaching a 3592 Tape Drive in a TS3400 Tape Library to a TS1120 Tape Controller. The cable can be customer supplied, or ordered with features on the TS1120 Tape Controller or 3592 Tape Drive Model E05. The attaching fiber cable must be 50.0/125 micrometers for distances up to 150 meters at 4-Gbps.
Refer to the Fibre Channel cable information in the TS1120 Tape Controller Model C06 and TS1120 Tape Drive Model E05 Sales Manuals.
Direct customer support: Eligible customers can obtain installation and usage assistance through ASK Support using the search word TS1120 or 3592.
Security, auditability, and control
This product uses the security and auditability features of host hardware, host software, and/or application software to which it is attached.
The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security features,
administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and communications
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
MES discount applicable: Equal to the volume commitment discount
Field installable feature: Yes
Warranty period: One year. This feature assumes the same warranty or maintenance terms as the machine in which it is installed for the full warranty or maintenance period announced for such machine.
Customer setup: No
Same license terms and conditions as base machine.
Back to top
The prices provided in this announcement are suggested retail prices for the U.S. only and are provided for your information only. Dealer prices may vary, and prices may also vary by country. Prices are subject to change without notice. For additional information and current prices, contact your local IBM representative.
Machine Feature Purchase Description type Model number price** Unterminated Power Cord 3952 F05 9959 $ 0 China Unterminated Power Cord 3952 F05 9966 0 Unterminated Power Cord 3953 F05 9959 0 China Unterminated Power Cord 3953 F05 9966 0 Library Manager Performance 3953 L05 5048 5,000 Enhancement Field Library Manager Performance 3953 L05 9048 NC Enhancement Plant Library Manager Performance 3494 L10, 5048 5,000 Enhancement - Field L12, L14, L22 Encryption Configuration 3494 L10, 9900 0 L12, L14, L22 Library Manager Performance 3494 HA1 5048 5,000 Enhancement Field Enhanced Router 3592 C06 5247 3,000 Attach TS3400 to CU 3592 C06 9014 0 Attach TS3400 to CU 3577 L5U 9014 0
Minimum Field Plant annual Machine Feature install install MES maintenance type Model number only only removal charge 3952 F05 9959 N N Y NC 3952 F05 9966 N N Y NC 3953 F05 9959 N N Y NC 3953 F05 9966 N N Y NC 3953 L05 5048 Y N N NC 3953 L05 9048 N Y N NC 3494 L10 5048 Y N N NC 3494 L12 5048 Y N N NC 3494 L14 5048 Y N N NC 3494 L22 5048 Y N N NC 3494 L10 9900 Y N N NC 3494 L12 9900 Y N N NC 3494 L14 9900 Y N N NC 3494 L22 9900 Y N N NC 3494 HA1 5048 N N N NC 3592 C06 5247 N N Y $38 3592 C06 9014 N N Y NC 3577 L5U 9014 N N Y NC ** If field installed on a purchased machine, parts removed or replaced become the property of IBM and must be returned.
Back to top
To order, contact the Americas Call Centers, your local IBM representative, or your IBM Business Partner.
To identify your local IBM representative or IBM Business Partner, call 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968).
Phone: 800-IBM-CALL (426-2255) Fax: 800-2IBM-FAX (242-6329) Internet: firstname.lastname@example.org Mail: IBM Americas Call Centers Dept. Teleweb Customer Support, 9th floor 105 Moatfield Drive North York, Ontario Canada M3B 3R1 Reference: YE001
The Americas Call Centers, our national direct marketing organization, can add your name to the mailing list for catalogs of IBM products.
Note: Shipments will begin after the planned availability date.
Back to top