IBM BladeCenter H Chassis delivers high performance, extreme reliability, and ultimate flexibility to even the most demanding IT environmentsAsia Pacific Hardware Announcement AG06-0161
February 9, 2006
(Corrected on May 8, 2006)
|At a glance|
IBM BladeCenter H delivers high performance, extreme reliability, and ultimate flexibility to even the most demanding IT environments.
BladeCenter H features:
- One pair of 2,900-watt power modules. An additional power module option is available (contains two 2,900 W power supplies).
- Two hot-swap blowers standard.
- One Advanced Management Module. A second module is available as an option.
- Ability to integrate storage and Ethernet networking into chassis.
- Support for both current and future IBM blade servers for investment protection.
- Brand new serial port breakout connector to give direct serial connection to installed blades (for those blades with the functionality).
- IBM DVD, two USB inputs, and light path Diagnostic Panel.
The blades servers supported by this new BladeCenter Chassis are:
- BladeCenter HS20, BladeCenter HS40
- AMD Opteron LS20 for IBM BladeCenter
- BladeCenter JS20, BladeCenter JS21
These blades feature:
- Xeon DP, Xeon MP, PowerPC®, and Opteron capable models
Back to top
BladeCenter® H Chassis A rock-solid foundation for today's on demand business
- The rack-optimized, 9 U modular design enclosure holds up to 14 blade servers.
- A high-availability, redundant midplane supports all current and future IBM blades.
The chassis includes:
- Two 2,900-watt, hot-swap, redundant power modules and support for two additional (optional) 2,900-watt, hot-swap, redundant power modules
- Two hot-swap, redundant blowers and 6 or 12 supplemental fans
- The brand new Advanced Management Module (aMM) gives you control over the solutions at the chassis level simplifying installation and management of everything in your installation.
- The chassis supports up to four traditional fabrics using networking switches, storage switches, or pass though devices. The chassis also supports up to four new high-speed fabrics for future support of protocols like 4X Infiniband or 10 Gb Ethernet. The built-in media tray is customer serviceable and includes light path diagnostics, front USB inputs, and a DVD drive.
- IBM Director and Remote Deployment Manager makes it easy to install and manage.
BladeCenter Advanced Management Module
The new Advanced Management Module (aMM) increases the functionality and performance seen when remotely accessing the solution:
- Better video performance and faster refreshes
- More complete LDAP integration
- Much better granularity of access and permissioning
- Faster USB response via USB 2.0 protocol for blade servers that have the functionality
- Concurrent media access (local and remote) for blade servers that have the functionality
- Shared management resources in the chassis
- Multiple remote KVM sessions for blade servers that have the functionality
- Improved serviceability
- Backward compatibility with existing switch modules and blade servers
IBM services and support
- ServerProven® compatibility testing and Web support
- Three-year, on-site1, limited warranty2
Back to top
- A supported blade server HS20, HS40, LS20, JS20, or the new JS21
- 200 to 240 V ac power source
- Monitor, USB keyboard, and USB mouse
- Ethernet switch module and rack
|Planned availability date|
March 7, 2006
Back to top
AP distribution: To all Asia Pacific countries for release. CTRY/Region ANNOUNCED ASEAN * Yes AUSTRALIA Yes HONG KONG Yes PRC Yes TAIWAN Yes KOREA Yes JAPAN Yes NEW ZEALAND Yes * Bangladesh, Brunei, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam
Back to top
- BladeCenter Advanced Management Module 25R5778
- BladeCenter H Double 30A NEMA L6-30P (208V) 4.3M 25R5783
- BladeCenter H Dual 32A IEC 309 P+N+G/16A IEC 320-C20 (230 V) 4.3 M 25R5784
- BladeCenter H Triple 16A IEC 320-C20 (200-240V) 2.8M 25R5785
- BladeCenter H Serial Port Breakout Cable 40K9605
- BladeCenter H Double 30A KSC 8305 (S. Korea) (220 V) 4.3 M 25R5811
- BladeCenter H Dual 32A AS/NZS 3112/16A IEC 320-C20 (AUS/NZ) (230 V) 4.3 M 25R5812
- BladeCenter H 2900 W AC Power Module Pair with Fan Packs 31R3335
Back to top
In just 9 U of rack space, the BladeCenter H Chassis can contain up to 14 blade servers, 10 switch
modules, and four power supplies to provide the necessary I/O network switching, power, cooling, and
control panel information to support the individual servers.
Back to top
Note: These models are GAV.
Machine Order Description type Model number IBM BladeCenter H Chassis 8852 4XA 88524XA 8852 4XB 88524XB 8852 4XK 88524XK 8852 4XM 88524XM 8852 4XR 88524XR 8852 4XV 88524XV
Note: These models are MTM.
IBM BladeCenter H Chassis 8852 4XC 88524XC 8852 4XD 88524XD 8852 4XE 88524XE 8852 4XJ 88524XJ 8852 4XN 88524XN 8852 4XQ 88524XQ
Note: xxA = ASEAN Hong Kong, Taiwan, Brunei, Thailand, Philippines, Mynmar, Singapore, Malaysia xxB = Hong Kong xxM = ANZ xxC = China xxN = China xxD = China xxQ = India,Nepal, Sri Lanka xxE = Japan xxR = Korea xxJ = Japan xxV = Taiwan xxK = Korea
Part Description number BladeCenter Advanced Management Module 25R5778 BladeCenter H Double 30A NEMA L6-30P 25R5783 (208V) 4.3M BladeCenter H Dual 32A IEC 309 P+N+G/16A 25R5784 IEC 320-C20 (230V) 4.3 M BladeCenter H Triple 16A IEC 320-C20 25R5785 (200-240V) 2.8M BladeCenter H Serial Port Breakout Cable 40K9605 BladeCenter H Double 30A KSC 8305 25R5811 (S. Korea) (220V) 4.3 M BladeCenter H Dual 32A AS/NZS 3112/16A 25R5812 IEC 320-C20 (AUS/NZ) (230V) 4.3 M BladeCenter H 2900W AC Power Module Pair 31R3335 with Fan Packs
IBM sends a technician after attempting to diagnose and resolve the problem remotely.
Note: The information in IBM announcement letters is subject to change without notice, consult the IBM Sales Manual, or your IBM marketing representative or reseller, for the most current information regarding IBM products.
Back to top
An installation and user's guide, and safety and warranty publications are shipped with each BladeCenter® H Chassis.
The following publications are available immediately.
Order Title number BladeCenter Solutions GM13-0173 xSeries(R) Family Brochure GM13-0128
The BladeCenter H Chassis Installation and User's Guides and Hardware Maintenance Manuals , in U.S. English versions, are available from our Web site
The new BladeCenter H Chassis Installation and User's Guides .
Displayable softcopy publications
Publications are offered in displayable softcopy form.
These displayable manuals can be used with the BookManager® READ licensed programs in any of the
supported environments. Terms and conditions for use of the machine-readable files are shipped with
Back to top
IBM Integrated Technology Services
IBM services include business consulting, outsourcing, hosting services, applications, and other technology management.
These services help you learn about, plan, install, manage, or optimize your IT infrastructure to be an On Demand Business. They can help you integrate your high-speed networks, storage systems, application servers, wireless protocols, and an array of platforms, middleware, and communications software for IBM and many non-IBM offerings. IBM is your one-stop shop for IT support needs.
For details on available services, contact your IBM representative or visit
For details on available IBM Business Continuity and Recovery Services, contact your IBM representative or visit
For details on education offerings related to specific products, visit
Select your country, and then select the product as the category.
Back to top
Specified operating environment
BladeCenter H Chassis
- 200-208 (nominal) V ac; 50 Hz or 60 Hz; 40 A
- 220-240 (nominal) V ac; 50 Hz or 60Hz; 37 A
Input kilovolt-amperes (kVA) (approximately):
- Minimum configuration: 0.5 kVA
- Maximum configuration: 8.0 kVA
- Minimum configuration 1705 Btu/hr (500 VA)
- Maximum configuration 27280 Btu/hr (8000 VA)
- Acoustical: Declared sound power level 7.5 bels
Standards: This system supports or complies with the following standards:
- Hardware-enabled to meet the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 9241, Part 3
Equipment approvals and safety
- Japan VCCI, Class A
- Australia/New Zealand AS/NZS CISPR 22:2002, Class A
- IEC-60950-1 (CB Certificate and CB Test Report)
- China CCEE (GB4943-1995)
- Taiwan BSMI CNS13438, Class A
- 10.0° to 35.0°C (50° to 95°F) at 0 to 914 m (0 to 3,000 ft)
- 10.0° to 32.0°C (50° to 90°F) at 914 to 2,133 m (3,000 to 7,000 ft)
- Relative humidity: 8% to 80%
- Maximum altitude: 2,133 m (7,000 ft)
Compatibility: The BladeCenter H 8852-4Xx supports:
- Blades HS20
- Blades JS20
- Blades JS21
- Blades LS20
- Blades HS40
- BSE-1, BSE-2
- PEU-1, PEU-2
For detailed information about IBM and non-IBM devices, adapters, software, and network operating systems supported with xSeries servers, visit
Contact your IBM representative or IBM Business Partner, or refer to the IBM Sales Manual for information on the compatibility of hardware and software for xSeries servers. The Sales Manual is updated periodically as new features and options are announced that support these servers.
Limitations: This BladeCenter H Chassis requires 200 to 240 V ac power.
Customer responsibilities: This product is designated as customer setup. Customer setup instructions are shipped with the product.
BladeCenter H Chassis configuration: A control panel located on the right side of the unit contains the following status LEDs:
- Power good
- Chassis location
- Over temperature
- General fault
Two USB ports are located at the bottom right of the control panel, and a DVD-ROM drive is included. An optional USB-attached 1.44 MB diskette drive is available.
Four power modules are front loading for serviceability.
The rear housing contains:
- Two hot-swap, redundant blower assemblies in the center, mounted one on top of the other
- Ten I/O module bays
- One standard management module for KVM/Management and one additional management module bay
Rack installations: The BladeCenter H Chassis 9 U rack-drawer enclosure is designed to be installed in a 19-inch rack cabinet designed for 28-inch deep devices, such as the NetBAY42 ER, IBM S2 42U SR, IBM S2 25U SR, or NetBAY11.
If you choose not to use an IBM rack:
- The rack must meet EIA-310-D standards for mounting flanges and hole locations.
- The front to rear distance of the mounting flanges must be between 698.5 mm and 762 mm (27.5 and 30 inches).
- The thickness of the mounting flanges must be between 1.9 mm and 3 mm.
- The mounting flanges must have either 7.1-mm (.28-in) diameter holes or 9.6-mm (.38-in) square holes on the standard EIA hole spacing.
- The rack must have a minimum depth of 70 mm (2.76 in) between the front mounting flange and inside of the front door for appropriate cooling.
- The rack must have a minimum depth of 157 mm (6.2 in) between the rear mounting flange and inside of the rear door to install the server and make space for cable management.
- The minimum side-to-side clearance in the rack between the front and rear mounting flanges must be 467 mm (18.2 in) to accommodate the width of the server and the slide mounting brackets.
- The minimum side-to-side clearance in the rack between each door and the mounting flanges must be 484 mm (19.1 in.) to accommodate the slide mounting brackets.
- The rack must not prevent the flow of cool air into the front of the rack and hot air out of the rear of the rack (front and rear doors, if present, must be perforated).
- It is recommended that any side and top panels be used to try and prevent any unnecessary recirculation within the rack. In addition, it is also strongly recommended that any adjoining racks be sealed between them, also to prevent recirculation. Any openings between, above, or below the rack equipment, can cause significant increase in inlet temperature (and hence increase fan and blower speeds undesirably) from this recirculation, so it should be avoided if at all possible.
- All empty EIA space in the rack must be closed off with filler panels to prevent the recirculation of air within the rack.
- The weight-handling capacity of the rack must be able to support the maximum rack configuration, including all servers, external cables, and PDUs.
- The rack must provide proper stabilization so that the rack does not become unstable when servers are pulled out for service.
Power considerations: BladeCenter H Chassis comes with one pair of 2,900-watt 200 to 240 V ac power modules. These standard power modules support blade server bays one through seven with power redundancy.
Cable orders: Each BladeCenter H Chassis contains one or two management modules with Ethernet connections. The RJ-45 connectors provides a 10/100 Base-T interface (at either half or full duplex) for connecting twisted-pair cable to an Ethernet network. Cabling is not included with the BladeCenter. To connect the management modules to a repeater or switch, use an unshielded twisted pair (UTP) cable with RJ-45 connectors at both ends. For 100 Mbps operation, Category 5 cabling must be used. For 10 Mbps operation, Category 3, or better, cabling must be used.
Each BladeCenter H Chassis can contain several switch modules which have cabling requirements of their own, none of which is included with the BladeCenter.
Installability: The BladeCenter H Chassis requires approximately 30 minutes for installation. Installation includes unpacking, setting up, and powering on the system. Additional time is required to install an operating system, additional options, or features.
BladeCenter H Chassis
Product Package description Boxes BladeCenter System Unit Carton 1 Contents: BladeCenter Unit 1 Publications/CD Package 1 Rack kit: 1 Rails BladeCenter Publications/CD Package 1 Contents: Installation Guide Safety, Contents, and About Your Documentation Flyers ServerGuide(TM) Coupon Documentation CD-ROM Installation Template
BladeCenter 2,900-Watt Power Supply Module pair
- One power supply module pair (two power supplies)
- Redundant Management Module (one management module)
- Serial port breakout cable (one serial port breakout cable)
- Triple IEC 320 C20 power cord
- Dual NEMA L6-30P power cord
- IEC 309 32A/IEC 320 C20 power cord
- Korean power cord
- Australia/New Zealand power cord
Supplies: IBM BladeCenter power option can be purchased through dealers.
Security, auditability, and control
Security and auditability features include:
- A logon password provides control of who has access to the management module (and hence management access to any switch modules and blade servers installed in the chassis).
Limitations: The BladeCenter H Chassis has no security intrusion detection; therefore, it should be installed in a rack environment that provides security through lockable doors or other security measures. It is a customer's responsibility to ensure that the chassis is secure.
The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security features,
administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and communications
Back to top
|IBM Electronic Services|
IBM Global Services has transformed its delivery of hardware and software support services to put you on the road to higher systems availability. IBM Electronic Services is a Web-enabled solution that provides you with an exclusive, no-additional-charge enhancement to the service and support on the IBM . You should benefit from greater system availability due to faster problem resolution and preemptive monitoring. IBM Electronic Services is comprised of two separate, but complementary, elements: IBM Electronic Services news page and IBM Electronic Service Agent.
IBM Electronic Services news page provides you with a single Internet entry point that replaces the multiple entry points traditionally used by customers to access IBM Internet services and support. The news page enables you to gain easier access to IBM resources for assistance in resolving technical problems.
The IBM Electronic Service Agent is no-additional-charge software that resides on your IBM system. It is designed to proactively monitor events and transmit system inventory information to IBM on a periodic, customer-defined timetable. The IBM Electronic Service Agent tracks system inventory, hardware error logs, and performance information. If the server is under a current IBM maintenance service agreement or within the IBM warranty period, the Service Agent automatically reports hardware problems to IBM. Early knowledge about potential problems enables IBM to provide proactive service that maintains higher system availability and performance. In addition, information collected through the Service Agent will be made available to IBM service support representatives when they are helping answer your questions or diagnosing problems.
To learn how IBM Electronic Services can work for you, visit
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
- System hardware Three years
- Optional features One year
Optional IBM features initially installed in an IBM system carry the same warranty and warranty service support category as the system. If installed after the initial system installation, they carry the balance of the system warranty or the optional feature warranty, whichever is greater.
If required, IBM provides repair or exchange service depending on the type of warranty service specified below for the machine. IBM will attempt to resolve your problem over the telephone or electronically by access to an IBM Web site. You must follow the problem determination and resolution procedures that IBM specifies. Scheduling of service will depend upon the time of your call and is subject to parts availability. Service levels are response time objectives and are not guaranteed. The specified level of warranty service may not be available in all worldwide locations. Additional charges may apply outside IBM's normal service area. Contact your local IBM representative or your reseller for country- and location-specific information.
Customer Replaceable Unit ("CRU") (for example, keyboard, mouse, speaker, memory, hard disk drive) Service and On-site Service for other selected parts.
Customer Replaceable Unit (CRU) Service: IBM provides replacement CRUs to you for you to install. CRU information and replacement instructions are shipped with your machine and are available from IBM at any time on your request. CRUs are designated as being either a Tier 1 or a Tier 2 CRU. Installation of Tier 1 CRUs is your responsibility. If IBM installs a Tier 1 CRU, at your request, you will be charged for the installation. You may install a Tier 2 CRU yourself or request IBM to install it, at no additional charge, under the type of warranty service specified below, On-site Service.
Based upon availability, CRUs will be shipped for next business day delivery. IBM specifies in the materials shipped with a replacement CRU whether a defective CRU must be returned to IBM. When return is required, (1) return instructions and a container are shipped with the replacement CRU, and (2) you may be charged for the replacement CRU if IBM does not receive the defective CRU within 30 days of your receipt of the replacement.
The following parts have been designated as Tier 1 CRUs:
- System Service Label
- Rack Kit
- CD-RW Combo
- Tray, Media
- Rear Panel, Card/Cable Asm
- Management Module
- Fan Pack
- Power Supply
- Line Cord
- Cable, Serial Port Breakout
On-site Service: IBM On-site Repair (IOR), 9 hours per day, Monday through Friday excluding holidays, next business day response. IBM will repair the failing machine at your location and verify its operation. You must provide a suitable working area to allow disassembly and reassembly of the IBM machine. The area must be clean, well lit, and suitable for the purpose. On-site Service is not available in all countries, and some countries have kilometer or mileage limitations from an IBM service center. In those locations where On-site Service is not available, the normal in-county service delivery is used.
International Warranty Service (IWS): International Warranty Service is available during the warranty period to customers who travel or relocate to countries where their computer is sold and serviced by IBM or IBM resellers authorized to perform warranty service. Eligible IBM computers are identified by their four-digit machine type.
You can obtain IWS through the method of service, such as CRU, depot, carry-in, or on-site, provided in the servicing country. Service methods and procedures vary by country, and some service or parts may not be available in all countries. Service centers in certain countries may not be able to service all models of a particular machine type. In addition, some countries may have fees and restrictions that apply at the time of service.
To determine the eligibility of your computer and to view a list of countries where service is available, visit
For more information on IWS, refer to Services Announcement AA01-3100 , dated September 28, 2001.
Note: Due to the Earth's magnetic field, cathode ray tube (CRT) monitors are manufactured to work in northern, southern, and equatorial regions of the earth and may not produce a satisfactory image when moved between them. Any required adjustment (if possible) is not covered under IWS and may be subject to a chargeable action. The magnetic field does not affect flat panel LCD monitors.
Licensing: Programs included with this product are licensed under the terms and conditions of the License Agreements that are shipped with the system.
Field-installable features: Yes
Model conversions: No
Machine installation: Customer setup. Customers are responsible for installation according to the instructions IBM provides with the machine.
Graduated program license charges apply: No. This product does not contain Licensed Internal Code or Licensed Machine Code.
Back to top
Prices are subject to change without notice. For additional information and current prices, contact your local IBM representative.
For all local charges contact your IBM representative.
IBM Global Financing: IBM Global Financing offers competitive financing to credit-qualified customers to assist them in acquiring IT solutions. Our offerings include financing for IT acquisition, including hardware, software, and services, from both IBM and other manufacturers or vendors. Offerings (for all customer segments: small, medium, and large enterprise), rates, terms, and availability can vary by country. Contact your local IBM Global Financing organization or visit the Web at
IBM Global Financing offerings are provided through IBM Credit LLC in the United States and other IBM subsidiaries and divisions worldwide to qualified commercial and government customers. Rates are based on a customer's credit rating, financing terms, offering type, equipment type, and options, and may vary by country. Other restrictions may apply. Rates and offerings are subject to change, extension, or withdrawal without notice. Financing solutions from IBM Global Financing can help you stretch your budget and affordably acquire the new product. But beyond the initial acquisition, our end-to-end approach to IT management can also help keep your technologies current, reduce costs, minimize risk, and preserve your ability to make flexible equipment decisions throughout the entire technology life cycle. For more financing information, visit
Back to top