IBM Blueworks Live helps improve the way you workIBM United States Software Announcement 210-358
October 5, 2010
|Table of contents|
|At a glance|
IBM® Blueworks Live delivers:
- The ease that comes with using a cloud-based, on-demand software-as-a-service (SaaS) offering
- The tools that enable business users to discover and document processes simply, with no extensive training required
- An alternative to email as a way to configure and run simple processes
- The ability to share process information throughout the user community, so that all users can contribute to process improvements
- A single, shared process repository that is continually updated
- The ability to document even complex business processes
- Support for industry standards that allows you to leverage your business models to jumpstart your BPM solutions
- A library of predefined templates to accelerate new process-design efforts
Back to top
Better than email for your simple processes
All your work is in one place -- Email chains can get confusing, and work can get lost. IBM Blueworks Live (Blueworks Live) helps companies easily manage and automate work that is run today through email.
All your work is visible -- Blueworks Live gives you the visibility to take control of process execution that you do not have with email. As a manager, you will be able to see who is working each task, and where they are in the process, and also have the ability to re-assign work to make sure deadlines are met. You can easily see what work is coming your way, search for work that you have already done, and gain insight into where all the tasks that involve you are in the process.
The destination to do your job -- Blueworks Live provides a safe and secure private community accessible from any web browser with no software to install or maintain. Blueworks Live is where all your tasks and processes can be stored. With Blueworks Live anyone in your organization can work on the same process in real time from anywhere in the world. You will be able to document processes, as well as build, run, and participate in process applications quickly and easily.
Process made easy -- Blueworks Live brings a simple method to process documentation and discovery. Blueworks Live is designed with everyone in your organization in mind; it is easy for novices to build simple process applications, yet rich enough for experts to model and analyze even the most complex processes. Building a process application in Blueworks Live is easier than using a presentation tool or creating a list in a word processor.
Take your people to the next level
The new process social -- Social networking meets BPM in Blueworks Live. Built-in communication features, such as instant messaging, live news feeds, and the ability to leave comments, enable you to immediately react to process changes that affect your projects. In addition, you will be able to leverage the Blueworks Live expert community of process and industry knowledge, allowing you to generate great ideas and buy-in for your own BPM program.
Understand your complex processes -- Blueworks Live makes it easy to develop complete process applications for your simple processes - but it can also help you make sense of even the most complex ones. For example, the analysis capabilities of Blueworks Live can give you insight into how your process is performing and what systems are impacted. Because you are now collaborating with your team in a secure private 'community', you will be able to break down the process silos to achieve alignment and consensus across your organization. When you are ready to deploy these complex processes, the Blueworks Live process model can be deployed to the WebSphere® BPM suite.
Back to top
Supported environments include:
- Microsoft® Windows®
- Mac OS X
Back to top
|Planned availability date|
November 20, 2010: U.S. English
Back to top
The Blueworks Live platform is accessible from any web browser. It is designed to be easy to use and collaborative so that a wide range of stakeholders can work together synchronously or asynchronously to map, refine, and run processes on demand. Blueworks Live helps business users benefit from better control and visibility into key processes, while IT gains the ability provide process improvement tools and technology to all parts of their organization by leveraging the cloud-based platform.
Blueworks Live allows you to:
- Ease adoption through use of a cloud-based, on-demand software-as-a-service (SaaS) offering -- There are no plug-ins or software to install. You can get started today with a free 30-day trial.
- Discover and document processes simply, with no extensive training required -- Business processes can be outlined or brainstormed in a Microsoft Office-like interface.
- A high-level process map, a Business Process Modeling Notation (BPMN) workflow diagram, and processes and procedures documentation are automatically generated and synchronized. No drawing is necessary.
- Process diagrams are automatically laid out. Additions and changes to the diagrams are made instantly without the need to rewire or reconnect lines.
- Diagrams are always compliant with industry-standard BPMN.
- Templates are available for structured, consistent documentation of virtually all processes in an organization.
- Processes are viewed on a shared whiteboard. Two or more users can work on the same process at the same time; all changes are shown instantly to all users.
- Configure and run simple processes in Blueworks Live instead of email -- It is easy to select and configure an existing process template, such as an approval or a checklist, from the library.
- Allow all users to participate in the process by sharing information in the community -- Users post messages, engage in discussions, and make blog posts in private account-level communities. Interactive feeds keep users informed of the latest process activity and allow users to add comments. Follow the latest and most relevant process trends with a curated feed of public process information. An unlimited number of free users can view and share information in the private community.
- Access a single, shared process repository that is continually updated -- A common knowledge repository includes virtually all processes inside an organization. Processes are continually updated with no need to manage different versions of files on shared drives or in emails. Users can link to and reuse other Blueworks Live processes, as well as external assets and documents. Built-in Google-like search capabilities extend across all Blueworks Live process projects.
- Support industry standards and leverage your business models to jumpstart BPM solutions -- Create and analyze complex business processes using the Business Process Management Notation (BPMN).
- Take advantage of native integration with WebSphere Lombardi Edition -- Blueworks Live processes can be downloaded for implementation immediately with no translation or changes. Blueworks Live supports:
- Native export to WebSphere Business Modeler, for more detailed modeling, or implementation using components of WebSphere Dynamic Process Edition or FileNet® Business Process Manager.
- BPMN 2.0 and XPDL 2.1 exports for connection to other BPM systems and analysis tools.
- Use a template library to accelerate new process design efforts -- The library contains template process maps that are based on industry-best practices, and can be used to jumpstart new process design efforts or new process applications.
Accessibility by people with disabilities
A U.S. Section 508 Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) containing details on accessibility compliance can be requested at
Back to top
Every company functions based on a set of processes. These processes allow a company to repeat a service or offering with enough efficiency to make money. While every company uses processes, not every company has a high level of visibility into their processes. For example, companies often have to check with individuals every time they need an update on the status of a process, and some companies have only vague notions of what their processes are, how long they take to complete, and how to improve them. In addition, the majority of employees do not think about their jobs as processes, and they certainly don't think about BPM.
Every day, more and more companies are kicking off process improvement projects. When a process improvement project is successful, the business value delivered can be very significant, resulting in less effort, lower costs, lower risks, increased productivity, higher agility, and a more competitive position in your industry.
For a process improvement project to be successful, it is imperative that all users involved in the process are aligned on the fundamentals, and able to collaborate in a tool that accurately reflects the company process.
Today companies have a variety of resources available to deal with process problems. They can visit web-based community sites to read blogs and articles, but often these provide only generic guidance, as companies will not share anything that gives them a competitive advantage. They can use collaboration software to create and assign simple tasks, but there is little tracking and visibility into the state of these processes. They can use traditional or cloud-based offerings to document and diagram processes, but this process documentation is often not shared broadly in the organization. They can purchase a BPM solution to model and execute processes, but these teams have the capacity to implement only a few processes with the largest impact to the business. They can create and deliver process education, but don't have a good way to track education history or the overall skill level of the organization.
Blueworks Live allows all users to automate simple processes, enables subject matter experts and analysts to document their processes, and provides all users with visibility and the tools to communicate about process work. There are many document-based collaboration tools in the market. Blueworks Live is the first product to engage all users in a process-focused collaborative environment.
Blueworks Live provides an easy-to-use environment for the rapid discovery, definition, and documentation of business processes. Its graphical design and visualization tools are specifically designed to make it easy for all process owners and business users to engage directly in the analysis and improvement of their business processes. As a cloud-based offering, it allows new contributors to the team to be added on demand and immediately, with no extensive training. Blueworks Live provides the single, shared repository where anyone can find the 'single version of truth' about any process work. In this way, Blueworks Live helps facilitate successful process improvement projects by enabling everyone on the project improvement team to get aligned on process goals, problems, and areas for improvement. When your BPM team is ready to inventory, discover, and analyze the details of their own processes, Blueworks Live can be used as the 'system of record' for storing and sharing the detailed information for all of your processes. As processes and improvement opportunities change over time, the details can be documented in Blueworks Live so that there is a single spot where all users can go to access the latest up-to-date information.
Blueworks Live directly integrates with other offerings in the IBM BPM Suite, such as WebSphere Lombardi Edition, for implementation, execution, and optimization of business processes. Blueworks Live also exports process models to WebSphere Business Modeler, for further modeling or analysis, or for implementation with components of WebSphere Dynamic Process Edition or FileNet Business Process Manager.
Back to top
For information on WebSphere Lombardi Edition, refer to Software Announcement 210-318, dated October 05, 2010.
Back to top
Program name Program number IBM Blueworks Live 5725-A20
Back to top
IBM offers a full range of education support offerings for Blueworks Live.
Get started quickly
Blueworks Live features a getting started guide, forums, expert advice, and a wide range of video tutorials to help you get started quickly. For more information, visit
Go in depth
New to the WebSphere Education curriculum is WebSphere Lombardi Edition BPM training. WebSphere Lombardi Edition BPM courses complement Blueworks Live and combine the ideal mix of BPM coursework and practical experience into role-specific education tracks for analysts, developers, program managers, administrators, and executives. Complementing the coursework is mentoring that helps ensure BPM best practices are baked into your BPM projects.
WebSphere Lombardi Edition experts work side-by-side with your team providing hands-on training. For more information about available WebSphere Education offerings, including course locations and availability dates, visit
Back to top
Product information is available via the Offering Information website
Also, visit the Passport Advantage® website
Back to top
Product documentation, including a getting started guide, FAQs, and video tutorials, is provided online for customers logged into IBM Blueworks Live at
Back to top
Specified operating environment
Workstation supporting browser
One of the following:
- Microsoft Windows with one of the following browsers
- Windows Internet Explorer 6, 7, or 8
- Mozilla Firefox 3.6, or later
- Mac OS X - Mozilla Firefox 3.6, or later
The program's specifications and specified operating environment information may be found in documentation accompanying the program, if available, such as a README file, or other information published by IBM, such as an announcement letter. Documentation and other program content may be supplied only in the English language.
No software is shipped with this service offering.
Blueworks Live is available at
Back to top
IBM Software Services has the breadth, depth, and reach to manage your services needs. You can leverage the deep technical skills of our lab-based Software Services team and the business consulting, project management, and infrastructure expertise of our IBM Global Services team. Also, we extend our IBM Software Services reach through IBM Business Partners to provide an extensive portfolio of capabilities. Together, we provide the global reach, intellectual capital, industry insight, and technology leadership to support a wide range of critical business needs.
To learn more about IBM Software Services or to contact a Software Services sales specialist, visit
Back to top
This product is available only via Passport Advantage. It is not available as shrinkwrap.
Product group: WebSphere Product Identifier Description PID IBM Blueworks Live 5725-A20 Product category: Application Integration Middleware Other
PID Charge unit Program name number description IBM Blueworks Live 5725-A20 - Editor Per authorized user - Contributor Per authorized user
Authorized User is a unit of measure by which the Program can be licensed. An Authorized User is a unique person who is given access to the Program. The Program may be installed on any number of computers or servers and each Authorized User may have simultaneous access to any number of instances of the Program at one time. Licensee must obtain separate, dedicated entitlements for each Authorized User accessing the Program in any manner directly or indirectly (for example: via a multiplexing program, device, or application server) through any means. An entitlement for an Authorized User is unique to that Authorized User and may not be shared, nor may it be reassigned other than for the permanent transfer of the Authorized User entitlement to another person.
Note: Some programs may be licensed where devices are considered users. In that case the following applies: Any computing device that requests the execution of or receives for execution a set of commands, procedures, or applications from the Program or that is otherwise managed by the Program is considered a separate User of the Program and requires an entitlement as if that device were a person.
Part Program name/Description number IBM Blueworks Live Editor - Per authorized user Initial fixed term use D0DDZLL 12 Mo without support Subsequent fixed term use E08ZDLL 12 Mo without support Contributor - Per authorized user Initial fixed term use D0DE1LL 12 Mo without support Subsequent fixed term use E08ZELL 12 Mo without support
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
License Information form number
Limited warranty applies
Volume orders (IVO)
Passport Advantage applies
Yes, and through the Passport Advantage website at
Software Subscription and Support (Software Maintenance) applies
System i Software Maintenance applies
Variable charges apply
Educational allowance available
Back to top
For additional information and current prices, contact your local IBM representative.
IBM Global Financing
IBM Global Financing offers competitive financing to credit-qualified customers to assist them in acquiring IT solutions. Offerings include financing for IT acquisition, including hardware, software, and services, from both IBM and other manufacturers or vendors. Offerings (for all customer segments: small, medium, and large enterprise), rates, terms, and availability can vary by country. Contact your local IBM Global Financing organization or visit
IBM Global Financing offerings are provided through IBM Credit LLC in the United States, and other IBM subsidiaries and divisions worldwide to qualified commercial and government customers. Rates are based on a customer's credit rating, financing terms, offering type, equipment type, and options, and may vary by country. Other restrictions may apply. Rates and offerings are subject to change, extension, or withdrawal without notice.
Financing from IBM Global Financing helps you preserve cash and credit lines, enables more technology acquisition within current budget limits, permits accelerated implementation of economically attractive new technologies, offers payment and term flexibility, and can help match project costs to projected benefits. Financing is available worldwide for credit-qualified customers.
IBM, WebSphere, FileNet and Passport Advantage are registered trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Microsoft and Windows are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Other company, product, and service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.
For the most current information regarding IBM products, consult your IBM representative or reseller, or visit the IBM worldwide contacts page