IBM Tivoli Monitoring for Virtual Servers V6.2.1 provides support for vSphere 4 as well as new integration features with IBM Systems Director VMcontrolIBM United States Software Announcement 209-310
October 6, 2009
|Table of contents||Document options|
IBM® Tivoli® Monitoring for Virtual Servers V6.2.1 builds on the robust monitoring capabilities of IBM Tivoli Monitoring for Virtual Servers V6.1.2, providing performance and availability monitoring for VMware clusters and Citrix Presentation Server environments, resource pools, ESX hosts, and virtual machines. You are able to monitor your VMware virtual environment by either connecting to ESXi or ESX classic hosts or by connecting directly to the VMware vCenter server.
- Support for VMware vSphere 4 and additional metrics: This release now includes support for VMware vSphere 4. Additional metrics are included in the VMware VI agent. They are hardware sensor status, units, and values to include temperature and energy usage; balloon memory usage, percent ready for the ESX host, server disk performance metrics, and fault tolerance of the virtual machine.
- Contextual management: Through integration of IBM Tivoli Monitoring for Virtual Servers V6.2.1 and IBM Systems Director VMcontrol Web UI, you are now able to monitor the performance and availability of your VMware environment using IBM Tivoli Monitoring for Virtual Servers, and contextually launch from the Tivoli Enterprise Portal into the VMcontrol Web UI to make virtual machine configuration changes, start, stop, create, and delete servers.
- Removal of Microsoft® Virutal Server Agent: This agent is now available in IBM Tivoli Monitoring for Microsoft Applications V6.2. If you would like to migrate your IBM Tivoli Monitoring for Virtual Servers license to IBM Tivoli Monitoring for Microsoft Applications, contact your IBM representative.
- Removal of ESX Agent: The ESX agent only provides support for ESX V2.1.2, V2.5.1, and V2.5.2. The newer Virtual Infrastructure agent includes support for later versions of ESX and ESXi, and provides monitoring of the VMware vCenter Server (formerly known as Virtual Center).
For ordering, contact your IBM representative or an IBM Business Partner. For more information, contact the Americas Call Centers at 800-IBM-CALL (426-2255).
Back to top
The supported levels of VMware products are:
- VMware ESX Server V3.5, or later
- VMware ESX Server V3.5i, or later
- VMware vCenter server V2.5, or later
The supported levels of Citrix products are:
- Citrix V3.0 - Enterprise Edition
- Enterprise Edition V4.0
- Enterprise Edition V4.5
- XenApp V5.0
Back to top
|Planned availability date|
- October 9, 2009: Electronic
- November 6, 2009: Media pack
Back to top
IBM Tivoli Monitoring for Virtual Servers V6.2.1, a product bundle, now includes two separate agents to help extend the end-to-end monitoring and management capability of IBM Tivoli Monitoring to include VMware vSphere and Citrix Access Suite.
Each of these agents includes best-practice situations and expert advice, customized workspaces, and historical data gathering. In addition, these agents can send application-specific events to IBM Tivoli Enterprise Console®. With these powerful capabilities, you can more effectively and efficiently manage the complete, end-to-end infrastructure from a single customizable interface. The specifics of each agent are described below.
Virtual Infrastructure (VI) Agent
The VI agent provides monitoring of ESX and ESXi hosts, and the VMware vCenter Server. Specific features include:
- Cluster, resource pool, and VMware vCenter Server events: If you monitor your VMware infrastructure by connecting to the VMware vCenter Server, you are able to obtain performance and availability alerts and statistics with regard to vCenter events (such as vMotion events), and CPU and memory utilization by cluster and resource pool. You can see overall cluster utilization as well as how each of the servers in the cluster is utilized (0% to 10%, 10% to 20%, and so on). You are then able to drill down via dynamic links to the specific ESX server or virtual machine that has a performance problem for further investigation.
- ESX Host and virtual machine performance and availability alerts and statistics: If you monitor the ESX host directly or monitor the vCenter server, you are able to obtain performance and availability alerts for memory and CPU utilization for the ESX host and by virtual machine. You are able to view network I/O by virtual machine and ESX host. If you have an operating system agent installed on the guest, you are able to dynamically link from the VI agent to the guest operating system agent to obtain process data to help in trouble shooting performance problems on the virtual machine.
Citrix Access Suite components:
- Citrix License Server allows central license management for Citrix Presentation Server. Citrix Presentation Server for Windows® is the foundation of the Citrix Access Suite, the world's most widely deployed presentation server for centrally managing heterogeneous applications, and delivering their functionality as a service to workers, wherever they may be.
- Citrix Secure Access Manager delivers secure, single-point access over the Web to a wide range of internal and external information resources, including applications, data sources, documents, and Web content and services. With a powerful set of easy-to-use, wizard-driven configuration tools, IT administrators can enable browser-based access to the entire enterprise.
- Citrix Secure Ticket Authority issues session tickets in response to connection requests for published resources. These session tickets form the basis of authentication and authorization for access to published resources in a server farm.
- Citrix Conferencing Manager adds intuitive application conferencing to Presentation Server that eliminates the geographical distance between team members, helps to increase the productivity of meetings, and allows easy collaboration.
- Citrix Web Interface for Presentation Server delivers a Web interface to Citrix so that users can access and leverage the Presentation Server from anywhere.
The Citrix Access Suite agent delivers the following management and maintenance capabilities for Citrix Access Suite V3.0 and V4.0 Enterprise by:
- Monitoring the availability of Citrix component services and indicate when they are down.
- Gathering the Independent Management Architecture (IMA) session performance metrics for IMA network connections, which are between Citrix servers/components, (for example Presentation Server and the License Server).
- Gathering all performance metrics for the Presentation Server (made available by Citrix) and also offers documentation on how to configure/setup the operating system agent in addition to the Citrix agent for a complete monitoring solution.
- Gathering performance metrics for ICA sessions, which are between Citrix servers and components and users (for example, Presentation Server and the Citrix client on an user system, displaying the published applications) showing Citrix-produced error, warning, and informational events from the event log.
- Gathering the license server license usage information.
- Gathering performance metrics for the Secure Ticket Authority.
- Delivering actions to start and stop Citrix component services.
Accessibility by people with disabilities
A U.S. Section 508 Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) containing details on accessibility compliance can be requested at
Section 508 of the U.S. Rehabilitation Act
IBM Tivoli Monitoring for Virtual Servers is capable as of October 9, 2009, when used in accordance with IBM's associated documentation, of satisfying the applicable requirements of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act, provided that any assistive technology used with the product properly interoperates with it. A US Section 508 Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) can be requested via IBM's web site at
Back to top
Refer to Software Announcement 206-053, dated March 14, 2006.
Back to top
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
The terms and conditions, previously announced for IBM Tivoli Monitoring for Virtual Servers, in Software Announcement 206-053, dated March 14, 2006, are unchanged.
Back to top
To order the media pack for Passport Advantage®, specify the part number and the desired quantity from the following table:
5724-L92 IBM Tivoli Monitoring for Virtual Servers V6.2.1 Description Part number IBM Tivoli Monitoring for Virtual Servers V6.2.1 BJ0TKML Media Pack
Back to top
|IBM Global Financing|
IBM Global Financing offers competitive financing to credit-qualified customers to assist them in acquiring IT solutions. Offerings include financing for IT acquisition, including hardware, software, and services, from both IBM and other manufacturers or vendors. Offerings (for all customer segments: small, medium, and large enterprise), rates, terms, and availability can vary by country. Contact your local IBM Global Financing organization or visit
IBM Global Financing offerings are provided through IBM Credit LLC in the United States, and other IBM subsidiaries and divisions worldwide to qualified commercial and government customers. Rates are based on a customer's credit rating, financing terms, offering type, equipment type, and options, and may vary by country. Other restrictions may apply. Rates and offerings are subject to change, extension, or withdrawal without notice. For more financing information, visit
Back to top
To order, contact your local IBM representative or your IBM Business Partner.
To identify your local IBM Business Partner or IBM representative, call 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968). For more information, contact the Americas Call Centers.
Phone: 800-IBM-CALL (426-2255) Fax: 800-2IBM-FAX (242-6329) For IBM representative: firstname.lastname@example.org For IBM Business Partner: email@example.com Mail: IBM Teleweb Customer Support ibm.com® Sales Execution Center, Americas North 3500 Steeles Ave. East, Tower 3/4 Markham, Ontario Canada L3R 2Z1 Reference: SE001
The Americas Call Centers, our national direct marketing organization, can add your name to the mailing list for catalogs of IBM products.
Note: Shipments will begin after the planned availability date.
IBM, Tivoli, Tivoli Enterprise Console, Passport Advantage and ibm.com are registered trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Microsoft and Windows are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Other company, product, and service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.
For the most current information regarding IBM products, consult your IBM representative or reseller, or visit the IBM worldwide contacts page
Back to top