IBM Rational Developer for i V7.5 delivers enhancements for traditional i, flexible, and integrated business application developmentIBM United States Software Announcement 208-290
October 7, 2008
|Table of contents||Document options|
IBM® Rational® Developer for i V7.5 provides an integrated development environment (IDE) for creating IBM i RPG, COBOL, and CL-based applications. The product is based on the latest Eclipse 3.4 level.
V7.5 key enhancements
- Integration with IBM Rational Application Developer for WebSphere® Software
- Allow shell sharing with other IBM Rational V7.5 products
- Enable a series of service oriented architecture (SOA) wizards to ease the creation of SOA wrappers of an IBM i program or service program
- Improved performance at startup and system actions
- System actions, such as expanding Library objects in the Remote System view, are now faster than the previous release.
- Long running actions are now performed in the background to allow you to continue editing or navigating the IDE.
- Startup time is reduced when not shell sharing with other larger IBM Rational products.
- IBM i Remote System Explorer (RSE) tools are now based on the open source Remote System Explorer included in the Eclipse Target Management project.
- Increased capabilities of the i Project support for centralizing IBM i resources
in a common change management repository
- You can now create a single i Project to contain all the source of your application, if your workstation's disk space and communication speed with IBM i allow. In the previous release, only a small subset of files could be contained.
- i Projects can now store an increased number of source files and save files, if your workstation's disk space and communication speed with IBM i allow.
Effective October 28, 2008, the configurator will provide the following support:
- New orders for IBM Rational Developer for i can be placed in IBM i 5.4 and 6.1.
- IBM Rational Developer for i and IBM Rational Developer for i for SOA Construction can be selected in the same order.
Back to top
|Planned availability dates|
For part number orders
- November 26, 2008, electronic software delivery
- December 5, 2008, physical software delivery
For feature code orders
- December 12, 2008, electronic and physical software delivery
Back to top
|Statement of direction|
IBM currently plans to deliver the client component of the IBM Rational Team Concert for i in Rational Developer for i V7.5 in fourth quarter, 2008. The information in this statement of general direction is based on IBM's current product goals and objectives only, which are subject to change or withdrawal by IBM without notice.
Accessibility by people with disabilities
A U.S. Section 508 Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) containing details on accessibility compliance can be requested at
Section 508 of the U.S. Rehabilitation Act
IBM Rational Developer for i V7.5 is capable as of November 26, 2008, when used in accordance with associated IBM documentation, of satisfying the applicable requirements of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act, provided that any assistive technology used with the product properly interoperates with it. A US Section 508 Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) can be requested via IBM web site
Back to top
Back to top
For details on IBM Rational Developer for i for SOA Construction V7.5, refer to Software Announcement 208-345, dated October 7, 2008.
Business Partner information
If you are a Direct Reseller - System Reseller acquiring products from IBM, you may link directly to Business Partner information for this announcement. A PartnerWorld® ID and password are required (use IBM ID).
Back to top
- Intel(R) Pentium(R) III 800 MHz processor minimum (higher is recommended).
- 512 MB RAM; 1 GB RAM recommended.
- Minimum: 800 MB of disk space is required for product package installation.
Additional disk space is required for the resources that you develop.
- Disk space requirements can be reduced or increased depending on the features that you install.
- Additional disk space is required if you download the product package to install this product.
- For Windows®: Additional disk space is required if you use FAT32 instead of NTFS.
- For Windows: An additional 500 MB of disk space is required in the directory pointed to by your environment variable TEMP.
- 1024 x 768 resolution minimum using 256 colors (or higher for best results).
- Microsoft® mouse or compatible pointing device.
- CD-ROM drive.
- Support - i5/OS® V5R3, i 5.4, or 6.1.
- Program temporary fixes (PTFs) information - Some components need additional PTFs that can be viewed online at
- More information about any required IBM i server PTFs - Can be found by:
- Opening the Remote System Explorer perspective if it is not already open by selecting Window > Open Perspective > Other and select Remote System Explorer. The name of the current perspective is shown in the top left corner of the title bar for the Window.
- Creating a connection to your IBM i server by double-clicking New Connection > IBM i.
- Expanding your new connection and right click on Objects.
- Selecting Verify Connection from the menu. This displays a dialog that shows which required PTFs are already installed on the system and which ones are missing.
- Compiling RPG, COBOL, C, C++, CL, or DDS on IBM i using the Remote System Explorer (RSE), the compilers must be installed on IBM i.
- Operating systems, supported in 32-bit mode, that support all of the languages
are supported by IBM Rational Developer for i:
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 or later
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition with Service Pack 1 or later
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition with Service Pack 1 or later
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, and Windows Vista Ultimate, with Service Pack 1 or later
- IBM Rational Developer for i is developed for use with Eclipe IDE V3.4.1. You can only extend an existing Eclipse IDE of V3.4.1 with latest updates from the open source community.
- Extension of an existing Eclipse IDE. A JRE is required from the following Javatm development
- IBM 32-bit SDK for Windows Java 2 Technology Edition, Version 6.0 service release 1; Sun Java 2 Standard Edition 6.0 Update 4 for Microsoft Windows
- Installation of updates: You might need to update your Eclipse version in order to install updates. Refer to the update's release documentation for information on changes to the prerequisite Eclipse version.
- Eligibility requirements: To enable users who do not have administrator privileges to work with IBM Rational Developer for i on a Windows Vista system, do not install Eclipse inside the Program Files directory (C:\Program Files\).
- One of the following Web browsers to view the readme files and the installation
guide, and to support the Standard Widget Toolkit (SWT) browser widget:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 with Service Pack 1, or later
- Mozilla 1.6, or later
- Firefox 1.0.x, 1.5, 2.0, or later
- The launchpad that does not support Mozilla 1.6. If your browser is Mozilla, you need V1.7, or later, to run the launchpad.
- Viewing multimedia user assistance, such as tours, tutorials, and demonstration viewlets. You must properly install Adobe® Flash Player, Version 6.0 release 65, or later
- On the Windows Vista operation system, the Samples Gallery and Tutorials Gallery do not support the new high-resolution display setting "Larger scale (120DPI) - make text more readable". The gallery content does not display if this option is set. If you changed to the new high resolution display option, you must change in to a lower resolution setting, for example, the default 90 DPI® setting.
- On the Japanese version of the Windows Vista operating system, the Samples Gallery and Tutorials Gallery require Mozilla Firefox as the Web browser preference; the gallery content does not display on other Web browsers. To run the galleries, install Mozilla Firefox, and then set the Web Browser preference to Mozilla Firefox (In the main product menu, click Window > Preferences > General > Web Browser.
Back to top
Part Program name/Description number IBM Rational Developer for i V7.5 Windows ML BT05SML Media Pack Rational Developer for i Authorized User D03HCLL LIC+SW MAINT 12 MO Rational Developer for i Authorized User E04IDLL ANNUAL SW MAINT RNWL Rational Developer for i Authorized User D03HELL SW MAINT REINSTATE 12 MO
Passport Advantage customer: Media pack entitlement details
Customers with active maintenance or subscription for the products listed are entitled to receive the corresponding media pack.
Entitled maintenance offerings description Part number IBM RDi V7.5 Win ML BT05SML
Rational Developer for i V7.5 5733-RDI 5829
Supply Feature withdrawal
Effective December 9, 2008, the supply feature #5819 for IBM Rational Developer for i V7.1 (5733-RDI), will be withdrawn.
Back to top
For local charges, contact your IBM representative.
Back to top
|IBM Global Financing|
IBM Global Financing offers competitive financing to credit-qualified customers to assist them in acquiring IT solutions. Offerings include financing for IT acquisition, including hardware, software, and services, from both IBM and other manufacturers or vendors. Offerings (for all customer segments: small, medium, and large enterprise), rates, terms, and availability can vary by country. Contact your local IBM Global Financing organization or visit
IBM Global Financing offerings are provided through IBM Credit LLC in the United States, and other IBM subsidiaries and divisions worldwide to qualified commercial and government customers. Rates are based on a customer's credit rating, financing terms, offering type, equipment type, and options, and may vary by country. Other restrictions may apply. Rates and offerings are subject to change, extension, or withdrawal without notice.
Financing offering and capabilities: For more financing information, visit
Back to top
To order, contact the Americas Call Centers, your local IBM representative, or your IBM Business Partner.
Identify your local IBM representative or IBM Business Partner, call 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968).
Phone: 800-IBM-CALL (426-2255) Fax: 800-2IBM-FAX (242-6329) Internet: firstname.lastname@example.org Mail: IBM Teleweb Customer Support ibm.com® Sales Execution Center, Americas North 3500 Steeles Ave. East, Tower 3/4 Markham, Ontario Canada L3R 2Z1
The Americas Call Centers, our national direct marketing organization, can add your name to the mailing list for catalogs of IBM products.
Note: Shipments will begin after the planned availability date.
IBM, Rational, WebSphere, PartnerWorld, i5/OS, DPI, Passport Advantage and ibm.com are registered trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Windows and Microsoft are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Java and all Java-based trademarks are trademarks of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the United States, other countries, or both.
Adobe is a registered trademark of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States, and/or other countries.
Other company, product, and service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.
For the most current information regarding IBM products, consult your IBM representative or reseller, or visit the IBM worldwide contacts page
Back to top