Preview: IBM Tivoli Key Lifecycle Manager V1.0IBM United States Software Announcement 208-078
April 8, 2008
|Table of contents||Document options|
|At a glance|
The focus of IBM Tivoli Key Lifecycle Manager will be:
- Helping you manage your information risk by providing the capability to manage encryption keys used to secure information, assure information integrity, implement encryption key retention policies, and ease data recovery.
- Managing enterprise tape encryption keys for storage administrators.
- Helping organizations comply with regulations that require protection of sensitive data and need a facility to serve and manage encryption keys of data at rest throughout their lifecycle.
- Providing a key management facility for transparent encryption, initially supporting IBM tape drives.
Back to top
IBM Tivoli® Key Lifecycle Manager V1.0 is expected to address the dynamics that make key lifecycle management a key initiative for IBM, such as:
- Value add for storage Encryption is a critical capability for storage management, and effective key lifecycle management should be a critical control point in a computing infrastructure.
- Integral part of IBM Security Management offerings There is a dramatically increasing need for secure communications and storage, which is creating silos of encryption at many levels of infrastructure (storage, server, application). Customers are looking for the capability to manage encryption keys to help improve their security, control, and auditability, and that demand can increase as the percentage of data encrypted increases. The process of managing encryption keys is an integral part of the IBM Security Management portfolio.
- Helps reduce the cost of loss of data The costs associated with the loss of data can be significant. Clearly, investment now to develop a data security strategy can help avoid the much higher costs associated with cleaning up after a breach. To get ahead of this data breach risk, encryption and key lifecycle management is high on customers' priority lists.
Back to top
Previews provide insight into IBM plans and direction. Availability, prices, ordering information,
and terms and conditions will be provided when the product is announced.
Back to top
IBM Tivoli Key Lifecycle Manager V1.0 should help ease your concerns about data loss and disclosure, and the issues associated with reporting and compliance.
IBM expects that the focus of Tivoli Key Lifecycle Manager will be:
- Making the prospect of managing encryption, and the costs associated with encryption, a feasible reality in a standards-based approach to management
- Focusing on reducing the complexity of distributed key management from hundreds of pages of documentation into a handful of screen captures
- Automating the key management lifecycle on tape hardware
Helping customers manage their information risk by providing the
capability to secure information, assure information integrity, implement
information retention policies, and ease data recovery through:
- Providing a platform independent, industry standards-based, and extendable key lifecycle management solution for small, medium, and large enterprise wide requirements.
- Simplifying the key lifecycle management process including an intuitive interface that eases key creation, tracking, reporting, and removal.
- Providing a base that can accommodate all forms of "data at rest" implementations.
IBM Global Financing
IBM Global Financing offers competitive financing to credit-qualified customers to assist them in acquiring IT solutions. Offerings include financing for IT acquisition, including hardware, software, and services, from both IBM and other manufacturers or vendors. Offerings (for all customer segments: small, medium, and large enterprise), rates, terms, and availability can vary by country. Contact your local IBM Global Financing organization or visit
IBM Global Financing offerings are provided through IBM Credit LLC in the United States, and other IBM subsidiaries and divisions worldwide to qualified commercial and government customers. Rates are based on a customer's credit rating, financing terms, offering type, equipment type, and options, and may vary by country. Other restrictions may apply. Rates and offerings are subject to change, extension, or withdrawal without notice.
Financing offering and capabilities: For more financing information, visit
Back to top
IBM Tivoli Key Lifecycle Manager should provide encryption key serving
and lifecycle management to help protect sensitive data encrypted using
IBM tape drives and IBM OEM tape drives.
Back to top
|Statement of general direction|
Key lifecycle management is an emerging technology in the data security market focused on addressing customer challenges such as increased reliance on encryption technologies. Customers are increasingly turning to IBM for help in how to manage these keys more appropriately throughout the key lifecycle. This demand is especially acute in IBM's storage business, but the need for key management spans across all of the hardware and software that IBM delivers today making key lifecycle management an important technology. The planned IBM Tivoli Key Lifecycle Manager is intended for enterprises that require protection of sensitive data and need a centralized facility to serve and manage encryption keys of data at rest throughout their lifecycle, initially serving IBM tape drives and expanding to multiple classes of infrastructure.
All statements regarding IBM's plans, directions, and intent are subject to change or withdrawal without notice.
Business Partner information
If you are a Direct Reseller - System Reseller acquiring products from IBM, you may link directly to Business Partner information for this announcement. A PartnerWorld ID and password are required (use IBM ID).
Back to top
Product deliverables are shipped only via Customized Offerings (for example, CBPDO, ServerPac, SystemPac®).
CBPDO and ServerPac are offered for Internet delivery, where ShopzSeries product ordering is available. Internet delivery of ServerPac may help improve automation and software delivery time. For more details on Internet delivery, refer to the ShopzSeries help information at
Media type for this software product is chosen during the customized offerings ordering process. Based on your customer environment, it is recommended that the highest possible density tape media is selected. Currently offered media types are:
- CBPDOs 3480, 3480 Compressed, 3490E, 3590, 3592*
- ServerPacs 3480, 3480 Compressed, 3490E, 3590, 3592*
- SystemPacs 3480, 3480 Compressed, 3490E, 3590, 3592*
Once a product becomes generally available, it will be included in the next ServerPac and SystemPac monthly update.
Production of software product orders will begin on the planned general availability date.
- CBPDO shipments will begin one week after general availability.
- ServerPac shipments will begin two weeks after inclusion in ServerPac.
- SystemPac shipments will begin four weeks after inclusion in SystemPac due to additional customization,and data input verification.
Back to top
|IBM Electronic Services|
IBM has transformed its delivery of hardware and software support services to help you achieve higher system availability. Electronic Services is a Web-enabled solution that offers an exclusive, no-additional-charge enhancement to the service and support available for IBM servers. These services are designed to provide the opportunity for greater system availability with faster problem resolution and preemptive monitoring. Electronic Services comprises two separate, but complementary, elements: Electronic Services news page and Electronic Services Agent.
The Electronic Services news page is a single Internet entry point that replaces the multiple entry points traditionally used to access IBM Internet services and support. The news page enables you to gain easier access to IBM resources for assistance in resolving technical problems.
The Electronic Service Agent is no-additional-charge software that resides on your server. It monitors events and transmits system inventory information to IBM on a periodic, client-defined timetable. The Electronic Service Agent automatically reports hardware problems to IBM. Early knowledge about potential problems enables IBM to deliver proactive service that may result in higher system availability and performance. In addition, information collected through the Service Agent is made available to IBM service support representatives when they help answer your questions or diagnose problems. Installation and use of IBM Electronic Service Agent for problem reporting enables IBM to provide better support and service for your IBM server.
To learn how Electronic Services can work for you, visit
Back to top