IBM AIX 5L includes new features, electronic software distribution, and DVD installationIBM United States Software Announcement 206-174
July 25, 2006
|Table of contents||Document options|
(Corrected on August 9, 2006)
|At a glance|
New features reinforce Tivoli Access Manager for IBM System p servers.
- No-charge preinstall option with AIX
- Enhanced security for AIX
- Online support available
- Installable on client or client and server
AIX 5L enhancements:
- New function for security, reliability, and system management performance
- New tool (AIXpert) to increase network security
- Other Software Maintenance Agreement (SWMA) and Network Installation Manager (NIM) improvements
Electronic delivery offers these benefits:
- Software product upgrades are available for download.
- No waiting for physical shipment to arrive.
- In emergencies, you can get another copy of your software immediately.
- Download site is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
For ordering, contact:
Your IBM representative, an IBM Business Partner, or IBM Americas Call Centers at
Back to top
AIX 5L enhancements
- New function for security, reliability, and systems management
- New system security hardening tool (AIXpert)
- New commands to make sharing boot disks between multiple AIX® 5L systems easier
- New utility, the Network Data Administration Facility (NDAF) for easier administration of large NFS V4 distributed filesystems.
- New NFS proxy caching function that can greatly improve the efficiency of using NFS over WANs without requiring changes to the NFS server or client
Refer to the Description section for additional details.
Tivoli® Access Manager for System p preinstalled
A simple-to-use, policy-based security system, Tivoli Access Manager for System p is now available as a preinstalled option on System p servers. This security system can securely lock down business-critical applications, files, and operating platforms to help prevent unauthorized access. These security capabilities help block both insiders and outsiders from unauthorized access to and use of valuable customer, employee, and business partner data.
This is a no-charge version of Tivoli Access Manager for System p product (feature codes 1492 and 1493), which can result in your being contacted by IBM regarding your experience with the product. If you do not want to be contacted, you should request removal of Tivoli Access Manager feature from your order. You can instead order the full-function chargeable version of the Tivoli Access Manager software from Tivoli (product number D512TLL).
Electronic software distribution
Electronic delivery is now available for AIX 5L for POWER V5.2, V5.3, ITUAM 6.1, and other licensed program upgrades. Clients with a current SWMA can download software upgrades online without having to wait for an order to be processed or physical media to arrive. Electronic delivery is available only for upgrades or product refreshes. For details on registration and more, refer to the Description section.
For more information, visit
DVD media installation for 64-bit architecture
With the general availability of AIX 5L V5.2 technology level 5200-09 and AIX 5L V5.3 technology level 5300-05, AIX now supports installation onto a disk or logical unit greater than 1 TB in size when using a 64-bit kernel. This function is supported only when the installation is performed from a NIM server or from DVD product media.
DVD product media can no longer be used to boot and install machines that
do not support a 64-bit architecture, though CD-ROM product media can
still be used to install 64-bit machines when the installation disk is 1
TB or less in size. DVD media created on a machine with a 32-bit
architecture using the mksysb command can still be used as boot media for
a machine with a 32-bit architecture. AIX currently supports the
7025-F50, 7026-H50, 7043-150, 7046-B50, and 9076-H50 machines, which have
a 32-bit architecture.
Back to top
|Planned availability date|
August 4, 2006
Back to top
AIX 5L enhancements
AIX 5L V5.3 Technology Level 5 includes new function for security, reliability, systems management, performance, and distributed filesystems.
It also includes a new system security hardening tool (AIXpert) to help administrators increase the network security of their servers. You can also now use Microsoft Active Directory as an LDAP directory and authentication server for AIX 5L systems.
AIX 5L V5.3 TL 5300-05 extends the leadership capabilities of AIX 5L for reliability, availability, and serviceability with new, mainframe-inspired features such as:
- Faster systems dumps
- Networking, storage, and sysalloc first-failure data capture enhancements
- Kernel stack overrun protection and kernel no-execute page protection
- Trace enhancements for filesystems, networking, Virtual Memory Manager, Network Filesystem, and other AIX 5L components
- Significant enhancements to XMALLOC_debug that can eliminate reboots to diagnose memory allocation problems
Tivoli Access Manager for System p preinstall
Tivoli Access Manager for System p is by default preinstalled on all System p mid-range and high-end servers (System p5 570, or higher); however, you can deselect it to bypass the preinstall. Server code 1493 does not default to preinstall on low-end servers (System p5 570, or lower), but you can select preinstall for these servers. Client code feature 1492 is default preinstalled on all System p servers; however, you can deselect it to bypass the preinstall.
Tivoli Access Manager for System p helps erect a secure perimeter around sensitive resources to restrict access regardless of a user's administrative status. This security solution addresses many system vulnerabilities, including those associated with UNIX® and Linux super user or "root" accounts. Many security failures in UNIX and Linux environments are a direct result of super user account abuse or a hacker who gains access to this account. Tivoli Access Manager for System p includes these controls without adding the administrative burden of changing your business processes.
Limited support for this version of the Tivoli Access Manager for System p preload is available via e-forum only at
To receive full remote phone support and software maintenance,you must purchase IBM Tivoli Access Manager for Operating Systems in Passport Advantage®. Installation and technical support is provided by the Software Maintenance offering of the IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement. This fee service enhances your productivity with voice and electronic access into IBM support organizations.
- Helps defend against one of the top security threats that enterprises face: misbehavior by internal users and employees.
- This offering is available as a preinstall only. There is no orderable media.
- Delivers mainframe-class security and auditing in a lightweight, easy-to-use product.
- Combines full-fledged intrusion prevention, host-based firewall, application and platform protection, user tracking and controls, password strength enforcement rules with robust auditing and compliance checking.
- Provides comprehensive auditing to record compliance with government regulations, corporate policy, and other security mandates.
- Offers multibranch policy management to help reduce administration costs and errors, making governance more effective and efficient.
The full-featured IBM Tivoli Access Manager for Operating Systems product is available directly from Tivoli. It includes the following additional features:
- Centralized audit reporting
- Enhanced scalability
For the online IBM Software catalog, visit
AIX binary compatibility
AIX 5L runs across the entire range of System p machines, from entry-level servers and workstations to powerful supercomputers like the 32-way POWER System p machines, which run extremely complex commercial and technical workloads. Not only does AIX 5L scale across systems of different sizes, it scales across different technologies and hardware platforms by delivering binary compatibility. As you move to newer versions of AIX 5L, its excellent history of binary compatibility provides confidence that your critical applications will continue to run. For additional details on AIX binary compatibility, visit
Systems management enhancements include:
- New commands to make it easier to boot multiple systems or partitions from a single NFS boot image, which can greatly reduce the administrative workload associated with managing large, replicated AIX 5L environments.
- Better integration between System Update Management Assistant and the NIM to gather and combine client inventories and consolidate download of AIX 5L fixes. You can also compare microcode, firmware, and AIX software inventories, and generate reports.
- The topas tool is enhanced to gather and record performance data from multiple partitions, simplifying performance management and capacity planning.
Registration for electronic software delivery is required on the ESS site at
If you specify electronic delivery, feature numbers 3450 and 3410 are put on the order for each product that can be downloaded electronically.
Feature numbers 3470 (do not ship publications) and 3471 (do not ship media) are also generated automatically on these orders to suppress the shipment of physical media and publications.
- Some products or functions of 5692-A5L cannot be downloaded and must be delivered on physical media, even when electronic delivery is selected. For products that cannot be downloaded, feature number 3450 is not put on the upgrade orders.
- In cases where a combination of downloadable and non-downloadable products are ordered, the eConfig sales configurator automatically creates two 5692-A5L upgrade orders.
The first version is created for the functions that can be delivered electronically. This version has electronic delivery feature 3450 and the 3470/3471 media suppression features for the U.S. and 3450 with RGST for Europe. The second version is created for the functions that must be delivered on physical media.
- If you do not select electronic delivery, the delivery defaults to physical media.
- After an upgrade order with 3450 is processed, a notification is sent indicating which products are available for download, along with information for downloading the products.
- Even if you choose to receive physical media, the products that are available for electronic delivery may be downloaded as long as you have an active SW Maintenance contract and have registered with the ESS site. This provides a means for obtaining the latest level of a product.
Electronic Software Delivery is now available for AIX 5L for POWER V5.2 and V5.3 and other licensed programs upgrades in the following countries.
- Abu Dhabi
- Central African Republic
- French Guyana
- French Polynesia
- New Caledonia
- Serbia and Montenegro
- South Africa
- United Kingdom
- United States
- Zaire (since 1998 known as Democratic Republic of Congo, or DR Congo)
In these countries if you have a current SWMA, you can download software upgrades online without having to wait for an order to be processed or for physical media to arrive. Electronic delivery is available only for upgrades or product refreshes. For details on electronic software delivery, registration, and more, visit
Statement of Direction
Withdrawal of support for AIX 32-bit kernel in future releases of AIX 5L.
Future releases of AIX 5L following AIX 5L V5.3 will support only the 64-bit kernel. The 64-bit kernel in these future releases will continue to support 32-bit applications, but will not support 32-bit kernel extensions or device drivers.
All statements regarding IBM's future direction and intent are subject to change or withdrawal
without notice, and represent goals and objectives only. Contact your local IBM office or IBM
authorized reseller for the full text of a specific Statement of General Direction.
Back to top
For additional information, refer to Software Announcement 206-106 , dated May 9, 2006, IBM System i5 products support electronic software delivery.
For additional information, refer to Refer to Software Announcement 206-089 , dated April 18, 2006, IBM Tivoli Access Manager for Operating Systems V6.0 provides centralized auditing and simplified policy management for UNIX and Linux environments.
Business Partner information
If you are a Direct Reseller - System Reseller acquiring products from IBM, you may link directly to Business Partner information for this announcement. A PartnerWorld ID and password are required (use IBM ID).
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
The terms and conditions for these AIX 5L features are the same as for the previously announced AIX 5L V5.2 and V5.3 offerings used for the operating system licensed programs.
For additional information, refer to:
- Software Announcement 202-270 , dated October 8 2002, for AIX 5L V5.2.
- Software Announcement 204-155 , dated July 13, 2004, for AIX 5L V5.3.
Licensing: IBM International Program License Agreement. Proofs of Entitlement (PoE) are required for all authorized use.
The following agreements apply for maintenance and do not require customer signatures:
- IBM Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance (Z125-6011)
- Addendum for Support (Software Maintenance) for Select iSeries and System p Programs (Z125-6495)
Back to top
AIX 5L customers requesting electronic software delivery: Downloading from the electronic software delivery Web site requires an active SW Maintenance Agreement for each product to be downloaded and registration with the ESS Web site. Visit
Web site registration requires:
- A valid customer number
- An AIX 5L software order number associated with the customer number
If you do not have and cannot obtain the customer number/ software order number pair by any other means, you can process a 5692-A5L upgrade order specifying electronic software delivery.
The following is a list of participating SWMA products for which upgrades and refreshes are available via ESD download:
5692-A5L Program Feature number Description number 5765-E62 AIX 5L for POWER(TM) V5.2 0947 Base Media and Pubs AIX 5L 5.2 Updates 0965 AIX 5L V5.2 Expansion Pack 0949 AIX(R) Toolbox for Linux(TM) Apps 5765-G03 AIX 5L for Power V5.3 0967 Base Media and Pubs AIX 5L V5.3 Expansion Pack 0968 AIX Toolbox for Linux Apps AIX 5L 5.3 Updates 0970 AIX Toolbox for Linux Apps Source 0957 Machine Code Discovery Tool and 0975 Update Files Mozilla Browser Suite for AIX 0976 5765-E68 Performance Aide V3.1, Inst Media 0971 5765-E74 Performance Tool Box, Inst Media 0972 5765-E69 LoadLeveler(R) V3.3, Inst Media 0980 5765-E72 Fast Connect V3.2, Inst Media 0923 5765-E85 AIXLink/x.25 V2.1, Inst Media 0931 5765-F64 GPFS for AIX V2.3 Inst Media 1435 5765-G66 GPFS for AIX V3.1 Inst Media 1485 5765-F67 CSM for AIX V1.5 Inst Media 0987 5765-F67 CSM -- HAMS for AIX V1.5 Inst Media 1406 5765-F82 ESSL for AIX V4.2, Inst Media 0982 5765-F83 Parallel Env. for AIX V4.2 0978 Inst Media 5765-F84 Parallel ESSL V3.2 Inst Media 0989 5765-G31 Partition Load Manager V1.1 1424 Inst Media 5765-G34 Virtual I/O Server V1.3 Inst Media 0999 5765-F62 HACMP(TM) V5.4 Install Media 1489 5765-F62 HACMP XD V5.4 Install Media 1490 5765-F62 HACMP Smart Assist. V5.4 1491 Install Media 5765-F62 HACMP V5.3 Install Media 1458 5765-F62 HACMP XD V5.3 Install Media 1459 5765-F62 HACMP Smart Assist. V5.3 1460 Install Media 5724-O33 IBM Tivoli(R) Usage Accounting 1494 Manager 6.1 IBM Tivoli Usage Accounting 1495 Collector for Databases IBM Tivoli Usage Accounting 1497 Collector for Intranet Infrastructure IBM Tivoli Usage Accounting 1498 Collector for E-mail IBM Tivoli Usage Accounting 1499 Collector for Network & Printing IBM Tivoli Usage Accounting 2200 Enterprise Collector pack IBM Tivoli Usage Accounting Manager 2214 V6.1 for z/OS(R)
The Tivoli Usage Accounting Manager products will become available for electronic download on their announced general availability date.
Clients requesting the new no-charge features for electronic software delivery or Tivoli Access Manager for System p should order the appropriate feature number under SPO 5692-A5L from the following table:
Feature Description number Preinstalled Electronic Software 3450(1) Not applicable Delivery Tivoli Access Manager for System p V6 Client Code 1492(2) Yes Server Code 1493(3) Yes (1) The 3450 Electronic Delivery feature is for upgrades only. It is not available for new orders. (2) Client code is a prerequisite for the server code. If you want to order 1493, you must also order 1492. (3) In order to run, the server code requires the 64-bit kernel. If you order 1493, you must also order feature 1403 (AIX V5.3) or feature 0963 (AIX V5.2).
Back to top
For local charges, contact your IBM representative.
Back to top
To order, contact the Americas Call Centers, your local IBM representative, or your IBM Business Partner.
To identify your local IBM representative or IBM Business Partner, call 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968).
Phone: 800-IBM-CALL (426-2255) Fax: 800-2IBM-FAX (242-6329) Internet: firstname.lastname@example.org Mail: IBM Americas Call Centers Dept. Teleweb Customer Support, 9th floor 105 Moatfield Drive North York, Ontario Canada M3B 3R1 Reference: RE001
The Americas Call Centers, our national direct marketing organization, can add your name to the mailing list for catalogs of IBM products.
Note: Shipments will begin after the planned availability date.
Back to top