IBM System x3650 server features fast, powerful quad-core 1.6 GHz/1066 MHz, and 1.86 GHz/1066 MHz, 2 x 4 MB (8 MB) L2 Cache Intel Xeon processors
See final section for details of availability and limitations, if applicable.
The System x3650 server enhances rack-optimized server applications with:
- Powerful, two-socket multi-core Intel(R) Xeon processing
- 64-bit memory addressing - up to 48 GB memory using 4 GB DIMM
- PCI-Express architecture and PCI-X, up to 133 MHz
- Serial Attach SCSI (SAS) technology
- High-availability and manageability features
The server is available with a quad-core 1.60 GHz/1066 MHz(E5310), or a quad-core 1.86 GHz/1066 MHz(E5320) processor(1) with 8 MB (2 x 4 MB L2 cache). These Xeon processors come with Enhanced Intel Speedstep (EIS) technology(6) for more efficient program execution. Both models have quad core processors with 8 MB (2 x 4 MB L2 cache).
With a compact 2U footprint, the rack-optimized System x3650 server helps save valuable rack space and resources. It is packed with highly integrated, advanced server features designed for compute-intensive, Web-based, or enterprise network applications, where space is a primary consideration.
Optimized for solid performance
The System x3650 server applies powerful processors, large amounts of memory, and high-bandwidth PCI/PCI-X and PCI-Express for business critical applications. Features include:
- 1066 MHz (quad-pumped 266 MHz) FSB processors with 8 MB L2 cache, 2 x 4 MB L2 cache quad core processor, enabling up to 8.5 GB/s data transfer rates
- Two 512 MB PC2-5300 high-speed DDR2 or two 1 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 DIMMs 667 MHz with advanced memory features, model dependent
- High-speed, wide-bandwidth, PCI/PCI-X and a PCI-E bus
- Support for four PCI slots:
- Two PCI-Express low-profile card slots
- Two PCI-X 133 MHz/64-bit (or two PCI Express card slots), one full and one half length, both full height.
High-performance integrated controllers, including:
- Two Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet controllers, with integrated TCP Offload Engine technology (TOE)
- SAS SCSI host controller
Fully integrated enterprise class management
Consolidate workloads and optimize more advanced solutions architectures at incredible IT savings and lower power levels.
- IBM PowerExecutive(TM) for advanced data center power notification and management to achieve lower heat output and reduced cooling needs
- Integrated Systems Management processor for improved manageability and uptime
- Optional RSA II SlimLine system management with no PCI slot used
- Front, rear, and remote KVM delivers easy hands-on management for any IT environment
- Drop down Light Path diagnostic panel for improved in-rack manageability and easy problem identification, Wake on Lan, and PXE
- Standard 8x-24x CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive for ease of imaging and application loading
- Support for virtual floppy enables easy remote host booting, using standard instructions stored anywhere on the network
Protect Your IT Investment
- Hot swap, redundant components: HDD, power, and cooling
- Support for internal tape drive options protects and secures data
- Scalable memory and I/O design responds to your future business needs
- Advanced memory protection: memory mirroring, on-line hot-spare, and Chipkill memory
- Calibrated Vectored Cooling with hot swap fans
- Integrated SAS RAID 0, 1, 10 with RAID 5 upgrade via daughter card - no PCI slot used
- Three year limited warranty(8) on parts and labor(9)
- The following are trademarks or registered trademarks of
International Business Machines Corporation: IBM, Alert on LAN,
e-business logo, HelpWare, LAN Client Control Manager, Light Path
Diagnostics, Netfinity, PartnerLink, Predictive Failure Analysis,
ServerGuide, ServerProven, ServeRAID, Tivoli, Wake on LAN, and
xSeries. For a list of additional trademarks, visit
- Lotus, Lotus Notes, and Domino are trademarks or registered trademarks of Lotus Development Corporation and/or IBM Corporation.
- The following are trademarks or registered trademarks of the Microsoft Corporation: Microsoft, Windows 2000 and Windows 2003.
- Intel, Xeon, and LANDesk are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation.
- Other company, product, or service names, may be a trademark or service mark of others.
- GHz and MHz denote the internal and/or external clock speed of the microprocessor only, not application performance. Many factors affect application performance.
- PC2-5300 DDR2 advanced memory features DIMM indicates a 240-pin DDR2 (double data rate and effectively provide 2x data in the same clock cycle) DIMM running at 333 MHz DRAM clock speed and offering maximum 5333 MB/s bandwidth.
- Actual playback speed varies and is often less than the maximum possible.
- When referring to HDD or tape backup capacity, GB stands for one billion bytes. TB is 1,000,000,000,000 bytes. Total user capacity may vary depending on operating environments.
- Connectors only function when RSA II SlimLine option installed
- Enhanced Intel Speedstep (EIS) Technology allows the system to dynamically adjust processor voltage and core frequency, which results in decreased power consumption, which results in decreased heat production, which in turn allows improved acoustics because fans do not need to spin as quickly.
- The Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Environment software, included as part of ServerGuide software, may be used for boot, diagnostic, setup, restoration, installation, configuration, test, or disaster recovery purposes only. The Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Environment software contains a security feature that will cause an end user customer's system to reboot without prior notification to the end user customer after 24 hours of continuous use of the Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Environment. During routine usage of ServerGuide, which does not usually require usage of the Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Environment software for such an extended time period, this condition should not occur.
- For information on IBM's Statement of Limited Warranty, contact your IBM representative or reseller. Copies are available upon request.
- With respect to on-site service, the customer may be asked certain diagnostic questions before a technician is sent.
- IBM makes no warranties, expressed or implied, regarding non-IBM products and services that are ServerProven, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. These products are offered and warranted solely by third parties.
- The information in IBM announcement letters is subject to change without notice, consult the IBM Sales Manual, or your IBM representative or reseller, for the most current information regarding IBM products.
(c) Copyright International Business Machines Corporation, 2001. copyrights reserved.
- Monitor, keyboard, and mouse
- SAS SCSI HDD
System x3650 server features are optimized for performance, availability, and flexibility for collaboration applications and virtualization opportunities:
- Powerful 1.60 GHz, or 1.86 GHz(1) Intel Xeon processors with 1066 MHz FSB and 8 MB L2 cache (each processor is quad core and comes with 2 x 4 MB L2 cache)
- Two 512 MB PC2-5300 high-speed DDR2 or two 1 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 DIMMs 667 MHz with advanced memory features(2), model dependent
- Integrated SAS SCSI HDD controller with integrated mirroring
- 835-watt voltage auto-sensing hot-plug power supply
- Up to 10 hot-swap fans, supporting redundant cooling
- Integrated systems management processor
- Four available PCI slots: two PCI-Express low-profile card slots, two PCI-X 133 MHz/64-bit, or PCI-E, one full and one half-length
- Seven drive bays: 8x-24x(3) CD-RW/DVD-ROM COMBO Drive, six hot-swap HDDs, 3.5-inch
- Two integrated gigabit Ethernet controllers using Broadcom chips, and featuring TCP Offload Engine (TOE)
- ATI RN50 video controller with 16 MB video memory and two video ports
- One serial port, seven USB ports, two Ethernet (RJ-45), one systems management connector(5), one external SAS connector, one internal SATA connector, and two video ports
Planned availability date: December 22, 2006
Intel Xeon processor options
- Quad-core Intel Xeon Processor E5310 1.60 GHz/1066 MHz FSB 2 x 4 MB L2 Cache- 43W5821
- Quad-core Intel Xeon Processor E5320 1.86 GHz/1066 MHz FSB 2 x 4 MB L2 Cache - 43W5822
These processors are ideal for data-intensive applications that range from data mining to evolving Web services. Innovative technologies deliver a processing speed of up to 1.86 GHz with a 1066 MHz FSB and 8 MB (2 x 4 MB) L2 cache for unpredictable server workloads and escalating computing needs.
These Intel Xeon processors with 8 MB L2 cache feature Intel Core(tm) microarchitecture with increased overall performance, greater energy efficiency, and more responsive multitasking will reduce thermal burdens in server data centers.
All x3650 models that come with quad-core processors will have 8 MB (2 x 4 MB ) L2 cache.
This device provides 256 MB of battery-backed 533 MHz DDR2 standard power memory in a fixed mounting arrangement. It attaches directly to the IBM planar which can provide full RAID capability.
Most models come with the ServeRAID 8k controller which features:
- 256 MB DDR2 533 MHz
- 72 hours of battery life for 3 years at 45 degrees C
- RAID-0, 1, 1E, 10, 5, 6,
- Stripe-unit size: 16k, 32k, 64k, 128k, 256k, 512k, and 1024k
- One-year limited warranty on parts
- IBM System x 3650 835W Hot-Swap Power Supply (WW) (40K1905)
- IBM System x 3650 835W Hot-Swap Power Supply (NA) (40K1906)
The x3650 server expands the new server line by adding a higher level of processor power. This high-throughput, four-way multi-core network server offers excellent performance and scalability when you add memory and a second processor. It incorporates powerful Xeon processors with 8 MB L2 cache. The advanced transfer L2 cache is integrated onto the processor in quad cores, and runs at the same clock speed. The advanced transfer cache is a result of a "backside bus" 256 bits wide. It features a quad-wide cache line that can transfer four 64-bit cache line segments at one time to deliver full-speed capability. The cache is eight-way set associative.
Two Intel Xeon(tm) processor connectors are standard on the system board to support installation of a second processor. High-speed PC2-5300 DDR2 Advanced Memory Feature DIMMs running at 667 MHz DRAM clock speed and offering maximum 5333 MB/s bandwidth, processor-to-memory subsystem performance. The x3650 server uses the Intel 5000P chipset with Chipkill technology to maximize throughput from processors, to memory, to the 32-bit and 64-bit PCI buses.
____________________________________________________________________ | Model Processor Cache Memory SCSI Interface Mechanical | |--------------------------------------------------------------------| | 7979-A1G 1.60 GHz 8 MB 1 GB ECC HS SAS Rack | | 7979-C1G 1.86 GHz 8 MB 2 GB ECC HS SAS Rack | |____________________________________________________________________| Note:
The System x3650 models use a Serial Attachment SCSI (SAS) controller for HDDs.
- Eight-core processing achieved with a second processor of equal speed and processor type
- System board containing twelve DIMM connectors supporting
512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB, and 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 PC2-5300 SDRAM ECC DIMMs with:
- Advanced memory features for improved performance (memory must be installed in matched pairs)
- Up to 48 GB of system memory (using 4 GB DIMMs)
- High-speed, wide-bandwidth PCI-Express or PCI/PCI-X bus slots:
- Two PCI-Express low-profile card slots
- Two PCI-X 133 MHz/64-bit, or PCI-E, one full, and one half-length
- Up to seven bays to support six 3.5-inch SAS HDDs, and a CD-R/CD-RW/ DVD drive
- Two Broadcom Chips for Gigabit (10/100/1000) Ethernet PCI, which speed network communications to LAN clients
The x3650 servers offer solid system throughput from processor, to memory, to bus, to disk-intensive I/O. These features, combined with multi-core capability, make the x3650 server an excellent choice for a stand-alone or clustered general- business application, file, and print server.
- Support for Light Path Diagnostics with viewable drop-down panel, Wake on LAN, and PXE
- Up to ten hot-swap fans
- Up to six 3.5-inch HS HDDs
- IBM ServeRAID SAS 8k-l controller on most models that supports 0, 1, and 10 as standard
- Chipkill memory that basically distributes information covered by Error Correction Coding across separate memory chips, so if any of the chips fail, the data can still be reconstructed from the remaining chips and the system can continue running
- ECC L2 cache processors to help improve data integrity and help reduce downtime.
- Predictive Failure Analysis (PFA) on HDD options (when ServeRAID 8k is installed), memory, VRMs, processors, and fans (when Remote Supervisor Adapter is installed), to help alert the system administrator of imminent component failure
- Support for optional Remote Supervisor Adapter II SlimLine, which enables remote systems management through a Web-based browser
- Worldwide voltage-sensing, 835-watt, hot-plug power supply featuring auto restart
- Optional 835-watt hot-swap power supply upgrade for high-availability requirements
- Integrated systems-management processor that supports:
- Automatic server restart (ASR)
- Fan monitoring and control
- Power supply monitoring
- Temperature monitoring
- Voltage monitoring
- Power on/off, reset sequencing
- LED controls (onboard diagnostics support with Light Path LED)
- Remote power control
- Local firmware update
- Error logging
- Information LED panel for visual indications of system well-being
- Onboard diagnostics with an LED map to a failing component to help reduce downtime and service costs
- Support for virtual floppy, which enables user to easily direct a remote host to boot and use standard instructions stored anywhere on the network
- Easily accessible system board, adapter cards, processor, and memory
- CPU failure recovery in two sockets configurations, which:
- Forces failed processor offline
- Reboots server automatically
- Generates alerts
- Continues operations with the working processor
The x3650 server packs a lot of function and storage capacity into a 2U 19-inch rack-drawer package, yet it is amazingly easy to upgrade and service. Functions, such as SVGA video, SAS SCSI, and full-duplex 10/100/1000 mbps Ethernet, are integrated on the system board. Features include:
- Rack-drawer models designed for 19-inch-wide by 28-inch-deep industry-standard rack enclosures, such as the NetBAY42 SR
- Four PCI/PCI-Express adapter card slots available (2 x PCI-Express slots may be replaced by a riser card option to get two PCI-X slots)
- System board optional upgrades (PCI slot not required)
- Remote Supervisor Adapter II SlimLine (RSA II SlimLine)
- One ServeRAID connector
- Support for up to 1.8 TB(4) of internal data storage, using six 300 GB SAS hot-swap HDDs (internal tape option may be used when available and supported)
- 8x-24x CD-R/CD-RW DVD COMBO Drive
- ATI RN50 controller with 16 MB of embedded DDR1 video memory
Integrated BMC: The System x3650 includes an integrated baseboard management controller that provides industry-standard Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI) 2.0-compliant systems management. The BMC comes standard, and shares one of the two onboard Ethernet ports for access. The BMC can be accessed via software that is compatible with IPMI 2.0 (xCAT, and more). The BMC is implemented using industry-leading OSA firmware and applications in conjunction with the integrated baseboard management controller.
- Features and benefits:
- Monitoring of system voltages
- Monitoring of battery voltage
- Monitoring of system temperatures
- Fan speed control
- Fan tachometer monitor
- Good Power signal monitor
- System ID and planar version detection
- System power control
- System reset control
- NMI detection (System Interrupts)
- SMI detection and generation (System Interrupts)
- Serial port text console redirection
- System LED control (power, HDD, activity, alerts, heartbeat)
- Support for IPMI V2.0-compliant management software (for example, xCAT)
In addition you can purchase an optional Remote Supervisor Adapter II SlimLine to provide additional systems management functionality.
Optional Remote Supervisor Adapter II SlimLine (39Y9566): The optional RSA II Slimline adds accelerated graphics and delivers advanced control and monitoring features to manage your IBM System x3650 server at virtually any time, from virtually any place. The adapter card can be added to the server through a connector that connects to the planar. This adapter enables easy console redirection with text and graphics, and keyboard and mouse (operating system must support USB) support over the system management LAN connections.
With video compression now built into the adapter hardware, it is designed to allow the greater screen sizes and refresh rates that are becoming standard in the marketplace. This feature allows the user to display server activities from power-on to full operation remotely, with remote user interaction at virtually any time.
The embedded Web server provides remote control from any standard Web browser. No additional software is required on the remote administrator's workstation. For those users who are accustomed to a command line interface, the administrator can also use the provided CLI from a Telnet session to perform some of the functions that they can perform from the Web server. The Remote Supervisor Adapter II SlimLine provides remote management and control of the system independent of the server status, in many cases even if the server is powered off or otherwise disabled.
- Features and benefits:
- The adapter continuously monitors system environmentals (temperatures and voltages), operating system status, and critical system components, such as processors, VRMs, memory, fans, power supplies and power backplanes (where supported by the system).
- Video compression hardware is built in, eliminating drivers.
- Faster graphics support makes monitoring and control more efficient.
- Virtual CD and floppy is designed to provide the user with the ability to configure and diagnose a server remotely without a visit from your IT staff.
- RSA II SlimLine supports Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP).
- The adapter is integrated with IBM Director and Director Agent.
- Built-in LAN and serial connectivity supports virtually any network infrastructure.
- Multiple alerting functions warn systems administrators of potential problems, over e-mail, pager support, LAN, or SNMP.
- The adapter installs on the system planar using a dedicated connector, and eliminates the need to take a PCI-X slot.
The RSA II SlimLine features are similar to the RSA II with exception of following features:
- Reset button is not accessible from back of system.
- Mini USB cable (no longer required) uses internal USB bus. System has designated Systems Management Ethernet port, activated only when RSA II SlimLine is installed.
- External ac adapter not required (device uses standby power from system power supplies).
- Status LEDs are not external viewable.
- The RSA II SlimLine no longer supports the prior RSA II interconnect function.
The x3650 server features IBM Director, a powerful, highly integrated systems management software solution built on industry standards, and designed for ease of use.
You can exploit your existing enterprise or workgroup management environments and use rich security features that access and manage physically dispersed IT assets efficiently over the Internet.
It can help reduce costs through:
- Reduced downtime
- Increased productivity of IT personnel and end users
- Potentially reduced service and support costs
IBM Director integrates leading workgroup and enterprise systems management environments via upward integration modules. This integration enables the advanced management capabilities built into the System x3650 server to be accessed from:
- Tivoli Enterprise and Tivoli Netview
- Computer Associates Unicenter TNG Framework
- NetIQ -- BMC Patrol
- Microsoft SMS
- Intel LANDesk Management Suite
IT administrators can view the hardware configuration of remote systems in detail and monitor the usage and performance of critical components, such as processors, HDDs, and memory.
IBM Director includes self-management features and a portfolio of proactive predictive tools that enable advanced xSeries server management resulting in higher server availability and reliability.
Its industry-standard foundation enables heterogeneous hardware support. It works with the integrated systems-management processor to access environmental system information.
The integrated systems management processor monitors and controls operating status for critical errors.
- ASR monitors the operating system status and automatically restarts the server if the operating system fails to respond. An alert is then generated if the system has been restarted through ASR.
- Fan monitoring and control manages fan speed and automatically
increases to maintain system cooling if temperature thresholds are
exceeded. An alert is generated if a fan:
- Fails, or failure is predicted (with Remote Supervisor II Adapter card installed)
- Is installed or removed
- Power supply monitoring monitors for voltage ranges of supply.
- Temperature monitoring provides CPU and HDD backplane temperatures. An alert is generated if (preset) temperature warning thresholds are exceeded or restored, and if critical temperature thresholds are exceeded. Soft and hard system shutdowns are automatically initiated if critical temperature thresholds are exceeded.
- Voltage monitoring provides CPU and power subsystem voltage thresholds. An alert is generated if abnormal voltages are detected.
- Power on/off and reset sequencing are supported through system monitoring.
- Text console redirect features keyboard and mouse control.
- LED controls (Light Path support); provide onboard diagnostics with LED map, which is illuminated in case of key component errors or failures to enable quick local diagnostics and servicing.
- Flash update enables updates to the integrated systems management processor firmware.
The integrated systems management processor supports upgrading to Remote Supervisor Adapter II SlimLine for full out-of-band and in-band remote management.
Remote Supervisor Adapter II SlimLine features:
- Easy-to-use, Web-based management from standard Web browsers
- Multimode alerts including e-mail with log, paper, SNMP, and LAN
- Graphical console redirection; keyboard and mouse control
- Remote management in many cases, independent of the server status
- Support for virtual floppy which enables you to easily direct a remote host to boot and use standard instructions stored anywhere on the network
- Full remote control of hardware and graceful shutdown of operating system
- Remote update of the xSeries server and Remote Supervisor Adapter II slimline firmware
The IT administrator achieves comprehensive, virtual on-site control of xSeries servers through the ability to remotely:
- Access the server in many cases regardless of the status
- Inventory and display detailed system and component information
- View server bootup during POST
- Browse and delete logs of events and errors
- Reset or power cycle the server
- Run diagnostics, SCSI, and RAID setup during POST
- Monitor thresholds on server health, including:
- Operating system load
- POST time-out
- Set proactive alerts for critical server events including PFA on:
- Fans (when Remote Supervisor Adapter II Slimline is installed)
- Power supplies
- HDDs (when ServeRAID 8k is installed)
- Define automated actions, such as:
- Send e-mail or page to an administrator
- Execute a command or program
- Pop-up an error message to the director console
- Manage flash BIOS
- Monitor and graph the utilization of server resources, such as:
- Identify potential performance bottlenecks and react to prevent downtime
- Monitor, manage, and configure RAID subsystems without taking them off line
ACPI is an open industry specification that defines a flexible and extensible hardware interface for the system board. Software designers use this specification to integrate power management features throughout a computer system, including hardware, the operating system, and application software. This integration enables Windows to determine which applications are active, and handle all of the power management resources for computer subsystems and peripherals.
The x3650 server tools and programs can make ownership a positive experience. From the start, IBM programs help you purchase servers, get them running, and keep them running. IBM can help your company maintain ownership of technology leadership network servers.
- IBM on-site, three-year limited warranty with next-business-day (NBD) service (same-business-day service optionally available) helps protect your investment if a problem occurs. This service also includes replacement of parts identified through PFA.
- The ServerProven program lets you confidently configure your server with various devices and operating systems. This Web-based program provides compatibility information from actual testing of the System x3650 server server with various adapters and devices.
- The ServerGuide CD includes utilities and drivers for assisted loading of popular network operating systems.
- Electronic support on the Web offers additional support in an easy-to-use format
This two-socket, multi-core capable server is positioned between the System x 336 and System x 366 servers.
The 2U System x3650 server offers more PCI adapter expansion than the 1U-high System x 336 server. The System x 366 server supports up to four Intel(r) Xeon (tm) processors MP, driving large memory configurations, and requires 3U of rack space.
This high-density, highly integrated server is designed for customer installation of features to handle future expansion to meet changing needs. At the same time, it can handle emerging applications that require maximum computing power and function in the least amount of rack space.
- E-commerce and e-business
- Application serving
- Web serving
- Messaging and collaboration applications
- Proprietary applications
This powerful server also meets traditional enterprise network server requirements, but with an added benefit of requiring less space.
Order Description Machine Model Number EAN Number ----------------------------- ------- ----- ------- --------------- IBM System x3650 7979 A1G 7979A1G 50-51045-00227-1 7979 C1G 7979C1G 50-51045-00228-8 Order Option Description Number ------------------------------------------ ------- ---------------- Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processor E5310 43W5821 50-51045-00065-9 (1.60GHz 1066MHz 8MB L2 Cache) Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processor E5320 43W5822 50-51045-00066-6 (1.86GHz 1066MHz 8MB L2 Cache) IBM GoVault Rack Optimized Bundle 41Y8976 50-50689-95676-6 Model conversions None Feature conversions None Memory Hard Disk/ Total Xeon L2 ECC PCI RAID Opt Slots Sys Model Processor Cache SCSI Cntrl Video ical /Bays Mgt ----- ---------- ----- ------ ---------- ----- --- ----- --- A1G 1.60 GHz 8 MB 1 GB None/ SVAG 8x 4/7 Std. 1066 MHz HS SAS C1G 1.86 GHz 8 MB 1 GB None/ SVAG 8x 4/7 Std. 1066 MHz HS SAS
Order Description Number EAN Number -------------------------------------- ------- --------------- IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB Arabic 40K9585 50-50689-87941-6 IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB Arabic / French 42C0101 50-50689-87942-3 IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB Belgium / French 42C0102 50-50689-87936-2 IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB Belgium / UK 42C0103 50-50689-87937-9 IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB Bulgarian 42C0105 50-50689-87939-3 IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB Czech 42C0107 50-50689-87944-7 IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB Danish 42C0109 50-50689-87946-1 IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB Dutch 42C0110 50-50689-87947-8 IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB French 42C0111 50-50689-87948-5 IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB German 42C0114 50-50689-87951-5 IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB Greek 42C0115 50-50689-87952-2 IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB Hebrew 42C0116 50-50689-87953-9 IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB Hungarian 42C0117 50-50689-87954-6 IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB Iceland 42C0118 50-50689-87955-3 IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB Italy 42C0119 50-50689-87956-0 IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB Norway 42C0123 50-50689-87960-7 IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB Poland 42C0124 50-50689-87961-4 IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB Portugal 42C0125 50-50689-87962-1 IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB Romania 42C0126 50-50689-87963-8 IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB Russian / Cyrillic 42C0128 50-50689-87965-2 IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB Serbian / Cyrillic 42C0129 50-50689-87966-9 IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB Slovak 42C0130 50-50689-87967-6 IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB Swedish / Finnish 42C0131 50-50689-87968-3 IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB Swiss F/G 42C0132 50-50689-87969-0 IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB UK English 42C0133 50-50689-87970-6 IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB US Euro 42C0137 50-50689-87974-4 IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB Turkish 440 42C0138 50-50689-87975-1 IBM Enhanced Performance Keyboard - USB Turkish 179 42C0139 50-50689-87976-8 Power Cords European 10A C13 to CEE 7/7 2.8M Power Cord Option 39Y7917 50-50689-85276-1 Denmark 10A C13 to DK2-5A 2.8M Power Cord Option 39Y7918 50-50689-85277-8 Switzerland 10A C13 to SEV 1011 2.8M Power Cord Option 39Y7919 50-50689-85280-8 Isreal 10A C13 to SI 32 2.8M Power Cord Option 39Y7920 50-50689-85282-2 Italy 10A C13 to CEE 7/7 2.8M Power Cord Option 39Y7921 50-50689-85281-5 South Africa 10A C13 to SABS 164/1 2.8M Power Cord Option 39Y7922 50-50689-85278-5 United Kingdom 10A C13 to BS 1363 2.8M Power Cord Option 39Y7923 50-50689-85279-2 Universal Jumper Cord - 1.5 m 39Y7937 50-50689-85287-7 IEC C13 to C20 2.5M Power Jumper Cord Option 39Y7938 50-50689-85290-7
The following publications and CD-ROMs are shipped with the x3650 server:
- The x3650 Installation Guide
contains an introduction to the computer, installation and setup,
installing options, reference information, and problem determination.
The installation guide has easy-to-use text and
pictorials to enable you to quickly set up the System x3650 server servers.
- The ServerGuide contains utilities and drivers to support the x3650 servers. In addition, it includes a set of easy-to-use utilities for assisted installation via CD of several popular network operating systems.
- IBM Director systems management software is included.
Note: Software versions, features, and functions shipped with these systems may change, as new releases become available or discontinued at any time.
x3650 Installation Guide and Problem Determination and Service Guide, in U.S. English versions, are available from
Click Servers, then Server Family, and then Online Publications.
The IBM Publications Center Portal
The Publications Center is a worldwide central repository for IBM
product publications and marketing material with a catalog of 70,000
items. Extensive search facilities are provided, as well as payment
options, via credit card. A large number of publications
are available online in various file formats, which can currently be
downloaded free of charge.
The following publication is available immediately.
Order Part Title number number ----------------------------- ------------ ----------- System x3650 Installation Guide 31R1158 System x3650 User Guide 31R1159 Problem Determination and Service Guide 31R1161
Displayable softcopy publications
The product books are offered in displayable softcopy form. All books are included. The displayable manuals are part of the basic machine-readable material. The files are shipped on DVD-ROM.
Terms and conditions for use of the machine-readable files are shipped with the files.
Source file publications
The product books are offered in source file form.
IBM services include business consulting, outsourcing, hosting services, applications, and other technology management.
These services help you learn about, plan, install, manage, or optimize your IT infrastructure to be an On Demand Business. They can help you integrate your high-speed networks, storage systems, application servers, wireless protocols, and an array of platforms, middleware, and communications software for IBM and many non-IBM offerings. IBM is your one-stop shop for IT support needs.
For details on available services, contact your IBM representative or visit
For details on available IBM Business Continuity and Recovery Services, contact your IBM representative or visit
For details on education offerings related to specific products, visit
Select your country, and then select the product as the category.
The x3650: 7979-A1G 7979-C1G -------------- -------------- Processor Xeon Quad-Core Xeon Quad-Core Internal speed 1.60 GHz 1.86 GHz External speed 1066 MHz 1066 MHz Number standard 1 1 Maximum 2 2 L2 cache (full-speed) 8 MB 8 MB Memory 1 GB ECC 2 GB ECC RDIMMs 2x512 MB 2x 1 GB DIMM sockets 12 12 Capacity (15) 48 GB 48 GB Video SVGA SVGA memory 16 MB 16 MB SCSI controller SAS SAS Channels 2 2 Connector internal 1 1 Connector external 1 1 RAID controller 2 2 Channels 2 2 Connector internal 1 1 Connector external 1 1 HDD open-bay open-bay Total bays 7 7 5.25 slim 1 1 3.5-in tape 0 0 Hot-swap 6 or 4(10) 6 or 4(10) Internal capacity 1.8 TB(11) 1.8 TB(11) Bays available 6 6 5.25 slim 0 0 3.5-in tape 0 0 Hot-swap 6 (10) 6 (10) Total PCI slots 4 4 PCI_E (x4 LP) 2 2 PCI_E (x8)(11) 2 2 64-bit/133 MHz (11) 2 2 System management Standard Standard Ethernet controller Two Gb Two Gb CD-R/CD-RW DVD drive 8x-24x 8x-24x Power supply 835 W 835 W Number standard 1 1 Maximum 2 2 Hot-swap Yes Yes Redundant power Yes Yes Auto restart Yes Yes
(10) The system can hold six 3.5-inch HS HDDs, (11) Capacities are based on installation of six 300 GB slim-high, SAS HDDs. (13) PCI_E is standard feature for PCI or you may replace with PCI Riser Card PCI-X Option for PCI/PCI-X 133 MHz/100 MHz 64-bit, or 66/33 MHz/32 bit slots (14) For latest information on supported HDD options, refer to the Sales Manual or visit http://www.ibm.com/servers/eserver/serverproven/compat/us/ (15) Maximum of 48 GB by using twelve 4 GB DIMMs. However, actual usable memory size for the OS will be less than the total installed DIMM size.
- Formatted capacity: 650 MB
- Average access time: 120 ms
- Burst data transfer rate - 16.6 MB/s (ATA PIO Mode 4)
- Technology: Full constant angular velocity (CAV)
- Buffer size: 2 MB
- ATI RN50 video controller
- Integrated on planar and connected to the PCI bus
- 16 MB of embedded DDR1 video memory
- 128-bit graphics engine with 8, 16, and 32 bpp mode acceleration
- 32 bpp (4G colors/true color) support
- Integrated 230 MHz RAMDAC
- Display Data Channel Bi-Directional (DDC2B) monitor communications support
Supported video mode capabilities for the SVGA PCI controller:
Microsoft(R) Windows 2000 and Windows(R) 2003 ---------------------------------------------- Refresh Resolution Colors Rate (Hz) 640 x 480 x 8 256 60, 72, 75, 85 640 x 480 x 16 64K 60, 72, 75, 85 640 x 480 x 32 16 million 60, 72, 75, 85 800 x 600 x 8 256 60, 72, 75, 85 800 x 600 x 16 64K 60, 72, 75, 85 800 x 600 x 32 16 million 60, 72, 75, 85 1024 x 768 x 8 256 60, 70, 75, 85 1024 x 768 x 16 64K 60, 70, 75, 85 1024 x 768 x 32 16 million 60, 70, 75, 85 Notes The maximum resolution of the local monitor is limited to 1024 x 768 by the remote video capability of RSA-II SlimLine. NetWare and SCO drivers are contained in the respective operating system packages or bulletin boards.
2U Rack Drawer - Width: 443.6 mm (17.5 in) - Depth: 698.0 mm (27.5 in) - Height: 85.4 mm (3.36 in) Rack: - Weight: (minimum configuration) 21.1 kg (46.5 lb) - Weight: (maximum configuration) 29.6 kg (65 lb)
o Approximate Shipping dimensions and weight: Single Pack Dimensions L 35.0 x W 23.5 x H 14.5 in (889 x 597 x 368 mm) Single Pack Weight 75 lbs (32 kg) Quantity per Pallet 6 Pallet Load Dimensions 48 x 40 x 50 in (1219 x 1016 x 1270 mm) Pallet Load Weight 560 lbs (240 kg) Estimated Safe Stacking 4 high
100 to 127 (nominal) V ac; 50 Hz or 60 Hz; 10 A 200 to 240 (nominal) V ac; 50 Hz or 60 Hz; 5 A Input kilovolt-amperes (kVA) (approximately): 1 kVA Minimum configuration: 0.325 kVA Maximum configuration: 1 kVA Btu output: Ship configuration: 1108 Btu/hr (325 watts) Full configuration: 3308 Btu/hr (970 watts)
Noise level (horizontal position): 6.8 bels (operating)
Note: The noise emission level stated is the declared (upper limit) sound power level, in bels, for a random sample of machines. All measurements made in accordance with ISO 7779 and reported in conformance with ISO 9296.
x3650 servers are intended for use as rack-drawer servers and are tested and designed to operate in a horizontal position.
These systems support or comply with the following standards:
- Multiprocessor Specification (MPS) 1.4
- Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) specification 2.3
- PCI-X specification V1.0a
- Hardware-enabled to meet the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 9241, Part 3
- CE Mark (EN55022 Class A, EN60950, and EN55241)
- CISPR 22, Class A
- TUV-GS (EN60950/IEC950/ZH-618)
- Russia GSTD-R
- FCC - Verified to comply with Part 15 of the FCC Rules (Class A) prior to product delivery
- IEC 60950 (CB Certificate and CB Test Report)
o Temperature: - Server on - 10.0 to 35.0 degrees C (50 to 95 degrees F) at 0 to 914.4 m (0 to 3,000 ft) - Decrease system temperature by 0.75 deg C for every 1000 feet increase in altitude. o Temperature: - Server off - 10 to 43 deg C (50.0 to 109.4 deg F) o Temperature: - Shipment: -40 to 60 deg C (-40 to 140 deg F) o Relative humidity: 8% to 80% o Maximum altitude: 2,133 m (7,000 ft)
The System x3650 server systems are enterprise LAN servers using industry- standard architectures. They contain 64-bit PCI_Express or 64-bit PCI-X bus architectures:
- A 64-bit PCI_Express bus supports data transfer rates of up to 132 MB/s and runs at 133 MHz clock speeds.
- A 64-bit PCI-X bus supports data transfer rates of up to 1066 MB/s running at 133 MHz and 800 MB/s running at 100 MHz clock speed.
These rack-optimized platforms contain either a 1.60 GHz/1066 MHz, or a 1.86 GHz/1066 MHz,(1) Xeon quad-core processor running with 1066 MHz (quad pumped 266 MHz) front-side-bus with Enhanced Intel Speedway (EIS) technologies that allow for more efficient program execution in four-core applications and advanced transfer (full speed) 8 MB L2 cache, each processor has dual core 2 x 4 MB L2 cache
Additional standard features include 1 GB of PC2-5300 DDR2 ECC SDRAM system memory or 2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 ECC system memory, two Broadcom 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet chips, with TOE, and two SAS SCSI controllers, an systems management processor, an SVGA video controller with 16 MB of video memory, 8x-24x CD-R/CD-RW/DVD combo drive
Model Xeon Processor Memory HDD Interface Mechanical -------- ----------------- ------ ---- --------- --------- 7979-A1G 1.60 GHz/1066 MHz - 1 GB ECC Open-bay SAS 3.5-inch Rack 2 x 4 MB L2 cache 7979-C1G 1.86 GHz/1066 MHz - 2 GB ECC Open-bay SAS 3.5-inch Rack 2 x 4 MB L2 cache
- The System x3650 server can be upgraded to eight-core by adding a second processor of the same type, speed, and cache size.
- System memory can be expanded to 48 GB by installing a 4 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 ECC SDRAM DIMM option in each of the memory DIMM sockets
- These models contain six 3.5-inch hot-swap bays and are shipped without HDDs to allow customers or remarketers to configure the server to meet various storage requirements depending upon the application.
The System x3650 server provides six storage expansion bays and four expansion slots. It supports up to two hot-swap power supplies. A single 835-watt hot-swap power supply with auto restart capability is standard. By adding optionally available xSeries 835 W Hot-Swap Power Supply Upgrade, n+n redundancy can be obtained.
- The seven bay model consist of six, 3.5-inch slim high, hot-swap drive bays, and a 5.25-inch, slim-high bay with 8x-24x CD-R/CD-RW/DVD combo drive
- System x3650 server contains four, wide-bandwidth, expansion slots which can be
used as PCI-Express or PCI-X expansion slots:
- PCI-Express is standard
- Two PCI-Express low-profile card slots
- Two PCI-X 133 MHz/64-bit (or two PCI Express card slots), one full and one half length.
The System x3650 server standard features include:
- 1066 MHz front-side bus Xeon(tm) processor with integrated 8 MB ECC advanced transfer L2 cache, each processor comes with quad-core with 2 x 4 MB L2 cache
- Second socket for additional quad-core processor
- Memory subsystem consists of PC2-5300 DDR2 ECC SDRAM DIMMs with ECC Chipkill memory for error correction
- An SVGA controller with 16 MB video memory
- An integrated systems management processor
- 64-bit, SAS SCSI controllers
- Two Broadcom 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet controller chips
- A 8x-24x CD-R/CD-RW/DVD combo drive
- One 835-watt voltage-sensing, worldwide power supply
- Time of Day clock and battery
- Standard Device Ports/Connectors:
- Keyboard - Pointing Device - SVGA port - Two Ethernet port using RJ-45 connector - One external SCSI port - One high speed serial/asynchronous port, (NS16550A compatible) - Three USB ports - Systems management processor ports (only function when RSA II SlimLine option installed) (1) The Xeon(tm) GHz speed is the internal processor speed. External processor operations to system memory run at 1066 MHz.
For attended installation of an operating system, this server requires a compatible:
- Display (E51, E54, P76, G78, LCD, or equivalent)
Unattended or remote installation may be performed without requiring some or all of these components. Review your unattended software installation program information for specific hardware configuration requirements.
For service, the server requires a compatible:
- Display (E51, E54, P76, G78, LCD, or equivalent)
The following network operating systems are supported on the x3650 server:
o Microsoft - Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition - Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition - Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition - Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition - Windows Server 2003, Web Edition - Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition - Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 Edition - Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition - Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition - Windows 2000 Advanced Server - Windows 2000 Server o Novell - NetWare 6.5 o Linux - SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 - Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4AS - Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4ES - Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.0 for AMD64 and Intel EM64T Note. Certification is planned for all supported operating systems.
Note: For information on additional support, certification, and versions, visit
The following network operating systems are supported as preloads in the System x3650 server:
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9,
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES 4 AS
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES 4
The x3650 systems contain licensed system programs that include set configuration, set features, and test programs. System BIOS is loaded from a "flash" EEPROM into system memory. This BIOS provides instructions and interfaces designed to support the standard features of the x3650 and to maintain compatibility with many current software programs.
Contact your IBM representative, IBM Business Partner, or refer to the IBM Sales Manual for information on the compatibility of hardware and software for System servers. The Sales Manual is updated periodically as new features and options are announced that support these servers.
- The x3650 server supports a maximum of 48 GB of system memory by adding a 4 GB Advance Memory Features DIMM in each of the twelve DIMM slots. All supported system memory is addressable through direct memory access. The server supports 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB, and 4 GB PC2-5300 Advanced Memory Features DIMMs. DIMMs must be installed in matched pairs. Refer to the Planning information section for supported memory options.
- Microprocessor upgrades must be of the same type and clock speed. Mixing microprocessors of different speeds or cache size is not supported.
- Use the version of ServerGuide shipped with the system, or a later version, to load software and drivers. Earlier versions of ServerGuide cannot be used with the server.
Refer to the Software requirements section for operating system limitations.
This announcement satisfies or partially satisfies the requirements from one or more of the worldwide user group communities. Groups include COMMON, COMMON Europe, Guide Share Europe (GSE), InterAction (Australia/New Zealand), Japan Guide Share (JGS), and SHARE Inc.
The System x3650 server server is designated as customer setup. Customer setup instructions are shipped with each system.
Integrated RAID one Configuration There are two manufacturing instructions (MI) available to allow the customer to setup a RAID one(1) configuration. These instructions enable configuration via Odyssey (ibm.com).
The two instructions are:
- Integrated Mirroring - Two HDDs required via Instruction 01R1356
- Integrated Mirroring with HotSpare - Three HDDs required via Instruction 01R1357
The x3650 server 3.5-inch models contains seven bays. The lower left bay on the system contains the slim-high CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive. Six slim-high, hot-swap bays at right on the server are ready for various supported hot-swap HDD drive options installation.
The 8x-24x CD-R/CD-RW DVD drive is connected to the IDE port through an interposer card.
Cabling -- Standard Non-RAID Configurations
The System x3650 server server contains a DASD backplane supporting hot-swap, SAS compliant drive bays. The backplane is connected to the one internal connector of the integrated SAS SCSI controller through a cable. One external SAS connector is for external use.
System x3650 server 2 U rack-drawer models are designed to be installed in a 19-inch rack cabinet designed for 28-inch deep devices, such as the NetBAY42U ER and NetBAY42U SR. Installation into some of the older Netfinity racks (9306900, 9306910, 9306200) requires a rack extension kit.
If a System x3650 is mounted in a non-IBM rack, the rack must satisfy the following specifications:
- The rack must meet EIA-310-D standards for mounting flanges and hole locations.
- The front to rear distance of the mounting flanges must be between 698.5 mm and 762 mm (27.5 and 30 inches).
- The thickness of the mounting flanges must be between 1.9-3.3 mm.
- The mounting flanges must have either 7.1-mm (.28-inch) diameter holes or 9.6-mm (.38-inch) square holes on the standard EIA hole spacing.
- The rack must have a minimum depth of 70 mm (2.76 inch) between the front mounting flange and inside of the front door for appropriate cooling.
- The rack must have a minimum depth of 157 mm (6.2 inch) between the rear mounting flange and inside of the rear door to install the server and make space for cable management.
- The minimum side-to-side clearance in the rack between the front and rear mounting flanges must be 467 mm (18.2 inch) to accommodate the width of the server and the slide mounting brackets.
- The minimum side-to-side clearance in the rack between each door and the mounting flanges must be 484 mm (19.1 inch) to accommodate the slide mounting brackets.
- The rack must include perforated front and rear doors and must not prevent the flow of cool air into or out of the rack.
- The weight-handling capacity of the rack must be able to support the maximum rack configuration, including all servers, external cables, and PDUs.
- The rack must provide proper stabilization so that the rack does not become unstable when servers are pulled out for service.
Processor upgrade options
- Quad-core Intel Xeon Processor E5310 1.60 GHz/1066 MHz FSB 2 x 4 MB (8MB) L2 Cache - 43W5821
- Quad-core Intel Xeon Processor E5320 1.86 GHz/1066 MHz FSB 2 x 4 MB (8MB) L2 Cache - 43W5822
Supported memory options
The following memory options are supported:
- IBM 1GB PC2-5300 AMF - (39M5782) (2 x 512 MB AMF)
- IBM 2GB PC2-5300 AMF - (39M5785) (2 x 1 GB AMF)
- IBM 4GB PC2-5300 AMF - (39M5791) (2 x 2 GB AMF)
- IBM 8GB PC2-5300 AMF - (39M5797) (2 x 4 GB AMF)
The System x3650 server server includes a standard 835-watt hot-swap power supply. This power supply supplies sufficient power to run the server. An System x3650 835-watt hot-swap power supply upgrade is optionally available to support redundancy.
Two 10/100/1000 Mbps, full-duplex Ethernet PCI controllers, standard with the System x3650 server server, are connected directly to an independent RJ-45 connector. The RJ-45 connector provides a 10BaseT, 100Base-TX, and 1000Base-TX interface for connecting twisted-pair cable to the Ethernet network. Cabling is not included with the server. To connect the Ethernet controller to a repeater or switch, use an unshielded twisted pair (UTP) cable with RJ-45 connectors at both ends. For 100/1000 Mbps operation, Category 5 cabling must be used. For 10 Mbps operation, Category 3, or better, cabling must be used.
There are no additional cabling requirements, other than for system power, keyboard, mouse, and monitor connections.
The System x3650 server server requires about 20 minutes for installation. Installation includes unpacking, setting up, and powering on the system. Additional time is required to install an operating system, additional adapters, or features.
Product Package description Boxes ----------------- ----------------------------------------------- System x3650 System unit carton 1 Contents: ------------------- System unit Rack kit System x3650 System unit carton 1 server Contents: ------------------- System unit power cord (1) PDU style power cord (1) System x3650 Installation Guide Safety booklet ServerGuide and IBM Director CD-ROM package Media mounting kit On/off switch cover(1)
The System x3650 server system is shipped as a single package. Other items are in zipped bags or boxes.
- xSeries 835-watt hot-swap power supply
- Five fans
- C13/14 rack jumper cord
- Safety instructions/warranty
For end users:
IBM System x3650 can be purchased through dealers around the world.
Security and auditability features include:
- Power-on and privileged access password functions control access to the data and server setup program on the server.
- Set unattended boot mode allows the system keyboard to be locked to all entries except the password and at the same time allows other computers on the network to access the system disk drive.
- Selectable boot sequence can be used to prevent unauthorized installation of software or removal of data from the diskette drive.
It is a customer's responsibility to ensure that the server is secure to prevent sensitive data from being removed.
The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security features, administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and communications facilities.
Please contact your IBM representative for the list of selected services available in your country, either as standard or customized offerings for the efficient installation, implementation and/or integration of this product.
- System hardware - Three years
- Optional features - One year
Optional IBM features initially installed in an IBM system carry the same warranty and warranty service support category as the system. If installed after the initial system installation, they carry the balance of the system warranty or the optional feature warranty, whichever greater.
If required, IBM provides repair or exchange service depending on the type of warranty service specified below for the Machine. IBM will attempt to resolve your problem over the telephone or electronically by access to an IBM website. You must follow the problem determination and resolution procedures that IBM specifies. Scheduling of service will depend upon the time of your call and is subject to parts availability. Service levels are response time objectives and are not guaranteed. The specified level of warranty service may not be available in all worldwide locations, additional charges may apply outside IBM's normal service area, contact your local IBM representative or your reseller for country and location specific information.
Customer Replaceable Unit ("CRU") (for example, keyboard, mouse, speaker, memory, hard disk drive) Service and On-site Service for other selected parts.
IBM provides replacement CRUs to you for you to install. CRU information and replacement instructions are shipped with your machine and are available from IBM at any time on your request. CRUs are designated as being either a Tier 1 or a Tier 2 CRU. Installation of Tier 1 CRUs is your responsibility. If IBM installs a Tier 1 CRU, at your request, you will be charged for the installation. You may install a Tier 2 CRU yours or request IBM to install it, at no additional charge under the type of warranty service specified below, On-site Service.
Based upon availability, CRUs will be shipped for next business day deli IBM specifies in the materials shipped with a replacement CRU whether a defective CRU must be returned to IBM. When return is required, 1) retur instructions and a container are shipped with the replacement CRU, and 2 may be charged for the replacement CRU if IBM does not receive the defec CRU within 30 days of your receipt of the replacement.
The following parts have been designated as Tier 1 CRUs:
- System service label
- Rack kit
- DVD/CDRW combo
- Tray, media
- Rear panel, card/cable asm
- Management module
- Fan pack
- Power supply
- Line cord
- Cable, serial port breakout
IBM On-site Repair (IOR), 9 hours per day, Monday through Friday excluding holidays, next business day response. IBM will repair the failing Machine at your location and verify its operation. You must provide suitable working area to allow disassembly and reassembly of the IBM Machine. The area must be clean, well lit and suitable for the purpose. On-site service is not available in all countries, and some countries have kilometer or mileage limitations from an IBM service center. In those locations where on-site service is not available, the normal in-county service delivery is used.
International Warranty Service (IWS) is available during the warranty period to customers who travel or relocate to countries where their computer is sold and serviced by IBM or IBM resellers authorized to perform warranty service. Eligible IBM computers are identified by their four-digit machine type.
You can obtain IWS through the method of service, such as CRU, depot, carry-in or on-site, provided in the servicing country. Service methods and procedures vary by country, and some service or parts may not be available in all countries. Service centers in certain countries may not be able to service all models of a particular machine type. In addition, some countries may have fees and restrictions that apply at the time of service.
To determine the eligibility of your computer and to view a list of countries where service is available, visit
NOTE: Due to the earth's magnetic field, cathode ray tube (CRT) monitors are manufactured to work in northern, southern and equatorial regions of the earth and may not produce a satisfactory image when moved between them. Any required adjustment (if possible) is not covered under IWS and may be subject to a chargeable action. The magnetic field does not affect flat panel LCD monitors.
Programs included with this product are licensed under the terms and conditions of the License Agreements that are shipped with the system.
SERVICEPAC SERVICE UPGRADES The announced products are also eligible for ServicePac warranty upgrades. ServicePacs provide a higher level of service than that provided under the base IBM Machine Warranty. ServicePacs can be purchased from your IBM Business Partner and are specific to the machines/products listed. ServicePac Offering PC No Part Number ------------------------------------------------------------------ 3yr On-site Repair PC628 e-ServicePac - 12X6604 9hr x 5 days 4hr Resp Target 3yr On-site Repair PC629 e-ServicePac - 12X6605 24hr x 7 days 4hr Resp Target 4yr On-site Repair PC630 e-ServicePac - 12X6606 9hr x 5 days 4hr Resp Target 4yr On-site Repair PC631 e-ServicePac - 12X6607 24hr x 7 days 4hr Resp Target 5yr On-site Repair PC632 e-ServicePac - 12X6608 9hr x 5 days 4hr Resp Target 5yr On-site Repair PC633 e-ServicePac - 12X6609 24hr x 7 days 4hr Resp Target ANNOUNCEMENT COUNTRIES FOR SERVICEPACS Announcement is restricted to the following countries: e-ServicePac Austria Belgium Bulgaria Croatia Czech Rep Denmark Finland France* Germany Greece Hungary Ireland Israel Italy Luxembourg Netherlands Norway Poland Portugal Romania Russia S.Africa Slovakia Slovenia Spain Sweden Switzerland Turkey UK** *Except overseas Territories **UK mainland Only IBM Announcement Letter No. ZS06-0105 dated February 17, 2006. See final section for details of availability and limitations, if applicable. MAINTENANCE The products in this document are also covered by Maintenance Agreements and ServiceSuite contracts.
NLS support is provided for many of the System x3650 server components in the following languages: U.S. English, Worldwide English (U.K.), French, German, Italian, Spanish, and Japanese.
The NLS support includes national language keyboard support, multi-lingual nomenclature, and translated documentation as required by the individual countries.
Customer setup: customers are responsible for installation according to the instructions IBM provides with the Machine.
For all local charges, contact your IBM Representative.
IBM Global Financing: IBM Global Financing offers competitive financing to credit-qualified customers to assist them in acquiring IT solutions. Our offerings include financing for IT acquisition, including hardware, software, and services, both from IBM and other manufacturers or vendors. Offerings (for all customer segments: small, medium, and large enterprise), rates, terms, and availability can vary by country. Contact your local IBM Global Financing organization or visit the Web at
IBM Global Financing offerings are provided through IBM Credit LLC in the United States and other IBM subsidiaries and divisions worldwide to qualified commercial and government customers. Rates are based on a customer's credit rating, financing terms, offering type, equipment type, and options, and may vary by country. Other restrictions may apply. Rates and offerings are subject to change, extension, or withdrawal without notice. Financing solutions from IBM Global Financing can help you stretch your budget and affordably acquire the new product. But beyond the initial acquisition, our end-to-end approach to IT management can also help keep your technologies current, reduce costs, minimize risk, and preserve your ability to make flexible equipment decisions throughout the entire technology life cycle. For more financing information, please visit
IBM Global Services has transformed its delivery of hardware and software support services to put you on the road to higher systems availability. IBM Electronic Services is a Web-enabled solution that provides you with an exclusive, no-additional-charge enhancement to the service and support available on the IBM eServer platform. These services provide the opportunity for greater system availability due to faster problem resolution and preemptive monitoring. IBM Electronic Services is comprised of two separate, but complementary, elements: IBM Electronic Services news page and IBM Electronic Service Agent.
IBM Electronic Services news page provides you with a single Internet entry point that replaces the multiple entry points traditionally used by customers to access IBM Internet services and support. The news page enables you to gain easier access to IBM resources for assistance in resolving technical problems.
The IBM Electronic Service Agent is no-additional-charge software that resides on your IBM eServer system. It is designed to proactively monitor events and transmit system inventory information to IBM on a periodic, customer-defined timetable. The IBM Electronic Service Agent tracks system inventory, hardware error logs, and performance information. If the server is under a current IBM maintenance service agreement or within the IBM warranty period, the Service Agent automatically reports hardware problems to IBM. Early knowledge about potential problems enables IBM to provide proactive service that may result in higher system availability and performance. In addition, information collected through the Service Agent will be made available to IBM service support representatives when they are helping answer your questions or diagnosing problems.
To learn how IBM Electronic Services can work for you, visit
The IBM(R) System x3650 server server (models -A1G,-C1G,) is designed to maintain compatibility with the following IBM products. As a part of the ServerProven program, server compatibility listings are updated on the World Wide Web. Detailed information relative to IBM and non-IBM vendor devices, adapters, software and network operating systems supported with System x servers can be accessed via the Web by entering URL:
List of Products Supported HARDWARE OPTIONS Part Description Number System Memory IBM 1GB PC2-5300 AMF - (2 x 512 MB AMF) 39M5782 IBM 2GB PC2-5300 AMF - (2 x 1 GB AMF) 39M5785 IBM 4GB PC2-5300 AMF - (2 x 2 GB AMF) 39M5791 IBM 8GB PC2-5300 AMF - (2 x 4 GB AMF) 39M5797 System Processors Intel Xeon Processor E5310 1.60 GHz/1066 MHz 43W5821 FSB 2 x 4MB L2 Cache Intel Xeon Processor E5320 1.86 GHz/1066 MHz 43W5822 FSB 2 x 4MB L2 Cache PCI-Express/PCI-X riser options PCI Riser Card PCI-Express Option 40K1907 PCI Riser Card PCI-X Option 40K1908 Fixed Disks / Diskette Drives / Storage IBM 73.4 GB 10K-rpm SAS HS 3.5" (MM carrier) HDD 40K1039 IBM 146.4 GB 10K-rpm SAS HS 3.5" (MM carrier) HDD 40K1040 IBM 300 GB 10K-rpm SAS HS 3.5" (MM carrier) HDD (US P/N 40K1041) IBM 36.4 GB 15K-rpm SAS HS 3.5" (MM carrier) HDD 40K1042 IBM 73.4 GB 15K-rpm SAS HS 3.5" (MM carrier) HDD 40K1043 IBM 146.4 GB 15K-rpm SAS HS 3.5" (MM carrier) HDD 40K1044 IBM 36.4 GB 10K-rpm SAS SFF HS 2.5" (SFF tray) HDD 40K1051 IBM 73.4 GB 10K-rpm SAS SFF HS 2.5" (SFF tray) HDD 40K1052 IBM Ultra320 SCSI Controller 39R8743 IBM ServerRaid 6M Ultra320 SCSI Controller (256MB Cache) 02R0988 IBM ServerRaid 6M Ultra320 SCSI Controller (128MB Cache) 32P0033 ServeRAID-8k Adapter 25R8064 IBM FAST FC2-133 Host Bus Adapter (w) 24P0960 IBM EXP400 Storage Expansion Unit(**) (w) 17331RU IBM EXP400 Storage Expansion Unit(**) (EMEA) (w) 17331RX IBM FAStTEXP200 Storage Expansion Unit(**) 35421RU IBM FAStTEXP200 Storage Expansion Unit(**) (EMEA) 35421RX IBM FAStTEXP200 Redundant Raid Controller 19K1121 IBM FAStTEXP200 HA Storage Server(**) 35422RU IBM FAStTEXP200 HA Storage Server(**) (EMEA) 35422RX IBM FAStT700 Storage Server 17421RU IBM FAStT700 Storage Server (EMEA) 17421RX IBM FAStT700 Mini Hub 19K1269 (**) Must be attached to a supported adapter. Communications NetXtreme II 1000 Express Ethernet Adapter (US P/N 39Y6066) NetXtreme 1000 T + Ethernet Adapter 39Y6079 NetXtreme 1000 SX + Fiber Ethernet Adapter 39Y6088 NetXtreme 1000 TxG Dual Port Ethernet Adapter 39Y6093 PRO/1000 GT Server Adapter by Intel 39Y6105 PRO/1000 GT Dual Port Server Adapter by Intel 73P5101 PRO/1000 GT Quad Port Server Adapter by Intel 73P5201 MISCELLANEOUS CABLES LC-LC Fibre Channel Cable - 1M 19K1247 LC-LC Fibre Channel Cable - 5M 19K1248 LC-LC Fibre Channel Cable - 25M 19K1249 LC-SC Fibre Channel Cable Adapter 19K1250 Short Wave SFP Module 19K1271 Long Wave SPF Module 19K1272 Nefinity 2M Ultra2 SCSI Cable 03K9310 Nefinity 4.2M Ultra2 SCSI Cable 03K9311 USB to Serial Cable 10K3661 Monitors IBM E54 Color Monitor 6331 IBM E74 Color Monitor 6332 IBM NetBay 2U Flat Panel Display Console Kit w/Keyboard 32P1702 IBM NetBay 2U Flat Panel Display Console Kit w/o Keyboard 32P1703 IBM L150 ThinkVision 15" Flat Panel Moniitor 6636AB1 IBM L150p ThinkVision 15" Flat Panel Moniitor 6636HB1 IBM L170 ThinkVision 17" Flat Panel Moniitor 6734AB0 IBM L170p ThinkVision 17" Flat Panel Moniitor 6734HB0 IBM C170 ThinkVision 17" Monitor 673766N IBM 17 inch Flat Panel Display Console Kit w/US Keyoard 17231UX IBM 17 inch Flat Panel Display Console Kit w/o Keyboard17231NX Tape IBM 80/160 GB Half High VS160 Tape Drive 59P6745 VXA-2 Tape Drive 59P6746 IBM GoVault Rack Optimization Bundle 41Y8976 GoVault 80GB Cartridge 39M5617 IBM 1U xSeries Tape Enclosure Unit 45591UX IBM 4U Rackmount SCSI Tape Drive Enclosure 45594UX IBM 2U Full High Stand Alone SCSI Tape Enclosure 4559FHX Other Devices IBM Remote Supervisor Adapter II Slimline 39Y9566 NetBAY42 Enterprise Rack Cabinet 93084RX NetBAY42 Enterprise Expansion Rack Cabinet (EX) 93084XX NetBAY25 Standard Rack Cabinet 9306250 NetBay11 Standard Rack Cabinet 9306110 McData 4300 Fabric Switch (12-port) 2034212 Cisco MDS 9120 Multilayer Fabric Switch 2061020 Cisco MDS 9140 Multilayer Fabric Switch 2061040 IBM NetBAY 1 x 4 Console Switch 09N4290 IBM NetBAY 2 x 8 Console Switch 09N4291 NetBAY Local Console Manager (LCM) 1735L04 NetBAY Remote Console Manager (RCM) 1735R16 IBM USB Optical Wheel Mouse 06P4069 IBM Preferred Pro Full-size Keyboard 31P7415 IBM USB Keyboard with UltraNav 31P8950 Power/Distribution 835 Watt Hot-swap Power Supply Option (NA) 40K1906 xSeries 3650 Software Compatibility The following software products have been tested by IBM and software publishers in the latest available versions, and where appropriate, are or will soon be certified by the publisher to be compatible with the xSeries 346 OPERATING SYSTEMS Software Publisher Description ------------------ -------------------------------------------- o Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition Windows Server 2003, Web Edition Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 Edition Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition Windows 2000 Advanced Server Windows 2000 Server o Novell NetWare 6.5 o Linux Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 Advanced Server Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 Edge Server SUSE Linux Entreprise Server 9 Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.0 for AMD64 and Intel EM64T (*) Certification is planned for these operating systems. The following software is supported as preloads: Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES 4 Standard Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition Windows Server 2003
Note: Additional support, certification, and version information on network operating systems can be accessed at
All European, Middle Eastern and African Countries.
The data in this letter is subject to the disclaimer in Letter ZS90-0112, which is available from the same IBM announcement letters database.
This announcement is provided for your information only. For additional information, please contact your IBM Representative or IBM Business Partner as appropriate.