IBM eServer xSeries 460 servers -- XpandOnDemand with eServer x3 architecture
May 31, 2005
Announcement Letter Number: A05-0628
Document's Table of Contents:
- Product number
- At a glance
- Key prerequisites
- Product positioning
- Supplemental information
- Technical information
- Ordering information
- Terms and conditions
Models of the xSeries 460 server are powered with Intel® Xeon(TM) MP processors at up to 3.33 GHz / 8MB L3
The xSeries 460 server contains advanced technology that combines scalable SMP-capable power, Peripheral Component Interconnect-X (PCI-X) expansion, third-generation Enterprise X-Architecture(TM) (EXA), high availability, scalability and substantial internal data storage capacity.
With the power of third-generation Enterprise X-Architecture(TM) , the x460 establishes a new standard in the market for modular XpandOnDemand scalability from with:
- Increased performance
- Memory availability
- System manageability
- Simultaneous support for 32-bit and 64-bit applications with x86-64-bit extensions
The xSeries MXE-460 server is functionally identical to the xSeries 460 server and supports the same hardware configurations, however it is supported only as an expansion module to a base xSeries 460 and not in a stand-alone configuration. It comes configured with two empty 4-slot Memory Expansion Cards (13M7409) and two power supplies as standard, but without any processors, memory, disks or optical drive. A customer can configure the MXE-460 with the necessary processors and memory and then interconnect with the xSeries 460 server to create multinode configurations that consist of two, four or eight nodes for up to 32-way operation.
In addition to processors and memory, the 6 disk bays and 6 PCI-X I/O card slots in each chassis are accessible, allowing a customer to add up to a total of 48 hard disks and 48 I/O slots into a 32-way configuration, eliminating the need for an external I/O expansion enclosure. Priced lower than the xSeries 460 server, the MXE-460 allows economical expansion of a base 460 from 2 chassis to 8 chassis for scalability all the way to 32-way.
Power and scalability for e-business growth
- XA-64e(TM) third-generation Enterprise X-Architecture(TM) chipset powering XpandOnDemand(TM) up to 32-way
- Intel 64-bit Xeon MP, up to 3.33 GHz with 8MB L3 Cache processing
- x86 64-bit extensions (EM64T) support 32-bit or 64-bit applications on the same platform
- Active Memory(TM) with hot-swap support -- Memory ProteXion(TM) , memory mirroring, hot-swap and hot-add memory
- XceL4v(TM) Server Accelerator Cache delivers high performance with 256MB per chassis
- 2 GB of high-speed PC2-3200 double data rate (DDR2) memory; expandable to 512GB in a 32-way complex -- higher performance and capacity with DDR2 Memory for larger databases
- 6 x 64-bit Active(TM) PCI-X 2.0 266MHz slots per per x460/MXE-460 increases I/O bandwidth for higher performance and productivity
- Serial Attach SCSI (SAS) plus optional RAID maximize throughput, ease installation of RAID option card
- Six 2.5-inch SAS hard drives -- Up to 438GB of max internal storage per x460/MXE-460 for larger OS and applications
- High-performance integrated dual Gigabit Ethernet built-in high-speed networking with support for latest technologies
- Remote Supervisor Adapter II Slimline Standard -- the most advanced systems management available from IBM, supporting out-of-band systems management and remote POST, setup and diagnostics
- 3U rack-optimized, tool-free chassis strikes the balance between rack density and ease of maintenance
- Modular expansion with the 3U MXE-460 -- MXE modular expansion enclosure powers easy upgrades to 32-way
Third-generation Enterprise X-Architecture(TM) features for around-the-clock e-business
- Advanced third-generation Chipkill ECC memory controller to help correct single-, two-, three- and four-bit memory errors
- Memory ProteXion and memory mirroring support
- Active PCI slots, hot-add and hot-swap adapters
- Hot-swap drive bays and redundant fans to replace select components without powering down the server
- Two hot-swap, redundant power supplies
- Predictive Failure Analysis (PFA) on processors, memory, fans, power supply and HDD options to help warn of problems before they occur
- Innovative Light Path Diagnostics and top access design; easy to service and configure
Service and support perfected for e-business
- IBM Director
- Dynamic Systems Analysis
- ServerProven compatibility testing and Web support
- Three-year on-site(5) limited warranty(6)
The following are trade-marks or registered trade-marks of International Business Machines Corporation: IBM, Active PCI, Light Path Diagnostics, Netfinity, PartnerLink, Predictive Failure Analysis, ServerGuide, ServerProven, ServeRAID, Tivoli, XpandOnDemand and xSeries.
The following are trade-marks or registered trade-marks of the Microsoft Corporation: Microsoft and Windows.
Intel and Xeon are trade-marks or registered trade-marks of Intel Corporation.
Linux is a registered trade-mark of Linus Torvalds.
(**) Other company, product or service names, which may be denoted by a double asterisks, may be a trade-mark or service mark of others.
(1) Refer to the Planning information section for slot configuration information and restrictions. (2) When referring to hard drive or tape backup capacity, GB stands for one billion bytes. Total user capacity may vary depending on operating environments. (3) Actual playback speed will vary and is often less than the maximum possible. (4) GHz and MHz denote the internal and/or external clock speed of the microprocessor only, not application performance. Many factors affect application performance. (5) IBM sends a technician after attempting to diagnose and resolve the problem remotely. (6) For information on the IBM Statement of Limited Warranty, visit:
change without notice, consult the IBM Sales Manual or your IBM marketing representative or reseller, for the most current information regarding IBM products.
(c) Copyright International Business Machines Corporation, 2002. All rights reserved.
Planned Availability Date: - July 1, 2005 - up to 8-way support
Planned Availability Date: - 2nd Half 2005 - 16-way and 32-way support
NOTE: 32-way capability will not be available in AP
NOTE: US, LA and CAN and EMEA are GAV models
Order Description Machine Models Number -------------------- ---------- -------- ------ xSeries 460 8872 1RU 88721RU 8872 2RU 88722RU 8872 3RU 88723RU xSeries MXE-460 8874 1RU 88741RU
Part Description Number ------------------------------------- -------- xSeries 2.83GHz 667MHz 1MB L2 4MB L3 Cache 13N0715 Upgrade with Xeon Processor MP xSeries 3.00GHz 667MHz 1MB L2 8MB L3 Cache 13N0714 Upgrade with Xeon Processor MP xSeries 3.33GHz 667MHz 1MB L2 8MB L3 Cache 13N0713 Upgrade with Xeon Processor MP Scalability Cable - 2.3M 13M7414 Scalability Cable - 2.9M 13M7416 RAID 6 - SAS Primary Array 32R0736 - minimum of 4 HDDs required (MI) RAID 6 - SAS Secondary Array 32R0737 - minimum of 4 HDDs required (MI)IBM eServer xSeries 460
(TM) Trade-mark owned by International Business Machines Corporation and is used under license by IBM Canada Ltd.
® Registered trade-mark of International Business Machines Corporation and is used under license by IBM Canada Ltd.
(**) Company, product or service name may be a trade-mark or service mark of others.
New xSeries 460 servers incorporate high-performance Xeon MP processors:
- Intel Xeon MP up to 3.33GHz/8MB L3 Cache
- Up to 512GB of high-speed PC2-3200 ECC DDR2 SDRAM system memory
- Six Active 64-bit/266MHz Peripheral Component Interconnect-X (PCI-X 2.0) slots
- Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) controller
- Integrated Broadcom 5704 Dual-port 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
- Six 2.5 inch hot-swap bays for flexible installation of HDDs, supporting up to 440.4 GB(2) internal data storage
- Standard Remote Supervisor Adapter II Slimline, enabling remote, full-band systems management
- Two 1,300-watt, voltage sensing, hot-swap power supplies
- Standard DVD-ROM
- Three USB ports, SVGA video port, mouse port, two serial ports, two Gb Ethernet ports and one keyboard port per chassis
- Monitor, keyboard and mouse
- SAS HDD or Serial Attach SCSI HDD
xSeries 2.83GHz 667MHz 1MB L2 4MB L3 Cache Upgrade with Xeon Processor MP (13N0715) supports internal processing speeds of 2.83 GHz and external processing operations to memory at 667 MHz. It contains an integrated, full-speed, 4 MB L3 cache.
xSeries 3.00GHz 667MHz 1MB L2 8MB L3 Cache Upgrade with Xeon Processor MP (13N0714) supports internal processing speeds of 3.00 GHz and external processing operations to memory at 667 MHz. It contains an integrated, full-speed, 8 MB L3 cache.
xSeries 3.33GHz 667MHz 1MB L2 8MB L3 Cache Upgrade with Xeon Processor MP (13N0713) supports internal processing speeds of 3.33 GHz and external processing operations to memory at 667 MHz. It contains an integrated, full-speed, 8 MB L3 cache.
These processor options support up to 32-way SMP applications in the xSeries 460. A VRM and heatsink, specifically designed to support this xSeries server, is included.
ServeRAID 8i SAS RAID Controller (13N2227) performs with new Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) Raid technology. The ServeRAID 8i is a Zero Channel RAID (ZCR) controller designed to manage your internal data storage in selected xSeries servers. The ServeRAID 8i controller achieves higher performance and up to 10 times higher transfer rates at up to 3GB/second than its Ultra-320 SCSI predecessors for a nominal increase in price. The half-length adapter runs on a dedicated system's PCI-X 64-bit ZCR slot at speeds up to 133 MHz. With the onboard 256MB memory and 600MHz Intel processor, the ServeRAID 8i takes RAID processing workload and offloads it directly to the controller. This allows your CPU ample bandwidth to perform the application processing required. ServeRAID 8i SAS RAID Controller offers:
- RAID levels 0, 1, 10, 5, 6, 50, IBM exclusive 1E and 5EE.
- Cache size of 256MB Battery Backed, Low power DDR memory for protection of valuable data.
- RAID 6 allows for double parity checking for added data redundancy.
- Provides ability to expand existing arrays through On-line Capacity Expansion.
- Performance up to 3GB/seconds of throughput.
- ServeRAID 8i supports independent and adjustable stripe unit sizes from 16K up to 512K and default to 64K configurable per logical drive.
- BIOS and Firmware updates can be performed under supported OS platform.
- Additional ServeRAID features such as Logical Drive Migration, Global Hot Spare, Copyback and Flashcopy are available to manage your storage drives.
- Rebuild and rapid restore features to preserve RAID configurations.
- ServeRAID Manager software application is available for managing the SAS RAID array configurations.
- Performance is measured at 6 SFF Drives 16K OLTP:850 1O/sec
- Performance of 512 bytes out of cached: 25,000 IO/sec
- 32R0736 - RAID 6 - SAS Primary Array - minimum of 4 HDDs required
- 32R0737 - RAID 6 - SAS Secondary Array - minimum of 4 HDDs required
2 GB (2x1GB Kit) PC2-3200 CL3 ECC DDR2 SDRAM RDIMM (73P2866) contains two 1 GB DIMMs.
4 GB (2x2GB Kit) PC2-3200 CL3x4 ECC DDR2 SDRAM RDIMM (73P2867) contains two 2 GB DIMMs.
8 GB (2x4GB Kit) PC2-3200 CL3x4 ECC DDR2 SDRAM RDIMM (30R5145) contains two 4 GB DIMMs.
NOTE: This option is planned to be available 4Q05.
These high-speed, DDR2 registered DIMMs are synchronized to the processor so that once addressed, data can be transferred on both edges of the clock signal. This significantly improves performance of the new 667 MHz front-side bus Xeon MP processor. The memory bus transfers data at up to 5.3 GB per second;
Memory upgrade card (13M7409) allows you to upgrade your machine with up to four memory expansion cards. System memory can be expanded to 512 GB by adding two memory expansion card options and a 4 GB PC2-3200 ECC DDR-2 SDRAM RDIMM in each of the four DIMM sockets.
2.3m Scalability Cable (13M7414)
2.9m Scalability Cable (13M7416)
NOTE: This cable will not be available until July 15, 2005.
The two cables are functionally identical, they only differ in length
IBM Director CD
with 20 agent
license proofs of entitlement
includes support for x460.
xSeries 460 Description
Standard xSeries 460 model configurations
________________________________________________________________ | Models Processor L3 Cache Memory HDDs Power | | Supply | |---------------------------------------------------------------| | 8872-1Rx 2 x 2.83 GHz 4 MB 2 GB ECC open bay two | | 8872-2Rx 2 x 3.00 GHz 8 MB 2 GB ECC open bay two | | 8872-3Rx 2 x 3.33 GHz 8 MB 2 GB ECC open bay two | | 8874-1Rx 2xMemory open bay two | | Exp Cards | |_______________________________________________________________|
High-performance server subsystems
xSeries 460 servers are high-throughput, scalable SMP-capable Xeon-based network servers. They deliver excellent scalability for adding memory, adapter cards or multiple processors.
These models are equipped with powerful Xeon MP processors up to 3.33 GHz and 8 MB L3 cache that uses 64-byte cache lines. EMT64T architecture, supports 64-bit extensions. Four connectors for Xeon MP processors are standard on the system board. High-speed PC2-3200 ECC SDRAM provides excellent processor-to-memory subsystem performance.
The xSeries 460 system architecture is fine tuned and engineered to optimize the powerful Xeon MP processors. This architecture consists of the following components:
- Xeon MP processors
- Third-generation EXA-64e chipset
- System memory card
- PCI-X 2.0 host-bridge controller
These Xeon MP processors use 167 MHz common clock speed for external operations. They support 667 MHz data buses to the memory controller. This allows up to 5.3 GB/s data transfers between memory and the processor
The MIOC supports:
- Data flow between the processor and memory and to the PCI-X 2.0 host-bridge controller
- Chipkill ECC memory function
The two PCI-X 2.0 host-bridge controllers reside between the PCI buses and memory controller.
High-availability and serviceability features
Many enterprise e-business environments run around the clock to supply information around the globe. These environments require ruggedly dependable servers designed with features that can tolerate a component failure without total shutdown. xSeries 460 servers pack numerous fault-tolerant and high-availability features into a high-density, rack-optimized package that helps significantly reduce the space needed to support massive network computing operations.
Text features include:
- Active PCI-X 2.0 slots; hot-add and hot-swap adapters in Windows, Linux and NetWare environments
- Six Serial Attach SCSI (SAS) HDD bays
- ECC DIMMs combined with an integrated advanced ECC memory controller with third-generation Chipkill support to correct many single-, two-, three-, and four-bit memory errors to minimize disruption of service to LAN clients
- Memory ProteXion and memory mirroring hot-add and hot-swap memory support
- Memory hardware scrubbing to correct many soft memory errors automatically without software intervention
- ECC L3 cache processors to improve data integrity and help reduce downtime
- PFA on HDD options, memory, processors, VRMs, power supply, and fans in conjunction with IBM Director to help alert the system administrator of an imminent component failure
- Two 1,300-watt power supplies that support typical configuration redundancy or full configurations requiring redundancy
- Eight, hot-swap, multispeed fans to provide cooling redundancy and enable individual fan replacement without powering down the server
- Standard Remote Supervisor Adapter II Slimline enabling diagnostic, reset, POST, and auto recovery functions from remote locations and monitoring of temperature, voltage and fan speed; alerts generated when thresholds are exceeded without utilizing an IO slot
- Information LED panel, diagnostics LED panel and component LEDs for visual indications of system well-being
- Light Path Diagnostics for an outside view of the potential problem without removing the cover to reduce downtime and service costs
- Easy top access to system board, adapter cards, power supplies, and memory
- CPU failure recovery in SMP configurations, allowing a failed processor to be forced offline, the server rebooted, an alert generated and operation continued with the working processor
xSeries 460 servers are designed for complex applications. They feature XpandOnDemand scalability from third-generation Enterprise X-Architecture(TM) technology for future growth potential.
The servers include:
- Massive I/O expansion options supporting up to 48 PCI/PCI-X card slots with eight scaled chassis
- Up to 32-way SMP operations with powerful new Xeon MP processors
- 2 GB high-speed PC2-3200 DDR2 ECC memory standard, supporting up to 512 GB of system memory
- Support for two worldwide, voltage-sensing 1,300-watt, hot-swap power supplies with auto restart
- Six hot-swap drive bays, supporting up to 440 GB of internal data storage (using six 73.4 GB SAS Hot-Swap HDDs)
- Innovative tower configurations supported with optional NetBAY11
- Terabytes of external data storage supporting optional EXP400 storage units, ServeRAID SCSI controllers and Fibre Channel controllers and storage units
x460 ConfigurationsXpandOnDemand(TM) Scalability
- Modular Building-block Scalability eliminates the need
for for-life upgrades and provides an easier growth
path to larger, scale-up high-performance
- x460 2W-4W Single Chassis - Up to 64GB Memory
- x460 + 1-MXE-460 -- Two chassis 8-way, up to 128GB Memory
- x460 + 3-MXE-460 -- Four chassis 16-way, up to 256GB Memory
- x460 + 7-MXE-460 -- Eight chassis 32-way, up to 512GB Memory
The Scalable Partition Web Interface is an extension of the Remote Supervisor Adapter II SlimLine Web Interface and is used to create, delete, control and view scalable partitions. The Scalable Partition Web Interface is in the Remote Supervisor Adapter II SlimLine service processor.
The scalable partition defines a multi-node configuration, which interconnects two, four or eight servers, for up to 32-way operation. The multi-node configuration provides the function to individually power-on and power-off each node. The multinode configuration uses a single, contiguous memory space and provides access to all associated adapters. Each multi-node configuration can have one or more scalable partitions.
- Two Chassis
- x460 + MXE-460: single 8-way configuration
- x460 + x460: single 8-way or two partitioned 4-way servers
- Requires two 2.3m Scalability Cables (13M7414)
- Four Chassis
- x460 + (3) MXE-460: single 16-way configuration
- (2) x460 + (2) MXE-460: single 16-way or two partitioned 8-ways
- (4) x460: single 16-way, two partitioned 8-ways or four partitioned 4-way servers
- (4) x460: single 16-way, two partitioned 8-ways or four partitioned servers
- Requires six 2.3m Scalability Cables (13M7414)
- Eight Chassis
- x460 + (7) MXE-460: single 32-way configuration
- Any combination of x460 and MXE chassis that when combined results in a supported 4-way, 8-way or 16-way combination and that has an x460 as the bootable node (the MXE is not supported as a bootable node for any partition size)
- Requires eight 2.3m Scalability Cables (13M7414) and four 2.9m Scalability Cables (13M7416)
- The two cables are functionally identical, they only differ in length
NOTE: 16-way and 32-way support will not be available until 2nd Half 2005.
NOTE: 32-way capability will not be available in AP
xSeries 460 servers feature IBM Director, a powerful, highly integrated, systems-management software solution built on industry standards and designed for ease of use.
With IBM Director, a network administrator can perform the following tasks.
- View the hardware configuration of remote systems, in detail
- Monitor the usage and performance of critical components, such as microprocessors, disks and memory
- Centrally manage individual or large groups of IBM and non-IBM Intel-based servers, desktop computers, workstations and mobile computers on a variety of platforms
IBM Director provides a comprehensive entry-level workgroup hardware manager. It includes the following key features:
- Advanced self-management capabilities for maximum system availability.
- Multiple operating-system platform support, including
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, Windows XP Professional,
Red Hat Linux, SUSE LINUX and Novell NetWare.
For a complete list of operating systems that support IBM Director,
see the IBM Director Compatibility Document.
This document is in Portable Document Format (PDF) at
- Support for IBM and non-IBM servers, desktop computers, workstations and mobile computers.
- Support for systems-management industry standards.
- Integration into leading workgroup and enterprise systems-management environments.
- Ease of use, training and setup.
IBM Director also provides an extensible platform that supports advanced server tools that are designed to help reduce the total cost of managing and supporting networked systems. By deploying IBM Director, you can achieve reductions in ownership costs through the following benefits:
- Reduced downtime
- Increased productivity of IT personnel and users
- Reduced service and support costs
For more information about IBM Director, see the IBM Director CD that comes with the server, the IBM Director documentation on the CD and the IBM xSeries Systems Management Web page at
IBM Director includes IBM Director Extensions, a portfolio of server tools that integrates into the IBM Director interface and works with the Remote Supervisor Adapter II Slimline or other systems-management monitoring functions contained in xSeries servers. Typical functions and monitoring capabilities can include:
- PFA-enabled critical hardware components
- Fan speed
- Light Path Diagnostics
The IT administrator gains comprehensive, virtual on-site control of xSeries servers through the ability to remotely:
- Access the server in many cases regardless of its status
- Inventory and display detailed system and component information
- View server bootup during POST
- Browse and delete logs of events and errors
- Reset or power cycle the server
- Run diagnostics, SCSI and RAID setup during POST
- Monitor thresholds on server health including:
- Operating system load
- POST time-out
- Set proactive alerts for critical server events including PFA on:
- Power supplies
- Define automated actions such as:
- Send an e-mail or page to an administrator
- Execute a command or program
- Pop up an error message to the IBM Director console
- Flash BIOS
- Monitor and graph the utilization of server resources such as:
- Identify potential performance bottlenecks and react to prevent downtime
- Monitor, manage and configure RAID subsystems without taking them offline
IBM Director Agent provides integration into leading workgroup and enterprise system management environments, via Upward Integration Modules. This enables the advanced management capabilities built into xSeries servers to be accessed from:
- Tivoli Enterprise and Tivoli Netview
- Computer Associates Unicentre TNG
- HP OpenView
- Microsoft SMS
- BMC Patrol
World-class support tools and programs
xSeries 460 servers include tools and programs designed to make ownership a positive experience. From the start, IBM programs help you purchase servers, get them running and keep them running. IBM can help your company maintain ownership of technology leadership network servers.
- IBM on-site, three-year limited warranty with next-business-day service (same-business-day service optionally available) protects your investment if a problem occurs. This service also includes replacement of parts identified through PFA.
- The ServerProven(8) program lets you confidently configure your server with various devices and operating systems. This Web-based program provides compatibility information from actual testing of the xSeries 460 server with various adapters and devices.
- The ServerGuide CD library includes on-line publications and utilities and drivers that help you load popular network operating systems.
- Electronic support on the Web offers additional support in an easy-to-use format.
(8) IBM makes no warranties, expressed or implied, regarding non-IBM
products and services that are ServerProven, including but not
limited to implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for
a particular purpose. These products are offered and warranted
solely by third parties.
These new xSeries 460 models enhance the xSeries 460 line by providing new levels of performance and price/performance. The xSeries 460 server features a high-density, 3 U mechanical platform that supports the higher clocked Xeon MP processors, PCI-X 2.0 architecture and high-speed DDR2 memory.
xSeries 460 servers provide additional processing, expandability and high-availability features over that of the xSeries 366 server. These features make them ideal for handling complex, business-critical e-business applications that must be supported by space-saving, rack-optimized servers.
The xSeries 460 server is designed for extremely complex, compute-intensive applications requiring eight-way plus processing power and large memory support.
The xSeries 460 server provides excellent scalable processing capability with models supporting Intel MP 2.83 GHz/4MB, 3.00 GHz/8MB and 3.33 GHz/8MB, high-speed memory and PCI-X 2.0 bus architecture. This makes the xSeries 460 servers an excellent fit for today and future enterprise e-business applications.
These high-density, Xeon-based servers are designed to handle complex applications requiring high-speed computing power, advanced high-availability functions and a minimum amount of rack space.
- Business intelligence
- Transaction processing
- Collaboration applications (Microsoft Exchange and Lotus Notes)
- Server consolidation
- Internet or intranet front-end serving
- Web content serving
- Database storage as a SAN solution
Memory ProteXion(TM) -- redundant bit steering
- Utilizes unused bits in each memory DIMM (hot-spare bits)
- Double the number of Chipkills sustainable per server
- Included at no additional cost, requires no additional hardware, and works independently of operating system
- Redundant bit steering is similar to the "hot-spare" of a DASD Array
- Propels Intel-based servers towards continuous operations
- Dramatically helps to increases uptime and allows scheduled maintenance
- Mainframe capability and reliability
- Operating system independent: Does not require drivers or OS support
- Integrated XA-64e chipsets for using off-the-shelf DIMMs
- Better memory reliability to support in-memory databases
- Chipkill memory enables increased availability by detecting and help to correct single-, two-, three- and four-bit memory errors
- Third-generation Chipkill design
The following publications and CD-ROMs are shipped with the xSeries 460 servers.
- xSeries 460 Installation Guide contains an introduction to the computer, installation and setup, installing options, reference information and problem determination. The installation guide has easy-to-use text and illustrations to enable you to quickly set up your xSeries 460 server.
- ServerGuide contains on-line publications and drivers to support the xSeries 460 server. In addition, it includes a set of easy-to-use utilities on CD to help you install several popular network operating systems.
- IBM Director systems-management software is included.
NOTE: Software versions, features and functions shipped with these systems may change as new releases become available or may be discontinued at any time.
The xSeries 460 Installation Guide and the Problem Determination Guide, in U.S. English versions, are available from:
Integrated Technology Services
IBM services include business consulting, outsourcing, hosting services, applications and other technology management.
These services help you learn about, plan, install, manage or optimize your IT infrastructure for e-business. They can help you integrate your high-speed networks, storage systems, application servers, wireless protocols and an array of platforms, middleware and communications software for IBM and many non-IBM offerings. IBM is your one-stop shop for IT support needs.
For details on available services, contact your IBM representative or visit
For details on education offerings related to specific products, visit
Select your country and then select the product as the category.
8872-1Rx 8872-2Rx ----------- ----------- Processor Xeon MP Xeon MP Internal speed 2.83 GHz 3.00 GHz External speed 667 MHz 667 MHz Number standard 2 2 Maximum 4 4 L2 cache (full speed) 1 MB 1 MB L3 cache (full speed) 4 MB 8 MB Memory (PC2-3200 DDR2) 2 GB ECC 2 GB ECC DIMMs 2 x 1 GB 2 x 1 GB DIMM sockets 16 (1) 16 (1) Capacity 64 GB (2) 64 GB (2) Memory Expansion Card Number standard 2 2 Maximum 4 4 Video SVGA SVGA Memory 16 MB 16 MB SAS SCSI controller 3.0 GHz 3.0 GHz Ports 6 6 Connector internal 2 2 Connector external 0 0 HDD 0 0 Total bays 7 7 5.25-inch slim 1 1 3.5-inch slim 0 0 Hot-swap 6 6 Accessible 7 7 Internal capacity 440.4 GB (3) 440.4 GB (3) Bays available 6 6 5.25-inch slim 0 0 3.5-inch slim 0 0 Hot-swap 6 6 PCI-X slots 6 6 Slots available 6 6 Management processor BMC Standard Standard RSA-II Standard Standard Dual Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps 10/100/1000 Mbps controller CD-ROM / DVD Optional Optional DVD / ROM Standard Standard Power supply 1300 W 1300 W Number standard 2 2 Maximum 2 2 Hot-swap Yes Yes Redundant power Standard Standard Auto restart Yes Yes (1) Number of sockets are based on installation of the 4 memory expansion cards (13M7409) (2) Capacities are based on installation of the 4 memory expansion cards (13M7409) and 4x4 GB DIMMs installed in each card. (3) Capacities are based on installation of six 73.4 GB 2.5" SAS HDDs. For the latest information on supported HDD options, visit:
8872-3Rx 8874-1Rx ----------- ----------- Processor Xeon MP None Internal speed 3.33 GHz External speed 667 MHz Number standard 2 0 Maximum 4 4 L2 cache (full speed) 1 MB L3 cache (full speed) 8 MB Memory (PC2-3200 DDR2) 2 GB ECC None DIMMs 2 x 1 GB None DIMM sockets 16 (1) 16 (1) Capacity 64 GB (2) 64 GB (2) Memory Expansion Card Number standard 2 2 Maximum 4 4 Video SVGA SVGA Memory 16 MB 16 MB SAS SCSI controller 3.0 GHz 3.0 GHz Links 6 6 Connector internal 2 2 Connector external 0 0 HDD 0 0 Total bays 5.25-inch slim media 1 1 Hot-swap 6 6 Accessible 7 7 Internal capacity 440.4 GB (3) 440.4 GB (3) PCI-X slots 6 6 Slots available 6 6 Management processor BMC Standard Standard RSA-II Standard Standard Dual Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps 10/100/1000 Mbps controller CD-ROM / DVD Optional Optional DVD / ROM Standard Optional Power supply 1300 W 1300 W Number standard 2 2 Maximum 2 2 Hot-swap Yes Yes Redundant power Standard Standard Auto restart Yes Yes (1) Number of sockets are based on installation of the 4 memory expansion cards (13M7409) (2) Capacities are based on installation of the 4 memory expansion cards (13M7409) and 4x4 GB DIMMs installed in each card (when 4GB DIMMs become available). (3) Capacities are based on installation of six 73.4 GB 2.5" SAS HDDs. For the latest information on supported HDD options, visit:
36.4 GB 10K 2.5-inch Serial-attached Hot-swap HDD Characteristics
- Formatted capacity: 36,400 million bytes
- Average read seek time: 4.7 ms
- Burst transfer rate (maximum): 3.0 MB/s
- Average latency: 2.99 ms
- Drive rotation speed (RPM): 10,000 rpm
- PFA/S.M.A.R.T enabled: Yes
- Interface: SAS 3.0 GHz
73.4 GB 10K 2.5-inch Serial-attached Hot-swap HDD Characteristics
- Formatted capacity: 73,400 million bytes
- Average read seek time: 4.7 ms
- Burst transfer rate (maximum): 3.0 MB/s
- Average latency: 2.99 ms
- Drive rotation speed (RPM): 10,000 rpm
- PFA/S.M.A.R.T enabled: Yes
- Interface: SAS 3.0 GHz
ServeRAID 8i Serial-Attached SCSI Controller Characteristics
- Transfer Rate (maximum): 3GB/s
- Interface: SAS 3.0 GHz
- Cache Memory: 256MB
- RAID levels 0, 1, 10, 5, 6, 50, 60 and IBM exclusive 1E and 5EE.
- Cache size of 256MB Battery Backed, Low power DDR memory for protection of valuable data
- New RAID 6 allows for double parity checking for added data redundancy
- Provides ability to expand existing arrays through On-line Capacity Expansion
- Performance up to 3GB/seconds of throughput
- ServeRAID 8i supports independent and adjustable stripe unit sizes from 16K up to 512K and default to 64K configurable per logical drive
- BIOS and Firmware updates can be performed under supported OS platform
- Additional ServeRAID features such as Logical Drive Migration Global Hot Spare, Copyback and Flashcopy are available to manage your storage drives.
- Rebuild and rapid restore features to preserve RAID configurations
- ServeRAID Manager software application is available for managing the SAS RAID array configurations
- Measure Performance at 6 SFF Drives 16K OLTP:850 1O/sec
- Performance of 512 bytes out of cached: 25,000 IO/sec
- Sequential Reads 64K: 312MB/sec
DVD-ROM drive characteristics
ThinkPad® Multi-Burner Plus Ultrabay(TM) Enhanced Drive
See Hardware Announcement A04-1171, dated September&rbl.14,&rbl.2004,
- ATI Radeon 7,000M embedded
- 16 MB SDRAM standard/maximum video memory
- 128-bit graphics engine with 8, 16 and 32 bpp mode acceleration
- 32 bpp (4G colours/True Colour) support digital 24-bit TMDS digital video signal to the standard RSA-2 SlimLine
- DDC2 ci monitor communications support
Supported video mode capabilities for the SVGA PCI controller:
Microsoft® Windows 2000 and Windows® 2003 ---------------------------------------------- Refresh Resolution Colours Rate (Hz) 640 x 480 x 8 256 60, 72, 75, 85 640 x 480 x 16 64K 60, 72, 75, 85 640 x 480 x 32 16 million 60, 72, 75, 85 800 x 600 x 8 256 60, 72, 75, 85 800 x 600 x 16 64K 60, 72, 75, 85 800 x 600 x 32 16 million 60, 72, 75, 85 1024 x 768 x 8 256 60, 70, 75, 85 1024 x 768 x 16 64K 60, 70, 75, 85 1024 x 768 x 32 16 million 60, 70, 75, 85
3 U rack drawer
- Width: 440 mm (17.32 in)
- Depth: 715 mm (28.15 in)
- Height: 128.35 mm (5.05 in)
- Minimum configuration: 31.75 kg (70 lb)
- Maximum configuration: 38.5 kg (85 lb)
- 100 to 127 (nominal) V ac; 50 Hz or 60 Hz; 8.5 A
- 200 to 240 (nominal) V ac; 50 Hz or 60 Hz; 8.5 A
- Input kilovolt-amperes (kVA) (approximately):
- Minimum configuration: 0.37 kVA (two power supplies)
- Maximum configuration: 1.2 kVA (two power supplies)
- Btu output:
- Ship configuration: 1,262 Btu/hr (370 watts)
- Full configuration: 4,094 Btu/hr (1200 watts)
- Noise level horizontal position: 6.6 bels
NOTE: The noise emission level stated is the declared (upper limit) sound power level, in bels, for a random sample of machines. All measurements made in accordance with ISO 7779 and reported in conformance with ISO 9296.
xSeries 460 servers are intended for use as rack-drawer servers and are tested and designed to operate in a horizontal position.
These systems support or comply with the following standards:
- Multiprocessor Specification (MPS) 1.4.
- Hardware-enabled to meet ISO 9241, Part 3.
In addition to the above standards, they are compatible with the PCI-X specification 2.0.
Equipment approvals and safety
- FCC - Verified to comply with Part 15 of the DOC equivalent of FCC Rules, Cl
- Canada ICES-003, issue 4, Class A
- IEC/UL 60950-1, 1st Edition
- CAN/CSA - C22.2 No. 60950-1-03
- NOM-019 (10)
- 10.0 to 35.0 degrees C (50 to 95 degrees F) at 0 to 914 m (0 to 3,000 ft)
- 10.0 to 32.0 degrees C (50 to 90 degrees F) at 914 to 2,133 m (3,000 to 7,000 ft)
- Relative humidity: 8% to 80%
- Maximum altitude: 2,133 m (7,000 ft)
For attended installation of an operating system, this server requires a compatible:
Unattended or remote installation may be performed without requiring some or all of these components. Review your unattended software installation program information for specific hardware configuration requirements.
For service, the server requires a compatible:
The following network operating systems have been tested for compatibility with the xSeries 460 server:
- Microsoft - available 3Q05:-
- Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft - available June 2005:-
- Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition (32-bit, SP1)
- Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition (32-bit, SP1)
- Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition (64 bit)
- Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition (64 bit)
- Linux - available 3Q05:-
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 Advanced Server 32-bit (RHEL3 Update 5)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 Advanced Server 64-bit (RHEL3 Update 5)
- SuSE LINUX Enterprise Server 9 UL (SLES9) 32-bit
- SuSE LINUX Enterprise Server 9 UL (SLES9) 64-bit
- VMware ESX Server 2.5.1
NOTE: For information on additional support, certification and versions of network operating systems, visit:
The xSeries 460 server contains licensed system programs that include set configuration, set features and test programs. IBM system BIOS is loaded from a "flash" EEPROM into system memory. This BIOS provides instructions and interfaces designed to support the standard features of the xSeries 460 server and to maintain compatibility with many current software programs.
For detailed information about IBM and non-IBM devices, adapters, software and network operating systems supported with xSeries servers, visit:
Contact your IBM representative, IBM Business Partner, or refer to the IBM Sales Manual for information on the compatibility of hardware and software for xSeries servers. The Sales Manual is updated periodically as new features and options are announced that support these servers.
The xSeries 460 servers are shipped with 2 GB (2x1GB) of memory. A maximum of up to 64 GB of system memory is supported (when 4GB DIMMs become available) by adding two additional memory expansion card options and a 4 GB PC2-3200 ECC DDR-2 SDRAM RDIMM in each of the 4 DIMM sockets. All supported system memory is addressable through direct memory access (DMA). This server supports 1 GB, 2 GB and 4 GB 1.8V, 240-pin, 8-byte RDIMMs. Supported DIMMs can coexist in the same server; however, memory DIMMs of the same capacity must be installed in matched pairs. Refer to the Planning Information section or the xSeries server Web page memory options.
The xSeries 460 supports up to 6 HDDs which limits the ServeRAID 8i SAS Controller to reach RAID configurations of RAID 0, 1, 10, 5, 6, 50, 1E and 5EE, but not RAID 60.
Use the version of ServerGuide that is shipped with the system or a later version, to load software and drivers. Earlier versions of ServerGuide may not be compatible with the server.
For the 2-way, 4-way and 8-way configurations, ServerGuide can:
- Setup and configure the system
- Setup and configure any ServeRAID adapters as well as the onboard SAS chipset
- Help the user do an unattended install of Windows 2003 with SP1 integrated CD (32 bit only)
For the 16-way and 32-way configurations, ServerGuide can:
- Setup and configure the system
- Setup and configure any ServeRAID adapters as well as the onboard SAS chipset
- Serverguide cannot help the user with any unattended Windows installs (32 bit)
- PCI hot-plug is not supported in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.
- PCI hot-plug support is limited in SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 and Novell NetWare 6.5.
- For Linux, multi-function adapters (those that use PCI bridges) are currently not supported.
- For Netware, only hot-replace of adapters is supported.
Refer to the Software Requirements section for operating system limitations.
US Law controls export of High Performance Computers (HPC) exceeding 190K Composite Theoretical Performance (CTP). CTP calculations are performed using a modified formula and stated in Millions of Theoretical Operations Per Second (MTOPS) resulting from CoCom negotiations on December 21, 1993 and published in US Dept of Commerce Export Administration Regulations 15 CFR 774 (Advisory Note 4 for Category 4).
Due to the extreme power of the xSeries 460 scalable server, aAll scale-up high-performance SMP configurations composed of more than 4 combined chassis of x460 and MXE-460 (above 16-way) will exceed the US Government mandated 190k CTP threshold and will require a U.S. export license. The scalable system partition's setup menu will prevent such configurations from being created.
If a high performance SMP configuration beyond a
16-way is desired, the customer and the IBM salesperson
or IBM Business partner will need to work closely with
the IBM Export Regulation Office (ERO) to initiate the
licensing process and acquire the documentation and
approvals necessary for IBM to be able to ship the
system to the intended customer. Be aware that this
process can be quite lengthy, lasting up to 6 months,
and should be initiated very early in the procurement
cycle. Once the required approvals have been obtained,
the customer will be provided with additional code
that will augment the scalable system partition setup
menu such that configurations beyond 16-way
or 4 chassis) will now be allowed.
xSeries 460 Server and Related Options
The xSeries 460 server is designated as customer setup. Customer setup instructions are shipped with systems.
The xSeries 460 server contains seven customer-accessible drive bays on the front of the server. The top right bay is for the slim DVD-ROM. Six unpopulated 2.5-inch, slim-high, hot-swap drive bays are located beneath this bay.
The IDE DVD-ROM is cabled directly to the IDE port. The six hot-swap bays are connected to the integrated SAS SCSI controller through an integrated circuit.
Internal SCSI cabling
The xSeries 460 server contains a DASD backplane supporting six hot-swap, SCA-2-compliant drive bays. For configurations where an optional ServeRAID controller is used to support internal RAID applications, plug in optional RAID adapter into designated slot.
The following processor upgrade options are supported:
- xSeries 2.83GHz 667MHz 1MB L2 4MB L3 Cache Upgrade with Xeon Processor MP (13N0715)
- xSeries 3.00GHz 667MHz 1MB L2 8MB L3 Cache Upgrade with Xeon Processor MP (13N0714)
- xSeries 3.33GHz 667MHz 1MB L2 8MB L3 Cache Upgrade with Xeon Processor MP (13N0713)
The following memory options are supported:
- 2 GB (2x1GB Kit) PC2-3200 CL3 ECC DDR2 SDRAM RDIMM (73P2866)
- 4 GB (2x2GB Kit) PC2-3200 CL3x4 ECC DDR2 SDRAM RDIMM (73P2867)
- 8 GB (2x4GB Kit) PC2-3200 CL3x4 ECC DDR2 SDRAM RDIMM (30R5145)
The 256MB XceL4v cache, in multi-chassis configurations, utilizes system memory for this function. The total system memory as seen by the operating system is reduced by 256MB per chassis for configurations above 4-way.
PCI-X 2.0 adapter installations
The xSeries 460 server contains PCI-X 2.0 architecture. There are six full-length slots that support PCI-X 2.0 and PCI adapters at up to 266 MHz clock speeds.
xSeries 460 3 U, rack-drawer models are designed to be installed in a 19-inch rack cabinet designed for 26-inch deep devices, such as the NetBAY42 ER, NetBAY42 SR, NetBAY25 SR or NetBAY11.
If using a non-IBM rack, the cabinet must meet the EIA-310-D standards with a depth of at least 71.1 cm (28 in). Also, adequate space (approximately 5 cm (2 in) for the front bezel and 2.5 cm (1 in) for air flow) must be maintained from the slide assembly to the front door of the rack cabinet to allow sufficient space for the door to close and provide adequate air flow.
These xSeries 460 models include two standard 1,300-watt, hot-swap power supplies. Models standard with two power supplies have power supply redundancy for all configurations when powered at 200-240 VAC.
The 10/100/1000 Mbps full-duplex, Dual Ethernet PCI-X Controller is standard with xSeries 460. The RJ-45 connectors provide a 10BaseT or 100/1000Base-TX interface for connecting twisted-pair cable to the Ethernet network. Cabling is not included with the server. To connect the Ethernet controller to a repeater or switch, use a UTP cable with RJ-45 connectors at both ends. For 100/1000 Mbps operation, Category 5 cabling must be used. For 10 Mbps operation, Category 3 or better, cabling must be used.
There are no additional cabling requirements, other than for system power, keyboard, mouse and monitor connections.
The xSeries 460 server requires about 20 minutes for installation. Installation includes unpacking, setting up and powering on the system. Additional time is required to install an operating system, additional adapters or features.
Number of Product Shipment group boxes ------------------- ----------------------------------- --------- xSeries 460 System unit carton 1 Contents: ------------------- System unit Rack components: Rails Cable management hardware xSeries 460 Country kit carton 1 Contents: ------------------- Two 9-foot 220 V intra-rack cables xSeries 460 Installation Guide Safety booklet SCSI cable Rack install template IBM Director ServerGuide CD-ROM Packages On/off switch cover
The xSeries 460 system
is shipped as a single package. The country kit
carton is contained inside the top portion of the system unit
the rack components are contained in the system unit carton.
- Xeon MP processor
- VRM and heat sink
- Installation publications/warranty
Security and auditability features include:
- Power-on and privileged access password functions provide controls of who has access to the data and server setup program on the server.
- A set unattended boot mode allows the system keyboard to be locked to all entries except the password and at the same time allows other computers on the network to access the system disk drive.
- A selectable boot sequence can be used to prevent unauthorized installation of software or removal of data from the diskette drive.
The xSeries 460 server has no security intrusion detection; therefore, it
should be installed in a rack environment that provides security
through lockable doors or other security measures.
It is a customer's
responsibility to ensure that the server is secure
to protect sensitive data.
The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection and
implementation of security features, administrative procedures and
appropriate controls in application systems and communications
Warranty service: 8872: Onsite Repair - 8:00am - 5:00pm Mon - Fri with Mandatory Customer Replaceable Unit (CRU) for Tier 1 CRUs 8874: Onsite Repair - 8:00am - 5:00pm Mon - Fri with Mandatory Customer Replaceable Unit (CRU) for Tier 1 CRUs Options: Customer Carry in Exchange - To IBM Business Partner Authorized Servicer or Customer Replaceable Unit (CRU) Warranty period: 8872: Three Years 8874: Three Years Options: One YearWarranty terms: Options assume the same warranty terms as the IBM machine type in which they are installed. Should the option warranty extend beyond the IBM machine type in which it is installed, the customer must provide proof of purchase in order to obtain warranty service on the option. If installed in a non-IBM machine, the customer must provide proof of purchase in order to obtain warranty service on the option. Non-IBM Programs: Not warranted by IBM. Warranty, if any, is as provided by the program's supplier.
Warranty response objective: Next Business Day
Additional charges may apply when on-site service is required that is more than 150 kilometres from an IBM or Authorized Service location.
Warranty option upgrades:
Same Day Onsite Repair - 7 days / 24 hours - 4 Hour Response Same Day Onsite Repair - 5 days / 9 hours - 4 Hour Response
International warranty service: YesInternational Warranty Service (IWS) is available to customers who travel or need to move selected IBM products as identified by their 4-digit IBM Machine Type to countries where their product is sold and serviced by IBM or an IBM authorized service provider. During the original warranty period, customers will be provided service through the service delivery methods available for their IBM product in the servicing country. Service procedures vary by country and some service and or parts may not be available in all countries. Some countries have fees and restrictions that apply when service is provided.
Eligible for maintenance: Yes
IBM maintenance agreement service: IBM Onsite Repair - M - F 8am - 5pm Next Business Day Response IBM Onsite Repair - M - F 8am - 5pm (7 x 24 is available for a 15% surcharge)
IBM maintenance agreement terms:Options assume the same Maintenance Agreement terms as the IBM machine type in which they are installed. Should the option warranty extend beyond the Maintenance Agreement of the IBM machine type in which it is installed the Customer must provide proof of purchase in order to obtain warranty service on the option.
Customer set up: Yes
Licensed internal code: No
Licensing terms:IBM Programs included with this product are licensed under the terms of the IBM Program License Agreement and IBM System Programs License Agreement. A copy of these agreements are included in the documentation that ships with the system. Non-IBM Programs are available from IBM as distributed by the program supplier. Terms and Conditions of the supplier apply. They are included in their respective program packages in the documentation that ships with the system and are passed on to the customer.
IBM leasing:ICA lease offering: Yes
IBM service & supportWarranty service on this product is provided by IBM or an IBM Business Partner. The customer entry point to IBM warranty service is 1-800-IBM-SERV (1-800-426-7378)
Customer replaceable units (CRU):IBM provides replacement CRUs to you for you to install. CRU information and replacement instructions are shipped with your machine and are available from IBM at any time on your request. CRUs are designated as being either a Tier 1 or a Tier 2 CRU. Installation of Tier 1 CRUs is your responsiblity for all warranty service types designated as mandatory CRU. If IBM installs a Tier 1 CRU at your request, you will be charged for the installation. You may install a Tier 2 CRU yourself or request IBM to install it at no additional charge. Based upon availability CRUs will be shipped for next business day delivery. IBM specifies in the materials shipped with a replacement CRU whether a defective CRU must be returned to IBM. When return is requried you may be charged for the replacement CRU if IBM does not receive the defective CRU within 30 days of your receipt of the replacement.
Common service information
Service publications:IBM xSeries 460 Installation Guide and Hardware Maintenance Manual (HMM) are available from: http://www.ibm.com/pc/support Click servers, then the server family, then Online Publications.
Part Number Description Cooling 48P9687 Hi SP 92mm FAN (CRU) 90P5051 HI SP 80mm FAN (CRU) Planar 73P2870 1GB PC2-3200 ECC DDR2 73P2871 2GB PC2-3200 ECC DDR2 30R5146 4GB PC2-3200 ECC DDR2 73P9324 Remote Supervisor Adapter II Slimline 23K4424 CPU Card 23K4193 PCIX Card 23K4107 Active Memory 4-Slot Memory Expansion Card 23K4111 Power Backplane 39R7258 Super I/O Card 13M7880 SAS HDD Backplane 01R1477 Lightpath and Op Panel Card 13M7881 Media Backplane 73P6869 Active PCIX Hotplug Sensor Power 36L8886 Line Cord 24R2715 Power Supply, 1300W 74P4485 10.1 Processor VRM Cable 00N6996 Serial Cable 24P1067 Active PCIX Cable 25K9602 2.3m Scalabilty Cable 25K9604 2.9m Scalabilty Cable 25K9606 Internal Scalability cartridge 25K9610 SAS 4X Data Cable 25K9618 USB Cable 25K9622 SAS Power Cable 25K9626 CD/DVD IDE Cable 25K9628 Lightpath & Op Panel Cable Heatsink 26K8805 Processor Heatsink 26K8836 Heatsink Retention Module 26K9020 Processor Heatsink Filler Miscellaneous 01R1479 Air Block 03K9050 PCI Spacer 24P1295 Lift Handle Kit 25R5236 Rack Slide Kit 26K8945 Cable Mgmt Arm 26K5413 DVD-ROM 26K8680 HDD Blank Filler 26K8946 Chassis Assembly 26K8947 Chassis Top Cover Assembly 26K8948 EIA Mounting Brackets 26K8950 Power Supply Structure 26K8951 PCIX Card Guide 33F8354 3.0V Battery 59P4739 Alcohol Wipe 59P4740 Heatsink Grease 26K8917 Bezel - for x460 only
IBM product support services maintenance prices:
Warranty option charges:
Yrs 1/2/3 Warranty Upgrade IOR 4-hour response 9 x 5 24 x 7 ------------- ------------- 88721RU $1799.00 $2549.00 88722RU $1799.00 $2549.00 88723RU $1799.00 $2549.00 88741RU $1799.00 $2549.00
ServicePac for warranty and maintenance optionsIBM ServicePac is a family of convenient, easy-to-use, no contract, part-numbered services containing pre-defined levels of service delivery that make it simple for customers to access onsite services beyond their base product warranty. ServicePacs are available in electronic format and are sold through IBM authorized Business Partners or IBM Direct. Customers can choose the level of IBM hardware service that best meets the needs of their business and ensures continued productivity and availability of their IBM products. Customers can choose to upgrade their base warranty service from next business day 8:00 am to 5:00 pm (Monday - Friday) to 4-hour response service 8:00 am to 5:00 pm (Monday - Friday), or to 4-hour response service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Ideal for customers in a mission-critical environment.
Warranty option upgrade
ServicePac P/N Service Description List Price --------------------------------------------------------------- 69P9012 3 years, on-site, 24 x 7, 4-hour response $2,549.00 11K8218 3 years, on-site, 9 x 5, 4-hour response $1,799.00
Post-warranty maintenance agreement
ServicePac P/N Service Description List Price ------------------------------------------------------------------------- 14R1333 1 year, on-site, 9 x 5, 4-hour response $4,999.00 14R1334 2 years, on-site, 9 x 5, 4-hour response $8,999.00 14R1335 1 year, on-site, 24 x 7, 4-hour response $5,499.00 14R1336 2 years, on-site, 24 x 7, 4-hour response $9,999.00 29R5061 1 year, on-site, Next Business Day response $2,999.00 29R5062 2 years, on-site, Next Business Day response $5,499.00For further information on IBM ServicePac Offerings refer to the ServicePac web site: http://www.can.ibm.com/servicepac
Annual minimum maintenance charges:
Part IOR Same Day IOR NBD Number Description 9 x 5 9 x 5 ------- ----------- ------------- --------- 88721RU xSeries 460 $4,999.00 $2,999.00 88722RU xSeries 460 $4,999.00 $2,999.00 88723RU xSeries 460 $4,999.00 $2,999.00 88741RU xSeries 460 $4,999.00 $2,999.00FOR ADDITIONAL WARRANTY OPTION UPGRADE or MAINTENANCE AGREEMENT INFORMATION CONTACT YOUR IBM REPRESENTATIVE, YOUR IBM AUTHORIZED BUSINESS PARTNER OR IBM AT 1-800-426-2255.
Prices are subject to change without notice.
GST, QST and Sales Taxes, where applicable, are extra.
IBM Machine Model Part List Description Type Number Number Price* ----------- ----- ------- -------- -------- xSeries 460 - Rack, 8872 1RY 88721RU $25,179.00 2.83 GHz/4 MB, 2 GB xSeries 460 - Rack, 8872 2RY 88722RU $29,169.00 3.00 GHz/8 MB, 2 GB xSeries 460 - Rack, 8872 3RY 88723RU $34,724.00 3.33 GHz/8 MB, 2 GB xSeries MXE-460 - Rack 8874 1RY 88741RU $ 9,724.00 Description Number ERP* -------------------------------- ------- -------- xSeries 2.83GHz 667MHz 1MB L2 4MB L3 Cache 13N0715 $2,659.00 Upgrade with Xeon Processor MP xSeries 3.00GHz 667MHz 1MB L2 8MB L3 Cache 13N0714 $4,379.00 Upgrade with Xeon Processor MP xSeries 3.33GHz 667MHz 1MB L2 8MB L3 Cache 13N0713 $8,049.00 Upgrade with Xeon Processor MP 2.3m Scalabilty Cable 13M7414 $ 419.00 2.9m Scalabilty Cable 13M7416 $ 554.00 (*) IBM List Price does not include tax or shipping and is subject to change without notice. Reseller prices may vary.
IBM Global Financing
IBM Global Financing offers competitive financing to credit-qualified customers to assist them in acquiring IT solutions. Our offerings include financing for IT acquisition, including hardware, software and services, both from IBM and other manufacturers or vendors. Offerings (for all customer segments: small, medium and large enterprise), rates, terms and availability can vary by country. Contact your local IBM Global Financing organization or visit the Web at
IBM Global Financing offerings are provided through IBM Credit LLC in the United States and other IBM subsidiaries and divisions worldwide to qualified commercial and government customers. Rates are based on a customer's credit rating, financing terms, offering type, equipment type, and options and may vary by country. Other restrictions may apply. Rates and offerings are subject to change, extension or withdrawal without notice. Financing solutions from IBM Global Financing can help you stretch your budget and affordably acquire the new product. But beyond the initial acquisition, our end-to-end approach to IT management can also help keep your technologies current, reduce costs, minimize risk and preserve your ability to make flexible equipment decisions throughout the entire technology life cycle. For more financing information, please visit