ThinkPad T61 notebook models feature Linux operating system and three-year depot warrantyUnited States Hardware Announcement 108-048
January 15, 2008
|Table of contents||Document options|
(Corrected on February 15, 2008)
|At a glance|
New ThinkPad models of the ThinkPad T61 notebook feature:
- Intel Core 2 Duo (2.2 GHz) with 800 MHz front-side bus (FSB) and 4 MB L2 cache
- Faster HDD with 80, 120, or 160 GB2 capacity
- Intel GM965 and PM965 chipsets
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 SP1 operating system
- Improved wireless LAN (WLAN)
- Roll cage
- Balance of performance and portability with NVIDIA graphics
Back to top
The new ThinkPad® T61 notebook computer offers the ultimate choice for uncompromised performance. It is thin and light for improved portability.
ThinkPad T61 notebooks feature:
- Fast Intel® Core 2 Duo processors
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 SP1
- High-speed, higher-capacity HDDs
- Latest NVIDIA discrete graphics offerings on selected models
Unique data protection
Integrated fingerprint reader technology on selected models helps to prevent unauthorized access to your ThinkPad notebook and data.
Intel Centrino® Duo mobile technology:
- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 SP1 operating system
- Intel GM965 and PM965 Express chipset family
- Intel PRO/Wireless family
- Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 graphics for clear images (models with GM965 chipset)
- Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG1
- 80 or 120 GB2 (5400 rpm) HDD
- UltraConnect II antenna to help optimize frequency coverage and performance for improved wireless LAN (WLAN) connectivity around the world, when used with compatible options
- Widescreen TFT display starting at 358-mm (14.1-in) with WXGA (1280 x 800) or WXGA+ (1440 x 900) resolution
Certain product family features are limited to selected models that may not be available in all
countries. Some combinations of features are not supported.
Back to top
Back to top
Unique data protection: Selected models include integrated fingerprint reader technology from ThinkVantage technologies to help protect access to your ThinkPad notebook and data.
ThinkPad T61 features
Features available for this family of ThinkPad notebooks
Certain product family features are limited to select models that may not be available in all countries. Refer to the models and features available in your country.
Intel Core 2 processors: Intel Core 2 Duo processor T7500
- UltraConnect II antenna to help optimize frequency coverage and performance for improved WLAN connectivity around the world; support for 2.4 GHz frequency band for 802.11b networks and four sub-bands in 5 GHz frequency band to meet unique country spectrum requirements for 802.11a networks
- Integrated Bluetooth wireless technology with Bluetooth wireless technology antenna on selected models
- Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 or NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M graphics
- PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHz SO DIMM memory
- WLAN technology: Intel PRO/wireless 3945ABG
Operating system: SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 SP1 is the operating system offered.
With SUSE Linux Enterprise from Novell, you get the best engineered, most interoperable platform for enterprise computing. From the desktop to the data center, SUSE Linux Enterprise delivers a complete open source platform for your mission-critical applications.
Communications: Choice of communications:
- 56 Kbps V.90 modem (V.92-designed) and 1 Gigabit Ethernet LAN connection
- Integrated Bluetooth wireless technology on selected models
LCD TFT display: 358-mm (14.1-in) TFT display with 1280 x 800 resolution with 185-nit panel or 1440 x 900 resolution with 200-nit panel Widescreen; display is measured diagonally
Keyboard with TrackPoint® and enhanced features: The keyboard has the familiar layout of a ThinkPad notebook with function keys that allow you to quickly access system functions such as power management control5
- UltraNav combines the advantages of the TrackPoint device, center-scrolling button, and a touch pad.
- ThinkLight® makes viewing your keyboard in low-light conditions easy.
Memory: Available memory: 1 or 2 GB expandable to 4 GB
Important information about memory: Lenovo notebooks announced April 2007, or later, have a new 64-bit architecture.
The standard memory can be expanded to 3 or 4 GB of addressable memory, depending on whether the operating system is a 32- or 64-bit operating system. The new notebooks can support up to 3 GB of addressable memory. The new notebooks with a Windows Vista 64-bit operating system can support up to 4 GB of addressable memory.
Recommended for memory expansion are 512 MB, 1 GB, and 2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHz SO DIMM.
Storage: 80 or 120 GB (5400 rpm) or 100 GB (7200 rpm) in selected systems
An optional second HDD in the Ultrabay Slim expands storage. The second HDD option, requiring an adapter, can be used with all ThinkPad T61 models.
Drives: DVD, CD-RW/DVD or Multi-Burner DVD Recordable dual layer, Ultrabay Slim drive6,7
Audio: Full-duplex audio on the system board and the integrated microphone allow voice annotation and audio. The system is equipped with audio in/out jacks for stereo speakers, headphone, or external microphone.
Video: Digital Visual Interface (DVI) for digital displays is supported on selected models supported through the optional ThinkPad Advanced Dock, ThinkPad Advanced Mini-Dock, or ThinkPad Essential Port Replicator stations at up to 1600 x 1200, 60 Hz supported resolution.
Other features: The ThinkPad T61 systems include these ports:
- External display
- Built-in RJ-11 and RJ-45 connectors for telephony and LAN connections
- Three USB 2.0 ports
- IEEE 1394a high-speed port (selected models)
PS/2® port and serial port are not included, but they can be obtained through the optional ThinkPad Essential Port Replicator, ThinkPad Advanced Dock, or ThinkPad Advanced Mini-Dock.
The USB ports, which connect external drives and other devices, are supported with SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 SP1.
The 240-pin connector supports these optional docking solutions:
- ThinkPad Essential Port Replicator for simple port replication and cable management
- ThinkPad Advanced Mini-Dock for port replication, additional USB capability, and security
- ThinkPad Advanced Dock for a more advanced docking solution
AC adapter: The ac adapter is an ac-to-dc converter that supplies the necessary power to the computer. The ac adapter also charges the battery pack when it is installed in the computer.
Li-Ion battery pack
- A four- or six-cell Li-Ion battery pack is shipped with the system.
- An optional Li-Ion battery pack, the Ultrabay Slim Li-Polymer battery, fits into the Ultrabay Slim so that two batteries can be installed to increase battery operating time.
- The battery pack is an internal power source to the computer when the ac adapter is not available. The battery pack is rechargeable and is charged using the ac adapter with the system.
Non-Lenovo software: The non-Lenovo software programs listed in this section may be licensed to you under the non-Lenovo manufacturer's, supplier's, or publisher's terms and conditions. The non-Lenovo manufacturers, suppliers, or publishers are responsible for providing any service or support associated with these programs. The descriptions of these programs were obtained from information made available by these companies to the general public. Lenovo does not warrant these products. Some software may differ from its separately available version (if available), and may not include user manuals or all program function.
Software that may be included or preloaded on the system:
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 SP1
Back to top
For a copy of applicable product warranties, contact your authorized Lenovo reseller or Lenovo representative. Lenovo makes no representation or warranty regarding third-party products or services.
Telephone support may be subject to additional charges, even during the limited warranty period. For Lenovo machines with on-site labor, Lenovo will attempt to diagnose and resolve the problem remotely before sending a technician. For Lenovo machines with courier or depot service, Lenovo will attempt to diagnose and resolve the problem remotely before sending a courier.
All offers are subject to availability. Lenovo reserves the right to alter product offerings and specifications at any time without notice. Lenovo is not responsible for photographic or typographic errors.
Accessibility by people with disabilities
A U.S. Section 508 Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) containing details on accessibility compliance can be requested at
Back to top
- 11a, 11b, and 11g wireless are based on IEEE 802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g. An adapter with 11a/b/g can communicate on any of these formats; the actual connection is based on the access point to which it connects.
- GB equals one billion bytes when referring to HDD. Accessible capacity is less. Up to 4 GB is used in the service partition.
- Thickness may vary at certain points on the system.
- Maximum capacity may require the replacement of standard component with largest supported component available. Actual weight may vary depending on vendor components, manufacturing process, or options. Weight includes battery and optional travel bezel instead of the standard optical drive in the Ultrabay Plus.
- Power management reduces processor speed when in battery mode.
- Maximum CD and DVD rates; rates are variable and are often less than the maximum.
- For combination drives, maximum speeds are given in the following order: CD-W, CD-RW, CD-R, and DVD-R.
Back to top
For the latest information on options available for the ThinkPad® T61 models and other ThinkPad notebooks, visit
Back to top
Specified operating environment
Note: Actual specifications and weights may vary based on features, display type, vendor components, or manufacturing processes. All weights and dimensions are approximate.
- Width: 335 mm (13.2 in)
- Depth: 237 mm (9.3 in)
- Height: 27.6 to 31.9 mm (1.09 to 1.26 in)
- Weight: As light as 2.3 kg (5.0 lb)
AC adapter (two- or three-pin):
- 90 W: 360 g (0.795 lb)
- 65 W: 260 g (0.57 lb)
- Power cord for ac adapter: 90 g (0.19 lb) 60 W
- DVD/CD-RW drive: 195 g (0.43 lb)
- Multi-Burner DVD Recordable drive: 195 g (0.43 lb)
Universal ac adapter (90 W):
- Input: 100/240 V ac, 1.7/0.6 A, 50/60 Hz
- Output: 20 V dc, 4.25 A
Universal ac adapter (65 W):
- Input: 100/240 V ac, 1.7/0.6 A, 50/60 Hz
- Output: 20 V dc, 3.25 A
Li-Ion battery packs:
- Four-cell: 10.8 V, 37.44 Wh
- Six-cell: 10.8 V, 56.16 Wh
Heat dissipation: 222 Btu/hr maximum
Heat emissions: 65 watts maximum (65-watt adapter)
Air temperature for shipping and storage: -20° to 60°C (-4° to 140°F)
Acoustic noise level: Category 3D (office environment)
Low cooling fan speed:
- Sound power level: 3.7 bels (idling), 4.0 bels (HDD seeking)
- Sound pressure level at the operator position: 31 dB (idling), 34 dB (HDD seeking)
Middle cooling fan speed:
- Sound power level: 3.9 bels (idling), 4.0 bels (HDD seeking)
- Sound pressure level at the operator position: 33 dB (idling), 34 dB (HDD seeking)
High cooling fan speed:
- Sound power level: 4.0 bels (idling), 4.1 bels (HDD seeking)
- Sound pressure level at the operator position: 36 dB (idling), 37 dB (HDD seeking)
Note: All measurements are made in accordance with ISO 7779 and reported in conformance with ISO 9296.
Operating environment: ThinkPad computers are designed, built, and tested for high quality and reliability. When used properly in standard business environments, a ThinkPad system should be a reliable computing asset for many years. Harsh environments and abuse can damage ThinkPad notebooks. They are not intended to withstand extreme temperatures, dust, shock, or severe physical environments. ThinkPad systems should not be used in unsuitable environments. For example, a ThinkPad system should not be used in non-stationary environments, such as in-vehicle installations, without additional casing or shock dissipation. Lenovo warrants that the ThinkPad notebook will conform to its Official Published Specifications when used in a suitable physical operating environment.
For additional information about supported environments, refer to the Physical specifications section.
- FCC Part 15 Class-B (Doc) (U.S.)
- VCCI Class 2 (Japan)
- UL-60950 (U.S.)
- C-UL (Canada)
- CCC (China)
- BSMI (Taiwan)
- MPR-II/MPR-III (Sweden)
- CE Mark (EMEA)
- CB Report (EMEA)
- NOM (Mexico)
- MIC (Korea)
- ACA (Australia)
- SASO (Saudi Arabia)
- CER (Eastern Europe)
- GOST (Russia)
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 SP1
- Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional SP2 with USB 2.0 support
- Microsoft Windows Vista® 32-bit and 64-bit with USB 2.0 support
For information about support for these operating systems, visit
Note: Previous versions of these operating systems are not supported.
For a list of completed Linux certifications, visit
Operating systems other than those preinstalled on the system may not perform all functions at an optimal level. To view considerations or Service Hints and Tips by operating system, visit
- In the middle of the page, in the Quick path to a product field, enter your system's four-digit machine type and three-digit model number, such as 2511-123.
- On the left side of the page, click Hints and Tips.
- In the middle of the page, select a category such as Windows 2000 to see the list of considerations or hints and tips for your machine type.
Compatibility and supported products
Contact your ThinkPad representative for a list of supported features and options.
PC card: The ThinkPad T61 notebook conforms to the PC Card Standard 95. The new PC Card Standard encompasses both the former 16-bit Release 2.1 card standard and the new 32-bit CardBus card. Other PC card adapters that comply with the PC Card Standard may also function, but have not been tested by Lenovo.
Vendor software compatibility
Lenovo tests a large number of commonly used and available applications for compatibility with its ThinkPad systems using supporting operating systems and configurations. In general, you can expect that most vendor applications designed to run on supported operating systems and Intel®-compatible system architectures should be compatible with a ThinkPad system. Some configurations, however, may not be compatible.
Lenovo does not warrant or support vendor software products, nor guarantee compatibility of those products with Lenovo systems. Refer to the applicable warranty and license terms provided by the respective vendors.
ThinkPad T61 systems contain BIOS in their flash ROM and a GUI to set up the system and power management features. BIOS provides the hardware instructions and interfaces designed to support the standard features of the ThinkPad T61 computer and to maintain compatibility with many software programs currently operating.
Limitations: For a list of tips about running various versions of operating systems, visit
I/O port access: You can limit accessible I/O ports on the system using the I/O Port Access menu in BIOS setup. This feature prevents unexpected information leak through the I/O ports, The following I/O devices are supported:
- Ethernet LAN
- Wireless LAN
- USB port
- IEEE port
- Parallel port
- CardBus slot
- PCI Express slot
- Bay option (HDD/Optical)
- Memory card slot
- The Ultrabay does not support the combination of PATA HDD and ThinkPad 2nd HDD Adapter Option (62P4554) although the second HDD adapter can be physically attached to the Ultrabay.
- Do not use the RJ-11, RJ-45, or VGA port on the computer when it is docked on the ThinkPad Advanced Dock, ThinkPad Advanced Mini-Dock, or ThinkPad Essential Port Replicator.
- Systems with the WLAN product permit legal operation worldwide in regions in which it is approved. This product has been tested and certified to be interoperable by the Wireless Ethernet Compatibility Alliance and is authorized to carry the Wi-Fi brand.
- Using Wi-Fi wireless and optional Bluetooth products together may impact the performance of both.
Cable orders: All cables are included in the shipment group.
Installability: ThinkPad T61 systems require approximately 20 minutes for installation. Installation includes unpacking, setting up, and powering on the system. Additional time is required to install optional memory and other optional features.
- System unit with the appropriate processor, HDD, and display
- Proper memory installed
- Proper optical drive installed
- Modem, Ethernet, and IEEE 1394 high-speed port
- Wi-Fi wireless card on selected models
- Bluetooth card and antenna on selected models
- Appropriate preloaded software
- System unit with U.S. English keyboard
- AC adapter
- Rechargeable battery pack (Li-Ion)
- Power cord
- TrackPoint® caps
- ThinkPad T Series Service and Troubleshooting Guide
- ThinkPad T Series Setup Guide
- Envelope Group BM (Miscellaneous Envelope)
Security, auditability, and control
Passwords: These password-protection mechanisms are available:
- Power-on passwords to help protect the system from unauthorized use
- Supervisor password for use by a system administrator
- HDD password to help protect data on the removable HDD
In addition, an optional locking device in the Lenovo security slot provides physical security.
The customer is responsible for evaluation, selection, and implementation of security features,
administrative procedures, and appropriate controls in application systems and communications
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
IBM Global Financing: Yes
To obtain copies of the Lenovo Statement of Limited Warranty, contact your reseller or Lenovo.
In the United States, call 800-426-7378 or write to:
500 Park Offices Drive
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Attn: Dept ZPYA/B500
Warranty period for machine types 7659 and 7663
- System hardware Three years on parts and labor
- System battery One year
Optional Lenovo features initially installed in a Lenovo system carry the same warranty period as the system. If installed after the initial system installation, they carry the balance of the system warranty or the optional feature warranty, whichever is greater.
Warranty service: If required, your service provider provides repair or exchange service depending on the type of warranty service specified for the machine. A service technician will attempt to resolve your problem over the telephone. You must follow the problem determination and resolution procedures. Scheduling of service will depend upon the time of your call and is subject to parts availability. Service levels are response time objectives and are not guaranteed. The specified level of warranty service may not be available in all worldwide locations. Additional charges may apply outside your service providers normal service area. Contact your local service provider representative or your reseller for country- and location-specific information.
Customer replaceable unit (CRU) service: Lenovo will ship CRUs to you for you to install. Tier 1 CRUs are easy to install whereas Tier 2 CRUs require some technical skill and tools. CRU information and replacement instructions are shipped with your machine and are available from Lenovo at any time on your request. You may request that a service provider install CRUs, at no additional charge, under the type of warranty service designated for your machine. Lenovo specifies in the materials shipped with a replacement CRU whether a defective CRU must be returned. When return is required, return instructions and a container are shipped with the replacement CRU. You may be charged for the replacement CRU if Lenovo does not receive the defective CRU within 30 days of your receipt of the replacement.
Courier or depot service: You will disconnect the failing machine for collection arranged by your service provider. A shipping container will be provided to you for you to return your machine to a designated service center. A courier will pick up your machine and deliver it to the designated service center. Following its repair or exchange, the service center will arrange the return delivery of the machine to your location. You are responsible for its installation and verification. This type of service is called EasyServ in the U.S. and Canada.
Call 800-426-7378 to assist with problem isolation for hardware to determine if warranty service is required. Telephone support may be subject to additional charges, even during the limited warranty period. If a hardware problem is identified, the Customer Support Center will either initiate the shipment of a CRU or arrange for a courier to pick up the system for overnight delivery (where available) to the repair location. Most repairs should be made within 48 hours after the system is received at the repair location (actual repair time may vary). Keep the original shipping carton for shipping to the repair location. If the original shipping carton is not available, the courier will deliver a shipping carton and return to pick up the system for delivery to the repair location.
International Warranty Service (IWS): IWS is available during the warranty period to customers who travel or relocate to countries where their computer is sold and serviced by a service provider authorized to perform warranty service. Eligible Lenovo computers are identified by their four-digit machine type.
You can obtain IWS through the method of service, such as CRU, depot, carry-in or on-site, provided in the servicing country. Service methods and procedures vary by country, and some service or parts may not be available in all countries. Service centers in certain countries may not be able to service all models of a particular machine type. In addition, some countries may have fees and restrictions that apply at the time of service.
Note: Due to the earth's magnetic field, CRT monitors are manufactured to work in northern, southern, and equatorial regions of the earth and may not produce a satisfactory image when moved between them. Any required adjustment (if possible) is not covered under IWS and may be subject to a chargeable action. The magnetic field does not affect flat-panel LCD monitors and ThinkPad LCD displays.
Licensing: Programs included with this product are licensed under the terms and conditions of the license agreements that are shipped with the system.
ThinkPlus and Lenovo Care Maintenance Services
Warranty and maintenance options: The announced products may be eligible for ThinkPlus and Lenovo Care Maintenance Services, convenient prepackaged offerings for warranty service upgrades and maintenance services.
Installation services: The announced products may be eligible for ThinkPlus and Lenovo Care Maintenance Installation Services, convenient prepackaged offerings for installation services.
Refer to the Prices section for information on the availability of ThinkPlus and Lenovo Care Maintenance Services.
Field-installable features: Yes
Model conversions: No
machine installation: Customer setup. Customers are responsible for installation according to the instructions Lenovo provides with the machine.
Graduated program license charges apply: No
Licensed internal code and licensed machine code: This product does not contain licensed internal code or licensed machine code.
Back to top
The prices provided in this announcement are suggested retail prices for the U.S. only and are provided for your information only. Prices are subject to change without notice. For additional information and current prices, contact your local Lenovo representative.
U.S. English machines
Machine Part type/ List Description number model price(8) ThinkPad T61 76592UU 7659-2UU $1,310 (14.1-inch WXGA TFT (1280 x 768), Bluetooth wireless technology, integrated fingerprint reader, Intel Core 2 Duo processor T7500, Mobile Intel GM965 Express Chipset, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100, 80 GB / 5400 rpm, CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo, 1 GB, Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG, six-cell battery, PC Card Slot, ExpressCard Slot, SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 SP1) ThinkPad T61 76633LU 7663-3LU 1,684 (14.1-inch WXGA+ TFT (1400 x 900), Bluetooth wireless technology, integrated fingerprint reader, Intel Core 2 Duo processor T7500, Mobile Intel PM965 Express Chipset, NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M, 120 GB / 5400 rpm, DVD Recordable, 2 GB, Intel PRO/wireless 3945ABG, six-cell battery, PC Card Slot, ExpressCard Slot, SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 SP1) (8) List price does not include tax or shipping and is subject to change without notice. Reseller prices may vary.
ThinkPlus services for warranty and maintenance
The offerings below apply to all models of machine types 7659 and 7663.
ThinkPlus Description part number 2-year IOR 9 x 5 NBD 41C9175 3-year IOR 9 x 5 NBD 41C9176 4-year IOR 9 x 5 NBD 41C9177 5-year IOR 9 x 5 NBD 41C9179 4-year P&L P/U Depot 41C9178 5-year P&L P/U Depot 41C9180 IOR = On-site repair NBD = Next business day
ThinkPlus MA for post warranty/warranty service upgrade service
ThinkPlus Description part number 1-year IOR 9 x 5 NBD 41C9279 1-year P&L P/U Depot 41C9278 2-year IOR 9 X 5 NBD 41C9281 2-year P&L P/U Depot 41C9280
IBM Global Services is the preferred, authorized warranty service, warranty service upgrade, and post-warranty service provider for Lenovo products (excluding mainland China).
For ServiceElect (ESA) maintenance service charges, contact IBM Global Services at 888-426-4343.
IBM Global Financing: IBM Global Financing offers competitive financing to credit-qualified customers to assist them in acquiring IT solutions. Offerings include financing for IT acquisition, including hardware, software, and services, from both IBM and other manufacturers or vendors. Offerings (for all customer segments: small, medium, and large enterprise), rates, terms, and availability can vary by country. Contact your local IBM Global Financing organization or visit
IBM Global Financing offerings are provided through IBM Credit LLC in the United States, and other IBM subsidiaries and divisions worldwide to qualified commercial and government customers. Rates are based on a customer's credit rating, financing terms, offering type, equipment type, and options, and may vary by country. Other restrictions may apply. Rates and offerings are subject to change, extension, or withdrawal without notice.
Financing solutions from IBM Global Financing can help you stretch your budget and affordably acquire the new product. But beyond the initial acquisition, our end-to-end approach to IT management can also help keep your technologies current, reduce costs, minimize risk, and preserve your ability to make flexible equipment decisions throughout the entire technology life cycle.
Back to top