IBM Data Server Manager V1.1, a simple, scalable, smart solution, helps improve performance management and database administration for IBM DB2 for Linux, UNIX and Windows environmentsIBM United States Software Announcement 215-091
March 10, 2015
|Table of contents|
|At a glance|
IBM® Data Server Manager V1.1 helps organizations manage their IBM DB2® databases across the enterprise through tooling that has a common integrated console, enhanced simplicity, improved performance and scalability, and simplified workflow with actionable recommendations. Organizations can:
- Simplify database administration and reduce errors with integrated web console to view and monitor the health of databases across the enterprise.
- Identify, diagnose, prevent, and solve performance problems with a more predictable database server execution environment.
- Track and manage client/server and database environment efficiently with centralized management.
- Optimize database performance with expert recommendations on query design, unique indexes, and statistics quality.
Back to top
For ordering, contact your IBM representative or an IBM Business Partner. For more information, contact the Americas Call Centers at: 800-IBM-CALL (426-2255).
Back to top
Increased data management investments and the exponential growth of data means that businesses need more help to improve database and application performance, and reduce costs. IBM Data Server Manager V1.1, which is easy to deploy and manager, is ready to help tackle everyday database challenges.
Data Server Manager offers a simple integrated web console to administer, monitor, manage, and optimize IBM DB2 for Linux, UNIX and Windows databases across the enterprise. It provides database administrators (DBAs) and other IT staff with the information they need to manage performance proactively and helps prevent problems before they impact the business.
The configuration management can help you understand and control your environment more efficiently by providing an inventory of clients and servers, tracking changes to client/server properties and comparing client/server environments with best practices configurations. Data Server Manager also makes expert recommendations, including advice on which traditional tables can take advantage of shadow tables for and when it makes sense to convert your existing tables to tables that can use BLU Acceleration. All of this can help you optimize application performance, reduce the need for specialized skills, and lower total cost of ownership.
Data Server Manager is being provided as an update to the IBM Business Value Offerings in the Performance Management Offering for Non-Advanced DB2 for Linux, UNIX and Windows environments. Companies that own DB2 Advanced editions will also be able to get the capability of Data Server Manager.
How can businesses get their hands on the new Data Server Manager?
Data Server Manager is available for download if you own DB2 Advanced Enterprise Server Edition or DB2 Advanced Workgroup Server Edition. For nonadvanced editions of DB2 there is the newly announced Business Value Offerings, specifically the Performance Management Offering that will offer Data Server Manager.
Refer to the following Software Announcement for details:
- 215-028, dated January 20, 2015
Back to top
To obtain the current information for supported Hardware environments and Software requirement, refer to
Back to top
|Planned availability date|
March 20, 2015
Back to top
IBM Data Server Manager V1.1 is designed to help you get the most from your investment in IBM DB2 for Linux, UNIX and Windows. The tool helps you optimize your IBM DB2 performance, improve the availability of data stored in DB2, and finally increase the productivity of your staff across the several roles that work with your data. All of these great benefits lead to the ultimate advantage of reducing your operational costs.
Simplify database administration and reduce errors
- Manage databases, database instances, for standard database partitioning feature and IBM DB2 pureScale® topologies, and database objects efficiently using built-in wizards (tools).
- Simplify query building, editing, tuning, and formatting, and increase operational efficiency through enhanced navigational capabilities to rapidly find relevant database objects.
- Create, schedule, and track command scripts and utilities; manage jobs configuring email notifications in command scripts to report upon job completion.
- Run commands on multiple objects and manage cluster members using DB2 pureScale environment.
- Support column-organized tables with the ability to create, alter, or drop columns.
Identify, diagnose, prevent, and solve performance problems
- Monitor the cross-database landscape, including clients (DB2 servers) to find problematic databases and bottlenecks across the application stack, namely, applications, application servers, and network.
- Identify emergent problems quickly and alert staff with email notification or generate Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) traps for centralized enterprise management.
- Diagnose the root cause of problems using interactive diagnostic dashboards for trend and root cause analysis with the ability to drill down for more detailed, resource-specific information.
- Prevent performance problems by identifying high cost queries, stored procedures, and workloads with powerful SQL collection and analysis.
- Solve performance problems faster with automated responses to alerts through user-defined jobs and expert actionable tuning recommendation on problematic or high-cost workloads.
Track and manage client/server and database environment efficiently
- Enforce any application client and driver properties or special registers remotely, including workload balancing properties in DB2 pureScale, to match best practices configurations.
- Decrease application outages and slowdowns with automatic detection of configuration changes, such as issue alerts when configurations deviate from best practices.
- Route poorly behaving data clients across Linux, UNIX ,and Microsoft Windows data servers to meet performance and availability objectives.
- Optimize storage requirements of the full DB2 environment by showing storage savings across multiple databases, including compression opportunities and trapped storage.
- Isolate poorly behaving application clients to certain members within a DB2 pureScale data sharing group environment.
Optimize database performance with expert recommendations
- Enable database administrators of different skill levels to review and tune queries.
- Get advice with enhanced precision about statistics, indexes, shadow and column-organized tables, statistical views, materialized query tables, multidimensional clustering, and redistribution of data over database partitions.
- View estimates of performance improvements and use what-if analysis to test indexes virtually before creating them.
- Analyze storage access patterns and find savings.
- Compare before and after access plans to view performance improvements or regressions, and lock down when needed.
Back to top
Product information is available via the Offering Information website
Also, visit the Passport Advantage® website
Back to top
No hardcopy publications are shipped with this program.
The IBM Publications Center portal is located at
The Publications Center is a worldwide central repository for IBM product publications and marketing material with a catalog of 70,000 items. Extensive search facilities are provided. A large number of publications are available online in various file formats, and they can all be downloaded by all countries.
Back to top
IBM Software Services has the breadth, depth, and reach to manage your services needs. You can leverage the deep technical skills of our lab-based, software services team and the business consulting, project management, and infrastructure expertise of our IBM Global Services team. Also, we extend our IBM Software Services reach through IBM Business Partners to provide an extensive portfolio of capabilities. Together, we provide the global reach, intellectual capital, industry insight, and technology leadership to support a wide range of critical business needs.
To learn more about IBM Software Services or to contact a Software Services sales specialist, visit
Back to top
Specified operating environment
To obtain the current information for supported hardware environments and software requirement, refer to
The program's specifications and specified operating environment information may be found in documentation accompanying the program, if available, such as a readme file, or other information published by IBM, such as an announcement letter. Documentation and other program content may be supplied only in the English language.
|IBM Data Server Manager Enterprise Edition is bundled in:||IBM DB2 Advanced Workgroup Server Edition V10.5|
|IBM DB2 Performance Management Offering V10.5|
|IBM DB2 Developers Edition V10.5|
|IBM DB2 Advanced Enterprise Server Edition V10.5|
|IBM Data Server Manager Base Edition is bundled in:||IBM DB2 Enterprise Server Edition V10.5|
|IBM DB2 Workgroup Edition V10.5|
|IBM DB2 Express® Edition V10.5|
IBM Data Server Manager Enterprise Edition contains advanced functionality for performance management and database administration.
IBM Data Server Manager Base is a free version of the product that gives you basic performance management and database administration.
This program, when downloaded from a website, contains the applicable IBM license agreement and License Information, if appropriate, and will be presented for acceptance at the time of installation of the program. For future reference, the license and License Information will be stored in a directory such as LICENSE.TXT.
Back to top
|Terms and conditions|
The information provided in this announcement letter is for reference and convenience purposes only. The terms and conditions that govern any transaction with IBM are contained in the applicable contract documents such as the IBM International Program License Agreement, IBM International Passport Advantage Agreement, and the IBM Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance.
IBM International Program License Agreement including the License Information document and Proof of Entitlement (PoE) govern your use of the program. PoEs are required for all authorized use. Part number products only, offered outside of Passport Advantage, where applicable, are license only and do not include Software Maintenance.
Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance
These programs are licensed under the IBM Program License Agreement (IPLA) and the associated Agreement for Acquisition of Software Maintenance, which provide for support with ongoing access to releases and versions of the program. IBM includes one year of Software Subscription and Support (also referred to as Software Maintenance) with the initial license acquisition of each program acquired. The initial period of Software Subscription and Support (also referred to as Software Maintenance) can be extended by the purchase of a renewal option, if available. These programs have a one-time license charge for use of the program and an annual renewable charge for the enhanced support that includes telephone assistance (voice support for defects during normal business hours), as well as access to updates, releases, and versions of the program as long as support is in effect.
Limited warranty applies
IBM warrants that when the program is used in the specified operating environment, it will conform to its specifications. The warranty applies only to the unmodified portion of the program. IBM does not warrant uninterrupted or error-free operation of the program or that IBM will correct all program defects. You are responsible for the results obtained from the use of the program.
IBM provides you with access to IBM databases containing information on known program defects, defect corrections, restrictions, and bypasses at no additional charge. For further information, consult the IBM Software Support Handbook found at
If for any reason you are dissatisfied with the program and you are the original licensee, you may obtain a refund of the amount you paid for it, if within 30 days of your invoice date you return the program and its PoE to the party from whom you obtained it. If you downloaded the program, you may contact the party from whom you acquired it for instructions on how to obtain the refund.
For clarification, note that for programs acquired under any of IBM's On/Off Capacity on Demand (On/Off CoD) software offerings, this term does not apply since these offerings apply to programs already acquired and in use by you.
Volume orders (IVO)
Passport Advantage applies
Software Subscription and Support applies
Yes. Software Subscription and Support (also referred to as Software Maintenance) is included with licenses purchased through Passport Advantage and Passport Advantage Express. Product upgrades and Technical Support are provided by the Software Subscription and Support offering as described in the Agreements. Product upgrades provide the latest versions and releases to entitled software and Technical Support provides voice and electronic access to IBM support organizations, worldwide.
IBM includes one year of Software Subscription and Support with each program license acquired. The initial period of Software Subscription and Support can be extended by the purchase of a renewal option, if available.
While your Software Subscription and Support is in effect, IBM provides you assistance for your routine, short duration installation and usage (how-to) questions, and code-related questions. IBM provides assistance via telephone and, if available, electronic access, only to your information systems (IS) technical support personnel during the normal business hours (published prime shift hours) of your IBM support center. (This assistance is not available to your end users.) IBM provides Severity 1 assistance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. For additional details, consult your IBM Software Support Handbook at
For additional information about the International Passport Advantage Agreement and the IBM International Passport Advantage Express Agreement, visit the Passport Advantage website at
System i Software Maintenance applies
Variable charges apply
Educational allowance available
Back to top
|Statement of good security practices|
IT system security involves protecting systems and information through prevention, detection, and response to improper access from within and outside your enterprise. Improper access can result in information being altered, destroyed, or misappropriated or can result in misuse of your systems to attack others. Without a comprehensive approach to security, no IT system or product should be considered completely secure and no single product or security measure can be completely effective in preventing improper access. IBM systems and products are designed to be part of a comprehensive security approach, which will necessarily involve additional operational procedures, and may require other systems, products, or services to be most effective. IBM does not warrant that systems and products are immune from the malicious or illegal conduct of any party.
Back to top
To order, contact your Americas Call Centers, local IBM representative, or your IBM Business Partner. To identify your local IBM representative or IBM Business Partner call 800-IBM-4YOU (426-4968). For more information, contact the Americas Call Centers.
Phone: 800-IBM-CALL (426-2255)
Fax: 800-2IBM-FAX (242-6329)
For IBM representative: firstname.lastname@example.org
For IBM Business Partner: email@example.com
- IBM Teleweb Customer Support
- ibm.com® Sales Execution Center, Americas North
- 3500 Steeles Ave. East, Tower 3/4
- Markham, Ontario
- Canada L3R 2Z1
- Reference: YE001
The Americas Call Centers, our national direct marketing organization, can add your name to the mailing list for catalogs of IBM products.
Note: Shipments will begin after the planned availability date.
IBM, DB2, Passport Advantage, System i, pureScale, Express and ibm.com are registered trademarks of IBM Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the United States, other countries, or both.
UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the United States and other countries.
Windows and Microsoft are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Other company, product, and service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.
For the most current information regarding IBM products, consult your IBM representative or reseller, or visit the IBM worldwide contacts page